Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 2 Mar 2004, 21:26 (Ref:891714)   #1
Fondmetal
Rookie

Fondmetal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Webber getting big headed?

Webber lately seem to be having his oppinions on everyone lately, first he thinks MS is heading for and was kissing raikkonens ass, then he has a chang eof mind and retracts what he said.

Ive lost count of how many other drivers he criticised had "so called expert oppinions on" and now he is boasting at how much better he was than wilson...who beat him f3000.

but to give credit to wilson who only had a few races at jag and swapping mid season and being a novice is always going to be hard.

Webber is overated in my oppinion, and is given to much credit and over exposure. oh and what drivers has he had as his team mate? yoong and for a few races wilson? and pizzonia who was treated to a lesser spec car than webber...is hardly anything to go by, and he was often setting quick times on low fuel levels.

the guy is below the likes of montoya, Ralf, alonso, raikkonen, etc etc
Old 2 Mar 2004, 21:41 (Ref:891735)   #2
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
How was Pizzonia given a lower spec car?

Wilson did beat Webber in F3000, yes. Comprehensively in fact. But how many times did we hear that Heinz-Harald Frentzen beat Michael Schumacher regularly in lower formulas? And who turned out to be better in the end? F1 is a different ball game, my friend.

And Pizzonia isn't a bad driver........he messed up his chance though, not helped by an inspired Webber.

Mark works so hard in a Schuey Snr way and he will win world championships. He probably hasn't got the natural talent that montoya, Alonso and Raikkonen have, but he will work to the top.....like Mansell did.
Old 2 Mar 2004, 21:52 (Ref:891757)   #3
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Good comparison there, Webber is very Mansell like.

Not so much of a pain in the arse for those who work with him though.
Old 2 Mar 2004, 21:53 (Ref:891760)   #4
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Oy! Leave Nige alone!
Old 2 Mar 2004, 21:55 (Ref:891763)   #5
Fondmetal
Rookie

Fondmetal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
webber would always get the spec and latest development parts, pizza had to make do with the older spec bits...
Old 2 Mar 2004, 22:19 (Ref:891806)   #6
grumpy1
Veteran

grumpy1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Fondmetal.Welcome to ten-tenths.
Lets set the record straight on a few things.Firstly Pizzonia was given the same equipment as Webber and in Pizzas own words he blew it because he couldn't come to grips with the car.Webber got into F1 with determination rather than a suitcase full of cash.
Lets look at sports cars.At Lemans the car flipped on the Mulsan straight at 300 plus klm/hr.He walked away and the next day got into the spare car and it happened again.The fact lost in all of this is his practice time would have given the car pole.Thats the time on the second day by the way.Mercedes withdrew the cars so we will never know whether he would have won it.Lets look at his team mate at M/B Mr Zonta.Arrived in F1 with a suitcase full of cash impressed no-one and is now gone.
If people like Shuie Mika Hakkinin and the like see a WDC in him then you have respect that.Mark will drive a Williams next year and I hope that Ralfie stays so Webber can kick his butt.Ralfie reminds me of another driver who bagged his new team mate and we all know what happened there.

The Grumpy1

Last edited by grumpy1; 2 Mar 2004 at 22:21.
Old 2 Mar 2004, 22:46 (Ref:891847)   #7
Mark Webber
Veteran

Australia
Australia
Mark Webber has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!

Now I'm not going to attack the poster . But think you have missed the mark (no pun) by a mile . Yes everyone has either opinon. Mark has been in the press some what of late but only 3 interviews in the last 4wks and as per every F1 drivers interviews they have been cut and pasted everywhere around the world . Add this to the up and coming Aus Gp the quotes will be flying thick and fast add to it Mark's home Gp .

Mark talent is know a give thing (almost to the nay sayers) when pepole like MS ,FW , PH , Jackie S, Mika H , FB , PS and big Bernie alot prasie our Mark now if these guys can not spot talent then F1 is in real trouble .

