Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Old 31 Jan 2006, 22:52 (Ref:1513097)   #1
badgeman62
Racer

United Kingdom
chester
badgeman62 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
just out of interest.....

when we attend race meetings we are all very safety concious,especially when attending an incident,and even more so when there is a fire.
however just out of interest how many of you actually have a fire extinguisher in your car,and how many have one in the home.
i dont have one either in the car or at home.so should we think more about safety in our daily lives.
Old 31 Jan 2006, 22:55 (Ref:1513099)   #2
Sheila M
Veteran

England
Burton-Upon-Trent
Sheila M should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSheila M should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by badgeman62
when we attend race meetings we are all very safety concious,especially when attending an incident,and even more so when there is a fire.
however just out of interest how many of you actually have a fire extinguisher in your car,and how many have one in the home.
i dont have one either in the car or at home.so should we think more about safety in our daily lives.
Good point - yes we have one in the car.
No we don't have one at home since I've learned not to set fire to the dinner

Joking apart, a fire blanket in the kitchen would be more appropriate.
Old 31 Jan 2006, 23:14 (Ref:1513108)   #3
happyhammer
Rookie

United Kingdom
Poole
happyhammer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have a fire extinguisher in the car. Haven't got one in the home.
Old 31 Jan 2006, 23:19 (Ref:1513113)   #4
thepits!
Veteran

England
England
thepits! should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridthepits! should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
more to the point - those who have fire extinguishers, how often do they get tested?

How do you know it's going to work after all this time.?

Plus the p*xy little car & home ones are b..... useless anyway!

Fire Blanket in the kitchen - much more sensible!

(And a plumbed-in extinguisher system in the car?)!

But don't care.
Old 31 Jan 2006, 23:22 (Ref:1513116)   #5
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Got one in the car and another in the caravan. One is just outside the front door and one the rear, so if I need one at home I know where to get it. I regularly turn them over and listen for the powder to drop...
Old 31 Jan 2006, 23:24 (Ref:1513117)   #6
F.O.F.
TeaTotal
Racer

Ireland
dublin
F.O.F. should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
we have one in the kitchen ever since my mam set fire to christmas dinner one year
Old 31 Jan 2006, 23:24 (Ref:1513118)   #7
thepits!
Veteran

England
England
thepits! should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridthepits! should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woolley
Got one in the car and another in the caravan. One is just outside the front door and one the rear, so if I need one at home I know where to get it. I regularly turn them over and listen for the powder to drop...
but the gas has leaked, so when you want it it goes pppppppppppppppp!

But don't care.
Old 31 Jan 2006, 23:30 (Ref:1513125)   #8
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Both have pressure valves which I've also been known to tap from time to time. Yes, I really can be that sad!
Old 1 Feb 2006, 07:45 (Ref:1513270)   #9
neilwaynesmith
Veteran

England
Tamworth, England
neilwaynesmith is a back marker
One in the car, hooked to the right-hand side of the boot.

One in the house, checked and set out in position every morning >joke<

Considering the fact that the neighbours know we both marshal and, during the summer we look pretty obvious getting out of the car in orange on a Sunday afternoon, I think it would be rather embarrassing if our house burnt down for want of an extinguisher.....
Old 1 Feb 2006, 07:52 (Ref:1513273)   #10
Eddy V
Veteran

Belgium
Belgium & UK
Eddy V should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridEddy V should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
In Belgium it is mandatory to have a 1kg bottle inside the car (not allowed in the boot). So usually they are bolted under the passenger seat.
Since I drive around now with German plates (lots cheaper in assurance and taxes ) I still have a bottle in the car even if it is not needed in Germany.

At home I have a 6kg bottle, checked once or twice a year and there is a firehose as well.
Old 1 Feb 2006, 07:59 (Ref:1513277)   #11
rescue dude
Veteran

England
rescue dude is a back marker
Quote:

I bet during the winter you stand by them for hours waiting, ever vigilant.

Those long winter evenings must just fly by.

I got one in the garage in case the washing machine barrel rolls in the Peugeot parts chicane.
Old 1 Feb 2006, 08:38 (Ref:1513294)   #12
PipSqueak111
Racer

England
Deepest, darkest Devon
PipSqueak111 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I used to have one in the car, but could find nowhere in the footwells to mount it, so it ended up in the boot. This was fine until one day I hit a big bump and all of a sudden the valve or seal must have gone and the inside of my boot got a powder coating!!
Old 1 Feb 2006, 08:43 (Ref:1513296)   #13
rescue dude
Veteran

England
rescue dude is a back marker
Quote:
Originally Posted by PipSqueak111
I used to have one in the car, but could find nowhere in the footwells to mount it, so it ended up in the boot. This was fine until one day I hit a big bump and all of a sudden the valve or seal must have gone and the inside of my boot got a powder coating!!

