Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 25 Jul 2017, 08:42 (Ref:3754189)   #1
Simon Hadfield
Veteran

Simon Hadfield should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSimon Hadfield should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Health and Safety

This is really a "What does the team think?" thread.
At Donington last Sunday a competitor lost a wheel right in front of one of our cars, leaving James with the immediate choice of T-boning chappie or sticking his car in the tyre wall. Having chosen the rubber girded haven of the tyres he got out of his car to find it significantly damaged - chassis, front and rear uprights, rack, bodywork etc and chappie just stranded on the kerb less one wheel.
Having rather firmly questioned the other guy's intellectual prowess and his parentage status amongst other comments, James had to stand there and watch the rest of the race.
After the race the charmless, wheelless nerk did not even have the grace to come over and either commiserate or apologise, but apparently just put a new wheel on, loaded up and disappeared.
Now the point of telling this story is that as the dust settled we were told that this is not the first time that this competitor in this car has lost a wheel. As we head off down to Silverstone for this weekends beano where we have a bundle of Heath and Safety notes to even be allowed to enter the event, should not the relevant authorities be rather more concerned about competitors health and safety by ensuring that silly little issues like wheels staying on cars is of rather more importance?
This guy will in all likelihood turn up at the next event and there is no way of knowing if his car is now "fit for purpose". Is it time that in Historic racing - even in most Club racing - that there is a log book system whereby cars previous accidents and faults are noted and then those issues can be highlighted and a proper set of controls initiated to ensure that the racing environment is as well checked as that in the paddock?
Or are the priorities correct?

Last edited by Simon Hadfield; 25 Jul 2017 at 08:48.
Old 25 Jul 2017, 09:01 (Ref:3754191)   #2
Paul D
Veteran

England
Southport, Merseyside
Paul D should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridPaul D should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sounds like serious muppetry to me if he has form for the same thing previously! Of course, none of us is perfect, and we can probably all recall moments when we've made silly mistakes - bonnet pins left out, forgot to check tyre pressures, didn't add enough fuel, etc, etc. But, most of us learn from those incidents and vow not to make the same mistake again - not to do so suggests either carelessness, or worse...

The problem comes when we try to legislate for such people. In these situations, I always think of the old adage: if you think you've made something idiot-proof, someone will just come along with a bigger idiot!
Old 25 Jul 2017, 09:34 (Ref:3754196)   #3
The Fat Clerk
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Bishopscourt
The Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridThe Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A chat to the Scrutineers might be an idea.
Old 25 Jul 2017, 09:35 (Ref:3754198)   #4
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
I have been saying for some time that a log book system would work very well . Not only for safety but also cut down waiting time in scrutineering. But then hey who listens to me 🙄
Old 25 Jul 2017, 10:31 (Ref:3754204)   #5
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
It used to amaze/amuse me both in my own Mini Se7en racing days and later working in the BTCC when part of the scrutineering process involved trying to rock the wheels and at the same time check the wheel nuts were at least finger tight! Especially as generally the cars were presented with different tyres fitted than they were even going to practice on!
Having said that, to have something like a wheel come loose once is pretty foolish, but for it to happen more than once is downright careless.
Old 25 Jul 2017, 11:02 (Ref:3754207)   #6
begbier
Rookie

United Kingdom
begbier should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think some kind of log book system for the car is the way to go.

However, what can we do about the ungracious types that cause havoc and then just walk away? Similar thing happened to me when testing at Mallory a few years ago. Bloke had just 'traded up' from a road spec Midget to a full-on mod sport version with slicks and racing brakes. Didn't get himself or car warmed up and ended up using the back of my car to stop himself. Cost me many ££££ and a several missed races. Did the same as Simon's miscreant - no attempt to apologise or even explain.

Maybe there should be a section in the log book covering the driver?
Old 25 Jul 2017, 17:12 (Ref:3754303)   #7
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
There is already an MSA 'Competition Car Log Book' that is used for speed events and rallying, but I'm not sure if it is more of an identity document rather than a scrutineering / accident / incident recording one?

Some country's governing bodies use a log book system and I think it is a great way to keep a record of a car's history. Would be happy to see it adopted for circuit racing in the UK!
Old 25 Jul 2017, 19:46 (Ref:3754368)   #8
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Ohhh Mike can't you just see the complaints on here..."more beaureaucracy" "just another tax on entering."

