Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Indycar Series

Old 29 May 2013, 13:58 (Ref:3255007)   #126
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazyking View Post
Do people really care that much about the appearance of the car to stop watching? I would think as long as the action was good, it wouldn't really matter.. I'm a casual indycar fan who has enjoyed the racing so much this year, I've become a bigger fan. I think casual fans if they watched five mins of the 500 would have stayed.

Now, could the look be improved? without a doubt.
The look not only matters; it's essential. Racing maybe enough for me or you but to recover the series, the cars need to look the part

Lot's of junior single seater championships race well but they don't draw interest. The cars need to look the part as befits a premier series otherwise the interest will continue to flatline.

I think Walker appreciates this.
Old 29 May 2013, 15:35 (Ref:3255027)   #127
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazyking View Post
Do people really care that much about the appearance of the car to stop watching? I would think as long as the action was good, it wouldn't really matter.. I'm a casual indycar fan who has enjoyed the racing so much this year, I've become a bigger fan. I think casual fans if they watched five mins of the 500 would have stayed.

Now, could the look be improved? without a doubt.
I don't think it helps. Both TV audiences and track attendance are down on last year. When the DW12 was launched, there were two versions. The one that's being used now,

and this one.

At the time, questions were raised about the need for the airbox.

Aesthetics aside, I believe the fundamental problem is the spec nature of IndyCar. It doesn't allow for innovation, variety or competition, which both Miles and Walker have been talking about and which is at the heart of IndyCar racing. IndyCar was never about spec racing and if you go back through the history of the sport, there have been many different manufacturers competing with each other. Without competition you get stagnation.
Old 29 May 2013, 15:57 (Ref:3255037)   #128
FordCosworthPanoz
Veteran

Bermuda
Flatts Village
FordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Go into any household in America and ask them to name an Indycar driver. The only one that might pop up is Marco Andretti and that's because of his father and grandfather's racing legacy when Open Wheel racing was still a blip on the radar in the United States. They couldn't even promote Ryan Hunter Reay, so there's no way they can promote Tony Kanaan a relatively unknown middle-aged Brazilian driver outside of a small niche who is likely close to retirement.

It's not just the cars, if you think people cared more about Penske's 1994 Merc Ilmor than they did Al Unser Jr then you're kidding yourself. That's why 400,000 people at the track and 10% of the total tv viewing population went crazy when Emo crashed at Indy and were cheering for Al to win the race: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnNDdJm80BA It's also another reason why every single points NASCAR race this year has outdrawn the thriller that was the 2013 Indianapolis 500. Jeff Gordon, Tony Stewart, Jimmie Johnson, Kyle Busch, Danica Patrick and Kasey Kahne are all household names for various reasons. Also, they have up and coming future household names like Kyle Larson, Alex Bowman and Ryan Blaney waiting in the winds.

Yes the cars need work, and the race cars at Indy need more horsepower than the pace car, but without big name drivers it just won't draw outside of a small and dying niche like it currently does. And it's up to Indycar to do it, nobody else, it says a lot when the biggest driver headline at Indy this year was Kurt Busch testing for Andretti.
Old 29 May 2013, 16:08 (Ref:3255043)   #129
FordCosworthPanoz
Veteran

Bermuda
Flatts Village
FordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canada ALMS fan View Post
One has to wonder - If they had the same crew that does the broadcasts on NBCSN would that have helped the ratings at all? Marty Roth is terrible and I wanted to reach through the TV and grab Cheever by the throat, it was hard to listen to him. For the "Greatest Spectacle in Racing" they sure have amateur hour in the booth.

Canadian Chicane Marty Roth does Indycar commentary?

If this were the case, then the NBCSN broadcasts wouldn't be the lowest they've been since they went to the Versus network back in 09 and consistently down from 2012 which was consistently down from 2011. Most Casual Sports fans hear much worse than Marty Reid, but they still don't watch Indycar. I'll admit Underacheever was cringe-worthy, but he's no worse than the Waltrips or most NFL commentators.
Old 29 May 2013, 16:14 (Ref:3255046)   #130
FordCosworthPanoz
Veteran

Bermuda
Flatts Village
Quote:
Originally Posted by DS" View Post
But not by a large margin, as it seems. The potential for good ratings is there. If only the NBC Sports Network would score much higher ratings, or IndyCar got somehow back to ESPN, things would look more bright for the series.

Thanks for explaining the ratings, by the way.

It will be a pretty large margin come the finals, but here is the overall graph for recent overnight Indy 500 vs Coke 600 ratings, typically the final brings in increased margins or success for NASCAR due to reasons previously mentioned:

*Note the Danica Bump in 2005

Indy 500 was on ABC. Coke 600 was on FOX, every tv viewing household in America has both.

P.S. The final rating (market share) was a 3.7 not the lowest ever (2010 3.6), However with 5.7 Million viewers it was the least watched Indianapolis 500 in history.

Final for Coke 600 was 4.3 and 7.1 Million viewers, down one point from last year.
Old 29 May 2013, 16:40 (Ref:3255055)   #131
Canada ALMS fan
Veteran

Canada
Calgary, Canada
Canada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCanada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCanada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by FordCosworthPanoz View Post
Canadian Chicane Marty Roth does Indycar commentary?
They say the brain is first to go...
Old 29 May 2013, 16:42 (Ref:3255058)   #132
Canada ALMS fan
Veteran

Canada
Calgary, Canada
Canada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCanada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCanada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
It will be a pretty large margin come the finals, but here is the overall graph for recent overnight Indy 500 vs Coke 600 ratings, typically the final brings in increased margins or success for NASCAR due to reasons previously mentioned:

Indy 500 was on ABC. Coke 600 was on FOX, every tv viewing household in America has both.

