Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 14 Jun 2010, 18:20 (Ref:2712103)   #1
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
2011 calendar

IndyCar and probably all Road to Indy support series will race the Baltimore Grand Prix on August 5-7. Race bosses want to add the American Le Mans Series to the programme.

Mid-Ohio is in danger, so Cleveland may have its turn:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy the Bear's Poop 168
The American Le Mans Series could lose its Mid-Ohio round next season. Murphy previously heard the sale of the track is possible – there have been discussions, and a price has been named – and recently when directly asked, the IRL’s boss was non-committal about a return. That might mean the Honda company picnic is headed for the dustbin.
Old 14 Jun 2010, 22:11 (Ref:2712258)   #2
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Scott Atherton didn't seem to happy when the LeMans test day was announced. Especially if it is a month before the race, it will make it hard for alms teams to compete.
Old 6 Aug 2010, 14:07 (Ref:2740398)   #3
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
According to Autosport, Oklahoma ("likely " on Independence Day) and Baltimore (early August) are "set to join". The latter "is expected to replace" historic Lime Rock Park.

Interesting quotes by the stuffed animal:
o- "Mosport will stay a sprint race as long as the Tundra Monkeys keep turning up in profitable numbers for a sprint."
o- "[On Utah:] There are just as many rumors that it will become the next 6-hour enduro. Teams don’t like it, fans don’t like it. What the hell are you going to do with yourself in this sun-baked wasteland for six hours?"
o- "Road America. Gone." Nascar won.
o- "Sonoma. The rumors have gone quiet. Best guess is it’s off."
Old 6 Aug 2010, 14:22 (Ref:2740401)   #4
Acid09
Veteran

Germany
Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!
I never understood the fascination with Miller Motorsports Park, the track is in the middle of nowhere and it looks boring even on TV.

My least favorite ALMS round by far.. sad to see Lime Rock go though.
Old 6 Aug 2010, 15:06 (Ref:2740434)   #5
Subaru_WRX_STi
Veteran

Tunisia
Ariana, Tunisia
Subaru_WRX_STi has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
if the ALMS lose Mid-Ohio and Road America it will be big shame, love these 2 tracks ! as for Sears Point, better stay away from that track really boring
Old 6 Aug 2010, 15:19 (Ref:2740449)   #6
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
With Long Beach and Laguna Seca, California has enough ALMS races. Sears Point is worse than both.

Losing Road America would be an immense tragedy. But Mid-Ohio doesn't really suit LMPs, it's too tight and narrow for them. How about an IndyCar / ALMS Grand Prix of Cleveland for 2012?
Old 6 Aug 2010, 17:03 (Ref:2740511)   #7
xlr8r
Racer

United States
Boston, Massachusetts
xlr8r should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Way to go ALMS, you've just lost all of your fans in the northeast if its true Lime Rock is off the schedule. This series really is headed for the toilet.
Old 6 Aug 2010, 17:32 (Ref:2740524)   #8
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by xlr8r View Post
Way to go ALMS, you've just lost all of your fans in the northeast if its true Lime Rock is off the schedule. This series really is headed for the toilet.
Usually the series announces its schedule right before or during Petit, so I wouldn't count Lime Rock as gone until we see it. Plus there seemed to be good attendance for this years event.
Old 6 Aug 2010, 17:51 (Ref:2740534)   #9
johntt
Veteran

England
England
johntt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaBUru38 View Post
According to Autosport, Oklahoma ("likely " on Independence Day) and Baltimore (early August) are "set to join". The latter "is expected to replace" historic Lime Rock Park.

Interesting quotes by the stuffed animal:
o- "Mosport will stay a sprint race as long as the Tundra Monkeys keep turning up in profitable numbers for a sprint."
o- "[On Utah:] There are just as many rumors that it will become the next 6-hour enduro. Teams don’t like it, fans don’t like it. What the hell are you going to do with yourself in this sun-baked wasteland for six hours?"
o- "Road America. Gone." Nascar won.
o- "Sonoma. The rumors have gone quiet. Best guess is it’s off."
I wouldn't trust the bear on anything.
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit.' And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." -Ayrton Senna
Old 6 Aug 2010, 20:34 (Ref:2740628)   #10
Zurbert82
Veteran

United States
Pittsburgh
Zurbert82 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
With Long Beach and Laguna Seca, California has enough ALMS races. Sears Point is worse than both.

