Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 2 Mar 2019, 00:01 (Ref:3887689)   #1
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Social Media

Race drivers are funny people.
The week out help from sponsors and teams and patrons and anyone else that helps them land a ride in their chosen team.

The thing that is sometimes forgotten is how the money flows in the sport.

You and me and anyone you know or don’t know, goes out in the world, usually earning a living, and spend some, all or more than all of that living on creating a life for yourself.

And as keen Motorsport followers, we choose to follow drivers, and teams and brands, and car makes and pretty much anything we choose. It may or may not change our purchasing decisions too. That’s the sponsors’ intentions anyway.

And some drivers understand that they have supporters, some more keen/intense than others. And that they are going to have opinions about whether someone is running good, or their car brand is running good, or if the team is running good.

This kind of stuff ends up in the media too, the newspapers, the teev, radio, and Facebook/instagram/twitter and the like. Which is used to help quantify the success of a sponsor’s investment as much as anything else.

So the following quote from Here is interesting...

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Article, Attributed To Fabian Coulthard
“People who sit behind their keyboards don’t necessarily know the ins and outs of racing; social media has probably given people a voice when they shouldn’t have a voice and we are the ones that cop it.”
It makes you wonder if he truly knows how the industry works, or what the point of marketing communications actually are.

Apparently the very people who buy the products from companies that pay for the driver to live his dream, “...shouldn’t have a voice...”. That is you and me Mr Coulthard seems to be talking about here.

Yet the very same voice we seemingly are not allowed to have, is called upon when they are successful or winning, or when their sponsor is looking to promote their products with a view to encouraging switching between brands.

An elegant solution may have been to allow Mr Coulthard’s driving do the talking, but clearly a group of fans talking about a legitimate comparison to a more successful teammate isn’t allowed..

Weird
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 2 Mar 2019, 00:20 (Ref:3887695)   #2
Forda
Veteran

Forda should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Not all race fans are on social media though.

Can you provide a link to what was posted?
Old 2 Mar 2019, 00:42 (Ref:3887699)   #3
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The comments and personal attacks aimed at drivers, team members, officals, and sponsors are often quite disturbing.
Old 2 Mar 2019, 00:48 (Ref:3887701)   #4
Driver TBA
Veteran

Driver TBA should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umai Naa View Post
The comments and personal attacks aimed at drivers, team members, officals, and sponsors are often quite disturbing.
It's horrendous. One troll sinks the boots in and then 100 other nodding dogs chime in.

I can understand Fabs. Imagine trying to interact with your genuine fans and having to sift through the derogatory comments directed at you.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
Old 2 Mar 2019, 01:32 (Ref:3887712)   #5
mayhem
Veteran

Aruba
On that Island in LOST.
mayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Yeah, its a two way street. I don't blame Fabs (or any other driver/sports star) for getting the shits with the level of trolling/negativity on social media. But whinging about it and painting everyone with the same brush doesnt help.
Old 2 Mar 2019, 02:28 (Ref:3887721)   #6
Average Punter
Veteran

Australia
a drug store in Wagga
Average Punter should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAverage Punter should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAverage Punter should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
What did Lady Gaga say yesterday?

"Social media is the toilet of the internet..."
Punters Beer Fest. Indy 02, Clipsal 03, Winton 04, Paperclip 05, Darwin 06, Oran Park 07, Phillip Island 08, Sandown 09, Townsville 10, Symmons 11, Eastern Creek 12, Winton 13. Townsville 14. Paperclip 15, Sandown 16, Symmons 17, PI 18, The Bend 19
Old 2 Mar 2019, 03:21 (Ref:3887726)   #7
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Average Punter View Post
"Social media is the toilet of the internet..."
I'll misquote Tom Lehrer:

"Social media is like a sewer; what you get out of it depends on what you get into it"

I think Fabs would do well to think himself lucky he's not an AFL or NRL player....
Old 2 Mar 2019, 06:44 (Ref:3887747)   #8
M91
Rookie

M91 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridM91 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
Race drivers are funny people.
The week out help from sponsors and teams and patrons and anyone else that helps them land a ride in their chosen team.

The thing that is sometimes forgotten is how the money flows in the sport.

