Home Mobile Forum News Cookbook FaceBook Us T-Shirts etc.: Europe/Worldwide. eBay Motorsport Links Advertising  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 18 Jan 2020, 12:56 (Ref:3952199)   #346
canaglia
Veteran

canaglia should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcanaglia should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadrun96 View Post
Or it makes little to no aero at the front so the rear balance is not as big a problem? We can't tell from the Mazda since they changed most everything out front

driving a so low downforce car, let's say I would not to be in riley drivers shoes when they have to brake from >300km/h while steering on left at the same time....
Old 18 Jan 2020, 13:54 (Ref:3952203)   #347
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebroadrun96 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebroadrun96 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebroadrun96 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebroadrun96 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebroadrun96 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebroadrun96 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebroadrun96 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebroadrun96 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebroadrun96 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Well it may not matter according to MP, he doesn't expect the RWR Riley will be at Daytona. Apparently damages were more than a new rear deck like the team claimed trackside so his BOP article says they're not likely to race
It was fun while it lasted, have enjoyed the people I've met but the measuring contests and arguments over who's more insider and who's smarter has just made it not worth the effort any longer. It should be fun, not work and it's just work to find actual information.
Old 18 Jan 2020, 14:35 (Ref:3952207)   #348
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the podium!chernaudi has a real shot at the podium!chernaudi has a real shot at the podium!chernaudi has a real shot at the podium!chernaudi has a real shot at the podium!
Again, based on how they've acted so far and their NASCAR model, I find it hard to take this team very seriously. At best they're just making up the numbers in LMP2, at worst it's just a waste of money to boost someone's ego, even if that person is the one wasting his money.
Old 18 Jan 2020, 14:57 (Ref:3952210)   #349
MaskedRacer
Veteran

MaskedRacer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMaskedRacer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadrun96 View Post
Well it may not matter according to MP, he doesn't expect the RWR Riley will be at Daytona. Apparently damages were more than a new rear deck like the team claimed trackside so his BOP article says they're not likely to race
Maybe not the worst thing. I could see the #2 Riley being the potential source of a couple of safety car periods.
Old 18 Jan 2020, 17:03 (Ref:3952219)   #350
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebroadrun96 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebroadrun96 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebroadrun96 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebroadrun96 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebroadrun96 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebroadrun96 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebroadrun96 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebroadrun96 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebroadrun96 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by chernaudi View Post
At best they're just making up the numbers in LMP2, at worst it's just a waste of money to boost someone's ego, even if that person is the one wasting his money.
That describes a LOT of the history of noon-factory sportscar racing.
It was fun while it lasted, have enjoyed the people I've met but the measuring contests and arguments over who's more insider and who's smarter has just made it not worth the effort any longer. It should be fun, not work and it's just work to find actual information.
Old 18 Jan 2020, 21:32 (Ref:3952237)   #351
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the podium!chernaudi has a real shot at the podium!chernaudi has a real shot at the podium!chernaudi has a real shot at the podium!chernaudi has a real shot at the podium!
At least some of those programs had a place and did well in the light of minimal or no factory teams. This just seems to be a rent-a-ride program to either satisfy someone's ego or wallet, or both.

I know that the ACO and IMSA sort of have the vision of gentleman driver-backed teams running in LMP2. However, the reality is somewhat different with, one, many teams exploiting loopholes/grey area in the rules for driver allotment. And, two, there are pro-am efforts that belong, and others that don't.

To compare this to like the old Welter WM/WR efforts IMO is like comparing chalk and cheese. WM/WR was often the butt of jokes and ridicule, but it was a team of enthusiasts and sometimes turned in surprising credible results. RWR seems to be either trying to line Rick Ware's pockets, or Ware's on an ego trip.
Old 18 Jan 2020, 22:50 (Ref:3952239)   #352
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famejoeb will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famejoeb will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famejoeb will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famejoeb will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famejoeb will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famejoeb will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famejoeb will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famejoeb will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famejoeb will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famejoeb will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by chernaudi View Post
Again, based on how they've acted so far and their NASCAR model, I find it hard to take this team very seriously. At best they're just making up the numbers in LMP2, at worst it's just a waste of money to boost someone's ego, even if that person is the one wasting his money.
The team has busted their humps getting cars on the grid in the Asian series, so I commend them. If the car is damaged, there is a pretty good chance they have no spares given their chassis. Mazda probably doesn't want to share since they have a lot of running coming up, and Riley/Multi don't have a store full of supplies for a car nobody has run in 3 years.
Old 18 Jan 2020, 23:10 (Ref:3952244)   #353
canaglia
Veteran

canaglia should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcanaglia should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeb View Post
The team has busted their humps getting cars on the grid in the Asian series, so I commend them. If the car is damaged, there is a pretty good chance they have no spares given their chassis. Mazda probably doesn't want to share since they have a lot of running coming up, and Riley/Multi don't have a store full of supplies for a car nobody has run in 3 years.

