Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 16 Sep 2009, 22:37 (Ref:2542457)   #51
Tony C
Racer

Australia
Gold Coast
Tony C should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Another one on the market.... how long til you cant sell AU aussie race cars? maybe they would be good for a state series and leve the main series for Aurions and Commodores? oh but thats right you cant buy a Commodore.... the creator has them all. But then again they will be 'old' soon, just like the AU

http://www.my105.com.au/classified.asp?id=13354
Old 16 Sep 2009, 23:20 (Ref:2542474)   #52
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Does this class still exist? With all the hoopla in the motorsport papers about the inclusion of Honda, of new car styles and models.. the new news seems to have stopped...
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 17 Sep 2009, 00:05 (Ref:2542493)   #53
Denosaur
Veteran

Albania
Australia
Denosaur should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridDenosaur should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think the novelty has worn off finally for ARC. With the GFC, alleged behavior of category management towards officials, on the fly changes to the rule book and the fact that they've been pretty much dropped off the V8SC support list, I don't think anyone is interested.

I know where I'd rather put my money if I was out there at the moment.
Old 17 Sep 2009, 00:44 (Ref:2542509)   #54
mac
Veteran

mac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I also think that the exhorbitant fees charged by V8Supercars for any category to be a part of "the show" has greatly contributed to the dwindling (if not destruction) of many categories in this country - Aussie Racing Cars is but one of them.

There is no doubt that Aussie Racing Cars (not to mention a number of other categories) put on a far greater show than some of the drivel (ie. Minis) served up at V8 rounds.

Unfortunately, how much money you have dictates whether you are in the game - rather than the quality of the product. Sadly, the lack of business acumen at Aussie headquarters means that the category isn't exactly flush with funds.

I was stunned to find out just how much a full season in V8 Utes really costs - it is verging on criminal, but people keep paying...

Note, the constant references to Formula Ford being the "premier" open-wheel class in Australia throughout the telecast at Phillip Island. How different things might be if F3 could afford the V8 "package"...
Old 17 Sep 2009, 01:21 (Ref:2542522)   #55
msportfan
Rookie

msportfan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Will the cars be on the gold coast or has that now been cancelled?
Old 17 Sep 2009, 01:45 (Ref:2542530)   #56
mac
Veteran

mac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Their season will finish with the Gold Coast and with the Superbikes at Phillip Island.
Old 17 Sep 2009, 01:50 (Ref:2542532)   #57
davester
Racer

davester should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just maybe Ward has shown a touch of fine business acumen by pulling ARC off the premium price model (VESA show) and putting it where the punters can afford to race in these tough times?

With Porsche disappearing, Mini and Fujitsu's presenting grid ghosttowns, and Ute competitors being forced to compete because they can't sell their franchises, dollars for support classes are primarily from self funded punters...and most of them are in survival mode back in their businesses.

Don't write off ARC, they may come away in good shape by keeping the wheels turning at an affordable level.

Oh, Formula Ford as our "premier open wheel series", shh! that's hardly a proclamation to be shouting about.
Old 17 Sep 2009, 02:00 (Ref:2542535)   #58
msportfan
Rookie

looking at the website it looks like michael hovey is still running in the series, in an aurion, not the au. So you would have to think the car is just being updated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony C View Post
Another one on the market.... how long til you cant sell AU aussie race cars? maybe they would be good for a state series and leve the main series for Aurions and Commodores? oh but thats right you cant buy a Commodore.... the creator has them all. But then again they will be 'old' soon, just like the AU

http://www.my105.com.au/classified.asp?id=13354
Old 17 Sep 2009, 02:52 (Ref:2542552)   #59
Tony C
Racer

Australia
Gold Coast
Quote:
Originally Posted by davester View Post
Just maybe Ward has shown a touch of fine business acumen by pulling ARC off the premium price model (VESA show) and putting it where the punters can afford to race in these tough times?

With Porsche disappearing, Mini and Fujitsu's presenting grid ghosttowns, and Ute competitors being forced to compete because they can't sell their franchises, dollars for support classes are primarily from self funded punters...and most of them are in survival mode back in their businesses.

Don't write off ARC, they may come away in good shape by keeping the wheels turning at an affordable level.

Oh, Formula Ford as our "premier open wheel series", shh! that's hardly a proclamation to be shouting about.

I dont think its business acumen, more like control. He likes to control 'his' category and everone in it. If you try to be professional and get ahead then you are squashed. Ask anyone that used to own a car (the current owners wont say boo or their car is worthless).

The category could be a legitimate stepping stone out of karts and into the main game. At the moment when they are running with every program (and the calender changes) the competitors will find it hard to get sponsors, which means they wont move up to anything better, so they disappear into has been land.