You and me and anyone you know or don’t know, goes out in the world, usually earning a living, and spend some, all or more than all of that living on creating a life for yourself.

And as keen Motorsport followers, we choose to follow drivers, and teams and brands, and car makes and pretty much anything we choose. It may or may not change our purchasing decisions too. That’s the sponsors’ intentions anyway.

And some drivers understand that they have supporters, some more keen/intense than others. And that they are going to have opinions about whether someone is running good, or their car brand is running good, or if the team is running good.

This kind of stuff ends up in the media too, the newspapers, the teev, radio, and Facebook/instagram/twitter and the like. Which is used to help quantify the success of a sponsor’s investment as much as anything else.

So the following quote from Here is interesting...

It makes you wonder if he truly knows how the industry works, or what the point of marketing communications actually are.

Apparently the very people who buy the products from companies that pay for the driver to live his dream, “...shouldn’t have a voice...”. That is you and me Mr Coulthard seems to be talking about here.

Yet the very same voice we seemingly are not allowed to have, is called upon when they are successful or winning, or when their sponsor is looking to promote their products with a view to encouraging switching between brands.

An elegant solution may have been to allow Mr Coulthard’s driving do the talking, but clearly a group of fans talking about a legitimate comparison to a more successful teammate isn’t allowed..

Weird
It's fair to say that everyone has their right to an opinion, but drivers and teams also shouldn't have to put up with some of the rubbish that is written on social media. Have you read some of the uneducated dribble that's written on social media, I honestly wonder how some people make it though life with such a low IQ.
Old 2 Mar 2019, 09:01 (Ref:3887775)   #9
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by M91 View Post
It's fair to say that everyone has their right to an opinion, but drivers and teams also shouldn't have to put up with some of the rubbish that is written on social media. Have you read some of the uneducated dribble that's written on social media, I honestly wonder how some people make it though life with such a low IQ.
And they likely fill up their cars at Shell, buy bits & pieces at Repco and fill the pantry with Mighty Mite and 333 pickles....
Old 2 Mar 2019, 09:28 (Ref:3887781)   #10
mayhem
Veteran

Aruba
On that Island in LOST.
mayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I was with ya until the pickles.
Old 2 Mar 2019, 09:52 (Ref:3887785)   #11
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I stopped at Repco.
Old 2 Mar 2019, 10:16 (Ref:3887788)   #12
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
And they likely fill up their cars at Shell, buy bits & pieces at Repco and fill the pantry with Mighty Mite and 333 pickles....
cheers gtr, i just had to think before midday on a saturday

you’re completely right. drivers rely on supporters being easily influenced by sponsorship messages, and the flipside of that is that is that their opinions about drivers are easily influenced too.

i think the quote you highlight is typical of a driver - motorsport is incredibly complex, yes, but it’s incredibly complex for everybody on that grid. he has a great life, beautiful family, a fantastic job, and the only drawback is millions of people moaning online about a character he plays in a racing series...

that’s privilege for you i guess.
Old 2 Mar 2019, 10:52 (Ref:3887793)   #13
Casper
Veteran

Casper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCasper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Full disclosure, I do not participate in social media beyond some fora. Sebastian Vettel also refuses to participate and I congratulate him for having the independence to give it the single finger. I was told that the single best thing I can do to promote my business was to have a FB page, I then looked and saw and decided no thanks, talk about a sewer of uninformed comments, just unbelievable. The world got along just fine before social media and it will again when people wake up to what is going on.
Old 2 Mar 2019, 19:15 (Ref:3887841)   #14
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
It goes both ways with social media - Fabs (or anyone else) can agree with posts about him and thank them, or as in this case, he can disagree with them and tell them so.

Let's not forget that "trolls" and social media users exhibiting abusive and bullying behaviour have been at least partially blamed for celebrity suicide and mental health issues before now so standing up to them and making a point like Fabs is quoted as doing seems quite legitimate to me.

Most people not on teams (including media) really don't know all the ins and outs and certainly not the details of exactly what is happening in a particular team, regardless of how much some of them think that they "know".

Then there's that "line" to avoid crossing, when it all gets too personal and abusive - such as the situation here with a defamation finding against a social media "troll".

