Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 3 Nov 2022, 17:37 (Ref:4132545)   #1
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
2023 race licence form

As my very good mate "MG David" said today when he popped in for a cuppa. This years race license renewal seems to be more complicated than ever. Or is it just me.We often talk about this so interested to hear other drivers views. I had my stressed ECG in January 2021. I I renew my license next week will my Stressed ECG be valid?
Old 3 Nov 2022, 19:14 (Ref:4132547)   #2
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Haven't looked at mine yet, but mine's only a speed licence so I can renew online.

Sent from my AC2003 using Tapatalk
Old 4 Nov 2022, 08:50 (Ref:4132580)   #3
Alan Morgan
Veteran

Alan Morgan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There is now a requirement for an ECG over-sixties for National licences. If I read the requirements correctly, it's required in the same years that a medical would be. However, unlike an international licence it's a resting ECG.
Old 4 Nov 2022, 08:56 (Ref:4132581)   #4
PeterY
Racer

England
Oxfordshire
PeterY should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Medical and ECG is valid for 2 years so as long as its valid on 1st January then it will be fine for 2023 licence
Old 4 Nov 2022, 13:37 (Ref:4132609)   #5
Brian A
Racer

England
Sunny West Sussex
Brian A should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterY View Post
Medical and ECG is valid for 2 years so as long as its valid on 1st January then it will be fine for 2023 licence

I think that you'll find that in relation to International licences, the medical is valid for 12 months and the ECG for 24 months (but only 12 months if over 75).

The requirements for National Licences are different and the form is quite specific about what is needed and when.
Old 4 Nov 2022, 17:38 (Ref:4132638)   #6
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
What does everybody use club racing in Europe these days? Is it still the equivalent of the old "National A"?

Old 8 Nov 2022, 07:16 (Ref:4132958)   #7
Alex E
Racer

Alex E should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Morgan View Post
There is now a requirement for an ECG over-sixties for National licences. If I read the requirements correctly, it's required in the same years that a medical would be. However, unlike an international licence it's a resting ECG.
I thought the same after reading the form, but you dont need an ECG if you are over 60 for a National A license....the form is missleading....
Old 8 Nov 2022, 11:19 (Ref:4132968)   #8
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Just chuffed its not only me. I have booked a medical and eye sight test. As my last stressed ECG was in Jan 2021 I will get away with not having another test.
Happy days.
Old 8 Nov 2022, 15:35 (Ref:4133000)   #9
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I've used my spare year so I need to get a medical this year. Time to call MR Medics. Hopefully they'll be at Race Retro.
Old 8 Nov 2022, 21:12 (Ref:4133030)   #10
Bill Kirkpatrick
Rookie

Bill Kirkpatrick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex E View Post
I thought the same after reading the form, but you dont need an ECG if you are over 60 for a National A license....the form is missleading....
The way I read the form is that over 60s need a resting ecg for a national licence, or am I wrong ?
Old 8 Nov 2022, 23:42 (Ref:4133046)   #11
Paul D
Veteran

England
Southport, Merseyside
Paul D should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridPaul D should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Kirkpatrick View Post
The way I read the form is that over 60s need a resting ecg for a national licence, or am I wrong ?
That's the way I read it too - it seems that an ECG is needed over 60 for any race licence, even the inter-club thing, or whatever they're calling it this year!

So my understanding is that, if you're over 60 and racing anything, you'll need a resting ECG.

You can, however, as far as I can tell, go rallying the most bonkers machinery capable of three-figure speeds between trees & ditches, with spectators mere feet away with nothing between them and you, and you can do this, at any age, without any medical checks, never mind the ECG!

Go figure...

(Caveat: I may well have that wrong, but that's how the form appears to put it.)
Old 9 Nov 2022, 16:11 (Ref:4133109)   #12
Simon Davey
Rookie

Simon Davey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
ECG for National A Licence

I saw the apparent requirement for a resting (12 lead?) ECG for over 60s on my (National) licence application this year. I've just checked with MSUK and a resting 12 lead ECG is required. These look rather complicated to set up. Ten carefully positioned sensors are needed. I don't know what is involved in interpreting the results, it's possible the system does this automatically.

I'm now trying to contact my local GP Practice to find out if they have the kit to do this, and if so what are the cost implications for a Racing Medical. I think like many GP's they are pretty overloaded at present.