Mark my words IF Mark drives for Williams he WILL win a WDC and I'll will have humble pies for the small group of nay sayers

Last edited by Mark Webber; 2 Mar 2004 at 22:51.
Old 2 Mar 2004, 22:46 (Ref:891849)   #8
santori
Racer

santori should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think he just says what he feels. An excellent driver, though I do wonder about all the fuss around his team-work. A lot of it seems to be Windsor-inspired and, as with most Windsor inspired things, based on very little. I don't mean that Webber doesn't work as hard as people say, I just mean that other drivers do, too.
Old 2 Mar 2004, 23:13 (Ref:891882)   #9
Osella
Veteran

Osella should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
cool name, Fondmetal!
Old 3 Mar 2004, 00:36 (Ref:891930)   #10
ozrevhead
Veteran

Australia
Adelaide, Australia
ozrevhead should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
big head????????

Quote:
From planet F1
Webber is the focus of attention as he returns to his home grand prix. And with increased press attention inevitably comes increased speculation that he could leave the struggling Jaguar team.

"Clearly there is stuff going on, seats available which could make me go a lot further in my career a lot quicker," Webber acknowledged. "So far I have made good decisions in my career. I want to win races and also there are people out there beating me because of the car they are in, which does my head in.

"That can't go on forever. I want one day to have the chance to run at the front. But you have to remember I have done only 32 grands prix. It was not that long ago I was happy to sign a Minardi contract. I have not achieved anything in F1 yet. You can never rest on your laurels. When you arrive in F1 it's like wow, you are definitely in the lolly shop. But that lasts half an hour. You soon realise that you have to deliver."
if mark's bigheaded then im Bernie Ecclestone!

You may think he's overated but as it has beeb pointed out, those ppl in F1 who matter - MS, Mika Hakkinen, Bernie, Sir Frank, Patrick Head, J Steward, Sir Jack Brabbham and every1 in pit lane (after all, he was voted into the FIA Drivers Association by EVERY DRIVER) - dont!

Its not a question of IF Mark wil win the WDC but WHEN he will.
Old 3 Mar 2004, 01:33 (Ref:891967)   #11
enemy-ace
Veteran

Canada
toronto, ontario, canada
enemy-ace should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As soon as anyone acquires any kind of measure of success and makes people stand up and take notice there will always be somebody there to try and tear that down.
Mark is clearly talented and a hard worker and is in his current position because of those qualities.
Jag have a great find in Webber and I hope they grow strong together.
A torrential afternoon practice session in Watkins Glen saw Villeneuve out-qualify everyone. By 11 seconds.Scheckter stated: "I scared myself rigid that day, I thought I had to be quickest. Then I saw Gilles's time and - I still don't really understand how it was possible. Eleven seconds !"
Old 3 Mar 2004, 01:54 (Ref:891980)   #12
jj2728
Veteran

jj2728 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
i've said this before, webber has the capacity to build a team around him ala' ms....i think he IS the real deal....here's to a great start for him and the leaping cat down under....
Old 3 Mar 2004, 02:12 (Ref:891986)   #13
GTV27
Veteran

GTV27 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Whilst,this thread is clearly a not so subtle attempt to flame bait the Webber supporters, I am impressed with how restrained the responses have been.

Zero tolerance must be working (or maybe its that Webber fans are more intelligent than most )
Old 3 Mar 2004, 02:44 (Ref:892003)   #14
grumpy1
Veteran

grumpy1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'll go with option 2 GTV
I wonder if this fellas related to the fella who started the HRT for sale tread ?

The Grumpy1

Last edited by grumpy1; 3 Mar 2004 at 02:46.
Old 3 Mar 2004, 02:45 (Ref:892004)   #15
Nizmo32_josh
Rookie

Nizmo32_josh should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes GTV27 us australians are *very* smart!
Old 3 Mar 2004, 03:26 (Ref:892014)   #16
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
Mark Webber will win the Championship if he gets the right car , end of story.

and big headed ?

and very much doubt it from my experiences (which i must add is limited) Mark is an awesome guy who takes the time for us the fans and still replies to emails and thanks you for your support.
this guy is nowhere near big headed from my view , maybe its only the reporting you are seeing.

lets face it he is the best driver to come out of Australia in years and has the whole country behind him and I guess we wont hear a bad word about him.

Time will tell and im sure I will be proven right !!
Old 3 Mar 2004, 04:03 (Ref:892027)   #17
Muzza
Veteran

Brazil
Newbury Park, CA, United States
Muzza should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by grumpy1
(...)Lets look at his team mate at M/B Mr Zonta.Arrived in F1 with a suitcase full of cash impressed no-one and is now gone.(...)
Hello, grumpy1,

I agree with most of your message, but your remark on Zonta's funding is not correct. May I ask what are your sources?