I'm sharpening my virtual pencil now

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk
Old 26 Jul 2017, 07:20 (Ref:3754438)   #9
Simon Hadfield
Veteran

Simon Hadfield should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSimon Hadfield should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ah, playing the bureaucracy card this early! Well, in some organisations in the US that have the log book system they can - at their first meeting - scrutineer for the entire season. Yes, one scrutineering for the whole year. As shown at the weekend the accepted UK concept can hardly be called fit for purpose if wheels fall off mid race.......
So the logbook system, if used to its full effect, allows a reduction in time spent queuing and waiting, allows greater effective scrutiny of a cars racing life and the stresses that have been put upon it, allows weaknesses to be identified and corrected, allows effective, ongoing, real time notification of other owners of similar cars of such problem areas, allows far more effective use of scrutineers to actively police regulatory compliance while out and about in the paddock, what's not to like?
Old 26 Jul 2017, 07:40 (Ref:3754440)   #10
p261brm
Veteran

England
Shropshire & Oura
p261brm should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridp261brm should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta View Post
I have been saying for some time that a log book system would work very well . Not only for safety but also cut down waiting time in scrutineering. But then hey who listens to me ��
No one Iain, no one far too busy making sure the ugthumbgrommet is as per 1965 design and manufacture and meets the FIA data base to worry about wheels falling off.
Old 26 Jul 2017, 07:42 (Ref:3754441)   #11
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
You know me Simon, Devil's Advocate. I bet in the US a log book costs virtually nothing, in the UK it would have to be on FIA approved paper with an official ink you can only buy from the MSA, and you would lose your hard-earned win if you had a non-homologated comma.

I've thought for a long time that scrutineering isn't fit for purpose. We scrutineer on a Saturday night and by the time the kart hits the track the next morning it carries different wheels, bodywork and engine that haven't been "checked". What's the point? There's more attention paid to post-race eligibility scrutineering including paperwork than safety.

I don't think though that your idea would eradicate stupidity or metal fatigue, depending on what happened here. Indeed it may promote laziness and inattention. There just isn't the man power available - so I hand my log book in and it says "wheel fell off". What do you do? Send a scrutineer with a torque wrench to check before it goes out?

Old 26 Jul 2017, 07:56 (Ref:3754442)   #12
p261brm
Veteran

England
Shropshire & Oura
p261brm should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridp261brm should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post
You know me Simon, Devil's Advocate. I bet in the US a log book costs virtually nothing, in the UK it would have to be on FIA approved paper with an official ink you can only buy from the MSA, and you would lose your hard-earned win if you had a non-homologated comma.

I've thought for a long time that scrutineering isn't fit for purpose. We scrutineer on a Saturday night and by the time the kart hits the track the next morning it carries different wheels, bodywork and engine that haven't been "checked". What's the point? There's more attention paid to post-race eligibility scrutineering including paperwork than safety.

I don't think though that your idea would eradicate stupidity or metal fatigue, depending on what happened here. Indeed it may promote laziness and inattention. There just isn't the man power available - so I hand my log book in and it says "wheel fell off". What do you do? Send a scrutineer with a torque wrench to check before it goes out?

Then the stud would shear..... remember the F1 team who made the angle on the wheel nut exactly the same as the angle in the wheel, 3 fell off before the thought powers were restored.
Old 26 Jul 2017, 08:12 (Ref:3754444)   #13
Simon Hadfield
Veteran

The concept, Max, would be at the next race the scrutineers, when handed the logbook would ask to see the receipt for the replacement hub, would ask to see what steps had been taken - modified hub, better material, different supplier, different installation procedures possibly - and that would be recorded on the logbook. As there are no wasteful queues and waiting the scrutineers would have the time to be proactive like this. Also at the same time, as I mentioned, all the other owners of cars with similar components could be updated and informed as to likely problems. If we really value safety rather than just ticking health and safety boxes then surely this is a worthwhile train of thought?
A logbook would also (although obviously not recording testing etc) give a much better idea of seat, seatbelt and bagtank usage - then we would have real time information as to when things wear out, we would not have to be under some lowest common denominator blanket constriction as we are now.
Further, if someone is found to be "pushing the envelope" of technical development then other similar cars can be informed (and checked) and the spread of regulatory inconsistencies can be stopped far quicker.

