Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 18 Feb 2011, 11:29 (Ref:2833245)   #1
eamonn ledwidge
Racer

Ireland
Fyfield, Essex, UK
eamonn ledwidge should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Crossle 9S test day and 2011 Race Challenge.

The 2011 inaugural meeting of Crossle Owners Group (COG) will take place at Silverstone on Sunday 20th March 2011.

The Group’s aims for the day will be for all the UK based Crossle 9S sports racer owners to enjoy a relaxed pre- season warm up/shakedown session. We shall promote the marque heavily, both before and during the event, at which our racing programme for the the 2011 season will also be announced. The intention is to introduce the superb Crossle 9S to an audience of racers, trackday drivers and novices who may not have encountered this car before. 10 cars will be in attendance, including the Crossle works demonstrator and a BMW engined HTP car, both over from Ireland for the day. Arnie Black, Managing Director of Crossle Cars Ltd will also be in attendance.

We have taken one of the pit garages which will become the Crossle base for the day. If you are an owner, driver, enthusiast, journalist or photographer, please put the date in your diary and come along. We will provide hospitality in the form of food and beverages and there will be the opportunity to get up close to the cars and chat with the drivers. Some of the more experienced invitees may get a ride or drive.

Regular updates on here and on the 9S owners website: crossleownersgroup.com

If you are interested in attending and would like to know more, please contact me via this Forum or use the website contact information.

*Our outing is part of a Gold Track event.
Old 18 Feb 2011, 13:37 (Ref:2833299)   #2
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
What are Crossle 9S cars.New ones or old ones?
Old 18 Feb 2011, 14:30 (Ref:2833318)   #3
eamonn ledwidge
Racer

Ireland
Fyfield, Essex, UK
Both will be in attendance John, together with a 1965 7S model not seen in action for over 30 years. This car, with a most interesting and well documented race history in Ireland, France and Germany has been restored at the Crossle factory and will get its first outing on the day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by john ruston View Post
Old 18 Feb 2011, 15:02 (Ref:2833333)   #4
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Some are originals, some are "continuation models" with 2 litre Ford Zetecs.
Old 18 Feb 2011, 20:23 (Ref:2833468)   #5
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by john ruston View Post
THats what I was going to say

but you missed out 'new old ones'
Old 28 Feb 2011, 17:40 (Ref:2838040)   #6
eamonn ledwidge
Racer

Ireland
Fyfield, Essex, UK
The recently formed Crosslé Owners Group are pleased to announce that for the 2011 season, Crosslé will join Chevron again on the grid after nearly 50 years. Under the auspices of the British Automobile Racing Club, they will share the Chevron GR8 Challenge Series.

The Crosslé 9S Challenge Series, as it will be known, will be open to all owners of Crosslé sports prototype racing cars built since the 1960s when they were first raced on the circuits of Britain and Europe against the might of Lotus, Elva, Brabham and of course Chevron.

The Crosslé Car Company of Holywood in County Down continues to build the 9S sports racing car, first conceived in 1963, in a version powered by a Ford Zetec engine whilst still using the Hewland Mark 9 gearbox. The power to weight ratio and agility of the car makes it a formidable competitor today just as it was in the heady pioneering racing days of the 60s.

The 9S has proved to be the perfect racing car for novices and experienced drivers alike. In these days of financial restraint, it is a very cost effective club racer. It is not only very fast and easy to drive, but importantly, it is easy and inexpensive to maintain.

Fixture dates:

9/10 April, Pembrey

7/8 May, Silverstone

28 May, Oulton Park

2/3 July, Anglesey

28/29 August, Brands Hatch

17/19 September, Snetterton

9 October, Mallory Park

For further information about The Crosslé 9S Challenge, The Crosslé Owners Group and the Crosslé 9S, visit www.Crossleownersgroup.co.uk and www.Crossle.co.uk

Alternatively, you can ask contact me via this forum.

Last edited by eamonn ledwidge; 28 Feb 2011 at 18:00.
Old 1 Mar 2011, 01:27 (Ref:2838233)   #7
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
I am looking for proper historic Crossle with BMW engine.Any ideas.Missed my last chance but only a real one.
Old 12 Mar 2011, 20:22 (Ref:2844657)   #8
kickstart
Veteran

United Kingdom
Cheshire
kickstart should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Don't know if Jon Shipman sold his 9s but it was up for sale a while ago at I think £120k ish
Old 14 Mar 2011, 07:37 (Ref:2845311)   #9
eamonn ledwidge
Racer

Ireland
Fyfield, Essex, UK
Car still with Shipman and he is very happy! He has an invitation to our test day on 20 March at Silverstone, but may not make it due to other commitments.

