Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 10 Jun 2012, 02:23 (Ref:3088295)   #1
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Egg V8Supercar & Social Media

Social media is here to stay... in the form of twitter, facebook, instagram, google+ as well as forums like this one.

For the most part, V8Supercar drivers, teams, team officials, team grunts, grid girls, and anyone else involved in the series seems to have a facebook page, or a twitter account in active use.

So.. what do they share with the world? Their solution for world peace, or announcing after the event that they have spent their day at a charity event, or a hospital visit or other similarly positive activities?

Well, if you believe Mr Ingall most drivers talk about their ability to ride their bicycles the equivalent of a lap of the sun, or sharing pictures of the coffee art atop their latest latte... or that they are off to the gym on a tram... or recommendation requests for movies or restaurants... of perhaps to line up their latest conquests when travelling interstate..

The medium itself allows close contact with the people who make it happen... and the direct access allows for the sharing of information with the great unwashed (i.e. us..) in a far more timely manner than had happened previously.

Also, not every name on the account actually controls it, often a media gumbie is employed to be the information disseminater, with the brand name not absolutely aware sometimes of the output of things in their name.

Indeed some teams have employed full time social media managers, HRT for one has a dedicated resource contracted to coordinate the web presence, the end of day vimeo videos, the picture taking, the loading of same, with commentaries and media releases to most of the forms mentioned above. They are clearly serious about such things, investing in these new channels to keep Gen Y and friends updated on whats going on.

But the discussions arent always positive. Indeed there is one current V8Supercar driver who is so far from politically correct it is a wonder his factory supported team doesnt ban him from the keys. That you delete something from Twitter doesnt actually mean it goes away.

Anyhow... a few weeks ago there was apparently a dustup between a number of drivers on the social media channels... primarily talking effluent, mostly centering around the equivalent of a genitalia measuring competition... but at what point does it go too far..

may be an example of going too far...

There was an ongoing discussion on twitter last night apparently that led to this one...

Every single activity, every single speech, every single email, every single tweet/facebook/google+/photo etc etc is an indictment on the brands that the driver is paid to represent...

... yet there is a lot of stuff that goes beyond what is reasonable.

In Mr Moffat's example above, regardless of the sentiment expressed by the other person, the response is out in the world for all to see... and does not represent anyone concerned in a particularly good light.

As always, everyone is watching. If we can see your account, what you see and do is out in the world for us to see. For us to share with our peers, share with our friends, share during discussions about various racing incidents and events.

The world is watching, and sometimes the people who watch are not excited by what they see...

Last edited by GTRMagic; 10 Jun 2012 at 02:32.
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 10 Jun 2012, 03:48 (Ref:3088303)   #2
STEALTHY
Veteran

Australia
SA - The Custom Plate State
STEALTHY should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Being politically correct is a load of crap these days. I'd rather drivers be able to speak their minds, and show they are real people, than be controlled by the powers that be.

People take offence to the smallest of things nowadays (i'm sure that just offended 100 midgets), they just need to build a bridge and get over it

As for the Moffat comment, that guy is a ****** (also, bonus points for evading the swear filter by posing in a pic )
Old 10 Jun 2012, 10:16 (Ref:3088390)   #3
cptkablamo
Veteran

Australia
cptkablamo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcptkablamo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
this is an interesting one...I don't think it is any secret Australian motorsport does social media badly - you look at this and it is really what we have. Reynolds is lucky that he doesn't have major sponsors that are advising to the gay community - or really is importand enough for media coverage.
We are seeing in the States with Indycar and NASCAR that they are given lessons and the social media is really incoprorated into their website and communications strategy. They run on money supplied by people who buy things and they have plenty of choices. So they can't be too boring or offensive. They need to deal with negative comments with a betteer humour - and to really gain support - and say things that matter.
Social media is not something to be on 'just because' - if you do that you are going to cause yourself no end of harm. If you do it properly...
Old 10 Jun 2012, 10:21 (Ref:3088394)   #4
STEALTHY
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by cptkablamo View Post
Reynolds is lucky that he doesn't have major sponsors that are advising to the gay community
This just in, gay people dont follow motorsport, nor drink alcohol
Old 10 Jun 2012, 12:13 (Ref:3088442)   #5
Gaz170
Veteran

Australia
Gold Coast, QLD
Gaz170 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGaz170 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGaz170 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Surprised by the Moffat comment, follow him on Facebook and it's pretty much all publicising Norton's products. Never actually heard him speak his mind before. And Junior's comment, seriously, if you took offence to it then you need to get a life.
Old 10 Jun 2012, 22:47 (Ref:3088735)   #6
Bugger All
Racer

