Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 19 Apr 2011, 22:38 (Ref:2866715)   #51
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Last weekend (the BTCC meeting) the outfield was open from Redgate (which has been changed from a spectator point of view and has much better viewing due to a new bank) all the way round to Starkey's bar and beyond, I think all the way to McLeans. The infield was open (via the Paddock Tunnel) giving decent views from Goddards, through the start/finish line, round Redgate and Hollywood, down through Craner and on to the Old Hairpin. Beyond there however is off limits. There was limited viewing at Coppice outside, but I've no idea if that area will be open for the Festival.
The caveat to the above is that I spent my entire weekend preparing to catch errant vehicles on Redgate, and had the quietest weekend ever!

EDIT: I've just read the entry list. Wow. I'm trying desperately not to make a mess now!

Last edited by Greem; 19 Apr 2011 at 22:43.
Old 19 Apr 2011, 23:36 (Ref:2866728)   #52
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Now that's interesting. If Coppice outside was open does that mean that you have to get there around the outside of the circuit wall?

The tunnel to the infield where the railway carriage used to be was, as I understand it, the main spectator entrance for the WSBK meeting. Was it also used for the BTCC?

From what I read on the Historic Festival event web site the GP loop is to be used for some rally and kart demos so I assume that the same entrance will be in use again since it would make sense for access to the loop as well as the open part of the infield and relieve pedestrian traffic through the paddock gates.
Old 20 Apr 2011, 08:18 (Ref:2866813)   #53
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by grantp View Post
Now that's interesting. If Coppice outside was open does that mean that you have to get there around the outside of the circuit wall?
It was only open because there was a hospitality unit there with 100 or so paying guests. Like I said, I don't know if it will be open for the Festival - and yes, to get to it was a long walk from Gate 19 (see below) along the outside of the circuit wall.

Quote:
The tunnel to the infield where the railway carriage used to be was, as I understand it, the main spectator entrance for the WSBK meeting. Was it also used for the BTCC?
Yep. That was the main spectator entrance, but I didn't get over there to work out how people were being directed once inside; I would surmise through the tunnel and then along the start/finish straight to the paddock tunnel for paddock access. I think spectators were also allowed through the paddock gate.
Old 20 Apr 2011, 10:18 (Ref:2866866)   #54
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Thanks Greem. A private party at Coppice should have been pretty good I reckon. If the mound between the tunnels was accessible to the attendees there are excellent views available.

I noticed that the trade stands at the historic festival are scheduled to be in the in-field and presumably many of the motor clubs listed as attending? So I would imagine the same sort of arrangements will be in place.
Old 20 Apr 2011, 20:34 (Ref:2867210)   #55
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Reasonable turn out so far for the JD Classic tourers?

TWR XJS will be wonderful to see! What period/spec is the SD1 from, I can't say i've heard much about this one?

Still hoping we might yet see a 635 and the ex Allam Vitesse that's just been discussed on the Rover thread?
Old 21 Apr 2011, 05:04 (Ref:2867319)   #56
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer View Post
Reasonable turn out so far for the JD Classic tourers?

TWR XJS will be wonderful to see! What period/spec is the SD1 from, I can't say i've heard much about this one?

Still hoping we might yet see a 635 and the ex Allam Vitesse that's just been discussed on the Rover thread?
Don't know the SD1, but interesting that the regs have relaxed enough to let the P6 in. In Autosport last week a release confirmed that it is the Bill Shaw / Roy Pierpoint car, but also a 'one off' prototype and as 1970/1 earlier than the suggested 1972 'start' date for the Gp2 / GpA races. Will certainly be a good and interesting addition, but maybe JDC should have made the regs more open to start with and picked up some more entries?

Alex E if you are about- any idea which CSL Allen Tice and Chris Conoley are in?
Old 21 Apr 2011, 06:18 (Ref:2867334)   #57
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Dont know any of the history of it Mike but its Alans car,Bat Mobile he had at Spa last year.
Old 21 Apr 2011, 06:32 (Ref:2867343)   #58
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by terence bower View Post
Dont know any of the history of it Mike but its Alans car,Bat Mobile he had at Spa last year.
Thanks Terence. He has cars that don't often see- normally bump into them with the Marcos or 2002!
Old 21 Apr 2011, 07:14 (Ref:2867360)   #59
Alex E
Racer

Alex E should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
CSL

Mike, it is the ex Ian Guest / Nick Whale car. Alex
Old 21 Apr 2011, 07:25 (Ref:2867368)   #60
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex E View Post
Thanks Alex, hope day and your car go well! Timetable-wise could have been there for Sunday but after Snet 6hrs on Saturday then with local motor club 60th anniversary event Monday just not practical.......
Old 21 Apr 2011, 08:45 (Ref:2867407)   #61
Giraffe138
Racer