Losing Road America would be an immense tragedy. But Mid-Ohio doesn't really suit LMPs, it's too tight and narrow for them. How about an IndyCar / ALMS Grand Prix of Cleveland for 2012?
Mid Ohio is narrow? I just watched qualifying and the track looks significantly wider than Lime Rock, just my observation.
Old 6 Aug 2010, 22:00 (Ref:2740687)   #11
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
Zurbert, Lime Rock is jsut ridiculously narrow. I've never seen any footage of that track, but I did watch CART races at Mid-Ohio live on television a decade ago (will do again this weekend) and it's not the prefect place for an LMP. They were developed for Le Mans, Sebring, Spa and Silverstone, all of them fast tracks.
Old 6 Aug 2010, 23:09 (Ref:2740727)   #12
dj4monie
Veteran

United States
Reseda, California
dj4monie is heading for a stewards' enquiry!
Quote:
Zurbert, Lime Rock is jsut ridiculously narrow. I've never seen any footage of that track, but I did watch CART races at Mid-Ohio live on television a decade ago (will do again this weekend) and it's not the prefect place for an LMP. They were developed for Le Mans, Sebring, Spa and Silverstone, all of them fast tracks.
Eh? All the Wirth designed car are engineered and designed for US tracks and the ALMS. They made some aero changes to the cars to allow them to be competitive at longer European tracks (See Strakka).

The Porsche was built mostly for the US market, again for US tracks which require downforce.

The Audi's have been adjusted WELL to US tracks, it really has nothing to do with what the cars are designed for. Stock Cars rumble around Watkins Glen pretty well and if you asked any of the drivers they would love, lower ride height, wider tires and larger brakes, power (800-900hp) is NOT the issue.
Old 7 Aug 2010, 02:56 (Ref:2740752)   #13
Birddog07
Racer

United States
Pittsburgh
Birddog07 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Damn if these rumurs are true then it would be a real shame. Best tracks around use public roads, but concrete jungles are usually always a bore. Wish they'd team up with IndyCar for the Alabama race, beautiful track just needs the chicane in the backstraight removed. NASCRAP needs to stop taking our tracks, stay with your boring left hand only ovals. Are they maybe finally realizing that racing is better on a real track and branching the series out? I'd love to see a race in Montreal, but GA and NASCRAP yet again use that. Damn, think about a race there with F1? Miller Motorsports park is rubbish. Sears Point I like, would love to see it return. Great memories of the Panoz and Audi's battling for the overall with Porsches and BMW's in GT2, GT1 was still healthy aswell. If this new USGP track ever gets built then it could potentially be a good track, with it's 'green' image hopefully they won't flatten all the terrain, cut down all the trees, and pave over acres of grass for runoff and the track will be alright. Also another little tidbit I'd like to toss in, all road races should be minimum 3h and street courses 2h sprints.
Old 7 Aug 2010, 13:14 (Ref:2740929)   #14
trahsub
Racer

United States
Long Island, NY
trahsub should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Birddog07 View Post
If this new USGP track ever gets built then it could potentially be a good track, with it's 'green' image hopefully they won't flatten all the terrain, cut down all the trees, and pave over acres of grass for runoff and the track will be alright. Also another little tidbit I'd like to toss in, all road races should be minimum 3h and street courses 2h sprints.
Tough call. Seems the more recent F1 tracks look cool, but are not necessarily a good track for close racing. Also, I worry that a track built for screaming F1 cars will not be as exciting with slower cars. . .
Old 7 Aug 2010, 13:37 (Ref:2740937)   #15
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I'd take another ALMS race close to home (BARBER), but I'd prefer them stick with Road America and make it a 500 mile race. Unfortunately, I live in the past sometimes and it SEEMS unlikely they will return; I hope the bear is wrong about this one. I'd take Cleveland or something with some character and excitement.

And as for the lengths; mix it up. Do some 1000K races or other "length" races mixed in with some timed races. 6 hours at LS was awesome...give us more of that!!

I hate the fact that Miller sucks, too.
Old 7 Aug 2010, 15:27 (Ref:2740971)   #16
Subaru_WRX_STi
Veteran

Tunisia
Ariana, Tunisia
Lime Rock is good, just remove those foolish 2 chicanes, really dangerous and a lot of crashes there
Old 8 Aug 2010, 04:59 (Ref:2741240)   #17
dj4monie
Veteran

United States
Reseda, California
Loosing Lime Rock will be a blow but this will be the choice of the series (and teams), not the track. The changes made to the track were largely to keep ALMS there. You could have left the track alone for Grand Am, that should tell you plenty about the performance of DP's, even going forward.

