Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Closed Thread

Old 26 Nov 2009, 10:46 (Ref:2589583)   #326
Uncle Cranker
Veteran

Australia
Victoria; Australia
Uncle Cranker should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourer View Post
Sorry uncle, that most definitely is not the go - imagine a multi car group hard at it in the middle of (say) turn 2 at Bathurst, cars balanced on the edge of the tyres & throttle and then a speed limiter or throttle limit kicks in - they all auger into the barrier. Not cool.

I think that the limiter idea is the go but maybe mandating it by the end of the sector that each car is in when the SC boards come out - it would take some doing but that could be verified & allow each driver to safely reduce speed allowing for the circumstances that they are in.
Tourer, i had contemplated that concept.

I'm sure the engine management boffins could make it slowly drift into play over say 15 - 20 seconds, not just a snap, bang; 75KPH ?

This could even be preceded by 5 - 7 seconds of on-dash flashy yellow light, as a pre-warning, then the go-slow starts to kick in.

People cleverer that me will be able to make it work, I'm just an ideas man!

I have 1000's, and people have told me that sometimes, one of them actually makes sense !
Old 26 Nov 2009, 10:47 (Ref:2589584)   #327
retro
Veteran

Australia
....Qld....
retro should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridretro should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by TWRv12 View Post
Pointless to stop since the SC rules are so half baked, Race Director is struggling with the issue and the odd SC driver is going rogue. Surely you don't believe the issue is anywhere near fixed.
Definitely not mate but the silly winding up/baiting you are all doing to pecky is dragging down the rest of the forum.

jmo...sorry to interrupt while you good fellas are talking.

This would be a good thread for the marshals forum as it's the usual suspects posting in here.

CYA

»-(¯`v´¯)-»........................The retro report........................©®»-(¯`v´¯)-» ê¿~

Disclaimer; the above is pure speculation and only posted for entertainment purposes!!!
Old 26 Nov 2009, 10:48 (Ref:2589585)   #328
Uncle Cranker
Veteran

Australia
Victoria; Australia
Uncle Cranker should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by hml2777 View Post
I have heard it happens fairly frequently at winton v8's because of the exceptional experience of the Racesafe team they use down there.

Easy on me old China !

Are you feeling unwell ?

P.S, I'm returning to the fold this weekend. Victor Pilot no less !
Old 26 Nov 2009, 23:38 (Ref:2589951)   #329
Axeman444
Veteran

Australia
Calling a spade a spade...
Axeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAxeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by peckstar View Post
actually according to me, i say clowns shouldnt run on the track until the cars are under the control of the safety car.

so in all 3 of those cases you have clowns doing something they shouldnt
again though i go back to leaking flammable liquid, or even worse - burning, and do we really want to wait for the field to be bunched behind the SC before the cavalry arrives to help extricate the driver?

thought just popped into my head, Lowndes rollover at Calder. Drivers running across a "live" track to help their colleague. should they have waited for the SC to be deployed?
Old 26 Nov 2009, 23:54 (Ref:2589957)   #330
NewsStalker
Veteran

NewsStalker should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axeman444 View Post
thought just popped into my head, Lowndes rollover at Calder. Drivers running across a "live" track to help their colleague. should they have waited for the SC to be deployed?
Of course! Weren't there a few rumblings (although very short lived) of charges being laid because of this?

Also think back to a very wet Phillip Island with cars aquaplaning across the start/finish line.
Old 27 Nov 2009, 01:49 (Ref:2589980)   #331
johnh875
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
johnh875 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
John

all i am trying to say is that the integrity of the race is relevant to the deployment of the safety car.

I am arguing that the system we currently have works much better the the blanket closing of the pits no matter what
Ok. I would contend that safety is more important than the integrity of the race - eg driver injured or car on fire. You have to gear safety precautions (including SC procedures) around a reasonable worst-case situation, not a minor incident like picking up broken cars. Drivers have been seriously injured (& killed) many times in V8SC in recent years so there needs to be a system to get medical (& fire) response to them as quickly as possible - it can't wait a couple of laps until all cars are in the SC train. How can you reasonably ask these officials to on track with cars going 99-100% pace?

Secondly, any use of the SC under any system affects the integrity of the race, so who cares what the effects are, they are the same for everyone and you win some and lose some. I'd say that a quicker, more effective SC procedure would help the racing by having fewer laps under SC.