To me, Fabs has every right to make a point about it - he is not after all some meek little lamb simply copping it - and is in this case making a non-abusive but fairly on-point case.
Old 2 Mar 2019, 20:02 (Ref:3887844)   #15
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourer View Post
Let's not forget that "trolls" and social media users exhibiting abusive and bullying behaviour have been at least partially blamed for celebrity suicide and mental health issues before now so standing up to them and making a point like Fabs is quoted as doing seems quite legitimate to me.
don't think anyone would doubt that. it's why there's increasing numbers of tools that allow people to set up their social media according to their preference. it's possible to participate without submitting yourself to endless abuse - for example disable comments on instagram, mute people on twitter, and the block button on both.

there's no shame in using those facilities. or just using your public profiles to post, nobody forces him to read his comments or those on team or series accounts.
Old 2 Mar 2019, 22:15 (Ref:3887867)   #16
chavez
Veteran

Australia
The Basin, Victoria
chavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper View Post
I was told that the single best thing I can do to promote my business was to have a FB page, I then looked and saw and decided no thanks, talk about a sewer of uninformed comments, just unbelievable.
My wife runs her business solely via Facebook. Never had a bad comment or uninformed comment.

On the other hand the sector I work in has a variety of Facebook groups which attract comments bordering on the obscene.
Old 2 Mar 2019, 22:24 (Ref:3887873)   #17
Umai Naa
Veteran

It's usually interest-based pages and groups that attracted the worst of the worst.
Old 4 Mar 2019, 09:52 (Ref:3888150)   #18
Just Do It!
Veteran

Just Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourer View Post
Then there's that "line" to avoid crossing, when it all gets too personal and abusive - such as the situation here with a defamation finding against a social media "troll".
If Kelvin went back 10-ish years across here and a couple of other forums, there could be some interesting cases, stories, and outcomes
Old 4 Mar 2019, 09:54 (Ref:3888151)   #19
Just Do It!
Veteran

Just Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chavez View Post
My wife runs her business solely via Facebook. Never had a bad comment or uninformed comment.

On the other hand the sector I work in has a variety of Facebook groups which attract comments bordering on the obscene.
Yes, those glowingly businesses are so very cool. Good on her!!
Old 5 Mar 2019, 11:07 (Ref:3888378)   #20
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The truth is, I've been as critical of Fabian as anybody, but I wouldn't say he has been "trolled" like the Mustang, or like Roland Dane.

It is, after all a fair question of just where Fabian has been while his teammate has been stealing all the glory.

If you bank the cheque that comes with a job that involves a little bit of fame, whatever the size of the pond, you have to take the good with the bad. So my message to Fabs: suck it up princess.

I really like the way Garth Tander engages on social media - he has his detractors but he comes across as very honest and the social media reaction to his dumping recently was informative.
Old 5 Mar 2019, 11:11 (Ref:3888379)   #21
Umai Naa
Veteran

Mr Tander isn't afraid to call people out when they're having a shot at him.

But you've got to have the runs on the board...
Old 6 Mar 2019, 23:22 (Ref:3888802)   #22
Casper
Veteran

Casper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCasper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bella View Post
don't think anyone would doubt that. it's why there's increasing numbers of tools that allow people to set up their social media according to their preference. it's possible to participate without submitting yourself to endless abuse - for example disable comments on instagram, mute people on twitter, and the block button on both.

there's no shame in using those facilities. or just using your public profiles to post, nobody forces him to read his comments or those on team or series accounts.
I often wonder why those who say they are subject to internet bullying simply do not turn it off and lead a normal life. When are people going to learn that there is a growing problem of "professional" trolls who just want to wind people up because they get a kick out of it. The off switch fixes that properly.
Old 7 Mar 2019, 05:10 (Ref:3888834)   #23
Sandgroper
Veteran

Australia
Perth WA (south of the river)
Sandgroper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Social media can work both ways.

Both good and bad

But generally the Bad outweighs the good as most keyboard warriers would never say to someones face what they say online about them.
Old 6 Jan 2020, 00:39 (Ref:3949958)   #24
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Errrrr...

Old 6 Jan 2020, 01:56 (Ref:3949964)   #25
Umai Naa
Veteran

That's great, if you're like 12.