Home Mobile Forum News Cookbook FaceBook Us T-Shirts etc.: Europe/Worldwide. eBay Motorsport Links Advertising  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 17 Jan 2020, 13:34 (Ref:3952081)   #1216
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin has a real shot at the championship!S griffin has a real shot at the championship!S griffin has a real shot at the championship!S griffin has a real shot at the championship!S griffin has a real shot at the championship!S griffin has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
They (Williams) would argue to the contrary though.

'the group is determined that enhancing its funds was not the crucial inspiring element for employing him'

What do you mean? Of course his funds were crucial to the team
Old 17 Jan 2020, 14:04 (Ref:3952084)   #1217
crmalcolm
Veteran

Ireland
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
What do you mean? Of course his funds were crucial to the team
I mean that Williams are saying that his signing is not based on the funds he brings.
Old 17 Jan 2020, 14:07 (Ref:3952085)   #1218
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin has a real shot at the championship!S griffin has a real shot at the championship!S griffin has a real shot at the championship!S griffin has a real shot at the championship!S griffin has a real shot at the championship!S griffin has a real shot at the championship!
I donít doubt it had something to do with it, letís face it, thereís a reason he hasnít signed for Merc
Old 17 Jan 2020, 14:50 (Ref:3952092)   #1219
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSodemo should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSodemo should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSodemo should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I think Williams' plan is to become the next Tyrrell.
Old 17 Jan 2020, 15:54 (Ref:3952102)   #1220
steve nielsen
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam- Holland
steve nielsen should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodemo View Post
at least Tyrrell had Jos Verstappen and Mika Salo in the last year uncle Ken was in charge
Old 17 Jan 2020, 16:11 (Ref:3952104)   #1221
Richard Casto
Subscriber
Veteran

United States
Durham, NC, USA
Richard Casto will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameRichard Casto will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameRichard Casto will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameRichard Casto will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameRichard Casto will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameRichard Casto will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameRichard Casto will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameRichard Casto will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameRichard Casto will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameRichard Casto will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameRichard Casto will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
I mean that Williams are saying that his signing is not based on the funds he brings.
I say this without meaning to be harsh on Williams because what I am about to describe is universal and not specific to Williams, F1 or motorsports.

First, any type of Press Release, public interview, etc. is ultimately an exercise in marketing, crafting of message, however you want to say it. If you are looking for the truth, don't rely upon the these types of things. There will always be a nugget of truth, but for the most part the message is being crafted for the audience.

If you are struggling (as Williams is), you don't say things like "We are selling testing slots for money". Everyone talks about "pay drivers", but you will notice that the teams generally don't acknowledge the fact that it happens. I firmly believe the Williams sold the testing slots for money. Of course there are extra requirements on the Williams side. They clearly need someone in the car who can get it around the track at a reasonable pace, doesn't crash the car, and can work a test program. Williams needs to be get something of value beyond just the money. But the money is a key point. I would say that statements from Williams are focusing on the fact they they will get something out of this other than just cash. I don't blame them at all for providing a crafted response to this topic.

If the above wasn't true then any yahoo with cash in pocket would be crashing cars during test sessions on pit exit (assuming they don't repeatedly stall the car trying to get out of the garage).

Richard
Old 17 Jan 2020, 16:14 (Ref:3952105)   #1222
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famechillibowl will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famechillibowl will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famechillibowl will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famechillibowl will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famechillibowl will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famechillibowl will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famechillibowl will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famechillibowl will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famechillibowl will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodemo View Post
their facilities and IP will get reused by the next iteration of the team. Tyrrell eventually became Merc...so if that is to be Williams' future then its a pretty good one!
Old 17 Jan 2020, 16:33 (Ref:3952107)   #1223
crmalcolm
Veteran

Ireland
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Don't get me wrong. I wholly feel that money is a significant factor in signing Nissany. I was just pointing out that Williams are saying otherwise.
Old 17 Jan 2020, 16:33 (Ref:3952108)   #1224
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famechillibowl will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famechillibowl will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famechillibowl will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famechillibowl will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famechillibowl will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famechillibowl will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famechillibowl will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famechillibowl will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famechillibowl will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moneyseeker View Post
But, they have already lost two sets of impatient billionaires in successive years, so they really can't afford another bad 2020.
having a brain fade moment...Strolls were one but cant recall the other billionaire?
Old 17 Jan 2020, 16:54 (Ref:3952109)   #1225
crmalcolm
Veteran

Ireland
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
having a brain fade moment...Strolls were one but cant recall the other billionaire?
Sirotkin backers?
Old 22 Jan 2020, 11:19 (Ref:3952716)   #1226
billy bleach
Veteran

Ireland
Vilnius
billy bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbilly bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
"Williams aims to debut car on first day of test" Aims?! I would have thought that is an absolute red line!
Old 22 Jan 2020, 15:38 (Ref:3952759)   #1227
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
not sure if this is the article/interview you are referring to but here is a recent article with Claire on autosport.

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/14...t-of-19-delays

obviously nothing is guaranteed but it does sound like the team is ahead of where they were at this point last year....for whatever that is worth.

from the article:

"We've built ourselves a huge amount of contingency time to ensure that if something does go wrong, we're OK and we've got some cover there," Williams added.

"One of the first signs of success for us is that we passed all our crash tests, and most of which we did at the first attempt rather than like last year where we failed many of them: even at the sixth attempt.

of course, whenver it does hit the track, the car still may be pants. interesting times ahead.
Old 22 Jan 2020, 16:28 (Ref:3952761)   #1228
Mike Harte
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte has a real shot at the podium!Mike Harte has a real shot at the podium!Mike Harte has a real shot at the podium!Mike Harte has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
"One of the first signs of success for us is that we passed all our crash tests, and most of which we did at the first attempt rather than like last year where we failed many of them: even at the sixth attempt.

of course, whenver it does hit the track, the car still may be pants. interesting times ahead.

But at least it will be crash test approved pants!
Old 22 Jan 2020, 17:00 (Ref:3952769)   #1229
billy bleach
Veteran

Ireland
Vilnius
billy bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbilly bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
not sure if this is the article/interview you are referring to but here is a recent article with Claire on autosport.

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/14...t-of-19-delays

obviously nothing is guaranteed but it does sound like the team is ahead of where they were at this point last year....for whatever that is worth.

from the article:

"We've built ourselves a huge amount of contingency time to ensure that if something does go wrong, we're OK and we've got some cover there," Williams added.

Grand prix.com - interesting two different takes from two different feeds..fingers crossed all will be well and the Pheonix will rise
Old 22 Jan 2020, 19:31 (Ref:3952804)   #1230
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
But at least it will be crash test approved pants!
haha right!

just to add, for me time must have faded the memory of how behind the ball Williams were last year. i cant say i remember about a part failing a required safety test 6 times before they got it right!

Quote:
Originally Posted by billy bleach View Post
Grand prix.com - interesting two different takes from two different feeds..fingers crossed all will be well and the Pheonix will rise
indeed fingers crossed.