Under the current system there is an issue with cars continuing to circulate at race pace under the SC - there is incentive for them to do so! The current system could work if there were any (enforced) penalties for not slowing sufficiently under the SC (or any yellow flag). As Stealthy said - the rules are the problem, they ask the drivers nicely to slow down... Other systems are being suggested to remove the incentive to continue at speed, which is the main objective. A 'Code 60' as implemented overseas is one way of doing it.

Peckstar the "near miss" at PI is an entirely separate issue to the SC stuff-up, it only meant the closing speeds involved were slightly higher than if the train was moving. As dmcl said, the SC boards had been out for a considerable time, as well as the SC itself being on track. What were the drivers doing at full race pace over the crest in the main straight heading into the back of the train? I don't see why they shouldn't be pinged for overtaking under yellow/SC when they slid past the other cars.
Old 27 Nov 2009, 02:22 (Ref:2589997)   #332
Oldtony
Veteran

Australia
Gold Coast Australia
Oldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I go back to my earlier point. A major part of the problem is the mis-use of the Safety car in situations where it's justification is marginal at best.
If drivers have it in their (thick?) heads that a safety car is an opportunity to improve their position the natural reaction is to push on. We need a system where a driver automatically assumes that if race control has called a safety car there must be a dangerous situation on the circuit and that they should slow down.
Currently doesn't happen so there must be something wrong with the rules.
There have been some very sensible suggestions from experienced people in this thread. How do we get the rule makers, and in particular V8SC race control to do something to bring about change?
Old 27 Nov 2009, 02:47 (Ref:2590005)   #333
NewsStalker
Veteran

NewsStalker should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
One thing that keeps getting mentioned here is the closure of pit lane. I know many here would know why NASCAR do this - but I am wondering if our Grandstand Spectator knows why (it appears he doesn't but I could be pleasantly surprised) - so - let's see if he can tell us WHY some are advocating the adoption of the NASCAR system of closing pit lane for 1, 2 or 3 laps when a SC is called.
Old 27 Nov 2009, 10:03 (Ref:2590018)   #334
Aquarius
Racer

Aquarius should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There are a number of us who have worked on the track with V8 Supercars with puit lane closed and with pit lane open, it wasn't that long ago.

Much safer with pit lane closed.
Old 27 Nov 2009, 12:20 (Ref:2590099)   #335
PVDA
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
PVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
On the subject of fires this question was asked about 6 pages ago (I haven't logged in for two days due to being busy "at a race meeting")

Quote:
trying to remember the last time we had one as a result of an accident
about 3 weeks ago, Sandown Historics. Of course this wasn't a VE$A event though.......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l24hW7A8lso

The audio you hear is two of the marshals radio channels at the event.

Last edited by PVDA; 27 Nov 2009 at 12:26.
Old 27 Nov 2009, 13:10 (Ref:2590134)   #336
STEALTHY
Veteran

Australia
SA - The Custom Plate State
STEALTHY should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Now thats how it should be done. Puts a certain 'top class' category to shame!

Awesome vid!
Old 27 Nov 2009, 13:17 (Ref:2590142)   #337
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
thought you would like that stealthy right up your alley, it was a crash and it had flames, almost as good as a reverse grid race hey.

PVDA, I like the way they red flagged it really quickly, sort of similar to what they did with the larko morris incident

was that in practice or a race?
Old 27 Nov 2009, 13:19 (Ref:2590143)   #338
STEALTHY
Veteran

Australia
SA - The Custom Plate State
STEALTHY should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
thought you would like that stealthy right up your alley, it was a crash and it had flames, almost as good as a reverse grid race hey.

PVDA, I like the way they red flagged it really quickly, sort of similar to what they did with the larko morris incident

was that in practice or a race?
Stop baiting. You've proved you never bother to read any posts time and time again.
Old 27 Nov 2009, 13:29 (Ref:2590149)   #339
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
OK, I've had enough. This has long since left the point of the thread and we've reached an impasse. Peckstar's not going to accept an argument, reasoned or not, of why we think he's wrong, but given the amount of personal comment (in both directions, not singling anyone out here) there's nowhere left for the debate to go except downhill.

With that in mind, race over.