Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 24 Apr 2013, 06:27 (Ref:3238736)   #1
FAS33
Veteran

Australia
1st - 6th gear
FAS33 User had had their licence endorsedFAS33 User had had their licence endorsed
Speed Comparison - NASCAR vs V8 Supercar

http://www.speedcafe.com/2013/04/24/...-car-swap-has/

no video's except boring interviews, but I think you would back the V8 to post faster lap times even with Kurt in it.
Old 24 Apr 2013, 08:46 (Ref:3238774)   #2
one five five
Veteran

one five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridone five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Most circuit racing series would easily outrun a NASCAR lap-time wise on a road circuit.

Here is a reference point for their speed compared to a V8,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N4v237dss9Q
Old 24 Apr 2013, 10:00 (Ref:3238807)   #3
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
footage from the track

Kurt suggest that the NASCAR is quicker in straight line, but doesnt handle as well
Old 24 Apr 2013, 12:41 (Ref:3238865)   #4
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Seems like an utterly meaningless comparison. NASCAR is designed to run at high speed on banked ovals, making occasional forays onto road courses. V8s would thrash them at a road course but wouldn't get near them at Charlotte. Or last very long, I imagine.

You may as well ask which is faster - V8 Supercar or Boeing 747. The airplane is going to be rubbish at Bathurst but performs better at 30,000ft.
Old 24 Apr 2013, 12:52 (Ref:3238871)   #5
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
actually woolley. very important comparison. both are based on the holden commodore.

I think though that its all about promotion though, trying create interest in the USA and also here
Old 24 Apr 2013, 13:00 (Ref:3238875)   #6
one five five
Veteran

one five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridone five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by peckstar View Post
actually woolley. very important comparison. both are based on the holden commodore.
What of the NASCAR is based on the Holden Commodore? Other than a body mould that roughly matches a production model brought over from Australia?
Old 24 Apr 2013, 13:16 (Ref:3238882)   #7
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by one five five View Post
What of the NASCAR is based on the Holden Commodore? Other than a body mould that roughly matches a production model brought over from Australia?
You can pretty much say the same for the V8SC!

Not having yet watched any of the videos, I'm assuming the NASCAR was a roadcourse variant, yes?
Old 24 Apr 2013, 21:44 (Ref:3239051)   #8
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
Nothing. but both are based on the commodore. so it creates seem interest to see them together
Old 24 Apr 2013, 22:50 (Ref:3239069)   #9
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Nothing. but both are based on the commodore.
Thats a fairly contradictory statement
Old 25 Apr 2013, 00:10 (Ref:3239082)   #10
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
Originally Posted by D.R.T. View Post
Thats a fairly contradictory statement
How?
Old 25 Apr 2013, 00:58 (Ref:3239099)   #11
one five five
Veteran

Quote:
How?
I wrote

Quote:
Originally Posted by one five five
What of the NASCAR is based on the Holden Commodore?
You wrote

Quote:
Originally Posted by peckstar
Nothing. but both are based on the commodore?
You say nothing of the NASCAR is based on the Commodore, then say both are based on the Commodore

so... which one is it??
Old 25 Apr 2013, 01:01 (Ref:3239100)   #12
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
I wrote

You wrote

You say nothing of the NASCAR is based on the Commodore, then say both are based on the Commodore

so... which one is it??
Are you serious, you quote half your paragraph, Lets not play word games.

you left out

Quote:
Other than a body mould that roughly matches a production model brought over from Australia?

Last edited by peckstar; 25 Apr 2013 at 01:06.
Old 25 Apr 2013, 01:14 (Ref:3239101)   #13
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Semantics.
Old 25 Apr 2013, 01:17 (Ref:3239103)   #14
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umai Naa View Post
Semantics.
actually its not. Too leave out that sentence changed the whole discussion. It was integral to the line of the discussion

Lets not play word games though. Lets Discuss the NASCAR/V8Supercar comparison.

Speedcafe has apage where you can compare the cars against each other with a little slider. Both look very similar across the front

Last edited by peckstar; 25 Apr 2013 at 01:28.
Old 25 Apr 2013, 01:26 (Ref:3239104)   #15
FAS33
Veteran

Australia
1st - 6th gear
FAS33 User had had their licence endorsedFAS33 User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Most circuit racing series would easily outrun a NASCAR lap-time wise on a road circuit.

Here is a reference point for their speed compared to a V8,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N4v237dss9Q

Interesting, lets make a petition to bring Nascar (the real one) here

10 secs off the pace, but seeing the COT breaking track records everywhere this year, they'd be much quicker. As peck said its promo stunt, and I see it nothing more than a v8 against a sprint cup car on an awesome track, wasn't much commotion about the F1 vs v8 thing, if only they used the longer track for the 400.
Old 25 Apr 2013, 03:22 (Ref:3239131)   #16
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Just a picking point... 'A NASCAR' isn't a thing as it is called a 'stock car'. It'd be like calling a sports car 'an Automobile Club de l'Ouest'. There's some semantics for ya.

