Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > National & International Single Seaters

Old 23 Jul 2005, 14:09 (Ref:1361491)   #26
Mekola
Veteran

Kiribati
Atlantis
Mekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
RACE 1 RESULTS

1 N. Rosberg (GER) ART 59.30.442
2 A. Premat (FRA) ART +14.6
3 N. Piquet (BRA) HiTech +15.3
4 S. Speed (USA) iSport +15.8
5 H. Kovalainen (FIN) Arden +24.6
6 G. Pantano (ITA) Super Nova +34.5
7 E. Viso (VEN) BCN +35.1
8 B. Garcia (ESP) Racing Eng. +41.3
9 O. Pla (FRA) DPR +41.7
10 N. Lapierre (FRA) Arden +48.0
11 J. Alvarez (ARG) Campos +48.3
12 R. Sharp (GBR) DPR +53.0
13 H. Yoshimoto (JPN) BCN +1:09.0
14 J. Lopez (ARG) DAMS +1 lap
15 M. Lauda (AUT) Coloni +1 lap
Old 23 Jul 2005, 14:11 (Ref:1361492)   #27
Mekola
Veteran

Kiribati
Atlantis
Mekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
BTW, I read that Ryan Sharp could be replaced by Enrico Toccacelo. And Sharp went back to his Jenzer seat at last World Series weekend at Bilbao. What happens with the Scot?
Old 23 Jul 2005, 14:25 (Ref:1361499)   #28
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Mekola - Dave Price has dismissed that report and sas Sharp will stay for the rest of the season.

He drove a strong race today, despite a poor qualifying.

As for the World Series drive - Karun Chandhok had a 3 race ban, so Sharp was helping out his old team, with Dave Price's permission.
Old 23 Jul 2005, 14:49 (Ref:1361504)   #29
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
Good to see Piquet get a podium at last. His mechanical reliability seems to have been worse than most, which is saying something.
Old 23 Jul 2005, 14:50 (Ref:1361505)   #30
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Yes, an encouraging run.

Oh, did I mention Carlton Kirby's commentary was abysmal today?
Old 23 Jul 2005, 15:12 (Ref:1361513)   #31
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
I think that goes without saying! The worst part is when he tries to laugh off his blunders.
Old 23 Jul 2005, 15:22 (Ref:1361515)   #32
Mr Jinxx
Veteran

United Kingdom
Isle of Man
Mr Jinxx should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think Kovalainen is a great driver, and I'm also surprised at Speed's pace too (good surprised, not smack on the nose surprised). I'm also surprised that Rosberg is disppearing into the distance more often than not these days. Sudden apparent domination always surprises me, I suppose. What happened to Adam in the race? Something's going awry with his season, somehow, which is a shame after such a strong start.
Sit in a chair, lift your right leg off the ground, point your toes forward and draw CLOCKWISE circles in the air with your foot. Then raise your right hand and draw the number 6 in the air with your index finger. Your foot will change direction. If you can't even do this simple coordination task, how could you drive a racing car?
Old 23 Jul 2005, 16:29 (Ref:1361548)   #33
jondownunder
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
jondownunder should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjondownunder should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kicking-back
Some good action in this race, but bloody Carlton Kirby is spoiling it with his usual terrible commentary.
I agree, he was even worse than normal today in my opinion, and that's BAD. It really grated with me when Rosberg made his pitstop - Kirby didn't have a clue where Speed was relative to him, when it was obvious Speed would easily take the lead.

EUROSPORT: PLEASE SACK HIM!!!
Old 23 Jul 2005, 16:42 (Ref:1361552)   #34
Kicking-back
Veteran

Yes.

And drivers accellerate, get on the power, get back on the throttle, but they do NOT "juice it up"!!
Old 23 Jul 2005, 16:53 (Ref:1361557)   #35
jondownunder
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
jondownunder should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjondownunder should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kicking-back
Yes.

And drivers accellerate, get on the power, get back on the throttle, but they do NOT "juice it up"!!
Exactly my thoughts! And shouting "nightmare" or "it's hairy out there" every time there's an incident doesn't really count as expert analysis.
Old 23 Jul 2005, 17:23 (Ref:1361568)   #36
Kidzer
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Kidzer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridKidzer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
k-b, ryan raced in the WSBR race because Pilet wasn't going to, not because of Chandok
Old 23 Jul 2005, 19:41 (Ref:1361611)   #37
flexible-flyer
Veteran

Northern Ireland
the british isles/ireland/ze vorrrld
flexible-flyer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
kirby is an absolute idiot. i think martin haven is good when he and gareth rees are doing the comentary but kirby makes james allen seem like the best comentator in the world. mr jinxx asked what happened to carroll, well his engine and oil pressure started sodding up on the formation lap and he pitted before the start, went out then his engine blew. thats more or less what really happened. however if you live in kirbys world, adam carroll started exactly where pantano started, despite the big hole in the grid where carrolls car would have been, he then managed to turn into can artam somewhere between turn 2 and the hairpin...

halfway through the season and kirby still cant tell 1 team from another team, one driver from another driver or his arse from his elbow...

im seriously considering sticking it on mute tomorrow because he literally has no clue whatsoever about whats going on. in any other line of work he would have been sacked around monaco yet here we are in germany still listening to his utter rubbish calling of the events. its like he is comentating on a different race.
Old 23 Jul 2005, 19:49 (Ref:1361619)   #38
ensign14
Veteran

British Antarctic Territory
Deception Island
ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!
He blamed someone - Lapierre? - for an accident when he was nerfed in the back by Fauzy.

