Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 10 Jul 2015, 17:28 (Ref:3557357)   #26
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
AV is just model number with AW being the 90's
Old 10 Jul 2015, 17:39 (Ref:3557362)   #27
roadmap
Rookie

United Kingdom
England
roadmap should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Did G.B. tell you I had a gearbox for an AV105.

Old 10 Jul 2015, 18:11 (Ref:3557368)   #28
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
He has told me!

Situation sorted.
Old 10 Jul 2015, 18:14 (Ref:3557370)   #29
roadmap
Rookie

United Kingdom
England
Good to know. Thanks.
Old 11 Jul 2015, 17:52 (Ref:3557576)   #30
roadmap
Rookie

United Kingdom
England
Mark in the Fafnir in front of the magnificent Chateau ready for the Saturday practise run.

Old 11 Jul 2015, 18:13 (Ref:3557582)   #31
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

I am told things are not perfect but could be teething troubles.

Probably too many cars .

They will learn.
Old 11 Jul 2015, 18:20 (Ref:3557585)   #32
roadmap
Rookie

United Kingdom
England
I have heard this also and there certainly is a lot of entries and probably too many at this early stage. Tomorrow will be busier than to day , just hope it doesn't rain as it can knock the planning for six.
Old 11 Jul 2015, 20:46 (Ref:3557606)   #33
relativtortoise
Racer

relativtortoise should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadmap View Post
I have heard this also and there certainly is a lot of entries and probably too many at this early stage. Tomorrow will be busier than to day , just hope it doesn't rain as it can knock the planning for six.
A lot of red flags caused by issues at the first corner which held things up massively. JR's car one of them off piste

Afternoon more free flowing certainly in the early stages
Old 11 Jul 2015, 21:58 (Ref:3557620)   #34
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

He didn't go off track.

Couldn't work out where the track went!

Not used to doing these stage things without a navigator.

Stopped and had a look.
Old 12 Jul 2015, 18:15 (Ref:3557923)   #35
FastDB2s
Veteran

England
Solihull, West Mids
FastDB2s should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Were there many spectators ?
Old 12 Jul 2015, 19:06 (Ref:3557943)   #36
DaveGT6
Veteran

England
Langford, Beds.
DaveGT6 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just got home from the hill climb and it was a good day out. I wouldn't like to estimate the number of spectators but the grandstands were probably 50% full and there were plenty of people at the fence. It certainly could have held a lot more but it was a pretty good turn out for a first go at reviving it. It was nice not having to stand in huge queues although the ice cream vans were popular!

There was a very eclectic mix of entries and a wide range of commitment shown across all groups. Gareth certainly counted as one of the committed. Having spoken with some of the competitors that I knew he wasn't alone in not knowing where the track went and having to do a recce.

Weather gave everything today in typical English summer fashion. Still the chinos dried out in the sun and I think the sun burn will subside. I noticed a stall by the entrance selling programmes, water, sun screen and umbrellas - good planning!
Old 12 Jul 2015, 21:50 (Ref:3557996)   #37
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
What a superb week-end. Great competition and a stunning location.

Some teething problems on Saturday morning, at least a few due to drivers clearly not having walked the track. Or looked at the map...

First run through took 4:41, second was much quicker as everyone got used to the organisation and the track. Sunday was done at 5pm despite a pause for heavy rain.

Not impressed with the (private) disco in a tent in the camping field until 3am. If you were there, be ashamed and apologise to the marshals you kept awake who had to sign on just 4 hours later. That was unfair.

But nothing to do with the organisers. For a first go it want amazingly well and I'll definitely be back next year. I imagine the spectators, of which there were sufficient, will pass on what a great day it was and the numbers will double (at least) for next year.
Old 13 Jul 2015, 08:14 (Ref:3558132)   #38
Derwent Motorsp
Veteran

Scotland
Cumbria
Derwent Motorsp should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Incredible that drivers did not walk the track. It's usually in the final instructions that you must do so and with a new venue I would think more than one walk was needed.
Old 13 Jul 2015, 09:23 (Ref:3558146)   #39
Moosehead
Veteran

Moosehead should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derwent Motorsp View Post
Incredible that drivers did not walk the track. It's usually in the final instructions that you must do so and with a new venue I would think more than one walk was needed.
Totally agree with you. Having said that, thinking about the Goodwood FOS, I just cannot see many of the competitors walking that either. Maybe they do??

I competed in hillclimbs & sprints for 17 years and always walked the course the morning of the event - amazing what you can learn. I try to do this now with the circuits.
CSCC Swinging Sixties #128 Red/Black Mustang
Old 13 Jul 2015, 09:28 (Ref:3558148)   #40
SJWBallistic
Rookie

SJWBallistic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I loved this event.
It was my 1st ever hillclimb and indeed I walked the course in the early hours of Saturday morning.
I must take my hats off to the organisers who must of put hours and hours of work in to create the necessary infrastructure for putting this on. I am sure that some teething troubles were experienced but nothing too major I hope.