Mid Ohio had a good turnout again, though the back-straight main stand was about 1/2 full, but plenty of spectators around the circuit. I suspect Indy Car will draw higher tomorrow. Make any excuse you want, but I think not having the factories presents in the series hurts.

The rumor (from the Stuffed One) says Mid Ohio's new owners are unlikely to bring the series back. Now having said what I did earlier, its likely the sanction fees are the problem.

Mid-Ohio is a fan favorite, so will they do what needed to keep it on the schedule?

The Bear also reports Road America is happy with its connections to NASCAR and largely ignored part of the country by NASCAR. I also said someplace else, I think it was the Speed forums, that RA management shouldn't be lured in by its big fan turnout for this year's Nationwide race. By year three turnout in Mexico was down 50%....

So I'm taking any discussion of the ALMS schedule seriously.

My Proposed 2011 Schedule -
  • Sebring 12 Hours (Apart of the Intercontinental Cup)
  • St Petersberg, FL (Round 1 of ALMS Regular Season)
  • Long Beach Grand Prix
  • Laguna Seca 6 Hours
  • Le Mans Test and Race Break
  • Larry H. Miller Dealerships Grand Prix, Utah
  • Lime Rock (Despite compliants from a few drivers)
  • Baltimore Street Circuit*
  • Mid Ohio Sports Car Course
  • Road America
  • Sears Point*
  • Petit Le Mans (Apart of The Intercontinental Cup)

*New for 2011
Old 8 Aug 2010, 08:21 (Ref:2741266)   #18
Mosport Fan
Rookie

Canada
Sydney Australia, formerly Canada
Mosport Fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Leaving Mosport (the third most popular stop on the calendar) off the schedule? Pretty bold thought if you ask me.....
Old 8 Aug 2010, 10:02 (Ref:2741289)   #19
Subaru_WRX_STi
Veteran

Tunisia
Ariana, Tunisia
here my prefered and fantasy one ^^

R01 - Sebring 12H
R02 - Long Beach
R03 - Laguna Seca 6H
Le Mans Break
R04 - Portland (love that track !)
R05 - Utah
R06 - Mid-Ohio
R07 - Road America
R08 - Mosport
R09 - Edmonton
R10 - Mont Tremblant
R11 - Lime Rock
R12 - Petit Le Mans
Old 8 Aug 2010, 11:29 (Ref:2741321)   #20
Birddog07
Racer

United States
Pittsburgh
Mont Tremblant! Wish they would race there. Edmonton is another, the track is nice and wide for traffic with tight twistie bumpy bits could even have some real good racing battles. Reminds me of Canada's mini-Sebring in some ways. VIR has been mentioned in here and I think that would be a pretty nice track to race.
Old 8 Aug 2010, 11:55 (Ref:2741333)   #21
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
Having three races in California? That's even bolder.
Old 8 Aug 2010, 13:37 (Ref:2741351)   #22
Birddog07
Racer

United States
Pittsburgh
California is a big market for the manufactuers. Hell, Ferrari named a car after the state. Part of why I think the ALMS will want a race in Austin if the F1 track ever gets built, decent market for the manufactuers.

My calendar:
-Winter Sebring Test-
R1 Sebring 12h
R2 Barber 3h
R3 Laguna 6h
-Le Mans Break-
R4 Watkins Glen 6h
R5 Austin 3h
R6 Mid-Ohio 3h
R7 Road America 6h
R8 Mosport 3h
R9 Sears Point 3h
R10 Portland 3h
R11 Mont Tremblant 3h
R12 Petit Le Mans 10h

Obviously a huge dream, but if the series can generate enough interest from manufactuers (GT2 teams, LMP2 engines, GTC/3 customer cars) then the growth could happen and the series return to it's year 2000 glory. I'd really like to see Long Beach go, but like I said it is a big market so can't forsee it leaving.
Old 9 Aug 2010, 06:00 (Ref:2741722)   #23
dj4monie
Veteran

United States
Reseda, California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosport Fan View Post
Leaving Mosport (the third most popular stop on the calendar) off the schedule? Pretty bold thought if you ask me.....
I forgot!
Old 9 Aug 2010, 07:17 (Ref:2741732)   #24
dj4monie
Veteran

United States
Reseda, California
Somebody should but a disclaimer on this thread before it turns into a "dream schedule" thread.

