Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 2 Dec 2008, 22:48 (Ref:2345968)   #26
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
Thats the downside of having commercial race organisers running races for Motion Works who in turn work for BRDC.There are lots of margins to be covered and lots of baggage in that set up.
Goodwood does not have or need the same set up running all the races themselves.Downside to that is lots of power vis with the blokes who pick the entries.
Old 2 Dec 2008, 23:06 (Ref:2345972)   #27
fasted
Racer

England
fasted should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A"Split" grid Guards Trophy round, similar to that at this years Gold Cup meeting would be appropriate.
Old 2 Dec 2008, 23:10 (Ref:2345975)   #28
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
There is a reason why they are called 'MASTERS'!
Old 3 Dec 2008, 03:32 (Ref:2346069)   #29
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by simon drabble
From what I understand of the programme it seems that there will be little reason for going both days - if you think about either Goodwood (or indeed the old Silverstone Historic) there is a great breadth of racing over the two days so people will want to come for two days to watch. If Sunday is pretty much a rehash of Saturday but with less cars due to attrition then it makes Sunday a bit lack lustre... I will go if I have a race for the Merlyn (at the moment it seems unlikely) otherwise unless I get a decent lunch invite its one I will probably miss....
I agree to an extent. Personally I like weekend events and if I've only got one race then it gives me time to spectate, bull**** with the rest of you and generally enjoy the event for what it is. If I have to race on both days then there's little chance to relax and be a racing enthusiast. So personally I'd be happy to keep the car there all weekend because that's what the event is about for both drivers and spectators.
Old 3 Dec 2008, 08:14 (Ref:2346130)   #30
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
If Silverstone wish to generate spectating interest then they need to have a 2 day programme which is varied.
Sorry Terry I know you have to fly the Audi flag but if I want to watch 90's touring cars I will go and watch a round of Britcar.
All pretty irrelevant what I think as its unlikely that I will be there!
Old 3 Dec 2008, 08:28 (Ref:2346136)   #31
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Points taken Simon but I think the thinking behind the Tourers is that they were from a period when they were far superior to the rubbish they are now,much more popular to the punters,therefore they should put more bums on seats.I totally agree that they have no place at any Historic event but the powers that be obviously think its the way to go.
Old 3 Dec 2008, 08:31 (Ref:2346138)   #32
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I would have thought the answer is to delve back in time to the Coys Festivals and try and replicate them - they worked...
However they also lost money....
Old 3 Dec 2008, 08:33 (Ref:2346142)   #33
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
They were the best years indeed,but as you say,they lost money.
It would not be so bad if there were some age structuring for the cars,starting with the earlyist cars on Saturday and ending with the Tourers last thing Sunday,at least that would possibly help keep the punters there till the end.

Last edited by terence; 3 Dec 2008 at 08:37.
Old 3 Dec 2008, 08:48 (Ref:2346151)   #34
simon drabble
Veteran

I think if they worked through it by era there would be a mass exodus around 11.00 am Sunday!
Old 3 Dec 2008, 12:45 (Ref:2346352)   #35
morninggents
Veteran

England
Up north, near York.
morninggents should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Time will tell if it's going to be a success or not - personally 90s Touring Cars and Porkers don't do it for me.
If it is not a success perhaps the festival may revert to being a HSCC run event direct for BRDC - no bad thing in my opinion.
Old 3 Dec 2008, 12:47 (Ref:2346355)   #36
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

Did Coys lose money?Remember Alec told me it was there second biggest income when Fitz ran the show
The idea is to keep the Paddocks full of interesting cars ,seems like good idea to me.
As for this BSCC thing,they are dreaming if they think thats going to get people through the gate.Build on what they started this year except that Porsche thing.Its not bums on seats,its people be interested and walking about and spending money.The 90's race should be on the undercard of a BSCC round to see if it works.They will need all the help they can get when they lose manufacurer backing.Will Ford leave WRC,that could be the start.
Old 3 Dec 2008, 12:50 (Ref:2346358)   #37
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

The answer to Post 33.We would be gone and packed by 10 am Saturday.Perhaps thats the idea.
Old 3 Dec 2008, 12:53 (Ref:2346359)   #38
simon drabble
Veteran

I was once told by an employee of Terry's club that Coys never made a profit...
Old 3 Dec 2008, 13:29 (Ref:2346379)   #39
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

Worth checking to see which story is correct.
Old 3 Dec 2008, 14:13 (Ref:2346409)   #40
compte deGraves
Veteran

France
Charente, France
compte deGraves should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridcompte deGraves should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Now please don't get upset BUT why is it that the English always think that they know the answer and that the rest of us Europeans haven't got a clue?

The Oldtimers at Nurburgring gets an enormous crowd. The hoteliers tell me that they make more money than at any other event except the Grand Prix. The Jim Clarke Revival at Hockenheim similarly pulls in the crowds as does Le Circuit des Remparts at Angouleme in France. Goodwood clearly has the formula right but can that be said of any other historic race meeting in the U.K?