The category wont drop back to an 'affordable level' (read state level) because the category manager needs a certain level of income to pay for all his expenses (and pay for his, and his sons, racing). So it will be in limbo land forever.

That is a real pity because it is a great concept, and they are great fun to drive. Oh well, such is life.
Old 17 Sep 2009, 05:39 (Ref:2542583)   #60
msportfan
Rookie

Quote:
I dont think its business acumen, more like control. He likes to control 'his' category and everone in it. If you try to be professional and get ahead then you are squashed. Ask anyone that used to own a car (the current owners wont say boo or their car is worthless).

The category could be a legitimate stepping stone out of karts and into the main game. At the moment when they are running with every program (and the calender changes) the competitors will find it hard to get sponsors, which means they wont move up to anything better, so they disappear into has been land.

The category wont drop back to an 'affordable level' (read state level) because the category manager needs a certain level of income to pay for all his expenses (and pay for his, and his sons, racing). So it will be in limbo land forever.

That is a real pity because it is a great concept, and they are great fun to drive. Oh well, such is life.
How can a car be made worthless by sayig boo?? isnt a car a car?? maybe im missing somthing here.....
Old 17 Sep 2009, 05:47 (Ref:2542586)   #61
bludvl_x19
Veteran

Australia
umop apisdn
bludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridbludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridbludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridbludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Its all about control. You cant buy a car unless the deal is brokered through Ward. You cant sell one unless he brokers the deal. And as category manager, he wont accept an entry from a person who has 'spoken out.'
And you thought that Tony C (the v8sc one) had control...
Old 17 Sep 2009, 05:57 (Ref:2542590)   #62
Tony C
Racer

Australia
Gold Coast
Quote:
Originally Posted by bludvl_x19 View Post
Its all about control. You cant buy a car unless the deal is brokered through Ward. You cant sell one unless he brokers the deal. And as category manager, he wont accept an entry from a person who has 'spoken out.'
And you thought that Tony C (the v8sc one) had control...
You sound like you have some personal experience too! I am glad we sold our car when we did, they are slow to move at the moment.

If you speak out you cannot race, and you cannot sell, so its worthless. And CAMS support it!!!! what a joke.

BTW We wont be going back to the category as long as Mr Ward is in control. But I would be back in a heartbeat if someone else (professional) was in control. I am sure many former competitors would be the same.
Old 17 Sep 2009, 06:11 (Ref:2542593)   #63
Just Do It!
Veteran

Just Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denosaur View Post
I know where I'd rather put my money if I was out there at the moment.
Where would that be out of interest? Different opinions are always noteworthy.
Old 17 Sep 2009, 06:56 (Ref:2542611)   #64
msportfan
Rookie

As an outsider looking in, the numbers are still there. why are still 25 plus grid sizes in the catagory. the arc is a business for the wards, if anyone had a shop and treated ppl like that, you would be broke in 5 mins
Old 17 Sep 2009, 08:14 (Ref:2542652)   #65
Silver 3
Veteran

Australia
Sovereign Island
Silver 3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
You sound like you have some personal experience too! I am glad we sold our car when we did, they are slow to move at the moment.

If you speak out you cannot race, and you cannot sell, so its worthless. And CAMS support it!!!! what a joke.

BTW We wont be going back to the category as long as Mr Ward is in control. But I would be back in a heartbeat if someone else (professional) was in control. I am sure many former competitors would be the same.
Tony C-- I bleed for you. That said ,can you recall commenting on the situation on Sports/GT cars ? How long did it take you to work out CAMS culpability in handing out exclusive CMA's to the likes of a Phil Ward and others of the same ilk?
Not trying to rub any salt in the wounds( after all you managed to sell out ) --- but your comments in the above post are near enough the same as I have made previously in relation to another CMA situation and you(& others) were slicing into it .
Old 17 Sep 2009, 22:34 (Ref:2543113)   #66
Tony C
Racer

Australia
Gold Coast
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver 3 View Post
can you recall commenting on the situation on Sports/GT cars ?
no I dont recall ever making a comment on sports/GT maybe you can jog my memory?