It is curious what you said about Zonta not impressing anyone... I wonder what is he doing at Toyota, that has money to sign just about any test driver in the world - and chose to grab Zonta.

Mike Gascoyne has said very positive words about Zonta's technical feedback (let me quote it literally: "People think that it is Panis, the most experienced driver and a former tester, the one that gives you the best feedback. But Zonta is, among our drivers, so detailed in his analysis after a round out... that he tells exactly what the telemtry reads - and much more.".) Gascoyne goes on and calls Zonta "pretty consistent, and he does exactly what we ask, when we ask".

Also, what about this recent one by Frank Williams: "We need the most complete test drivers in our team. In today's Formula 1 test drivers are almost as important as the guys that drive during the weekend. Toyota has learned this fast - look at their test driver line-up."

Also, it is ironic that you compared Zonta and Webber at Mercedes Benz. Would you mind to check your files again? I have the numbers in front of me right now, and they tell me something different...

Cheers,

Muzza

Last edited by Muzza; 3 Mar 2004 at 04:04.
Old 3 Mar 2004, 08:21 (Ref:892112)   #18
deeks6
Veteran

deeks6 User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
2005 World Championship

1st Mark Webber (Australia) Williams BMW

End of transmission...

p.s. Muzza - nice signature, mate - Love the Mario
Old 3 Mar 2004, 09:00 (Ref:892133)   #19
Onlooker
Veteran

Onlooker should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
He has shown great maturaty from day 1 really,how many young guys in their opening F1 race would have just let Salo by and taken the single point for 6th.
He didn't win the FF championship in Oz either and you can come out and see all those that beat him rumbling around in 4 door family sedans in the support events too.

"Montoya made some last minute changes to his suspension but it seemed to effect it's handling"-Classic
Old 3 Mar 2004, 10:06 (Ref:892168)   #20
DriverT
Veteran

United Kingdom
Silverstone
DriverT should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Mark has probably been through the journalists' typical interview. Leading questions designed to make news rather than report it.

Everyone at this time of year asks everyone their opinion.
Old 3 Mar 2004, 12:07 (Ref:892274)   #21
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I don't see anything outrageous in what Mark says (about himself or other drivers). I might not 100% agree, but I see no form of arrogance. He doesn't even, as a general rule, talk himself up IMHO - which he is entitled to do.

Last edited by Adam43; 3 Mar 2004 at 12:08.
Old 3 Mar 2004, 12:44 (Ref:892302)   #22
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Ho hum. What do y'all want? You complain bitterly that today's drivers "aren't characters" anymore cos they never say anything, then as soon as they do say anything mildly interesting you pounce on them for being "big headed", overconfident and opinionated!

Make your minds up people!

Every time I see Webber interviewed, he comes across as one of the most down to earth drivers on the grid. His feet are definitely still on the ground, and he seems to know exactly what he needs to do.

As for all this so called bashing of other drivers and talking himself up - I think, as usual, the journalists have alot to answer for.
Old 3 Mar 2004, 14:10 (Ref:892388)   #23
Muzza
Veteran

Brazil
Newbury Park, CA, United States
Muzza should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by deeks6
2005 World Championship

1st Mark Webber (Australia) Williams BMW

End of transmission...

p.s. Muzza - nice signature, mate - Love the Mario
Thanks, deeks6 - but credits should go to Mario. He is one of the mosr charismatic people I have ever met.

And your prediction about next years' season is quite possible...

Cheers,

Muzza
Old 3 Mar 2004, 14:21 (Ref:892402)   #24
Ej10
Racer

Ej10 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I dont think that mark webber has any more a big head than ever. The one who is peeving me off is Button. This is the guy who has yet to get a podium and show consistency yet is bragging at how he is gonna win races in 2004.

Thats what you call big headed!
Old 3 Mar 2004, 14:32 (Ref:892415)   #25
RWC
Veteran

RWC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by santori
A lot of it seems to be Windsor-inspired and, as with most Windsor inspired things, based on very little.
Absolutally!!