But then some ten years ago on this very forum I said that the "arms race" in Historic racing was out of control and needed better control.....how very right I was....
Old 26 Jul 2017, 10:52 (Ref:3754465)   #14
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Well, the way things are going I suspect ICE based motorsport will be disappeared from most of Europe in the next couple of decades and so no one will be putting too much effort into changing things now.

If the whole thing moves to the USA (for example) or Australia/NZ if they don't lose their heads, then presumably the localised UK problem will be bypassed.

Maybe the Middle East will provide other options too? Do they have any car history tracking systems in place?
Old 26 Jul 2017, 11:48 (Ref:3754473)   #15
midgetman
Veteran

Thank you for explaining your idea in detail Simon that makes a great deal of sense. Although implementation would still require man power that isn't available. And in your example "wheel fell off" could be hub damage, wheel damage, fat finger syndrome or many other things so how do you prove the problem has been addressed?

Grant I think actually the opposite will happen - ICE motorsport in its widest sense will grow as EV make their mark. It will be the only place one can drive fast and free from speed regulation. The lack of effort from the powers-that-be stems more from their inertia and lack of understanding of real world problems than any "it'll all be dead soon" thoughts.

To my mind the MSA hasn't progressed from the 1920s, but that's another discussion!

Old 26 Jul 2017, 12:25 (Ref:3754481)   #16
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
A log book is a good idea, some people keep them anyway. It would also serve a purpose should a car change hands . . . . ie a reliable race finisher . . . or not, an idiotic owner . . .or not. . . . nut behind the wheel a bit loose?

First hand experience of wheels falling off . . . . . Goodwood Fordwater trophy in the Tornado. I never got the opportunity to apologise to 'rock royalty offspring' for what must have been a bit scary (AC up my chuff would have been extremely close to the loose wheel doing 80mph) I spread the word that rear drive shafts are unfit for purpose. exactly the same thing happened to another Tornado 5 months later on the very same corner. Avoidable, but a deaf (ex) owner.

In our hands at least, this issue is well documented and has now been resolved. No performance gain, just a safer more reliable car which is now finishing races.

A simple finish/DNF record, and cause for DNF and 'accident' tick box would speak volumes.

It would also open another can of worms . . . unless administered by say a CoC ( signed and approved statement by owner maybe ? I nthe case of an accident

Then you get onto things like Cortina-Renault incident at Goodwood . . . . I know what happened, the punters read what gets put in the GRRC story book and all the other tales in between.

Last edited by John Turner; 29 Jul 2017 at 07:59. Reason: See Joe's post below - JT
Old 26 Jul 2017, 19:13 (Ref:3754558)   #17
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Hadfield View Post
The concept, Max, would be at the next race the scrutineers, when handed the logbook would ask to see the receipt for the replacement hub, would ask to see what steps had been taken - modified hub, better material, different supplier, different installation procedures possibly - and that would be recorded on the logbook. As there are no wasteful queues and waiting the scrutineers would have the time to be proactive like this. Also at the same time, as I mentioned, all the other owners of cars with similar components could be updated and informed as to likely problems. If we really value safety rather than just ticking health and safety boxes then surely this is a worthwhile train of thought?
A logbook would also (although obviously not recording testing etc) give a much better idea of seat, seatbelt and bagtank usage - then we would have real time information as to when things wear out, we would not have to be under some lowest common denominator blanket constriction as we are now.
Further, if someone is found to be "pushing the envelope" of technical development then other similar cars can be informed (and checked) and the spread of regulatory inconsistencies can be stopped far quicker.

But then some ten years ago on this very forum I said that the "arms race" in Historic racing was out of control and needed better control.....how very right I was....
So what has improved in that time Simon?
That was around the same time it was suggested to me to "Forget Historics Terry,their fxxxxd"The reason behind that suggestion was because the "data base"that was supposedly being created to keep track on the cars and or new owners had little or effect on the amount of non conforming modifications then,probably zero effect these days.
So a log book will stop what and how will it do it?Desparate owners will always find away around thesr things-they always have.
Old 26 Jul 2017, 21:34 (Ref:3754581)   #18
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post
Thank you for explaining your idea in detail Simon that makes a great deal of sense. Although implementation would still require man power that isn't available. And in your example "wheel fell off" could be hub damage, wheel damage, fat finger syndrome or many other things so how do you prove the problem has been addressed?