We should have 14 9S models along for the day, plus a recently restored 1965 twin cam engined 7S with important race history in Ireland, UK, France and Germany. Nice group of invited guests and journalists coming along. All thats needed is decent weather.

Hopefully we can field a good number of cars for Spa, 10/11/12 June where we will be joined by the Swiss based 9S owners for the annual reunion.

Regular updates on here and the website:crossleownersgroup.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by kickstart View Post
Don't know if Jon Shipman sold his 9s but it was up for sale a while ago at I think £120k ish
Old 16 Mar 2011, 19:05 (Ref:2847002)   #10
cliveagyoung
Rookie

United Kingdom
Heast Janglia
cliveagyoung should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Will be there as a possible new owner.

Will there be drives or Passenger rides available??
Old 16 Mar 2011, 19:42 (Ref:2847032)   #11
eamonn ledwidge
Racer

Ireland
Fyfield, Essex, UK
Thank you for your interest.

Test drives may be offered only to suitably qualified drivers who demonstrate a serious intention to purchase. Owners may also offer a couple of laps in the passenger seat to selected guests, subject to signing a disclaimer.

Last edited by eamonn ledwidge; 16 Mar 2011 at 19:48. Reason: typo
Old 22 Mar 2011, 08:48 (Ref:2851038)   #12
eamonn ledwidge
Racer

Ireland
Fyfield, Essex, UK
We enjoyed a fabulous day out at Silverstone on Sunday, in bright but cold conditions, which did little to help water temperatures. Grand Prix circuit took a little learning!

14 cars in all attended, 12 x Zetec engined models, David Kelly's BMW engined HTP car from Ireland and Arnie's 1965 Team Supertune twin cam engined 7S, fresh from full restoration at the factory. This car attracted lots of admiration from our visitors and will hopefully be seen later in this season in Guards Trophy. The Shipman 9S, ex Mervyn Wingfield, was missing due to owner being abroad.

We had a steady flow of visitors throughout the day, some of whom got rides and drives. Notable attendees, Frank and Judy Lyons in the morning and Tony Southgate, all day. John Watson, a serious pilot in 7S in 1965/66 back home was unable to join us due to business commitments overseas.

Our owners all had a successful shakedown prior to start of the season, combined with a very enjoyable social event.

Marketplace: One Zetec engined car sold at the asking price, with two keen buyers over.

Photos hopefully to come, either when I master the posting technique or someone more adept does so.
Old 22 Mar 2011, 09:00 (Ref:2851044)   #13
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Eamonn, just trim (if you need to) and size them down a bit using say, Adobe photoshop. Then for posting them hit the 'advanced' button, scroll down to 'Manage attachments', click on it and it will open up a browser enabling you to select the pics you wish to post. Then select 'upload from your computer' and when complete close the browser window and hit the 'submit reply' button. Very straight forward.

Look forward to seeing the pics!
Old 22 Mar 2011, 15:02 (Ref:2851293)   #14
nikon man
Rookie

nikon man should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i hope this works...

djb

dj.bin3@ntlworld.com
Old 22 Mar 2011, 15:51 (Ref:2851320)   #15
nikon man
Rookie

nikon man should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
more pictures from a cracking day at silverstone.i look forward in seeing the cars racing in 2011

IMG]http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a263/djbin99/silverstoneA20-3-110329-1.jpg[/IMG]

djb

dj.bin3@ntlworld.com
Old 22 Mar 2011, 23:12 (Ref:2851544)   #16
andyto
Rookie

andyto should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks!!

What a great day out. Apart from thrashing my gearbox. A big thanks to Sue, Mary, Nick, Mark, Gwyn, Arnie and Eamonn for all the hard work.
Old 23 Mar 2011, 19:04 (Ref:2852045)   #17
Roger D
Rookie

Roger D should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyto View Post
What a great day out. Apart from thrashing my gearbox. A big thanks to Sue, Mary, Nick, Mark, Gwyn, Arnie and Eamonn for all the hard work.
Andy
Is that thrashing or trashing your gearbox - if the latter - sounds expensive.
Old 20 Apr 2011, 10:48 (Ref:2866877)   #18
cliveagyoung
Rookie

United Kingdom
Heast Janglia
cliveagyoung should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi Guys
If anybody needs a Pit Gofa @ Silverstone I will be there on Sunday as an observer.
Now back out under the car sorting the Frost Damage...what idiot did not use antifreeze last winter.....
Old 20 Apr 2011, 11:46 (Ref:2866917)   #19
911thillclimber
Veteran

911thillclimber should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid911thillclimber should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Looks to have been a great day.
I wanted to go but the wife said no with a certain assertiveness...