Look over the other side of La Manche and you might learn something!
Old 3 Dec 2008, 14:17 (Ref:2346411)   #41
simon drabble
Veteran

out of interest do either of these events run races for 90's saloons? It is a fair point you make.
Why Coys lost money I dont nkow - certainly the last one (in fact Nescafe rather than Coys!) gave Goodwood level of driver comfort with our own free restaurant - those where the days!!
Old 3 Dec 2008, 14:21 (Ref:2346415)   #42
compte deGraves
Veteran

France
Charente, France
compte deGraves should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridcompte deGraves should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
out of interest do either of these events run races for 90's saloons? It is a fair point you make.
Why Coys lost money I dont nkow - certainly the last one (in fact Nescafe rather than Coys!) gave Goodwood level of driver comfort with our own free restaurant - those where the days!!
I have not seen any '90s saloons at any of these events.
Old 3 Dec 2008, 14:26 (Ref:2346417)   #43
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
Quote:
Originally Posted by compte deGraves
Now please don't get upset BUT why is it that the English always think that they know the answer and that the rest of us Europeans haven't got a clue?

The Oldtimers at Nurburgring gets an enormous crowd. The hoteliers tell me that they make more money than at any other event except the Grand Prix. The Jim Clarke Revival at Hockenheim similarly pulls in the crowds as does Le Circuit des Remparts at Angouleme in France. Goodwood clearly has the formula right but can that be said of any other historic race meeting in the U.K?

Look over the other side of La Manche and you might learn something!
That has been the case for many years! Bums on seats,People walking around spending money,is there a difference to actually getting people through the gate?

Last edited by terence; 3 Dec 2008 at 14:31.
Old 3 Dec 2008, 14:37 (Ref:2346421)   #44
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

With todays currency we can afford to look not go.

The Oldtimers has lost spectators .Probably our fault as we have been going since 98.

The British do have some ideas as they are the majority of entrants for most major race meetings.Angouleme being the exception but that is really the French answer to VSCC.Spa no spectators but an English Club race.

Refuse to answer the first line as the answer to Roast Beef question would be along the lines that we obviously know best.
Old 3 Dec 2008, 14:47 (Ref:2346426)   #45
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

Terrance,yes there is,You get them through the gate and then get them to spend not sit in Grandstands.John Webb said his ideal day,on his way to demolishing British club racing,would be sun in the morning to bring them in and then rain to get them to buy grandstand seats which he would sell at stupid rates.They can't do that these days as the Grandstands are free so there has to be another way.If they don't spend the stall holders cannot pay the rent etc,etc and so the whole thing collapses.Its called running a business.
I cant get my head round the three margins bit in today's financial situation or the need for BRDC to sub contract a job they could get a management team to do.Thats what happens at Goodwood.What a team Peter,Fen Tiger,Zef as Chairman and Al to support the Saga brigade.I have just woken up!
Old 3 Dec 2008, 14:49 (Ref:2346429)   #46
simon drabble
Veteran

it would be a BL/Ford Fest....
Old 3 Dec 2008, 15:54 (Ref:2346461)   #47
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
Quote:
it would be a BL/Ford Fest....

You forgot Chevrolet.

Chips anyone?

Last edited by terence; 3 Dec 2008 at 15:56.
Old 3 Dec 2008, 17:10 (Ref:2346526)   #48
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by john ruston
Terrance,yes there is,You get them through the gate and then get them to spend not sit in Grandstands.John Webb said his ideal day,on his way to demolishing British club racing,would be sun in the morning to bring them in and then rain to get them to buy grandstand seats which he would sell at stupid rates.They can't do that these days as the Grandstands are free so there has to be another way.If they don't spend the stall holders cannot pay the rent etc,etc and so the whole thing collapses.Its called running a business.
I cant get my head round the three margins bit in today's financial situation or the need for BRDC to sub contract a job they could get a management team to do.Thats what happens at Goodwood.What a team Peter,Fen Tiger,Zef as Chairman and Al to support the Saga brigade.I have just woken up!
Yeah and im in charge of scooters.
Old 3 Dec 2008, 17:48 (Ref:2346562)   #49
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Agree with JR and Compte.Someone needs to have a look at the Oldtimers. The past couple of years the new Mini's have been running "who cares". The place is allways swarming with spectators the outside fields are filled with motor clubs i think its one of the best meetings of the year and Silverstone Classic could be just as good if not better.Lets face it most of the teams and cars that go to Nurburgring are from the UK.
If Zefs going to be the chairman we could have a monster Scallextric track as well.
Old 4 Dec 2008, 12:02 (Ref:2347176)   #50
KA
Veteran

KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by terence bower
Points taken Simon but I think the thinking behind the Tourers is that they were from a period when they were far superior to the rubbish they are now,much more popular to the punters,therefore they should put more bums on seats.I totally agree that they have no place at any Historic event but the powers that be obviously think its the way to go.
I reckon the crucial word missing from that is 'YET'- The 90's tourers still seem to attract a lot of interest from fans of the current touring car scene (I suspect, as you say, because for anyone who started watching them in the 90's they probably are better than what's being served up now...), and I reckon they could well be a significant historic category in the future- but at the moment, it's a curious addition to the programme. To me it's just probably about 5-10 years too early for this one right now...

Tags
historic racing, pre '63 gts