My revised 2011 Schedule -
  • Sebring 12 Hours
  • St Petersburg GP
  • Long Beach GP
  • Laguna Seca 6 Hours
  • Le Mans Break
  • Larry H. Miller Dealers GP (Utah)
  • Lime Rock
  • Mid Ohio
  • Balitmoire GP*
  • Road America
  • Mosport
  • Sears Point*
  • Petit Le Mans

Murphy Reports Baltimore is a done deal for the most part.
Murphy Reports talk of Sears Point return has gone quiet but I feel its likely
Miller Reports Indy Car is returning back to Mid-Ohio, is ALMS?

Other things likely to happen, Road America will return back to 500 Mile format (4.5 hours), easiest thing to do.

I don't see another track that would do an extended race. I say Mosport is a perfect situation for a longer event, but Murphy seems to think otherwise, I don't know why, one of the best attended races, you mean to tell me their attention span isn't long enough for a 500 mile or even 1,000km race?

I don't buy it, make the Mosport race like the Classic 1000km of years gone by. If the teams want it, give it to them.

If we can get back up to 12 races which I don't think is a stretch at all, just putting St Pete back on gets us to 10. Baltimore is likely a done deal, that's 11, so putting a third California date on the schedule is more likely than running at Watkins Glen, the series will not go to Barber or VIR.

I wouldn't even mind a second Canadian date, maybe with Indy Car up in Edmonton.

There is room for 14 events when Detroit is able to return, maybe by 2012, if you add another street race someplace or another race in the Northeast, that would be easy 14 events. Or even Portland.

When the Indy Car schedule finally comes out we'll have a much better idea if the market is ready for more events.
Old 9 Aug 2010, 07:47 (Ref:2741742)   #25
dj4monie
Veteran

United States
Reseda, California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Birddog07 View Post
California is a big market for the manufactuers. Hell, Ferrari named a car after the state. Part of why I think the ALMS will want a race in Austin if the F1 track ever gets built, decent market for the manufactuers.

My calendar:
-Winter Sebring Test-
R1 Sebring 12h
R2 Barber 3h
R3 Laguna 6h
-Le Mans Break-
R4 Watkins Glen 6h
R5 Austin 3h
R6 Mid-Ohio 3h
R7 Road America 6h
R8 Mosport 3h
R9 Sears Point 3h
R10 Portland 3h
R11 Mont Tremblant 3h
R12 Petit Le Mans 10h

Obviously a huge dream, but if the series can generate enough interest from manufactuers (GT2 teams, LMP2 engines, GTC/3 customer cars) then the growth could happen and the series return to it's year 2000 glory. I'd really like to see Long Beach go, but like I said it is a big market so can't forsee it leaving.
2000 glory? What are you smoking?

Best years for ALMS 2007 and 2008

The turnout for the Houston event was decent but that was for CCWS (CART) shared weekend. That could come back but not likely.

Shared events with Indy Car going forward make more sense than not. You will not see Mount Tremblant, VIR or Barber. People call Watkins Glen pie in the sky, then use the excuse of ISC, which is all about making money.

Speedway Motorsports is also about making money and not loyalties.

For Bruton Smith, it wouldn't be the first time dealing with IMSA/PSCR/Panoz Group anyway and if they feel they can pull in a good Saturday crowd, compared to nobody on Saturday (only qualifying and yawn Indy Lights) than why not pay the fee and put the ALMS there?

Watkins Glen is not pipe dream really, but more of Racing Politics. If ISC is about making money and not politics they will listen. Especially if the ALMS really wants to replace its Lime Rock date at the request of the teams and drivers. It wouldn't be the first time a track has outlived its usefulness.

The date is open, that's the whole point. Indy Car is not drawing there, in fact attendance has dropped every year since its debut there. It was July 4th weekend this year but that's generally where it falls, so its perfect replacement for Lime Rock if that's what they want to do.

Utah is one of the newest purpose built tracks for drawing in professional series. You should be happy and instead most fans (and some drivers) complain about it. Then you want to run the series on glorified Club Tracks like VIR and Thunderbolt. I've heard Autobahn Raceway as well, I just have to giggle, you can't be serious.