Giraffe138 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
but interesting that the regs have relaxed enough to let the P6 in. In Autosport last week a release confirmed that it is the Bill Shaw / Roy Pierpoint car

By giraffe138 at 2011-04-06

By giraffe138 at 2011-04-05
Old 21 Apr 2011, 08:59 (Ref:2867411)   #62
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Nice pics! I want one just like that as a road car
Old 21 Apr 2011, 09:50 (Ref:2867426)   #63
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thought the front splitters looked familiar,nice to see them still the same as when I restored the car for Arthur Carter all those years ago.
[Hope it doesn't suffer from excessive prop vibration]
Old 21 Apr 2011, 13:26 (Ref:2867512)   #64
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
Why is this lot not at Snetterton on Saturday?
Old 21 Apr 2011, 14:44 (Ref:2867556)   #65
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Always loved that Rover; just the epitome of what a modsaloon should be. I seem to remember it had a Traco 4.3 in it originally, or am I imagining that?

John, I couldn't possibly comment!
Old 21 Apr 2011, 14:57 (Ref:2867565)   #66
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Turner View Post
Always loved that Rover; just the epitome of what a modsaloon should be. I seem to remember it had a Traco 4.3 in it originally, or am I imagining that?

John, I couldn't possibly comment!

Thats correct John T,it came to the collection with that engine still fitted. Every panel was removed,even the roof,and repaired,glass wings,ally everything else. Rick Hall and Rob Fowler fired it up after a little messing about,Arthur came into the shop to listen to the din. Rick said something like "Bet this'll burn rubber" Arthur gave me the chance to find out,bearing in mind it had been raining,
the slicks were about ten years old,added together made for a fairly amusing drive.
Great to know that after all of these years of being locked away that it is finally back in use

as intended, and hopefully still retains all of it original bits n pieces.

Dont know about Saturday,far better if it were there Sunday.
Old 21 Apr 2011, 23:30 (Ref:2867860)   #67
MartinSmith
Subscriber
Veteran

England
Essex
MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by john ruston View Post
Why is this lot not at Snetterton on Saturday?
Tell me about it
Old 21 Apr 2011, 23:32 (Ref:2867861)   #68
MartinSmith
Subscriber
Veteran

England
Essex
MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
T......

Dont know about Saturday,far better if it were there Sunday.

????????? lol, I thought John was talking about 360 Terry,not this weekend
Old 22 Apr 2011, 03:37 (Ref:2867929)   #69
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
You know what,he was! Oop's,wrong thread.
Old 22 Apr 2011, 12:50 (Ref:2868123)   #70
MartinSmith
Subscriber
Veteran

England
Essex
Quote:
You know what,he was! Oop's,wrong thread.
I have every confidence in your ability to read things correctly....you are my safety car driver after all....(note to self...dont worry!!!)
Old 23 Apr 2011, 05:46 (Ref:2868451)   #71
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaireSmith View Post
I have every confidence in your ability to read things correctly....you are my safety car driver after all....(note to self...dont worry!!!)

Yes,dont worry Claire,you know you can rely on me,see you at Silverstone next Saturday.
Old 23 Apr 2011, 06:35 (Ref:2868470)   #72
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
Donington Festival.

Last minute organisation.

Snetterton 360,Organised by people on this forum and despite lots of promises people still go to Donington. Pathetic

We wonder why Historic Racing is such a mess.
Old 23 Apr 2011, 07:35 (Ref:2868480)   #73
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
I have to agree John,as this event's organisation started when last years race finished,it's not as if people didn't know!
I still think that we need another year before this really 'kick's off'.We have to thank everyone who has put their money where their mouths are and supported the best enduro in the country,JP obviously has faith in it,he even had the circuit lengthened for us.
We still have a far better grid than last year plus of course the WBS can do nothing but good for publicity,just hope that no other non profit making club's
try to take a leaf out of our book.
Claire and John have,as all concerned know,put their hearts and souls into this project and thoroughly deserve the success I believe it WILL become.
Old 24 Apr 2011, 09:57 (Ref:2868910)   #74
Giraffe138
Racer

Giraffe138 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex E View Post
There was only one CSL at the test day, so is it this car? If not, who's is it?

By giraffe138 at 2011-04-07
Old 24 Apr 2011, 20:33 (Ref:2869236)   #75
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
Yep,its Alan Tice.