A stock car is heavy, doesn't accelerate well, doesn't handle well, and really, really doesn't brake well. So it would be slower than just about anything including many road cars. That being said, it has over 900hp and looks like a lot of fun.
Old 25 Apr 2013, 08:26 (Ref:3239189)   #17
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHamilton View Post
Just a picking point... 'A NASCAR' isn't a thing as it is called a 'stock car'. It'd be like calling a sports car 'an Automobile Club de l'Ouest'. There's some semantics for ya.

A stock car is heavy, doesn't accelerate well, doesn't handle well, and really, really doesn't brake well. So it would be slower than just about anything including many road cars. That being said, it has over 900hp and looks like a lot of fun.
just point out that russels time from the earlier clip would have qualified him 25th at the recent 12 hour race (ahead of all the production cars and Gt4 cars) and on the pole by 5 seconds last time it was a production car race
Old 25 Apr 2013, 13:03 (Ref:3239270)   #18
one five five
Veteran

Quote:
just point out that russels time from the earlier clip would have qualified him 25th at the recent 12 hour race (ahead of all the production cars and Gt4 cars) and on the pole by 5 seconds last time it was a production car race
And a Caterham F1 car would outqualify a V8Supercar at Bathurst by 20-odd seconds....

Two completely different sets of regulations, just like NASCAR regs compared to our production car regulations and the FIA GT3 regs

Quote:
Interesting, lets make a petition to bring Nascar (the real one) here
We've had that before, the first couple of meetings at the Thunderdome featured alot of the then-current NASCAR front-runners

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pup8OqWT1A8

Bob Jane's dream originally was for the 'dome to host the final round of the Winston Cup starting in 1989.
Old 25 Apr 2013, 13:08 (Ref:3239272)   #19
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
And a Caterham F1 car would outqualify a V8Supercar at Bathurst by 20-odd seconds....

Two completely different sets of regulations, just like NASCAR regs compared to our production car regulations and the FIA GT3 regs

We've had that before, the first couple of meetings at the Thunderdome featured alot of the then-current NASCAR front-runners

Bob Jane's dream originally was for the 'dome to host the final round of the Winston Cup starting in 1989.
you have provided some awesome information there. Not sure why you felt the need to introduce formula 1 though. seems irrelevant and obvious, especially seeing how they actually do a speed comparison between a v8 supercar band an F1 at the melb GP

and why you changed a quote to say my name when it was FAS who said it?

Last edited by peckstar; 25 Apr 2013 at 13:22.
Old 25 Apr 2013, 22:09 (Ref:3239449)   #20
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Looking at the Bathurst NASCAR lap record from 1996 (set by one Jim Richards) of 2:18.1027, it's not too shabby considering the development that has gone on in the past 17 years. Also, keep in mind that the V8 lap record of the time was about a mid-2:12. The V8 Supercar is better under brakes and through corners, but would get hosed in a drag race. The NASCAR road course cars are no longer modified short track cars- the teams build dedicated chassis for two weekends a year...
Old 26 Apr 2013, 08:46 (Ref:3239576)   #21
one five five
Veteran

Quote:
you have provided some awesome information there. Not sure why you felt the need to introduce formula 1 though. seems irrelevant and obvious, especially seeing how they actually do a speed comparison between a v8 supercar band an F1 at the melb GP
You were the one who started talking about NASCARs compared to production cars... the comparison of an F1 car to a V8Supercar is exactly the same

Quote:
and why you changed a quote to say my name when it was FAS who said it?
I didn't change the quote, i just forget to copy & paste FAS's name into the quote box i was using when i posted
Old 26 Apr 2013, 08:56 (Ref:3239579)   #22
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
You were the one who started talking about NASCARs compared to production cars... the comparison of an F1 car to a V8Supercar is exactly the same

actually i didnt, my comment was to someone (JHamilton) who had. I just gave the info i had, which was the NASCAR Bathurst link ,that you added, to recent production car races at Bathurst
Old 27 Apr 2013, 12:37 (Ref:3239956)   #23
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Don't blame this on me. I mentioned sportscars and what to call stock cars.
Old 28 Apr 2013, 04:38 (Ref:3240137)   #24
formerf1champ
Veteran

Australia
Vettel's gearbox preparing bench
formerf1champ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woolley View Post
You may as well ask which is faster - V8 Supercar or Boeing 747. The airplane is going to be rubbish at Bathurst but performs better at 30,000ft.
Hmm, I suppose you're right.

Quote:

A shame DV_08 or barelybang haven't put up full Auscar races yet.

Quote:
I didn't know that. Had it got up, I suspect we'd still have a series.
Old 28 Apr 2013, 05:14 (Ref:3240142)   #25
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
Originally Posted by formerf1champ View Post

I didn't know that. Had it got up, I suspect we'd still have a series.
Why did it stop?
It happened as i moved away from melbourne (i assume that wasnt the reason ) I'd heard it was something to do with bumpy track.

It just seemed to stop, all of a sudden