Best of all I finished 2nd in class of the 500cc runners and had a great day.

I would love to go back in 2016 if they want me!
Stuart Wright
Old 13 Jul 2015, 14:42 (Ref:3558221)   #41
Derwent Motorsp
Veteran

Scotland
Cumbria
Derwent Motorsp should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's actually a BB rule that you have to walk the track if you've not been there before which will mean everyone on this event. Surprised the Clerk of Course did not insist on it. I am sure he will next year!
Old 13 Jul 2015, 15:12 (Ref:3558225)   #42
Merlin01794
Rookie

Merlin01794 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Absolutely brilliant event. Very tricky and technical hill but great fun!
Managed 4th in class in our 998cc Minor against some much bigger engined cars and Mini Coopers.
Big thanks to the organisers and marshals.
Here's how it looked for me.....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zs_SUCdw7cc
Old 13 Jul 2015, 15:53 (Ref:3558233)   #43
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Picked the right day for the weather on Saturday and it was a great day, decent number of species and well managed for a first attempt. Can't comment on Sunday as wasn't there, but it seems from some of your comments that it also went well.

Elsewhere there has been some moaning about distances and lack of facilities, but as someone said to me; they obviously haven't been to Silverstone which takes an age to get around for anything other than big events where transport is put on.

There's still plenty of useable space that can be planned for next year so if anything does need to be improved then they are able to do it.
Old 13 Jul 2015, 19:07 (Ref:3558289)   #44
juliang
Rookie

juliang should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I thought it was a stonking weekend. Most impressed with the infrastructure and once everyone had learnt what to do, the batched starts and return system worked very efficiently. My times went in the right direction but just pipped for a class win on the last run. Sincerely hope I get asked back next year.
Congratulations to the Spollons and the Event Team ... a great start.
Old 13 Jul 2015, 20:19 (Ref:3558313)   #45
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derwent Motorsp View Post
It's actually a BB rule that you have to walk the track if you've not been there before which will mean everyone on this event. Surprised the Clerk of Course did not insist on it. I am sure he will next year!
You can insist on it, but very hard to actually police it. The number that missed the first corner or had no idea which way to go around the roundabout on the first runs suggested not all had done so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlin01794 View Post
Absolutely brilliant event. Very tricky and technical hill but great fun!
Managed 4th in class in our 998cc Minor against some much bigger engined cars and Mini Coopers.
Big thanks to the organisers and marshals.
Here's how it looked for me.....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zs_SUCdw7cc
Excellent video, and very much enjoyed your runs up the hill. The first timed run looked more dramatic from the outside at the finish and you wiped out our flip-flops!

The second was more of a challenge after the Scarab blew his coolant out approaching the last left hander and left a line which we had no way of dressing. Wet, but not slippery. I was hoping the last car up was someone who was wanting a fairly relaxed tootle up but we did our very best to clear as much as possible. That you attacked it with such gusto was to your great credit and you received a substantial round of applause from the crowd in our area. Well deserved, too.
Old 13 Jul 2015, 20:34 (Ref:3558314)   #46
DaveGT6
Veteran

England
Langford, Beds.
DaveGT6 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Great on board vid - great stuff!
Old 14 Jul 2015, 07:59 (Ref:3558418)   #47
911thillclimber
Veteran

911thillclimber should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid911thillclimber should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I went to this event on the Sunday. My car club, Hagley and District, ran sprints there in the 50/60's and provided the BTD Trophie, so a lot of heritage there for us.

I really enjoyed the flavour of the event, the wide spread of cars, the fab setting and the facility in general was just great.

I do hope it keeps this position and not glitz and glamour of the Goodwood events I've stopped going to now.

Roll-on next year; it only need a few tweeks and it will be perfect imho.

Old 14 Jul 2015, 12:05 (Ref:3558453)   #48
icklimp
Racer

England
icklimp should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woolley View Post
Some teething problems on Saturday morning, at least a few due to drivers clearly not having walked the track. Or looked at the map...
I think most drivers did, I saw a lot I knew on the Friday night. A combination of walking it in dusk at Friday (and following that with beer) and the bales blending into each other, particularly in low cars, so not being able to spot the gap caught a few people out.
Old 16 Jul 2015, 08:04 (Ref:3558909)   #49
Merlin01794
Rookie

Merlin01794 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks for you nice comments Woolley. Always appreciate the time and efforts you volunteers put in - we couldn't have our fun without you!
Here's a pic showing the sad demise of one of your flip-flops - sorry!
Attached Thumbnails
20151406-1.jpeg  
Old 9 Aug 2015, 20:47 (Ref:3564961)   #50
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
That's a brilliant shot, perfectly timed, although doesn't quite do justice to how... lairy you were at that moment!

We got the flip-flop back. It parted company with your car at the next post!