Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Old 30 Dec 2020, 11:14 (Ref:4025804)   #1
The SpeCTator
Veteran

United Kingdom
South East - England
The SpeCTator should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
FORD CORSAIR V8

The thread on the Berpop bought back memories. I was desperate to see the Berpop but only saw it once when it came to Brands. Wonderful!

The other V8 I really wanted to see was a red V8 Ford Corsair.

I was probably around 15 at the time and had made my way to Brands as Motoring News had said it would be there.

Sadly it was a February meeting I seem to recall and i got to see the car on track in practice and in the paddock but by mid morning the snow came and that was the end of the day.
Such a disappointment. I never saw the car again.

Can anyone remind me of the driver and any details of the car?
Old 31 Dec 2020, 08:26 (Ref:4025985)   #2
rbs
Veteran

England
northampton
rbs should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrbs should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by The SpeCTator View Post
The thread on the Berpop bought back memories. I was desperate to see the Berpop but only saw it once when it came to Brands. Wonderful!

The other V8 I really wanted to see was a red V8 Ford Corsair.

I was probably around 15 at the time and had made my way to Brands as Motoring News had said it would be there.

Sadly it was a February meeting I seem to recall and i got to see the car on track in practice and in the paddock but by mid morning the snow came and that was the end of the day.
Such a disappointment. I never saw the car again.

Can anyone remind me of the driver and any details of the car?
Martin Maudling was the driver.
Old 31 Dec 2020, 12:48 (Ref:4026044)   #3
morninggents
Veteran

England
Up north, near York.
morninggents should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Martin Maudling raced an Anglia in the mid and late 1960s He came up north to race at Rufforth once.
I never knew he had a V8 Corsair - do you have any dates or details?

I believe he was the son of a cabinet minister. Reginald (?) Maudling.
Old 31 Dec 2020, 13:59 (Ref:4026065)   #4
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by morninggents View Post
Martin Maudling raced an Anglia in the mid and late 1960s He came up north to race at Rufforth once.
I never knew he had a V8 Corsair - do you have any dates or details?

I believe he was the son of a cabinet minister. Reginald (?) Maudling.
Yes he was, I used to go to all those 60s clubbies at Brands and remember seeing him, unfortunately he was one of those "all the gear no idea" merchants IMHO. I wonder if he reads 10/10ths
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 31 Dec 2020, 14:05 (Ref:4026066)   #5
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
The car gets a mention in this Motor Sport Mag "Monster Revving Loonies" article:
https://www.motorsportmagazine.com/a...evving-loonies

Pic of the car at Aintree c 1968.

http://www.modbase.info/fraud-cortinas/4591314702
Old 31 Dec 2020, 14:50 (Ref:4026075)   #6
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I do indeed remember Martin Maudling & his V8 Corsair as he raced it at Snetterton occasionally.

I have got one or two photos of it but have never managed to post pictures on here!
Old 31 Dec 2020, 16:31 (Ref:4026090)   #7
The SpeCTator
Veteran

United Kingdom
South East - England
The SpeCTator should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GORDON STREETER View Post
Yes he was, I used to go to all those 60s clubbies at Brands and remember seeing him, unfortunately he was one of those "all the gear no idea" merchants IMHO. I wonder if he reads 10/10ths
I can recall Martin Maudling in his Anglia take out Richard Sandilands at the top of Paddock Bend. A massive impact with the marshal post which stuck out towards the track in those days. I think Richard was injured.

I believe Martin had his licence was taken away for a while.
Old 1 Jan 2021, 11:45 (Ref:4026258)   #8
Alan Brown
Racer

Alan Brown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Chris,

According to my notes the Corsair V8 4.7 was built by Alan + Steve Peer (East Anglian Racers) and raced 1966-67. Sold to Martin Maudling in 1968.

I also have a note that Jon Mowatt (Corsair 7.0) non-started due to scrutineering problems at Boxing Day Brands Hatch 1968. Same car?
Old 1 Jan 2021, 13:28 (Ref:4026274)   #9
morninggents
Veteran

England
Up north, near York.
I had East Anglian Racing Team at the back of my mind when I made my previous post but couldn't find any reference.
Old 1 Jan 2021, 15:52 (Ref:4026292)   #10
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Quote:
I had East Anglian Racing Team at the back of my mind when I made my previous post but couldn't find any reference.
Yes EART built some very quick Anglia's. Len Dixon was involved with them before he started Leda suspension.
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 1 Jan 2021, 16:47 (Ref:4026298)   #11
Alan Brown
Racer

Alan Brown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
https://tentenths.com/forum/showthre...=118780&page=4

See post 52 for some details of the Anglias of EART.
Old 1 Jan 2021, 19:04 (Ref:4026327)   #12
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
The engineering of EART was overseen by Bert Avard, who ran a really good ship. His cars were always beautifully prepared, and were always difficult to beat. They were moments of real pleasure and some amount of pride if you could better them.