Australia
32 DME to the west Left Fl 210
Bugger All should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Didn't Stephanie Rice loose a sponsor (was Audi or BMW?) for tweeting something similar to Mr Fiore? I follow these guys on Twitter and actually like seeing the human side of them. It is also very obvious which ones have the most media experience / best manager / training.....
Old 10 Jun 2012, 22:59 (Ref:3088743)   #7
porsche91722
Veteran

Australia
S.E.Qld
porsche91722 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridporsche91722 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridporsche91722 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
This is one of the things about social media that I enjoy. I'm completely over this whole media trained, robotic, sporting personality we see on TV. They're all the same... drivers, swimmers, track and field athletes, footy players. The dialogue must have been all written by the same script writing team. FB and twitter give us the opportunity to hear these guys speak their minds. It's refreshing. Some of it is rubbish, but at least we get an insight as to how and what they really think. It should be up to them as to how far they go with sharing their thoughts. But, as has been previously mentioned, this form of media has been infiltrated by the PR people too. It's only a matter of time.
#paininthearsenazisatitagain
Old 11 Jun 2012, 02:29 (Ref:3088785)   #8
yap
Racer

Australia
Gold Coast
yap should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by STEALTHY View Post
Being politically correct is a load of crap these days. I'd rather drivers be able to speak their minds, and show they are real people, than be controlled by the powers that be.
Well said Stealthy

We are taking the fun out of everything these days
Old 11 Jun 2012, 02:45 (Ref:3088786)   #9
Senna05
Veteran

Australia
Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Senna05 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Is this a rare case of the relatively low profile of the series working in the favour of the drivers?
Old 11 Jun 2012, 03:11 (Ref:3088787)   #10
smokin'joe
Veteran

smokin'joe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
as long as they don't start 'making like a gangsta' and pose with guns !!!!
Old 11 Jun 2012, 03:34 (Ref:3088790)   #11
cptkablamo
Veteran

Australia
cptkablamo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcptkablamo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugger All View Post
Didn't Stephanie Rice loose a sponsor (was Audi or BMW?) for tweeting something similar to Mr Fiore? I follow these guys on Twitter and actually like seeing the human side of them. It is also very obvious which ones have the most media experience / best manager / training.....
Yes...it was jaguar was was also putting a lot of money in to woo the gay community at the same time...

It isn't't a case of being politically correct or not - the best ones are controversial, intelligent and irrevent without being offensive.
There is no value or new followers in having the tweet 'gay' or saying something about exercise. The smart PRs will let them be themselves and say what they think but be able to filter out the useless junk and the stuff that will turn away sponsors
Old 11 Jun 2012, 05:18 (Ref:3088804)   #12
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
just followed reynolds, he seems to be the most "real" of the drivers on the grid.
Old 11 Jun 2012, 06:53 (Ref:3088826)   #13
formerf1champ
Veteran

Australia
Vettel's gearbox preparing bench
formerf1champ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Reynolds comes across as a bit of a **** with that tweet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by STEALTHY View Post
What if drivers demonstrate they don't have minds and they are *********?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senna05 View Post
Is this a rare case of the relatively low profile of the series working in the favour of the drivers?
Hehehe... cochrane...marketing...show...yeah.
Old 11 Jun 2012, 07:11 (Ref:3088830)   #14
STEALTHY
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by formerf1champ View Post
What if drivers demonstrate they don't have minds and they are *********?
I'd rather that, than them be censored.
Old 11 Jun 2012, 07:52 (Ref:3088837)   #15
formerf1champ
Veteran

Australia
Fair enough. Not sure if the **** I'm seeing is all that interesting, though.
Old 11 Jun 2012, 07:53 (Ref:3088839)   #16
STEALTHY
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by formerf1champ View Post
Fair enough. Not sure if the **** I'm seeing is all that interesting, though.
I never said i'd agree with all the comments or take an interest in them, i'd just rather they weren't censored
Old 11 Jun 2012, 11:03 (Ref:3088913)   #17
Micklegend
Veteran

Australia
Canberra
Micklegend should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMicklegend should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
ok...so seriously how many people read Reynolds comment on Fiore's status and giggled? Gotta be serious and say how many blokes would have said the same thing to one of their mates?

Too much fun police these days, good on him for just bagging a mate. Who cares if its in a public domain.

And while Im here, when I first read Ingalls comment about "smashing" things I also laughed, because I follow most drivers and that seriously is all the S#$t they talk about!

If anyone wants a good giggle, follow brighty, stories of his dog are quite amusing.

