Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 7 Aug 2012, 12:06 (Ref:3117074)   #1
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
[iV8SC12R18&19] Sydney Motorsport Park 300, 25-26 Aug

The time has come.. for VESA to slurp up some more humble pie... and wander down to the palace of traction action formerly known as Eastern Creek...

Well its still known as Eastern Creek, as that's the suburb it lives in.. well kinda.. its really Huntingwood.. but that depends which side of the road and bridge you are looking at...

... no wonder they renamed the silly thing...

Anyway...

.. first time back there in a long while.. quite a few sweeping constant radius corners... some hard stops, a couple of awesome places to pass at both high speed and low...

But.. and its a big but... the drivers will probably be busy again introducing themselves to the 3 men and a dog who show up

Back to on track for a mo.. SMP will be a big hit out for the kind of car balance needed for the likes of Phillip Island and Bathurst...

You might imagine that the 888 and FPR operations will go well here... but the SBR units should be good by Sunday afternoon... while its hard to get too excited about too many others...

We shall see...

Will the Doonie boy get up for his local fans? And their dog...
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 7 Aug 2012, 23:13 (Ref:3117338)   #2
Axeman444
Veteran

Australia
Calling a spade a spade...
Axeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAxeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i'll be there and i'm not from Doonie so make it 3 from Doonie, 1 other, and the Doonie dog

will be interesting how T6 goes without the kink right before the 90 degree left. Hopefully create another passing opportunity.
Old 8 Aug 2012, 01:30 (Ref:3117369)   #3
Alan52
Veteran

Australia
Glenmore Park
Alan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAlan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The $60 weekend pass including free pit access is real good value.Anyone attending should be aware of the new entry and parking procedures in place for this event and the Muscle Car Masters.The only gate for public entry is at the back of the circuit near the drag track.There will be no spectator admission gates open on the grandstand side of the track except for those people with the $15 pre purchased parking who go in up towards the kart circuit.Everyone else has to park in the car park at the drag circuit and then catch a shuttle bus to the entry gate which is on the opposite side of the circuit from where most spectators want to be.Sounds like a bit of a logistical nightmare and the $15 parking might be a bargain.
Old 8 Aug 2012, 20:24 (Ref:3117720)   #4
Average Punter
Veteran

Australia
a drug store in Wagga
Average Punter should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAverage Punter should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAverage Punter should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Thanks for the heads up alan52. First trip up there as a spectator this year (been there for drive days before)

Where do we get these $15 pre-paid parking thingies? No mention of it on the SMP website that I can find.
Punters Beer Fest. Indy 02, Clipsal 03, Winton 04, Paperclip 05, Darwin 06, Oran Park 07, Phillip Island 08, Sandown 09, Townsville 10, Symmons 11, Eastern Creek 12, Winton 13. Townsville 14. Paperclip 15, Sandown 16, Symmons 17, PI 18, The Bend 19
Old 9 Aug 2012, 01:02 (Ref:3117764)   #5
Alan52
Veteran

Australia
Glenmore Park
Alan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAlan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Ticketek web site or agency.
Old 9 Aug 2012, 03:44 (Ref:3117786)   #6
FordCosworthPanoz
Veteran

Bermuda
Flatts Village
FordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
Back to on track for a mo.. SMP will be a big hit out for the kind of car balance needed for the likes of Phillip Island and Bathurst...

You might imagine that the 888 and FPR operations will go well here... but the SBR units should be good by Sunday afternoon... while its hard to get too excited about too many others...

We shall see...
Once again, I'm going to make an incredibly shocking prediction that 888 or FPR will win, most likely 888. We all know how incredibly unpredictable V8 Supercars has been this year of course with it's fantastic Blue sticker vs Red Sticker battle is and this race will be no different, but I just have a slight feeling that the winner might be from 888 or FPR.
Old 9 Aug 2012, 03:57 (Ref:3117788)   #7
sizzle
Veteran

Australia
Darwin
sizzle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsizzle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Go Rusty
Old 9 Aug 2012, 04:59 (Ref:3117800)   #8
Axeman444
Veteran

Australia
Calling a spade a spade...
Axeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAxeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
why can't you pre-purchase a Saturday or Sunday ticket only?? I'd get it with the parking if i could.
Old 9 Aug 2012, 05:01 (Ref:3117801)   #9
FordCosworthPanoz
Veteran

Bermuda
Flatts Village
FordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Hopefully they end up with a better turn-out than the last time the series was here.
Old 9 Aug 2012, 09:02 (Ref:3117860)   #10
Shane001
Racer

Australia
Shane001 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by FordCosworthPanoz View Post
Hopefully they end up with a better turn-out than the last time the series was here.
Agreed, but wasn't the last time they ran at EC wet?