When I knew them, Bert was based at Boreham, and whenever they raced, the car was towed by a Transit (I think) that was stacked to the gunnels with every conceivable part that you might need. Bert very kindly donated packs of Autolite competition spark plugs (I had been using Champion A5's - he called them tractor plugs), and he gave me so many that I never had to buy any for the next 5 years.

He also came to my rescue at Snetterton when I snapped all but one of the flywheel bolts whilst getting pole one Sunday. He sent a couple of his lads over to help mine as they removed the gear box and replaced the bolts with special bolts (( had never seen any like them before - splined top, with Allan key) that were made specifically for Boreham. Again, he gave me enough that I didn't need to buy any for some time. This help provided me with my first overall win.

Bert was a lovely man, and Roger Taylor was a nice bloke. I am surprised to read on this (or the other thread) that he was an engineer at Ford, because, from my memory, Bert wouldn't let Roger touch the car except for driving it; his main responsibility was to bring the keys to the car, which he didn't always remember. My mechanic had to lend them a key a couple of times so that they could get the car off the trailer because Roger had forgotten to bring the key.
Old 2 Jan 2021, 19:15 (Ref:4026481)   #13
mab01UK
Veteran

mab01UK should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmab01UK should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmab01UK should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmab01UK should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Elwin View Post
I do indeed remember Martin Maudling & his V8 Corsair as he raced it at Snetterton occasionally.

I have got one or two photos of it but have never managed to post pictures on here!

Create a free account and log in for Imgur (see link below). Then simply drag your photo onto the Imgur page which will become your personal photo library, then click on photo once uploaded and paste the 'image code' given for 'forums' of your photo into your post on TenTenths. The image should then appear when you preview your post and finally submit post.
https://imgur.com/
Old 4 Jan 2021, 18:58 (Ref:4026784)   #14
Dipster
Rookie

Dipster should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GORDON STREETER View Post
I too was a Brands regular and remember Maudling. I agree with Gordon on his abilities. Whilst I may be wrong I do not remember him ever shining. Sorry Mr Maudling........
Old 5 Jan 2021, 04:37 (Ref:4026881)   #15
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by mab01UK View Post
Create a free account and log in for Imgur (see link below). Then simply drag your photo onto the Imgur page which will become your personal photo library, then click on photo once uploaded and paste the 'image code' given for 'forums' of your photo into your post on TenTenths. The image should then appear when you preview your post and finally submit post.
https://imgur.com/
@John Elwin....

Or simply click the post reply box (ie not the quick reply) look below the posting area and click on manage attachment... that will in turn open a browse your computer for a file type box with have a dozen choose file/browse options.. Choose your photo You can post up to 6 photos per post in this way. When you have chosen your files from your computer click the "upload photos" box and voila job is done.

If I can do it anyone can.

Chris.

(Of course if the photos are in an album/box and not on your computer that is another problem!)
Old 5 Jan 2021, 09:52 (Ref:4026910)   #16
morninggents
Veteran

England
Up north, near York.
Quote:

It was in July 1967 at Croft, not Rufforth. He came third in his Anglia but did beat Brian Robinson in an ex-Team Lotus works Lotus Cortina, so not a bad result.
Old 5 Jan 2021, 13:34 (Ref:4026964)   #17
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Quote:
It was in July 1967 at Croft, not Rufforth. He came third in his Anglia but did beat Brian Robinson in an ex-Team Lotus works Lotus Cortina, so not a bad result.
Perhaps a plug lead came off of the Tina
Old 8 Jan 2021, 13:00 (Ref:4027645)   #18
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.B View Post
@John Elwin....

Or simply click the post reply box (ie not the quick reply) look below the posting area and click on manage attachment... that will in turn open a browse your computer for a file type box with have a dozen choose file/browse options.. Choose your photo You can post up to 6 photos per post in this way. When you have chosen your files from your computer click the "upload photos" box and voila job is done.

If I can do it anyone can.

Chris.

(Of course if the photos are in an album/box and not on your computer that is another problem!)
Thanks E.B. It's not possible at the moment but perhaps when I have got my new laptop sorted I'll give it a go.
Old 8 Jan 2021, 13:10 (Ref:4027650)   #19
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Thanks E.B. It's not possible at the moment but perhaps when I have got my new laptop sorted I'll give it a go.

John, an alternative could be to email photos to one of us - I would be a willing recipient - and we would post them for you. I think that Bob has done that in the past, as well.
Old 8 Jan 2021, 13:18 (Ref:4027653)   #20
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
John, an alternative could be to email photos to one of us - I would be a willing recipient - and we would post them for you. I think that Bob has done that in the past, as well.
Thanks - but that is part of the problem! My old PC for some reason is mostly refusing to send emails with attachments.
Old 8 Jan 2021, 13:23 (Ref:4027655)   #21
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Quote:
Thanks - but that is part of the problem! My old PC for some reason is mostly refusing to send emails with attachments.

Ah, no problem. Hope you can get sorted.