Then he confused Carroll with Artam after the latter had spun. (Amazed actually Artam spun, in that he usually never goes fast enough to spin.)
Old 23 Jul 2005, 20:28 (Ref:1361637)   #39
flexible-flyer
Veteran

Northern Ireland
the british isles/ireland/ze vorrrld
flexible-flyer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
kirby simply must step down. if eurosport are not silly enough to get rid of him. maybe i should register over at motors tv and when the dtm is on go on the forums an nicely make it be known to him that he just doesnt cut the mustard.

in dtm i used to think he did an ok job. he seems to know most people in that series yet he still gets things wrong to much and as far as comentating on accidents and incidents he seems to make mountains out of molehills. i remember last year when dumbreck exploded his opel at zandvoort and fair enough, crash of the year and everything and at the time i wasnt really consentrating on kirbys comentary and i probably thought it was a geniune reaction but boy, he was like he had just seen his mother get run over by a train or something. with further knowledge of kirbys comentary i can look back on that and think he is being a little bit over the top...

eurosport, for the love of god- martin haven and gareth rees. they know the people in this series. if during a race, the director decides to show david sears or someone haven will actually identify the person. kirby would say something like 'oh and here is another on of those arty shots hehe, oh err, umm, probably a member of the isport team judging by the blue shirt, err, umm, back to the racing and marko pantano leads as scot sharp makes his pitstop....'

get him out.
Old 23 Jul 2005, 22:50 (Ref:1361730)   #40
Kicking-back
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by flexible-flyer
kirby simply must step down. if eurosport are not silly enough to get rid of him. maybe i should register over at motors tv and when the dtm is on go on the forums an nicely make it be known to him that he just doesnt cut the mustard.

His DTM commentary is woeful too - but if you criticise him on the forum he'll just slag you off on air.
Old 24 Jul 2005, 00:11 (Ref:1361747)   #41
Mr Jinxx
Veteran

United Kingdom
Isle of Man
Maybe Gareth, who certainly does know his onions, could be a little more forceful and frequent in his interjections when the need arises, as both James Hunt and Martin Brundle were with Murray?

I think it would be an interesting experiment if you switched off the commentary on the TV, and then tried to do the entire race commentary as the front man, just for fun ... I bet it would be heliish difficult, because you have to keep talking.
Sit in a chair, lift your right leg off the ground, point your toes forward and draw CLOCKWISE circles in the air with your foot. Then raise your right hand and draw the number 6 in the air with your index finger. Your foot will change direction. If you can't even do this simple coordination task, how could you drive a racing car?
Old 24 Jul 2005, 00:12 (Ref:1361748)   #42
Mr Jinxx
Veteran

United Kingdom
Isle of Man
Thanks for the info on Adam - he'll be fired up tomorrow then
Old 24 Jul 2005, 06:54 (Ref:1361849)   #43
Kicking-back
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Jinxx
I think it would be an interesting experiment if you switched off the commentary on the TV, and then tried to do the entire race commentary as the front man, just for fun ... I bet it would be heliish difficult, because you have to keep talking.

Yes, it is difficult.

But the man is employed as a professional broadcaster and fails to deliver the goods on even the most basic level.

Many of us would be better.

I must get my CV in to Eurosport...
Old 24 Jul 2005, 09:01 (Ref:1361890)   #44
Russfeld
Veteran

Russfeld should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Gareth seems to know his stuff, then again anyone with racing experience should. But he's a pretty uninteresting commentator. He actually manages to override the excitement of watching the cars go around.
Old 24 Jul 2005, 10:00 (Ref:1361922)   #45
ensign14
Veteran

British Antarctic Territory
Deception Island
ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!
Funniest mistake today - "one of the Red Bulls going off, is it Pantano?"...
Old 24 Jul 2005, 11:37 (Ref:1361978)   #46
Kidzer
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Kidzer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridKidzer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
excellent
Old 24 Jul 2005, 13:08 (Ref:1362000)   #47
jondownunder
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
Some Kirby-isms heard today:

"Absolute nightmare!"
"They're getting lairy"
"It's getting lairy"
"He's nailed this one"
"On the drift"
"Over-juice it"
"One of the Repsol boys"

...Idiot.

As Mr Jinxx said, it would be difficult for the average joe to keep talking for a whole race, but a commentator is supposed to be employed for just those skills. Even though I'd be useless, at least I'd make the effort to share my knowledge of drivers, teams, series and circuit history etc etc. Kirby just spouts a load of meaningless, inaccurate nonsense.
Old 24 Jul 2005, 14:21 (Ref:1362048)   #48
Kicking-back
Veteran

Another decent race this morning marred by that absolute buffoon Kirby.

When Pantano locked a tyre, Carlton referred to it as "sparking them up".
Old 24 Jul 2005, 14:35 (Ref:1362052)   #49
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
so what about the actual race then? we've seen enough of you lot getting your handbags out...
Old 24 Jul 2005, 15:06 (Ref:1362062)   #50
jondownunder
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
Didn't notice it to be honest, too busy shouting at the TV

But seriously, a slightly better race than yesterday, but still not too exciting. I really don't like the reverse grid situation - Pla was going to start 9th today, but thanks to Viso's DSQ, Pla moves up to 8th in race 1 - hey presto, pole for race 2! Reverse grids may be tolerable in something like BTCC, but this is a serious feeder series and it's obvious in single seaters that grid position largely decides the race. Why award mediocre performances, while penalising the race 1 winner? Sure, it makes things interesting, but it devalues the championship in my eyes.