There are various ways to extend the validity of a race medical over a couple of years, and if you are under 75 then you only need a valid medical at certain ages: 70, 72, 74 then every year from 75 onwards.

I think this is the first time that I will take a race medical when I have no means of knowing myself whether I should pass or not. I always have passed in the last 50 years! But not knowing the possible outcome is not good news. Personally I don't think it's a great time for the governing body to make getting a race licence more complex, uncertain and expensive.

Last edited by Simon Davey; 9 Nov 2022 at 16:14. Reason: Fix typos
Old 9 Nov 2022, 16:13 (Ref:4133110)   #13
Alex E
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Kirkpatrick View Post
I had a medical at MR Medics in August this year assuming like many I needed a resting ECG but they explained that it was not needed...they were right....
Old 9 Nov 2022, 16:20 (Ref:4133111)   #14
Alex E
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Davey View Post
I saw the apparent requirement for a resting (12 lead?) ECG for over 60s on my (National) licence application this year. I've just checked with MSUK and a resting 12 lead ECG is required. These look rather complicated to set up. Ten carefully positioned sensors are needed. I don't know what is involved in interpreting the results, it's possible the system does this automatically.

I'm now trying to contact my local GP Practice to find out if they have the kit to do this, and if so what are the cost implications for a Racing Medical. I think like many GP's they are pretty overloaded at present.

There are various ways to extend the validity of a race medical over a couple of years, and if you are under 75 then you only need a valid medical at certain ages: 70, 72, 74 then every year from 75 onwards.

I think this is the first time that I will take a race medical when I have no means of knowing myself whether I should pass or not. I always have passed in the last 50 years! But not knowing the possible outcome is not good news. Personally I don't think it's a great time for the governing body to make getting a race licence more complex, uncertain and expensive.
Suggest you speak to MR Medics....regarding the possibility of failing the test (as I did a few years back....) surely it is better to know of any potential problems. I have a friend who if he had not taken an ECG test for racing would almost certainly not be here now...so not a bad thing....
Old 9 Nov 2022, 21:24 (Ref:4133130)   #15
Paul D
Veteran

England
Southport, Merseyside
Paul D should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridPaul D should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have a feeling that rule may have changed for next year & beyond.

So if you were advised earlier this year that you didn't need the ECG, then that may well have been correct advice at that time. I don't know for sure, but it seems that if you didn't need one this year, but now others are being told they do need it for next year, then that would seem to be the logical explanation.

I should just about scrape through without one for next year, as I can apply for my licence before hitting 60 - but it will be my last time without having to get one.

With that in mind, I did a quick search for info, and it would appear that there are various private hospitals around that can do the resting ECG - charges seem to range from £65 to £100+. So probably worth shopping around if you need one.

Completely agree with Simon re the comments about this not being a wise moment to add yet more red tape and expense to the club racer's lot! And they wonder why numbers are dwindling...
Old 10 Nov 2022, 07:15 (Ref:4133145)   #16
Alex E
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul D View Post
I have a feeling that rule may have changed for next year & beyond.

So if you were advised earlier this year that you didn't need the ECG, then that may well have been correct advice at that time. I don't know for sure, but it seems that if you didn't need one this year, but now others are being told they do need it for next year, then that would seem to be the logical explanation.

I should just about scrape through without one for next year, as I can apply for my licence before hitting 60 - but it will be my last time without having to get one.

With that in mind, I did a quick search for info, and it would appear that there are various private hospitals around that can do the resting ECG - charges seem to range from £65 to £100+. So probably worth shopping around if you need one.

Completely agree with Simon re the comments about this not being a wise moment to add yet more red tape and expense to the club racer's lot! And they wonder why numbers are dwindling...
I asked my Doctors surgery if they could do it, which they did at no charge before I realised I didnt need it...may have just been an oversight on their part though....
Old 11 Nov 2022, 19:04 (Ref:4133309)   #17
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
As I hadn't renewed my licence for 2022 after my race partner decided to retire, I haven't even opened the licence renewal that cam the other week. However if yet another expense is being brought in by stealth, on the basis of what evidence, who knows?, then I can't see much likelihood of my renewing my race licence again......

