Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 20 Feb 2009, 08:35 (Ref:2400675)   #26
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
Also to get back on topic the Thread is First Casualties, now I don't know about the more well heeled amoungst us but I have seen a definite downtirn in business and as such will have to definitely think twice before I lay out funds on this sport in future in which case the £240 for a day would I am afraid to say go straight out the window in favour of a £100 half day and I bet I am not alone which is why I think we will see many more 'casualties' before this is over.
Old 20 Feb 2009, 08:40 (Ref:2400678)   #27
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Weyman
But who wants to thrash around for a whole day anyhow, give me an hour or so and I am bored and have done too much gas anyhow and sorry I was not over impressed with the cafe at Goodwood (been a while mind you) but the Mallory one is a bit special. :-)
Al it seems its been a while since you have done anything but moan ;o) Mallory for testing I am sure is good for you professionals but if I am taking a day off work I want to have some fun and a leisurely day of going out whenever I want without a 750 MC Fiesta or XJS spinning in front of me which is my memory of Mallory....

Last edited by simon drabble; 20 Feb 2009 at 08:50.
Old 20 Feb 2009, 10:08 (Ref:2400709)   #28
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Here what you are saying Simon but that could happen at any track. Ok Goodwood they only let 5 or 6 cars out but from my experiance you are hanging around for a long time. What is anoying is the 16 year olds with no fear throwing cars off and stoping test sessions.Donnington and Silverstone seem to be the worst. I think you should get one chance then its a red card.
Old 20 Feb 2009, 10:12 (Ref:2400711)   #29
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Goodwood last Friday was an open pitlane all day - what more could you wish for... in fact I dont mind waiting a bit to have only 5-6 cars out at a time but do bear in mind I am not out testing as Al and co are for set ups etc I am just an old duffer having a play!
Old 20 Feb 2009, 11:51 (Ref:2400766)   #30
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Weyman
Also to get back on topic the Thread is First Casualties, now I don't know about the more well heeled amoungst us but I have seen a definite downtirn in business and as such will have to definitely think twice before I lay out funds on this sport in future in which case the £240 for a day would I am afraid to say go straight out the window in favour of a £100 half day and I bet I am not alone which is why I think we will see many more 'casualties' before this is over.
Whilst I've seen a healthy growth in business, I'm having to work ever harder for it :-( so precious days off to go racing must represent great value.

I enjoy the whole scene of racing, and £240 for a whole day at Goodwood amongst like-minded people sounds better value for me than £200 for two half days at Mallory crammed in amongst so many other drivers with different agendas. Plus two days out the office, two sets of tow car fuel etc etc

Likewise sprints at £100+ seem poor value compared to races at £200. I'd rather do one great £240 event than two sub-standard £100 ones.

But each to their own.
Old 20 Feb 2009, 11:53 (Ref:2400767)   #31
simon drabble
Veteran

midgetman I am with you on all that - I am actually having a very good year to date but having to work very hard and like you would prefer one good day than 2 average ones!!
Old 20 Feb 2009, 13:01 (Ref:2400796)   #32
relativtortoise
Racer

relativtortoise should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Clearly not all is doom and gloom out there...

VSCC's Pom has an entry of 110 cars this year....more than usual!

RT
Old 20 Feb 2009, 13:18 (Ref:2400810)   #33
Colin McKay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Colin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridColin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by simon drabble
without a 750 MC Fiesta or XJS spinning in front of me which is my memory of Mallory....
Track days can be a real lottery, especially on circuits like Mallory (and Goodwood!) which don't allow much room for error, but they're a lot cheaper than test days if all you want is seat time so I tend to choose places like Brands where there's more space for those little indiscretions.....