as far I know riley lmp2 still uses the 2017 riley tub, while mazda dpi uses a multimatic updated tub. Likely are no more compatible.
Old times where team could build an acura lmp2 using a compatible oreca/courage chassis are long gone....
Old 19 Jan 2020, 00:16 (Ref:3952249)   #354
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by canaglia View Post
as far I know riley lmp2 still uses the 2017 riley tub, while mazda dpi uses a multimatic updated tub. Likely are no more compatible.
Old times where team could build an acura lmp2 using a compatible oreca/courage chassis are long gone....
It sounds like the upgrades with the Joker package were performed to the chassis and the rear deck spares are the same for Mazda and the Riley. Although as I remember the Riley had a 2 piece rear deck and I can't remember if that's what Mazda still used. Usually we only see the Mazda rear because it's on fire
Old 19 Jan 2020, 04:42 (Ref:3952255)   #355
carbsmith
Veteran

carbsmith has a real shot at the championship!carbsmith has a real shot at the championship!carbsmith has a real shot at the championship!carbsmith has a real shot at the championship!carbsmith has a real shot at the championship!carbsmith has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by canaglia View Post
yeah, but guess it would be insanely aero unbalanced at so high speeds.
You just raise the front ride height if you want to run downforce that low. You usually only have a problem if it's like the 2000 LMP rules for the V12 LMR where the rear wing was maxed out and wasn't enough to get the overall downforce level they wanted so they just ran the front end with diveplanes and a low splitter and depended on their drivers to live with the imbalance. Although I doubt most teams would have done that, Schnitzer's approach to racing the Audis was to just go flat out qualifying mode every lap and hope things worked out.

Mazda is still the split engine cover.

But that's not exactly important, the LMP2 and DPi still have different fender profiles and thus can't be the same engine cover or tail. If you take their story at face value then the part they were talking about as the rear deck has to have been either the rear wing or the shark fin itself.
Old 19 Jan 2020, 04:57 (Ref:3952256)   #356
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeb View Post

All I can comment on is what they've done in NASCAR, which is basically a field filler rent-a-ride program. As far as issues with the Riley, I'm thinking that they bought it because it's cheap. Why would a Riley Mk30 be cheap? Because not only is it basically obsolescent, but no one clearly wants one unless it's the Mazda DPI variant.

Yes, they've done well in the Asian LMS, but that's a very different theater of operations.

I hope that the team does well for the sake of the employed, but their management isn't exactly covering themselves in glory or making themselves seem to be deserving of a large amount of empathy.
Old 19 Jan 2020, 21:37 (Ref:3952357)   #357
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by carbsmith View Post
You just raise the front ride height if you want to run downforce that low. You usually only have a problem if it's like the 2000 LMP rules for the V12 LMR where the rear wing was maxed out and wasn't enough to get the overall downforce level they wanted so they just ran the front end with diveplanes and a low splitter and depended on their drivers to live with the imbalance. Although I doubt most teams would have done that, Schnitzer's approach to racing the Audis was to just go flat out qualifying mode every lap and hope things worked out.

Mazda is still the split engine cover.

But that's not exactly important, the LMP2 and DPi still have different fender profiles and thus can't be the same engine cover or tail. If you take their story at face value then the part they were talking about as the rear deck has to have been either the rear wing or the shark fin itself.
Thanks, knew someone would catch that detail somewhere. Figured they haven't changed too much but IMSA made it sound like the updates to the Mazda chassis are done on the Riley as well, outside of the DPi specific bits and styling.

I wanted to give RWR the benefit of the doubt but sounds like they either had bigger repairs, ie undertray, rear frame bits or deeper inside, or they hadn't arranged for spares or they just didn't want to send out a guy who couldn't pay for more parts to break the car again. Only thinking that as he's now fired and the "NASCAR driver" they claimed to have signed hasn't been announced yet so.
Old 19 Jan 2020, 23:26 (Ref:3952371)   #358
carbsmith
Veteran

carbsmith has a real shot at the championship!carbsmith has a real shot at the championship!carbsmith has a real shot at the championship!carbsmith has a real shot at the championship!carbsmith has a real shot at the championship!carbsmith has a real shot at the championship!
It was both Davison the pro and Kvamme the pay driver, so it's possible that Kvamme just didn't think he was getting a good deal after the test and Davison had been part of his package. It's hard to say.
Old 21 Jan 2020, 00:56 (Ref:3952507)   #359
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
Well sounds like the Riley is due for retirement now. RWR has pulled out of Daytona officially after the damage, and changing drivers (fired or mural parting who knows exactly), and ""circumstances outside the team’s control” regarding driver requirements and the funding required to be “competitive at the top” of the class.""

Sounds like the Riley will be left on the sidelines and they're concentrating on the Asian LeMans Series P2 car. But post-Daytona they will return full season in a different class. S365 saying likely appearance of Cody Ware and ______ in an Audi R8 Evo in GTD. Maybe they can get a deal on the Starworks car from last season.

RWR drivers Jonathan Hoggard, BRDC Sunoco Challenge winner, and Mark Kwamme have both moved over to PPM Lamborghini for the race. I didn't see anything about Davison having a new ride.

https://sportscar365.com/imsa/iwsc/r...from-rolex-24/
Old 21 Jan 2020, 02:29 (Ref:3952515)   #360
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famejoeb will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famejoeb will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famejoeb will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famejoeb will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famejoeb will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famejoeb will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famejoeb will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famejoeb will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famejoeb will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famejoeb will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Ben Keating has to be one of my favorite drivers, he just loves the sport so much he is pulling double duty in the Rolex 24 and driving both a P2 and GT3 car! He has done double duty before, and so have others, but to do this in multiple classes has to be tough.

https://sportscar365.com/imsa/iwsc/k...m-lmp2-to-gtd/

I'm going to be pulling for him, in both cars.