Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > National & International Single Seaters

Old 3 Jul 2008, 03:31 (Ref:2242763)   #1
Kiwi3
Veteran

New Zealand
Beijing
Kiwi3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridKiwi3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
IRL: I for India not Indy

The team behind the Indian A1GP franchise are looking at buying existing hardware for a new Indian racing league. Looks ambitious, although a bit surprised they are not calling it A2GP as it doesn't really fit with A1GP's vision.

They are talking to airport authorities, not sure that's a good move considering airport circuits are flat and boring, and not great for spectators.

Also wonder what depth of talent there is in India to support this at this stage, but I guess you've got to start somewhere.

http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/...ow/3185995.cms
Old 3 Jul 2008, 06:49 (Ref:2242822)   #2
Asa
Veteran

Hong Kong
Disneyland
Asa should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think they will need a proper circuit to get everything together. Drivers and teams need to test and sponsors need to be entertained. They don't need a Tilke circuit just a circuit with all the facilities.

Narain Karthikeyan cited Malaysia as an example, well, Malaysia has Sepang as a base to get everything together.
Old 3 Jul 2008, 20:36 (Ref:2243341)   #3
johntt
Veteran

England
England
johntt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
With a GP track on the horizon they will have their 'Sepang' as a base.

The idea of using airports is a good one for a country like India which lacks permanent facilities (etracksonline has two permament circuits listed) and I wouldn't write them off as boring and bad for spectators, look at Cleveland and Toronto .

Sebring in the USA and Silverstone, Thruxton and Snetterton here in the UK that had their origins in WW2 airfields and they produce some great racing and have stood the test of time.
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit.' And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." -Ayrton Senna
Old 7 Jul 2008, 15:52 (Ref:2246453)   #4
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Well it would be sensible for them to run a spec chassis as a base for a series and perhaps not too powerful engines if a load of relative novices are going to be unleashed. That rules out the redundant Panoz Champ Cars then, unless they run them without the Cosworths!

I'd suggest the old V6 Formula Renaults that ran in Asia and the US, ot even the mark 1 Dallara WSR cars, once GP2 Asia has finished with them.
Old 8 Jul 2008, 10:05 (Ref:2246985)   #5
Lam Pak
Veteran

Lam Pak has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
today racecars in india are really dead and once followed, but always led to better things. a1 team india boss thought he’d rise above it all. lets see. formula rolon is a big thing in india but the quality of the car and the drivers is low profile. mr selgah is trying to judge and to be judged. mr mallay is new king in india racing and he has accept. its triumph and despair or wish and realization.

the old v6 formula renaults were a good idea cause they were the school of chandhok the new indian hero of racing cars. ebrahim is doing maximum in india so it would be cool but maybe too expensive for indians drivers. the car needs foreigner engineers and cost of running is high. the youngers would follow but they need sponsors and indian sponsor are looking for racing cars?
Old 13 Jul 2008, 15:48 (Ref:2250184)   #6
Pete Fenelon
Racer

Pete Fenelon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Having visited India last year, there is a real interest international in motor sport, at least as far as engineers working in Western companies in Bangalore are concerned.

I'd say they were general sports fans, not racing nutcases, but they knew about Narain Karthikeyan and his F1 career, they knew about Karun Chandok, they knew a fair bit about A1GP.

The interest and awareness of the international scene is there, and Vijay Mallya's exploits can only be helping that. There used to be some F3 "Grands Prix" in India a while back, I'm sure there could be a revival at least on that level focussing on local talent with a route into GP2 Asia...

I'd love to see India and China properly represented in international motorsport - there is sufficient engineering potential there and I'm sure the driving talent will develop if the infrastructure (and in China, the political will?!) is there.