Certain fire car drivers know all about that.
Old 1 Feb 2006, 09:20 (Ref:1513312)   #14
Hepatic
Veteran

United Kingdom
Preston-ish
Hepatic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridHepatic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
about to say, it wasn't a jag was it?

got one in the kitchen, not in my car...
Old 1 Feb 2006, 09:49 (Ref:1513325)   #15
MagnetON
Admin
Veteran

MagnetON
Dublin
MagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Both have pressure valves which I've also been known to tap from time to time. Yes, I really can be that sad!
Ummm.... I've been known to take the one off the kitchen wall and listen to it to make sure the powder hasn't got compacted...
Old 1 Feb 2006, 13:54 (Ref:1513515)   #16
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
And clerks...

Clerk to doctor, while hoovering out the inside of the hatchback: "Is there anything medical we should know about this powder?"
Me (interupting): "Nothing serious, don't stray too far from a toilet for the next couple days"
Doc: "That sums it up nicely. You may want to avoid anything with chillies as well"

Quote:
Originally Posted by rescue dude
:I bet during the winter you stand by them for hours waiting, ever vigilant.

Those long winter evenings must just fly by.
LOL. You haven't seen the picture of Jan in orange t-shirt and shorts standing next to a fire extinguisher outside a Greek hotel.
Old 1 Feb 2006, 15:17 (Ref:1513558)   #17
goforit500
Veteran

goforit500 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
We have one in the kitchen - To be more accurate, in a cupboard in the kitchen, under some papers, next to a tool box....

Much better in the garage....Three !! wall mounted one just inside the door, one at the back, one on a shelf at the back...Nooo - Make that four !!! Theres one in the car as well....
Tho to be honest, if anything caught fire in my garage i'd use the extinguisher to break the window to get out in a hurry....Race Fuel, Oxy/Acy gasses, paints, solvents, oily rags...Always open the main doors before starting the old beastie up and have an escape route in mind, I do... :-)
Old 1 Feb 2006, 16:51 (Ref:1513613)   #18
schrammy
Racer

England
Scratby
schrammy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Can't see the need for one in the kitchen as the only thing my wife ever uses is the kettle......................
Old 1 Feb 2006, 17:16 (Ref:1513633)   #19
CombeMarshal
Veteran

England
Stroud, Glos
CombeMarshal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have one in me car, never know when you could sell it to a motorist in distress for a couple of hundred quid!!!!!
Old 1 Feb 2006, 19:30 (Ref:1513722)   #20
Matthews Dad
Veteran

England
Northwich
Matthews Dad should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
1 (new powder extinguisher that replaced old Halon! one)in car with first aid kit
1 in garage mounted by door but as this one came out of car probably would not work now
and fire blanket in kitchen that was replaced after last one put out burning toaster

all hopefully never to be used but there just in case, and may help save someones life
Old 1 Feb 2006, 20:48 (Ref:1513774)   #21
JimW
Veteran

United Kingdom
Worcestershire, UK
JimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Nothing in the car (Thinks - should I do something about that?). CO2/fire blanket in the kitchen (on the way out), 9 litre AFFF foam in the porch. (Two dry powder and two AFFF in the rescue unit parked on the drive and the spare set in the garden shed,)

Did not replace the Halon in the car when the pressure went down. Never really been convinced about a small extinguisher. Might see if I can get and stow properly a modest AFFF or dry powder.

Regards

Jim
Old 1 Feb 2006, 20:57 (Ref:1513778)   #22
JimW
Veteran

United Kingdom
Worcestershire, UK
JimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Proper precautions and action.

But now realise I have not properly addressed the actual question posed by badgeman.

I think that planning to address fires in your home could be high risk unless you are very careful. I don't accept without challenge the simplest advice given by the Fire service but I think you need to take it very seriously and know when you are acting not entirely in accordance.

Know your escape lines.
Know that your smoke/fire detectors have had their annual (or as recommended) battery change and have been tested within the last week.
Take no risks in attempting to fight a fire.
If you have others in the house make sure that thay know what to do.
If in doubt, get out.

For most domestic fires it is smoke which kills people. And the fire will usually be beyond your ability to tackle safely unless you spot it straight away.

Sorry - preach over. And of course we all remember that Rules are for the guidance of wise women and the obedience of fools.

Regards

Jim

Last edited by JimW; 1 Feb 2006 at 20:59. Reason: Missing smilie and title!
Old 1 Feb 2006, 21:13 (Ref:1513792)   #23
badgeman62
Racer

United Kingdom
chester
badgeman62 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
blimey..........after reading some of these comments it sounds as though the bucket of sand will have to go,and some serious investment made in some good fire extinguishers/blankets.
Old 1 Feb 2006, 21:22 (Ref:1513798)   #24
Ian Briggs
Veteran

Ian Briggs should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Decent CO2 in the kitchen, old, but still showing pressure Halon in garage that travels to rallies, Small powders in the cars, know the powder hasnt settled as driving style and marshalling rallies meand everythig in car is well, err, agitated!
Have extinguished mildly alight rally car with small halfords extinguisher, so sometimes something is better than nowt.
Old 1 Feb 2006, 23:33 (Ref:1513884)   #25
Dutch chap
Veteran

European Union
Holland
Dutch chap should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have 2 halon 4KG bottles, 1 in the house, the other in the garage.Yes, I know about halon and the enviroment but that doesn't stop me from keeping them. If they ever find a real substitue for it I'll change them, but till then... halon for me!