Sydneysiders don't like going out in the rain
Old 9 Aug 2012, 10:13 (Ref:3117887)   #11
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane001 View Post
Sydneysiders don't like going out in the rain
Or the dry... or anytime at all really...
Old 12 Aug 2012, 00:45 (Ref:3118836)   #12
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by FordCosworthPanoz View Post
Once again, I'm going to make an incredibly shocking prediction that 888 or FPR will win, most likely 888. We all know how incredibly unpredictable V8 Supercars has been this year of course with it's fantastic Blue sticker vs Red Sticker battle is and this race will be no different, but I just have a slight feeling that the winner might be from 888 or FPR.
Given that we have actually had seasons where a single team or driver has basically dominated, I can't really call this season predictable, both 888 and FPR drivers have won races and poles this year. Granted nobody else has really had a look in but I think its been quite competitive.
Old 12 Aug 2012, 01:59 (Ref:3118846)   #13
FAS33
Veteran

Australia
1st - 6th gear
FAS33 User had had their licence endorsedFAS33 User had had their licence endorsed
Who says the V8's are too similar these days..
Old 12 Aug 2012, 08:15 (Ref:3118895)   #14
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I don't understand why everyone lays the boot into the catagory as a whole when one or two teams are dominating. Why aren't they laying the boot into the teams that aren't bring their A game?

There are a couple of squads that are reportedly 'running the clock out' so to speak, until the COTF comes on board. Hardly worth calling them any sort of competition if that's the case.
Old 12 Aug 2012, 09:33 (Ref:3118907)   #15
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umai Naa View Post
I don't understand why everyone lays the boot into the catagory as a whole when one or two teams are dominating. Why aren't they laying the boot into the teams that aren't bring their A game?

There are a couple of squads that are reportedly 'running the clock out' so to speak, until the COTF comes on board. Hardly worth calling them any sort of competition if that's the case.
Because when they do, the apologists show up and cry about how 'their team' is being victimised...

There are a number of squads who are underperforming...

One who has major expectations of a new brand and new cars and new sponsors and new pilots, yet their on track work this year has been nigh on invisible (except for Happy Jacques...)

The other 4 car team with lots of fans and supporters and a brand name patriarch isnt doing well, with staff changes, new cars, new liveries, and a very tired looking brand name nowhere near the front of the pack.

The single car teams are not on the same page, despite occasional glimmers of speed.. the 2 car rotating sponsor pool team is much talked about, but results and/or consistency isnt showing on the scoreboard... the Albury tail end charlie isnt getting any better, despite hyping the pilot's apparent pedigree...

The other mob looking to change brands next year certainly arent performing at a level that would attract a motor manufacturer... their frog is getting the cars into the fence, into other cars, and lots of time in the pits... but little or no troubling of the scoreboard. Will the sponsor be pleased?

While HRT... needs a pensioner to set up their cars to bring them towards the front. Lots of budget, lots of people, lots of non-success...

The world will all be different next year... but I bet the same mobs will still be banging out the results...
Old 12 Aug 2012, 10:08 (Ref:3118912)   #16
Downoz
Veteran

Australia
Australia
Downoz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Will be interesting to see how far off Mr. Luff time yesterday, 1.25, at the Time Attack that the Supercars will be. Might be wrong but I thought Lowndes did a 29.9 last time they were there, practice day or something, General opinion out there at the weekend that the slight changes to the old track, one being used, will be half a second improvement. The Time attack cars were not on slicks AFAIK.
Old 12 Aug 2012, 10:31 (Ref:3118920)   #17
Micklegend
Veteran

