Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 15 May 2014, 03:24 (Ref:3406454)   #1
Terry S
Racer

Terry S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
V8 Supercars Website

The v8 Supercars Website seems to have changed completely in recent times. Now more advertising, which is what they always want.

Is it just me or are others having trouble finding their way around it?
I can't seem to find the latest news.
Old 15 May 2014, 07:22 (Ref:3406496)   #2
eduardo1
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
eduardo1 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grideduardo1 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grideduardo1 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I don't think it's much to do with the advertising - it's just a very poorly designed site.
Old 15 May 2014, 11:10 (Ref:3406585)   #3
JT.
Rookie

Australia
melbourne
JT. should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
the site went backwards when they parted ways with bigpond
Old 15 May 2014, 15:55 (Ref:3406667)   #4
Bell_End
Racer

Jamaica
Church Tower
Bell_End should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
They were running it themselves before it got taken over by yahoo7 not long ago, hopefully only on a one year deal or it could get awkward next year.
Old 16 May 2014, 01:51 (Ref:3406823)   #5
Chris - Melb
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
Chris - Melb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridChris - Melb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Terry, are you still using Windows XP? With recent changes the V8 Supercar website now seems unusable with Internet Explorer 8.

You can download Mozilla Firefox Internet browser for free and it will happily coexist on your computer beside Windows Internet Explorer, giving you a choice between the two browsers, and should get you by until you eventually update your computer.
Old 16 May 2014, 03:04 (Ref:3406827)   #6
F J Nedos
Veteran

Australia
Canberra
F J Nedos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes, ^ that. You can also get google chrome - same concept as firefox.

It amazes me why some web designers put stuff up that only the most recent versions of browsers can properly interpret. Seems lazy and also getting technically carried away without understanding all of the repercussions.
Old 16 May 2014, 05:15 (Ref:3406841)   #7
EBXR8
Veteran

Australia
Australia
EBXR8 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I just updated the bloody Iphone App and now lost access to my previously purchased season pass for live timing, to say im ticked off is an understatement

Anyone else experience this issue??
Old 16 May 2014, 06:42 (Ref:3406849)   #8
Chris - Melb
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
Chris - Melb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridChris - Melb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by F J Nedos View Post

It amazes me why some web designers put stuff up that only the most recent versions of browsers can properly interpret. Seems lazy and also getting technically carried away without understanding all of the repercussions.
Yes, sometimes something 'simple' that is easily accessible by everyone is the way to go.

I did however notice that the V8 Supercar website is running an advert to upgrade from XP. What is that terrible smell I detect in the air?
Old 16 May 2014, 10:40 (Ref:3406894)   #9
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
What have you Google'd lately?
Old 17 May 2014, 04:32 (Ref:3407135)   #10
Terry S
Racer

Terry S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris - Melb View Post
Yes, sometimes something 'simple' that is easily accessible by everyone is the way to go.

I did however notice that the V8 Supercar website is running an advert to upgrade from XP. What is that terrible smell I detect in the air?
That sounds very Irish to me..

They are running an ad to upgrade from XP, BUT I can't read it because I am on XP
Old 17 May 2014, 09:18 (Ref:3407183)   #11
Chris - Melb
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry S View Post
That sounds very Irish to me..

They are running an ad to upgrade from XP, BUT I can't read it because I am on XP
The random banner ad links are the one thing that still work properly on the website with XP, provided you uploaded the final XP updates and have Internet Explorer 8.
Old 18 May 2014, 00:54 (Ref:3407367)   #12
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Looks like they're getting it sorted - was lousy on Safari a couple of days ago but now has all the latest news, videos etc all there and accessible.

Maybe they went live with it a bit too early and they've been getting it sorted on the run or something?
Old 18 May 2014, 22:55 (Ref:3407639)   #13
eduardo1
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
eduardo1 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grideduardo1 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grideduardo1 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by F J Nedos View Post

I work in digital agencies and have managed website projects similar to V8s and can answer that.

It's because browsers, in particular Internet Explorer, which is the 'special child' of browsers, operate in different ways between versions.

To get something working consistently across multiple types of browsers, multiple types of operating systems, plus on tablets, plus on mobile, is massively time-consuming and tricky. So you base your test and compliance plans off browser usage stats.