Love the look and the spec even as an owner of a T 492, maybe the generation of Sports Racers after the 9S?

Good luck with the series this year and beyond.
Old 20 Apr 2011, 16:33 (Ref:2867055)   #20
eamonn ledwidge
Racer

Ireland
Fyfield, Essex, UK
Clive

You will be most welcome, as help is always needed.

We have 9 declared runners for Silverstone 7/8 May, which includes one new joiner. Please get on with preparation, polishing etc and get in the saddle. We need you racing soonest!

Graham - 911 thillclimber.

Please find a way to slip the leash, come along and join us for one of our meetings. I know you want one of these cars.

Good luck with the new power and torque, find the chassis plate, sell Lola and buy that 9S you have been promising yourself.

Last edited by eamonn ledwidge; 20 Apr 2011 at 16:35. Reason: typo
Old 20 Apr 2011, 17:11 (Ref:2867077)   #21
911thillclimber
Veteran

911thillclimber should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid911thillclimber should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Ha! You have been stalking my thread!!

I saw a 9s for the first time at my Club's hillclimb track, Loton Park.

About 5 years or so ago? What a fab car to say the least, and miles better (I think) than a 23B.
For what the Lola has eventually cost, i could have had a new 9S with a good Duratec, perfect for hillclimbs.

I'm sure I can swing a trip to one of the races, esp Silverstone so if you find an old guy almost inside the chassis that will be me!

I wish the factory would make more of the web pages. I have the nice catalogue and that is a good taster, but more details needed!

Must say I like to strong looking chassis of the Continuation cars. There is one for sale on Piston Heads, orange iirc. The Lola's alum sheet box/monocoque is a worry.

The Force is strong....which she knows all too well.
Old 20 Apr 2011, 19:11 (Ref:2867153)   #22
SAMD
Veteran

SAMD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSAMD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by 911thillclimber View Post
Ha! You have been stalking my thread!!

I saw a 9s for the first time at my Club's hillclimb track, Loton Park.

About 5 years or so ago? What a fab car to say the least, and miles better (I think) than a 23B.
For what the Lola has eventually cost, i could have had a new 9S with a good Duratec, perfect for hillclimbs.

I'm sure I can swing a trip to one of the races, esp Silverstone so if you find an old guy almost inside the chassis that will be me!

I wish the factory would make more of the web pages. I have the nice catalogue and that is a good taster, but more details needed!

Must say I like to strong looking chassis of the Continuation cars. There is one for sale on Piston Heads, orange iirc. The Lola's alum sheet box/monocoque is a worry.

The Force is strong....which she knows all too well.

LOL LOL why dont you just say it like it is! LOL
Old 20 Apr 2011, 19:17 (Ref:2867157)   #23
SAMD
Veteran

SAMD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSAMD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Buy a fit continuation car. That leaves you little to spend, modern mechanics, little to no development costs, and little to no depreciation. Has to be the way to go.
I would bet you will find every owner is a shrewd operator.
Old 20 Apr 2011, 21:23 (Ref:2867231)   #24
911thillclimber
Veteran

I cannot image selling the lola for any reasonable/9S money, but i do like these cars.
I also doubt i would get a Medical MoT pass for circuits but the 9S would be a great climbing car, but tricky to class competativly on the hills.
Sub 2000cc class Sports Lbre is filling with old Mallocks and new Radicals, and one Toyota engined Smart Car (my mates car).

I'm in danger of corrupting this thread so I'll stop!

Be good to get some of the 9S drivers on here to share their ups and downs with these cars.

They are off to SPA no less, bloody hell- what a lap that will be!
Old 21 Apr 2011, 06:29 (Ref:2867342)   #25
eamonn ledwidge
Racer

Ireland
Fyfield, Essex, UK
Spa has been a popular fixture for the 9S owners for quite a few years now and the 10/11/12 June meeting is eagerly anticipated.

Its an opportunity to meet up with 5 or 6 of the Swiss based owners, whom we see just once a year. This year, with the UK based Challenge series running, there is a greater incentive for a big turnout. We are hoping for 9 or 10 UK runners plus a couple for Ireland, including the works car driven by Arnie Black.