P.S. The final rating (market share) was a 3.7 not the lowest ever (2010 3.6), However with 5.7 Million viewers it was the least watched Indianapolis 500 in history.

Final for Coke 600 was 4.3 and 7.1 Million viewers, down one point from last year.
Interesting to note that Monaco on NBC drew 1.5M this year too. The chart for Indycar is just depressing, getting even tougher to find sponsorship going forward now.
Old 29 May 2013, 18:10 (Ref:3255096)   #133
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think the important thing to note is all the seating they took out at the track earlier this year so it would not look empty.

I remember a few years ago when big swaths of empty seats started appearing, Tim Northcutt tried to explain it away as everyone getting up to use the bathroom at the same. We know strange things go on in Indiana but even this was a bit unlikely.

So what I'd be concerned about is even the local faithful in Indiana have given up on the kool aid and whatever is served them as "indycar" by the hulman george and the "tradition" is dying out fast, as all traditions do eventually. Time moves on and the speedway is a relic of the 20th century. It is the past and not the future.
Old 29 May 2013, 18:14 (Ref:3255098)   #134
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canada ALMS fan View Post
Interesting to note that Monaco on NBC drew 1.5M this year too. The chart for Indycar is just depressing, getting even tougher to find sponsorship going forward now.
And F1 has plans for up to 3-4 races here by 2016 which will mop up the dollars from the trendy old CART crowd who have moved our cards back over to F1.

People would probably be amazed how little commercial dollars flow into the indy racing league. You can paint a car a bunch of pretty colors but that doesn't mean you are flush with dollars.
Old 30 May 2013, 12:14 (Ref:3255426)   #135
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainstar View Post
And F1 has plans for up to 3-4 races here by 2016 which will mop up the dollars from the trendy old CART crowd who have moved our cards back over to F1
And yet you are still here
Old 30 May 2013, 12:38 (Ref:3255446)   #136
FordCosworthPanoz
Veteran

Bermuda
Flatts Village
Quote:
Originally Posted by D.R.T. View Post
And yet you are still here

"Some men just like to watch the World Burn."
Old 31 May 2013, 07:37 (Ref:3255854)   #137
marcostraz
Veteran

marcostraz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

Two things:
1) The chart for Indycar is just depressing like someone said before, but NASCAR it's not so much better;

2) The trend is not proportional to the level of the field (actual field is more competitive than pre-reunion period)...so, I don't think is not a problem concerning the racing competition...also beacuse the last two Indy 500 was two of the most exciting race in the last years...
Old 31 May 2013, 17:02 (Ref:3256075)   #138
FordCosworthPanoz
Veteran

Bermuda
Flatts Village
That's for the 500, most NASCAR races on FOX score 3.8-5.0s. Most Indycar Races on NBCSN score 0.1s to 0.4s and on ABC 0.8s to 0.9s. So basically for every other race Indycar wouldn't even be close to even being on that chart.

NASCARs ratings really have leveled off after double digit declines from 06-2010. 2011 Ratings were up, 2012 Ratings were down and 2013 ratings are steady.

When you score better than the Indy 500 does EVERY weekend in the early season, you're doing pretty well.

The Daytona 500 scored a 9.9.
Old 1 Jun 2013, 01:26 (Ref:3256249)   #139
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
Quote:
"Some men just like to watch the World Burn."
Yes it is fun to drop in every so often, talk to old friends and see what befuddling decisions and backward thinking the hulman georges have deployed lately.
Old 1 Jun 2013, 06:15 (Ref:3256270)   #140
fasteric
Rookie

United States
DC Metro area
fasteric should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
240 mph indy race car

http://www.replicarz.com/ShowAdditio...?number=A18107this could be a 240 mph race car at indy
Old 1 Jun 2013, 07:17 (Ref:3256279)   #141
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteric View Post
http://www.replicarz.com/ShowAdditio...?number=A18107this could be a 240 mph race car at indy
Why the headlights, are the Hulman Georges planning a night race? Would certainly be different.
Old 3 Jun 2013, 10:52 (Ref:3257061)   #142
formerf1champ
Veteran

Australia
Vettel's gearbox preparing bench
formerf1champ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've just found out that this year set a new record for the fastest ever 500. I'd be disappointed if I was Arie Luyendyk, that's not a bad stat to have next to your win.

Also, F1 plan to have 3-4 races in America in a few years??? When will these idiots ever learn?
Old 3 Jun 2013, 11:13 (Ref:3257072)   #143
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by formerf1champ View Post
I've just found out that this year set a new record for the fastest ever 500. I'd be disappointed if I was Arie Luyendyk, that's not a bad stat to have next to your win.

Also, F1 plan to have 3-4 races in America in a few years??? When will these idiots ever learn?
I wouldn't be that disappointed, he held that record for over 20 years and still holds the lap record, .
Old 4 Jun 2013, 12:41 (Ref:3257581)   #144
formerf1champ
Veteran

Australia
Vettel's gearbox preparing bench
formerf1champ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I looked up that he's got the single and 4 lap record. It's not a bad treble he had. I suppose the amount of yellows in the race the most significant factor in deciding how quick the race is. So maybe, he's still got the two better ones.