I do take the point that if you have an issue its better to find out about it - I only got diagnosed with high blood pressure when I went for my first medical for my race licence about 15 years ago! - but this does seem like another stealth tax from our beloved MSUK.
Old 3 Dec 2022, 18:59 (Ref:4136016)   #18
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
Well by hook or by crook I have managed to get my licence renewed for another year. Very relieved when i got e mail saying its on its way back to you.
I had an eye sight test and medical with same people that do my HGV. Not sure how long I will carry on , 52 years and although I still love racing and all my mates when i meet at race tracks its just not quite the same as when I started .As Gordon often says racing has just got so expensiveness and i am not sure i can keep on justifying the out goings.
Dr Bob is back for another year with a Marcos as well as the Elite so this will keep me busy. The HSCC have amalgamated Classic F3 with Atlantic's so that's good for 2023.The BDA is ready to go back in the March 79B so I will give the car a few outings next year as well.
We are rebuilding the spare engine for Gilbert and if we can get some good power MG David and I will go back and do Spa 6 hour. We will let Mary do a few races to run the new engine in before hand. Baltic tour with the Lotus 22 and maybe Goodwood if I get an invite but that's all with FJ.
Might have a few invites again but who knows.
Merry Christmas everyone.Best wishes Delta.
Old 3 Dec 2022, 19:18 (Ref:4136019)   #19
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Bit too early for merry Christmas but glad you got your licence. I'll arrange mine for Race Retro if possible. My plans are for a couple of HRDC All Stars and possibly The Classic or whatever it's called with Masters and Gent Drivers then Spa with Masters. Then hang the helmet up for good.
Old 3 Dec 2022, 19:33 (Ref:4136023)   #20
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta View Post
Not sure how long I will carry on , 52 years and although I still love racing and all my mates when i meet at race tracks its just not quite the same as when I started.
Stange you dont meet the old blokes, we oftendo here. But for a change we have to compete against sons and gransons by now! Happy days!
Old 3 Dec 2022, 20:25 (Ref:4136026)   #21
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
Bit too early for merry Christmas but glad you got your licence. I'll arrange mine for Race Retro if possible. My plans are for a couple of HRDC All Stars and possibly The Classic or whatever it's called with Masters and Gent Drivers then Spa with Masters. Then hang the helmet up for good.

Ah, if you are doing the HRDC All Stars you'll be combined with the Classic Alfa Challenge - I'll try to get to see a few of them!
Old 4 Dec 2022, 03:41 (Ref:4136061)   #22
raspritz
Rookie

raspritz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I am in the USA. It is interesting that MSUK has gone in this direction. Over the past several years USA race licensure bodies have gone in the opposite direction. I just received next year's medical forms for my four racing licenses. All have now gone to a simplified medical form that basically asks the physician to examine the applicant and attest whether, in their judgement, they can stand the physical stresses of motor-racing. None require an EKG an longer unless there is prior history of cardiac disease. I am a physician, and I suspect this evolution is on the advice of lawyers, to shift potential liability away from the licensure body and towards the examining physician. I believe the USA is a bit more litigious than the UK.
Old 4 Dec 2022, 09:42 (Ref:4136075)   #23
WilliammLesly
Rookie

WilliammLesly should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The requirements are getting tougher every year for admission to racing! And getting more expensive is sad!
Old 4 Dec 2022, 11:10 (Ref:4136077)   #24
midgetman
Veteran

As you may or may not realise, probably the majority of karting now happens outside MSUK "governance" and there's no medical or licence required. A number of my drivers CBA with the MSUK paperwork and don't bother to apply for one.

IDK if this would ever happen in car racing, the circuits are tied too closely. But there is a lot of car sport - ovals, drifting, even track days - outside of MSUK. Although I've been saying this for years and nothing has happened yet, you can search threads about falling grids and draw your own conclusions. Many of us weekend warriors don't actually "race" wheel-to-wheel but actually just enjoy the excitement of driving our machinery fast in a regulated environment. In days gone by this could only happen in an official race, but it's noticeable that track days are often over subscribed yet there are thin grids on race days.

I'm sure this has been noticed by MSUK who are re-aligning their feeder sport (karting) to delivering 14 years old saloon and sports car drivers.

Old 4 Dec 2022, 14:15 (Ref:4136083)   #25
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Track days are often oversubscribed here too but cant say if race days suffer or not. Seems that a lot of people are looking for relaxed racing in a safe environment.
Our medical form looks like what is described by raspritz above since 2/3 years from now. Not heard about any complain so far.