Internet Explorer has less than 10% of the browser market these days. IE8 has less than 2%. Windows XP is antiquated OS riddled with issues.

By accommodating IE8 on XP, you're committing the greatest amount of work to design & build to the lowest standards for the least amount of people.
Old 19 May 2014, 10:34 (Ref:3407800)   #14
Chris - Melb
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
Oh well, someone must have been listening because it's now fixed for IE8 on XP. Thanks V8 Supercar!

Now I can ditch the annoying Firefox. Little wonder it is losing favour: http://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_stats.asp

In my opinion a lot of websites these days are dumbed-down to the lowest standards, as far as usability is concerned at least.

Last edited by Chris - Melb; 19 May 2014 at 10:49.
Old 19 May 2014, 22:50 (Ref:3408014)   #15
eduardo1
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
Quote:
Oh well, someone must have been listening because it's now fixed for IE8 on XP. Thanks V8 Supercar!

Now I can ditch the annoying Firefox. Little wonder it is losing favour: http://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_stats.asp

In my opinion a lot of websites these days are dumbed-down to the lowest standards, as far as usability is concerned at least.
Ah, yeah they are. Because people don't upgrade from IE8 on XP and we have to cater for them.
Old 20 May 2014, 00:58 (Ref:3408047)   #16
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by eduardo1 View Post
I work in digital agencies and have managed website projects similar to V8s and can answer that.

It's because browsers, in particular Internet Explorer, which is the 'special child' of browsers, operate in different ways between versions.

To get something working consistently across multiple types of browsers, multiple types of operating systems, plus on tablets, plus on mobile, is massively time-consuming and tricky. So you base your test and compliance plans off browser usage stats.

Internet Explorer has less than 10% of the browser market these days. IE8 has less than 2%. Windows XP is antiquated OS riddled with issues.

By accommodating IE8 on XP, you're committing the greatest amount of work to design & build to the lowest standards for the least amount of people.
So.. what is the most popular? I switched to Firefox on this PC 5 years ago.. and while it has its own challenges... I found I could do more with it... and it didnt crash nearly as much...
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 20 May 2014, 02:55 (Ref:3408068)   #17
Chris - Melb
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
Quote:
Originally Posted by eduardo1 View Post
Ah, yeah they are. Because people don't upgrade from IE8 on XP and we have to cater for them.
You missed my point. The overuse of JavaScript, etc and enormous photos makes it hard to find what you want. But it does look flashy and I guess that's what the client asks for.

Notice how Flickr has lost market share since they let their tech heads run riot...

An extreme example of good usability is Craigslist which has deliberately kept the appearance of their website simple and you can easily browse the entire site from a quick glance of the homepage. Try doing that with most website these days!

I keep IE8 on XP so that I can copy files from the temporary Internet folder, something I'm sure I wouldn't be able to do with the newfangled browsers.

GTR, Google Chrome is the most popular: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usage_s...f_web_browsers

Ah yes, Wikipedia is another example of 'keeping it simple'.... and usable.
Old 20 May 2014, 04:19 (Ref:3408081)   #18
eduardo1
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
No, I didn't miss your point. I actually made a similar point earlier about the V8 website.

But you can't necessarily disconnect the two either. There are some great ways of producing easy-to-navigate content with stunning design. But some of those measures are compromised when you need to cater for the lowest level of browser, which is what most corporate clients of mine (past and present) insist upon.
Old 20 May 2014, 04:46 (Ref:3408082)   #19
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
GTR, Google Chrome is the most popular: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usage_s...f_web_browsers
Thanks for that. Given the saturation of iPhones * iPads in the world, you may have thought Safari would have been more prevalent.

And that's another fun problem... not being able to see some sites on the phone because the tech isnt compatible...
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 20 May 2014, 12:18 (Ref:3408229)   #20
eduardo1
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
Thanks for that. Given the saturation of iPhones * iPads in the world, you may have thought Safari would have been more prevalent.

And that's another fun problem... not being able to see some sites on the phone because the tech isnt compatible...
Far more people use PC than Mac.

And Chrome and Firefox have high usage on Mac as well.
Old 22 May 2014, 22:55 (Ref:3409166)   #21
JT.
Rookie

Australia
melbourne
JT. should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Internet explorer is the world's most popular browser for downloading other browsers