Home Mobile Forum News Cookbook FaceBook Us T-Shirts etc.: Europe/Worldwide. eBay Motorsport Links Advertising  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 10 Jul 2018, 18:39 (Ref:3835931)   #331
FormulaFox
Veteran

United States
Ohio
FormulaFox is heading for a stewards' enquiry!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maelochs View Post
or ... they knew all along that the racing business is politics, and they figured that if they whined loud and long enough they'd get their ways later.

Not likely considering who's writing the checks.
Old 10 Jul 2018, 18:49 (Ref:3835934)   #332
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJHamilton will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJHamilton will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJHamilton will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJHamilton will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJHamilton will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJHamilton will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJHamilton will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJHamilton will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJHamilton will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJHamilton will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Tim Cindric has already "complained" publically earlier this year.
Old 10 Jul 2018, 23:42 (Ref:3835980)   #333
FormulaFox
Veteran

United States
Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHamilton View Post
Tim Cindric has already "complained" publically earlier this year.

Oh, they'll COMPLAIN in the hopes of getting favorable BoP, but they knew what things were going into it so it's nothing more than playing the previously-referred political game. Being okay with a system does not mean they aren't going to try and game it to get an advantage.
Old 11 Jul 2018, 01:23 (Ref:3835984)   #334
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famejoeb will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famejoeb will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famejoeb will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famejoeb will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famejoeb will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famejoeb will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famejoeb will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famejoeb will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famejoeb will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by FormulaFox View Post
Oh, they'll COMPLAIN in the hopes of getting favorable BoP, but they knew what things were going into it so it's nothing more than playing the previously-referred political game. Being okay with a system does not mean they aren't going to try and game it to get an advantage.
I don't think the reference was to complaining about bop levels, but instead about having to have bop against slower cars in the first place. As in, they want their own class.
Old 11 Jul 2018, 05:21 (Ref:3835995)   #335
FormulaFox
Veteran

United States
Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeb View Post
I don't think the reference was to complaining about bop levels, but instead about having to have bop against slower cars in the first place. As in, they want their own class.

That distinction is pretty irrelevant to the point, to be honest. They still knew how it was going to be when they started the program, after all.
Old 11 Jul 2018, 12:54 (Ref:3836047)   #336
Bcarr6
Veteran

Bcarr6 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBcarr6 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by FormulaFox View Post
As has been noted before, they knew this was going to be the case going into it. It's little presumptive to say that they'll be peeved about something they were aware of from the start.

If they weren't okay with it, there'd have been no program to begin with.
Its not like this has ever been an open formula. They knew it was going to be BOP'd based off the global P2 platform
Old 11 Jul 2018, 14:14 (Ref:3836066)   #337
MaskedRacer
Veteran

MaskedRacer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMaskedRacer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Well if the idea to split DPI and LMP2 is on the table still, one thing nobody has mentioned is that they could be split in scheduling too. LMP2 could be left out of races such as Long Beach or something else where DPI still races at.
Old 12 Jul 2018, 08:19 (Ref:3836227)   #338
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new lap record!TF110 is going for a new lap record!TF110 is going for a new lap record!TF110 is going for a new lap record!TF110 is going for a new lap record!TF110 is going for a new lap record!
The argument works both ways for the dpi teams. Sure they entered knowing that the lmp2's were the pace to be bop'd by. They can also say that the dpi's should be able to go faster than now because they are actually slower than lmp2. And if imsa knows who is propping them up, they should probably listen to them. If GM says they think they should separate the classes and then Acura agrees, it's hard to argue with them since they provide a lot of the advertising and are big partners. Lmp2 teams not so much.
Old 12 Jul 2018, 14:25 (Ref:3836297)   #339
TheMightyM
Veteran

TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!
Not exactly sure whether to put this, but it’s too important not to share in the sport car section as Sonoma is a track that a lot of people think should return to the IMSA schedule.