Australia
Canberra
Micklegend should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMicklegend should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan52 View Post
The $60 weekend pass including free pit access is real good value.Anyone attending should be aware of the new entry and parking procedures in place for this event and the Muscle Car Masters.The only gate for public entry is at the back of the circuit near the drag track.There will be no spectator admission gates open on the grandstand side of the track except for those people with the $15 pre purchased parking who go in up towards the kart circuit.Everyone else has to park in the car park at the drag circuit and then catch a shuttle bus to the entry gate which is on the opposite side of the circuit from where most spectators want to be.Sounds like a bit of a logistical nightmare and the $15 parking might be a bargain.
I've got the prepaid parking, so its only on the northside of the track? Was planning to park near the drag strip and get the shuttlebus, given the trip around to the north of the track will probalby take longer...
Old 12 Aug 2012, 12:39 (Ref:3118960)   #18
mtpanorama
Veteran

Australia
Bathurst (best racetrack in the world)
mtpanorama should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I will be there......racing. Improved production is one of the support classes. We have a full grid of 52 cars (47 to race).
We will be set up on the skid pan area. We even have to park our support vehicles over at the dragstrip, so we have to bring everything in on thursday and if we do need something it is along walk out to get it. We are also not allowed to leave the circuit on Sunday between 3:30pm and 6pm, but I will be gone by then as we are finished by 2pm (hopefully I make it to the last race)

I can please only one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow isn't looking good, either
Old 18 Aug 2012, 00:14 (Ref:3121227)   #19
formerf1champ
Veteran

Australia
Vettel's gearbox preparing bench
formerf1champ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umai Naa View Post

You state it like it's easy to do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtpanorama View Post
I will be there......racing. Improved production is one of the support classes. We have a full grid of 52 cars (47 to race).
You haven't qualified yet.
Old 19 Aug 2012, 01:59 (Ref:3121605)   #20
formerf1champ
Veteran

Australia
I'm not sure where to put this, but since it involves Neil Crompton adn Mark Skaife, here it goes for the moment. I was listening to The Stick Shift yesterday. I don't listen to it all the time, but I make an effort to. But I was just wondering, to any of you who also listen to it, when the have that celebrity revhead segment, have they ever had anyone who actually likes motorsport on it?
Old 19 Aug 2012, 03:23 (Ref:3121622)   #21
Shane001
Racer

Australia
Shane001 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by formerf1champ View Post
I'm not sure where to put this, but since it involves Neil Crompton adn Mark Skaife, here it goes for the moment. I was listening to The Stick Shift yesterday. I don't listen to it all the time, but I make an effort to. But I was just wondering, to any of you who also listen to it, when the have that celebrity revhead segment, have they ever had anyone who actually likes motorsport on it?
OK I'll bite, who was on and what was said?
Old 19 Aug 2012, 07:41 (Ref:3121662)   #22
formerf1champ
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane001 View Post
OK I'll bite, who was on and what was said?
I'm not about trolin or baiting anyone. Anyway, they had hte guy who's playing Kerry Packer in that film, he has absolutely no interest in car racing or even cars. I think back to all the other celebrities I've heard on that show (Rucky Ponting, Matty Johns, Nicole Livingstone, Eddie McGuire), not one of them has expressed that they have more than a topical interest interst in motorsport, if that. All they've doen is promote whatver they're promoting. So much so, I think Mark and Neil were even confused the time that Ricky was on, that he knew of Estoril and the DTM (Mika Hakkinen has taken Ricky for a ride in one).
Old 20 Aug 2012, 04:47 (Ref:3121933)   #23
mac
Veteran

mac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I like Eastern Creek as a track to actually go and watch racing cars be driven by racing drivers (much more so than the concrete jungle up the M4 that they will use in December)... A few really cool spots to watch the drivers do their thing, where you can really see the different ways they attack the circuit.

Turn 1 is an obvious spot, but my favourite is to stand on the outside of the entry to Turn 4 (back of the paddock), watch them pop up (and into the air a little bit) over the hill, brake hard on the downslope, then take a variety of different lines through the turn...
Old 20 Aug 2012, 05:31 (Ref:3121945)   #24
billybanana
Veteran

billybanana should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbillybanana should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So I'm driving from the airport. What's the best way to get to the parking out the back of the drag strip ? M4 and turn onto Ferrers Rd ? Or is there a better way altogether ?

I always manage to get lost coming to this joint.
Old 20 Aug 2012, 07:56 (Ref:3121966)   #25
davelise
Racer

Australia
Sydney, Australia
davelise should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What time of day are you leaving the airport? I would go M5/M7 and take the Horsley Road exit.