GTR have you heard anything about the 'honda' thing in ARC? I cant see honda doing it if their hi tech engine is going to be dummed down to be 'equal' with the yamaha. They might be interested if there was a new and old engine classification. The down side of that would see everyone that wants to win having to go out and buy a new honda engine. But at least that would see some yamaha engines available for others (they are hard to find now).
Old 20 Sep 2009, 22:22 (Ref:2544586)   #67
Denosaur
Veteran

Albania
Australia
Denosaur should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridDenosaur should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Do It! View Post
Where would that be out of interest? Different opinions are always noteworthy.
I'd rather go race in improved production in a state race series atm. But things the way they are, rather pocket the money for the time being and sit things out for a while.
Old 21 Sep 2009, 22:28 (Ref:2545533)   #68
msportfan
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by davester View Post

Rumor has it that the arc paddock was promised a calender with rounds with the v8sc, at a price to suit. Turns out that most of the v8sc rounds have been dropped, the calander chopped and changed to run "smaller" events, but the price has remained the same. Fine business acumen you say? Can anyone confirm this?
Old 22 Sep 2009, 23:18 (Ref:2546327)   #69
Tony C
Racer

Australia
Gold Coast
Quote:
Originally Posted by msportfan View Post
Rumor has it that the arc paddock was promised a calender with rounds with the v8sc, at a price to suit. Turns out that most of the v8sc rounds have been dropped, the calander chopped and changed to run "smaller" events, but the price has remained the same. Fine business acumen you say? Can anyone confirm this?
It wouldnt surprise me. Just like the extra money needed for tv at oran park last year that they did not get.... and no refund.

There is always talk of reducing the cost but it never happens.
Old 22 Sep 2009, 23:39 (Ref:2546330)   #70
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
What I have never understood completely is why the cost for the cars is so high when it is basically a Legends car copy from 600 racing?
Old 22 Sep 2009, 23:59 (Ref:2546336)   #71
Tony C
Racer

Australia
Gold Coast
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainstar View Post
What I have never understood completely is why the cost for the cars is so high when it is basically a Legends car copy from 600 racing?
No... if you look at the website they are nothing like the legend!!!!!

No really, apart from the fact that they use the same engine, have the same wheelbase, use a toyota rear end, use a 40s ford body.... they are nothing alike.

In defence of wardy (dont choke, I even surprise myself) the chassis is very different, and it needs to be to conform to our standards, along with the suspension geometry, but I am sure there was a lot of measuring of a legend at the begining.

And its hard to know what an aussie costs to buy new, the website has not been updated in years and I am sure an Aurion or commodore is more expensive based purely on the extra word for the headlights and mirrors etc.
Old 23 Sep 2009, 00:04 (Ref:2546338)   #72
mac
Veteran

The current Aussie Racing Cars are far more impressive race cars than the Legends cars. Ward's business may be compromised in many areas, but his skill as a race car engineer and manufacturer is among the best in this country.

Besides, over the last half dozen years demand for the cars has been huge which, in any industry you care to name, has a natural effect of pushing prices higher...
Old 23 Sep 2009, 00:39 (Ref:2546347)   #73
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
No... if you look at the website they are nothing like the legend!!!!!

No really, apart from the fact that they use the same engine, have the same wheelbase, use a toyota rear end, use a 40s ford body.... they are nothing alike.

In defence of wardy (dont choke, I even surprise myself) the chassis is very different, and it needs to be to conform to our standards, along with the suspension geometry, but I am sure there was a lot of measuring of a legend at the begining.

And its hard to know what an aussie costs to buy new, the website has not been updated in years and I am sure an Aurion or commodore is more expensive based purely on the extra word for the headlights and mirrors etc.
I was just going by used prices I had seen which seemed pretty high for what the car is.

It has been many years now but wasn't Ward the original distributor for legends cars in Oz?

I'm sure that there are some good changes and differences especially considering the aussie cars run on road courses, but the price point seems a bit extreme for what it is. Just my humble opinion.
Old 23 Sep 2009, 00:54 (Ref:2546349)   #74
paydirt
Racer

paydirt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

It has been many years now but wasn't Ward the original distributor for legends cars in Oz?
No. The original importer/distributor was Paul Freestone.

The original quoted price in 1996 for a Legend was approx $24000.00.

A 'little' excessive, even now....

Last edited by paydirt; 23 Sep 2009 at 00:57. Reason: oops
Old 23 Sep 2009, 01:00 (Ref:2546350)   #75
Tony C
Racer

Australia
Gold Coast
Quote:
I was just going by used prices I had seen which seemed pretty high for what the car is.

I'm sure that there are some good changes and differences especially considering the aussie cars run on road courses, but the price point seems a bit extreme for what it is. Just my humble opinion.
The used price has been quite high because you couldnt buy a new car for a few years. Apparently it was to help keep the value up but if lots of people wanted to be in the category the prices would be a better reflection of the class.

But at the moment you cant give cars away. the theils dumped theirs at under 20k each, and there are others that have dropped the price just to get rid of the car and run like hell!!