Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 6 May 2014, 07:48 (Ref:3402724)   #26
Alan52
Veteran

Australia
Glenmore Park
Alan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAlan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
In terms of the quality of cars both on the track and on display this was the best historic meeting in Sydney ever.It was particularly good to see the cream of Victorian cars which have never crossed the border there in such good numbers.However the crowd was terribly disappointing not much more than at a normal HSRCA meeting.I don't know what financial inducements were made to get the cars there or the cost of the TV coverage but I'm guessing both the ARDC and the HSRCA took a hit.
I'd love to see this meeting on again next year at it's 2014 level but I'm not so sure it will be.
Old 6 May 2014, 11:15 (Ref:3402793)   #27
bathurst
Racer

Australia
sydney
bathurst should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As a paying spectator just want to say the event was great.
Hope the speedfest returns next year. Shame the spectators numbers were down, but those of us who went thought it was great fields of cars in all categories.
Time gaps can't be helped when it's peoples well being involved.
Always good to see the old cars on the racetrack !!
Old 6 May 2014, 11:54 (Ref:3402811)   #28
jd yort
Veteran

Australia
On An Island
jd yort should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I was out there on the Sunday and it was a fantastic day but definitely could be improved. I know they offered car clubs the opportunity to come and display but I think the notice may of gone out too late. Majority of clubs pick their Social Calendar by November of the previous year. The Torana and the Thoroughbred Sports Car club were the only 2 that seemed to of supported it and I am guessing it was due to the lack of notice.

It was good that you could drive around the circuit and they didn't try and herd people into a parking area. The quality and variety of the cars was excellent. Not everyday you get to see a Benetton F1 competing with a Porsche 962. Having the screen opposite the roof top was a good decisiontoo.

The delays were disappointing. Assuming there was not 2 ambulances there in the morning with the car that caught fire. We saw that happen and it really went up in a fireball and glad to hear the driver is ok. I have to say I thought the response was quite slow. It appeared that all the trucks in that section were pointing away from the main straight. The driver extracted himself and ran some distance up the track before assistance arrived. I wonder if in historic meetings (particularly open wheelers) the ambulance crew should follow the cars for the entire first lap as opposed to pealing off half way around?

Anyway great event and a good platform to build on for next year.
Old 7 May 2014, 03:09 (Ref:3403168)   #29
RedZedMikey
Racer

Australia
Victoria, Australia
RedZedMikey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd yort View Post
I know they offered car clubs the opportunity to come and display but I think the notice may of gone out too late. Majority of clubs pick their Social Calendar by November of the previous year. The Torana and the Thoroughbred Sports Car club were the only 2 that seemed to of supported it and I am guessing it was due to the lack of notice.
Are there no established "big" Historic events in NSW? Has the Historic Racing movement in NSW got a similar body to the VHRR doing the organisation? The 3 big weekends here in Victoria (PI, Sandown, Winton) all get big-time support from the car clubs, no doubt due to the organisation that goes into the club invitations. Our club (Nissan Datsun Sports Owners Club) locks in these events when dates are firmed up, and leaves calendar space where possible. Sometimes conflicts occur, but when that happens usually there are some members that would prefer to do the historic event, while others do the track day or social drive.

Club participation here is supported by issuing limited numbers of free tickets, with discount options. For Phillip Island this year, we had free tickets for owners participating in the club display, with a 50% discount for any passengers. I don't know how many clubs participate at PI with displays, but I reckon there would be at least 50, and the event also gets good support from the general public with realistic ticket pricing.

I hope this NSW event continues to prosper - these historic events are great!
Old 7 May 2014, 08:16 (Ref:3403232)   #30
275 GTB-4
Veteran

Australia
South of Sydney NSW, Australie
275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZedMikey View Post
Are there no established "big" Historic events in NSW? Has the Historic Racing movement in NSW got a similar body to the VHRR doing the organisation?

I hope this NSW event continues to prosper - these historic events are great!
Yes, but it is fragmented into 3 or 4 parts these days.....come back for the Muscle Car Masters which has a good Historic component....
Old 13 May 2014, 02:44 (Ref:3405690)   #31
David Towe
Veteran

England
Glenmore Park NSW
David Towe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The good news is that Speedfest will be back next year. In what form I don't know.