Indycar has a spot to fill on its 2019 schedule and one possibility is racing at both Sonoma and Laguna Seca. Marshall Pruett has a piece asking “Can two Bay Area Indy Car events thrive?” The short answer is “no.” Bookmark this story because you might want to pull out the quotes and use them later. Some samples (there's more good stuff in the story):

Marshall Pruett on the local market:

Quote:
Having listened to the local radio ads, watched TV commercials, and seen all manner of online advertising for the aforementioned IndyCar and sports car events [at Sonoma and Laguna Seca respectively], it’s possible those series are actually capturing a high percentage of fans who are interested in what they’re offering. As much as I’d like to believe there’s a great untapped audience to grab, or a large contingent of lapsed fans waiting to fall in love with road racing again, I just haven’t seen evidence of it locally.
From Sports Car Racing Association of the Monterey Peninsula (SCRAMP) CEO Tim McGrane, who runs WeatherTech Raceway Laguna Seca:

Quote:
“There are only so many people who are rabid fans of a particular race series that have the time and money to spend on attending events. I don’t think this market would support two major [IndyCar] events. Any numbers that are taken away because fans have two choices in the same arena is certainly one path I wouldn’t choose to go down.”
And from Sonoma Raceway president Steve Page:

Quote:
“[Holding dual events] would absolutely not thrive. Neither event, at least by the second year, would be as large as our event is currently, either from fan support or corporate support. You’d end up with two smaller events. I can’t see how that would be in IndyCar’s interest.”
So for the sustainability of holding IMSA events again at both tracks again, see the above quotes from Page and McGrane and simply replace “IndyCar” with “IMSA.”
Old 13 Jul 2018, 06:00 (Ref:3836432)   #340
TheMightyM
Veteran

TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!
Belle Isle proposal for 2019 and beyond comes out today.

Story from the Detroit News is here.

Story from the Detroit Free Press is here.
Old 13 Jul 2018, 18:55 (Ref:3836517)   #341
schmidder
Racer

United States
Folsom, CA
schmidder should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think it could work if they were at different times of the year. If Sonoma imsa race was around long beach in spring and bbn laguna in late summer, I think it would be big enough at both. Or maybe I'm just a dreamer who lives 90 miles from one and 180 from the other!!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Old 13 Jul 2018, 19:52 (Ref:3836535)   #342
MaskedRacer
Veteran

MaskedRacer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMaskedRacer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by schmidder View Post
I think it could work if they were at different times of the year. If Sonoma imsa race was around long beach in spring and bbn laguna in late summer, I think it would be big enough at both. Or maybe I'm just a dreamer who lives 90 miles from one and 180 from the other!!

Travel costs is going to be an issue. Especially for the GTD teams. I think Laguna should be removed from the GTD schedule to allow the to stay east for the whole season. You still get GT3 racing out west from PWC and the Laguna Seca 8 hours.

I also like the idea of the Daytona 24 being a non points optional race for GTD.
Old 14 Jul 2018, 03:08 (Ref:3836592)   #343
schmidder
Racer

United States
Folsom, CA
schmidder should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
PwC not in northern California this year. Portland this week. Not with IndyCar at Sonoma and the California 8hr is on shaky ground. Advertised as PwC weekend, but is really not. They finish back east at the glen I believe this year. Good luck seeing very many teams at Laguna for the intercontinental gt..

The imsa teams already come to the west coast twice each year, not sure how heading up to laguna or Sonoma after long beach really adds much, as the come back in Sept anyway...

Old 14 Jul 2018, 07:46 (Ref:3836606)   #344
TzeiTzei
Veteran

Finland
TzeiTzei should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTzeiTzei should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTzeiTzei should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I wouldn't split the prototype class. I think it works fine. We have nice mix of different cars and teams that over the course of the year each have their chances to win some races. I don't know what the DPi teams might be complaining about because the whole class is based on BoP. And LMP2 is the performance benchmark. And like to see some euro teams come and play. It spices things up a bit.
Old 16 Jul 2018, 17:25 (Ref:3836954)   #345
EffectiveSprinkles
Veteran

EffectiveSprinkles User had had their licence endorsedEffectiveSprinkles User had had their licence endorsed
Looks like ESM is out for next year.