Having had the odd little spin now and then, it would be a bit harsh to chuck you out for the first one unless your driving style is generally lairy. The first time I pirhouetted (hard) into the tyre wall in a kart my instructor told me 'if you're not losing it, you're not finding the limit either'. How else do you learn?
Old 20 Feb 2009, 13:25 (Ref:2400817)   #34
simon drabble
Veteran

Colin I agree to a degree... whenever I have been on "testing" days it tends to be the same cars spinning - normally pushing it on cold old tyres! Goodwood have perfected the trackday IMHO and run a tight ship
Old 20 Feb 2009, 13:42 (Ref:2400837)   #35
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by simon drabble
Al it seems its been a while since you have done anything but moan ;o) Mallory for testing I am sure is good for you professionals but if I am taking a day off work I want to have some fun and a leisurely day of going out whenever I want without a 750 MC Fiesta or XJS spinning in front of me which is my memory of Mallory....
Excuse me for breathing, its a debating forum is'nt it for God's sake! Anyhow for what its worth I have had a lot of work in this last week so lets see how it all pans out, at least my small mortgage on my business premises has plummetted from £475 a month to £154 so not all bad!!!

Last edited by Al Weyman; 20 Feb 2009 at 13:46.
Old 20 Feb 2009, 16:45 (Ref:2400942)   #36
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
There you are Simon, something positive!

Actually, I've been listening to first hand feedback from 3 businesses recently, 2 small, one large, where turnover is well up and they are rushed off their feet. One of them is catering for a hobby, an area that you would expect to be first hit when money get's tight.

I still think that there is a prospect of good grids in Historic racing this year. A number of clubs have dropped a meeting or two which is actually no bad thing, given that it is still a very full calendar with several clashes. One that I personally find galling, because I like to go to both, is the AMOC St John Horsfall meeting at Silverstone which is on the same day as the HSCC Autosport 3 hours at Snetterton.
Old 21 Feb 2009, 13:37 (Ref:2401367)   #37
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
The long term outlook is a downturn and as usual the good will survive and the badly organised weak will fail.Masters will pull through,Silverstone Festival is now back on track after being dead and buried at Christmas and I notice that RW has mentioned somewhere that all will be in order before Oldtimers and Monterrey get off the blocks.Goodwood will succeed but probably have to change its format as their corporate backers will reduce payments.Dijon programme is already changed from that anticipated due to Brits not wanting to travel.Pau needs entries but a full entry for Tour Auto.Monza will be an interesting barometer .There will be major changes and those could be a good thing as there was/are to many meetings,organisers,rallies etc,etc.
Old 23 Feb 2009, 17:24 (Ref:2402559)   #38
Derwent Motorsp
Veteran

Scotland
Cumbria
Derwent Motorsp should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Interestingly, my local motor club which is very strong on historic motorsport, finished last year with 530 members. We really thought we would see a big drop this year but the renewals have been better than ever with 490 renewing before the "cut off" last week. Thus if we pick up 40 new members (and there will no doubt be a few late payers) over the next ten months, we will be at a record breaking level.
I think if you offer value for money you will survive.
Old 7 Mar 2009, 08:39 (Ref:2410854)   #39
fasted
Racer

England
fasted should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
How nice to see the VSCC and the Triple Challenge cars of 750MC have had the common sense to combine to form a full grid at VSCC Oulton Park.
16 May. Which will be the quicker the genuine period "Proper" cars or those Fiendish little Austin Seven hot rods from the 1950s. Maybe there is a pointer here for other clubs, and, could this happen when the organisers are commercial organisers rather than clubs.
Old 17 Mar 2009, 09:10 (Ref:2417207)   #40
jellison
Veteran

England
Surrey
jellison has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerwills View Post
I did the GRRC sprint last year and plan to do it again this year. Yes, its a relatively short amount of track time but a lot of fun and an incredibly eclectic bunch of cars.
I have been mulling over joinging the TR Sprint series and just doing a few down south like Goodwood, but can't quite bring myself to do it. Been to a few and "My God the amount of standing about, for absolutely Naff All lap time is just laughable".