Grant I think actually the opposite will happen - ICE motorsport in its widest sense will grow as EV make their mark. It will be the only place one can drive fast and free from speed regulation. The lack of effort from the powers-that-be stems more from their inertia and lack of understanding of real world problems than any "it'll all be dead soon" thoughts.

To my mind the MSA hasn't progressed from the 1920s, but that's another discussion!

Max,

Much easier for the authorities to eliminate the fuel supply thus making the sport more difficult for ordinary mortals to be involved.

Historic racing might thrive, but I would suggest it will be much easier and cheaper out side the UK and possibly Europe for those who have enough money to travel and drive.

Circuits, Silverstone for example, are likely to go the way of the Lausitzring to be used by manufacturers of electric vehicles as test centres.

Obviously that is entirely speculation - but it's either that or they are converted to Mars colony support establishments as Space-X rocket systems training sites.

Thinking about it Silverstone is probably well suited to such a role in a number of ways!

We live in strange times.
Old 26 Jul 2017, 22:00 (Ref:3754583)   #19
71GTM
Rookie

71GTM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
After seeing the chap stuff his B8 into paddock hill tyre wall the other week, it does remind you that these are old cars and if something goes wrong, for whatever reason, it can be very serious. I would think you would have to be very stupid to take a slack attitude to your own and others safety.

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk
Old 27 Jul 2017, 07:58 (Ref:3754628)   #20
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
I meant to say is a good idea / not a bad idea!

another issue is the ever continuing pace of development which is clearly out performing the capabilities of most cars and many drivers!

Joe, thought you did - I'll amend it - JT

Last edited by John Turner; 29 Jul 2017 at 07:58.
Old 30 Jul 2017, 05:25 (Ref:3755804)   #21
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by zefarelly View Post
I meant to say is a good idea / not a bad idea!

another issue is the ever continuing pace of development which is clearly out performing the capabilities of most cars and many drivers!

Joe, thought you did - I'll amend it - JT
Yeaaaa so did i .
Old 31 Jul 2017, 11:16 (Ref:3756395)   #22
brookesy
Rookie

England
Lincolnshire
brookesy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I believe this is a sensible idea which could be made to work, and if it prevented just one incident, as referred to, then money time and potential injury would be saved.
Old 31 Jul 2017, 12:56 (Ref:3756411)   #23
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

Surely the issue here is not just down to a car and the number of times it breaks (perhaps a scrutineering issue in terms of checking an enforcement since scrutineering seems to be the competent authority for cars) but also the driver and preparer.

Now I will also assume that all incidents are reported (certainly major incidents) to race control. And therefore are archived?

How difficult would it be to consolidate this information from the archives and set "watch" flags to establish a "need to monitor" focus on any of those parties?

Of course I can see some pitfalls with the approach but it's something that might not take much effort in reality and couls then be assessed for how much benefit may be derived.

In effect the existing reports to race control are likely to give a more comprehensive picture of events than a logbook - or so I would have thought.

Would I be wrong in that assumption?
Old 31 Jul 2017, 13:10 (Ref:3756412)   #24
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Grant, the log book system is already being used perfectly well in other countries, so we don't need to 're-invent the wheel' (no pun intended), just adopt a proven system from elsewhere.......
Old 31 Jul 2017, 16:58 (Ref:3756460)   #25
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
Grant, the log book system is already being used perfectly well in other countries, so we don't need to 're-invent the wheel' (no pun intended), just adopt a proven system from elsewhere.......
Fine for the car mike - but does it cover the humans involved?

My point was, really, that there is probably enough information already collected to identify one or dodgy cars or miscreant individuals (if that's what they are) without giving everyone another admin tasks and document to remember.

More to the point it would likely be something that could be put to use now rather than waiting for history to build in a log book.

But I have no dog in the race so I'll leave it there.