Any by the way, Im not homophobic....
Old 11 Jun 2012, 12:09 (Ref:3088954)   #18
formerf1champ
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Micklegend View Post

Too much fun police these days, good on him for just bagging a mate. Who cares if its in a public domain.
Are they mates? If that's the case, I take back what I posted before.
Old 11 Jun 2012, 13:43 (Ref:3089025)   #19
Razor
10-10ths official Trekkie
Veteran

Australia
Behind the wheel
Razor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
As a campaigner of LGBT rights, I can see the controversy with Dave Reynold's comment to Dean Fiore. This is with a strong but though, (no pun intended and please no jokes about it) the word "Gay" itself has gotten another meaning. With today's Gen Y and Gen X, it means a general term of disparagement ie; rubbish or lame. (Eg: That car is so gay) Plus the word has had many meanings to it, I bet not a lot of people know that the original meaning for the word "Gay" meant prostitute back in the 17th century.
Old 11 Jun 2012, 16:24 (Ref:3089089)   #20
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Today we have the rise of the "false outrage" crowd that try to create controversy out of meaningless things people say.

Even though a lot of this social media is left to be seen by the public, to me it's still really no one's business to comment on it or if they do, who cares what those people say? In other words it's like if I am having a conversation with someone at the race track and you stop and eavesdrop and then go online to spout off about what I say directly to someone else, your comments really don't have any value. I wasn't talking to you, so whatever you say is meaningless to me.

However there is also a time and place for everything and it seems today many people don't seem to grasp that concept. Especially when you are on the clock and especially representing a manufacturer or sponsors, being professional and focusing on the task at hand is key, no matter how you are communicating.
Old 12 Jun 2012, 02:32 (Ref:3089340)   #21
cptkablamo
Veteran

Australia
Compared to Rice, there is no issue with Fiore - personally. You have to remember though that everything you say on social media is and should be considered public. It doesn't matter if you're tweeting personally and you have no public profile. It does matter though if someone else is paying for you do drive for a living. Whether it PC or whatever, your social media posts are impacting on someone else's commercial business.
It's not just sports either. I know if I post something homophobic/racist etc, my workplace will have something to say about it.
Old 12 Jun 2012, 03:48 (Ref:3089347)   #22
STEALTHY
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Compared to Rice, there is no issue with Fiore - personally. You have to remember though that everything you say on social media is and should be considered public. It doesn't matter if you're tweeting personally and you have no public profile. It does matter though if someone else is paying for you do drive for a living. Whether it PC or whatever, your social media posts are impacting on someone else's commercial business.
It's not just sports either. I know if I post something homophobic/racist etc, my workplace will have something to say about it.
My workplace has no say in anything i do on my private profiles (unless i'm accessing them from work computers)

He should be able to say whatever he likes on 'David Reynolds' twitter. Bottle'O Racings Twitter, is a different story.
Old 12 Jun 2012, 04:12 (Ref:3089349)   #23
cptkablamo
Veteran

Australia
Whether they can actually do anything about is another thing. You're a sports player/star - you get different rules. It may not be fair but it is what it is.

Surely intelligent isn't too much to ask? As I said before - controversy and interesting gets you in...this is not what we are seeing from many V8 drivers at the moment.
Old 12 Jun 2012, 04:55 (Ref:3089353)   #24
Axeman444
Veteran

Australia
Calling a spade a spade...
Axeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAxeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugger All View Post
Didn't Stephanie Rice loose a sponsor (was Audi or BMW?) for tweeting something similar to Mr Fiore?
Quote:
Yes...it was jaguar was was also putting a lot of money in to woo the gay community at the same time...
Ms Rice's comments were a little stronger though, directed at the Springboks after a loss to Australia, along the lines of "Sucked in F....ts", which was slightly more direct and calling their sexual preference into question.

If you read most drivers posts, a lot of them do get on well outside the race weekends, some especially more than others.

I say let them go for it, if they are stupid enough to post something that goes TOO far, then pull them up, but otherwise be as semi-controversial as you like.

Its the same as certain people on here who bag the crap out of drivers, or officialdom, or safety crew & track workers. Some of these people, and I am thinking of a prominent person on here, also point the finger at certain people when they know full well it has nothing to do with them, and should (do) know better but are trying to cause controversy, or imply something without actually writing it so they can backpeddle if necessary. It just so happens that this person isn't a public name to most people, and can get away with it.
Old 13 Jun 2012, 00:57 (Ref:3089886)   #25
Bradley
Rookie

Bradley should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
doesn't faggot also mean a bundle of sticks carried on someone's back?

everyones far too sensitive these days anyway.. as long as you pull the **** out of everyone equally it shouldn't be a problem haha...