Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 16 Nov 2017, 14:52 (Ref:3780757)   #1
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
wolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Ferrari: in F1

I was unable to find a thread for Ferrari in F1 but I am sure there must be one in there somewhere.

Anyway F1 Racing has conducted a poll of who was Ferrari's greatest F1 driver

What is interesting is the results where Michael Schumacher came out on top with over 50% of the vote!
Next Kimi!!!! at 12.4%
Then we have Gilles with only 10.6%
followed by Fangio at 5.6%.
Prost only merits 1.4%

The others in the top ten were
Lauda 5.4%; Alonso 5.3%;Mansell 1.6% Ascari 1.4% and Vettel at 1.3%

Discuss
Old 16 Nov 2017, 15:41 (Ref:3780769)   #2
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Just shows a lot of current fans don't really study the history of the sport. And probably look at statistics too much. I mean Kimi second

To me Schumi may have been the most successful, but compared with some of those list, he didn't quite have the passionate prancing horse image, unlike say Villeneuve, Alesi, Alonso and even Kimi and Seb
Old 16 Nov 2017, 16:43 (Ref:3780779)   #3
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
Just shows a lot of current fans don't really study the history of the sport. And probably look at statistics too much. I mean Kimi second

To me Schumi may have been the most successful, but compared with some of those list, he didn't quite have the passionate prancing horse image, unlike say Villeneuve, Alesi, Alonso and even Kimi and Seb
And don't forget that the tifosi absolutely adored Mansell, il Leone, and, or so I seem to recall, they believe that he was one of the best drivers ever to grace the Prancing Horse.

I would assume that the poll was conducted via the internet, an I would humbly submit that it unlikely that many of the supporters of F1 who can remember the greats of yesteryear would have participated in the poll, so it is unlikely to have produced a true representation of facts. And we also come back to the old cherry that it is almost impossible to compare drivers from different eras because they required different skill sets to perform at the highest levels of their times.

Last edited by Mike Harte; 16 Nov 2017 at 16:51.
Old 16 Nov 2017, 16:49 (Ref:3780782)   #4
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
title wins over GP wins so the top five make sense in that they are the most recent Ferrari title winners and drivers who one more easily identifies as Ferrari drivers plus GV who has become a modern Ferrari legend.

but Kimi makes sense...won the title his first year there and represents their last top level moment.
Old 16 Nov 2017, 17:27 (Ref:3780791)   #5
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfhound View Post
I was unable to find a thread for Ferrari in F1 but I am sure there must be one in there somewhere.

Anyway F1 Racing has conducted a poll of who was Ferrari's greatest F1 driver
How was the question phrased?

There is a big difference between 'Who was the greatest to drive a Ferrari?' and 'Who was the greatest in a Ferrari?'
Old 16 Nov 2017, 18:36 (Ref:3780814)   #6
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
wolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
How was the question phrased?

There is a big difference between 'Who was the greatest to drive a Ferrari?' and 'Who was the greatest in a Ferrari?'
I don't know how the question was phrased but it was an online poll between F1 racing readers and the forum FerrariChat.
They were given a choice of 38 drivers who had won a championship GP for Ferrari.
Interestingly Massa was 12th. No mention of Hawthorn, Surtees or Phil Hill who won championships with Ferrari.
Old 16 Nov 2017, 19:00 (Ref:3780825)   #7
Graz
Veteran

Ireland
Graz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGraz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGraz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGraz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
A lot of modern fans have no appreciation of history. There's also the element of the past fades into the recesses and people react with hyperbole over what they see now or very recently. Apparently Hamilton is the best driver we've ever seen, much like Vettel was before that and Verstappen will be in the future.

As ever, the eras are too difficult to compare - reliability of the cars for one thing skews results.

For me, Lauda is the best Ferrari driver. He was instrumental in dragging them from the doldrums, was unbelievably quick, calculating and brave in what were fatal times.
Old 16 Nov 2017, 19:08 (Ref:3780830)   #8
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
putting a thought into peoples minds here, but i suspect it's not so much that they don't appreciate history, but that was then and this is now. fanboys will be fanboys, and the media will continue to whip up the nonsense, and keep writing headlines that make everyone think "WTF NO".

only ferrari are ridiculous enough to write those headlines themselves and that's why we love them
Old 19 Nov 2017, 20:06 (Ref:3781539)   #9
Mekola
Veteran

Kiribati
Atlantis
Mekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
All three main Argentinian drivers in F1, Fangio, Froilan and Reutemann, all three had driven for Ferrari with decent results.
Is to note Reutemann did a decent 1978 season with the Scuderia, with four wins!

Last edited by Mekola; 19 Nov 2017 at 20:12.
Old 20 Nov 2017, 01:54 (Ref:3781585)   #10
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mekola View Post
All three main Argentinian drivers in F1, Fangio, Froilan and Reutemann, all three had driven for Ferrari with decent results.
Is to note Reutemann did a decent 1978 season with the Scuderia, with four wins!
Scheckter was the 1979 WDC for Ferrari.

Could argue that Fangio never drove a Ferrari at all, but a Lancia with a Ferrari engine.
Old 20 Nov 2017, 02:59 (Ref:3781592)   #11
Mekola
Veteran

Kiribati
Atlantis
Mekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Fangio DID drive a Ferrari in 1949! The 166 F2, propierty by "Scuderia Achille Varzi"-meant the team backed by Argentine government of the time. And still had driven it, winning many F. Libre races up to 1952. With that car he won the first ever formula race at the opening of Buenos Aires autodrome, in March 9, 1952.

Last edited by Mekola; 20 Nov 2017 at 03:09.
Old 20 Nov 2017, 03:16 (Ref:3781596)   #12
Mekola
Veteran

Kiribati
Atlantis
Alas, Reutemann was the best non-Lotus driver of 1978 season, 3rd in the championship, four wins.
Old 21 Nov 2017, 16:23 (Ref:3781998)   #13
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
It is easy to make a case for Schumacher being the greatest Ferrari driver of all time. For years, no-one could touch him, and before that he performed miracles that others could not have. The Rat must rank high, likewise Il Leone and Big John.
Old 22 Nov 2017, 14:04 (Ref:3782193)   #14
Eric.D
Rookie

England
Bedfordshire
Eric.D should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mekola View Post
Fangio DID drive a Ferrari in 1949! The 166 F2, propierty by "Scuderia Achille Varzi"-meant the team backed by Argentine government of the time. And still had driven it, winning many F. Libre races up to 1952. With that car he won the first ever formula race at the opening of Buenos Aires autodrome, in March 9, 1952.
Nice to see a Post containing Historic racing knowledge on a historic racing forum.
Old 24 Nov 2017, 19:59 (Ref:3782691)   #15
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric.D View Post
Nice to see a Post containing Historic racing knowledge on a historic racing forum.
I'm not sure the forum is historic - just some of the posters....... (I feel that includes me too!).
Old 25 Nov 2017, 15:08 (Ref:3782914)   #16
Mekola
Veteran

Kiribati
Atlantis

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSchneiderFan View Post
It is easy to make a case for Schumacher being the greatest Ferrari driver of all time. For years, no-one could touch him, and before that he performed miracles that others could not have. The Rat must rank high, likewise Il Leone and Big John.
Ascari also must rank high, he also was (almost) unbeatable during his two championships with the Scuderia.
Old 26 Nov 2017, 19:19 (Ref:3783252)   #17
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
The Guardian is reporting Santander have decided not to renew is contract as title sponsors of Ferarri
https://www.theguardian.com/business...ce-formula-one
Old 26 Nov 2017, 22:48 (Ref:3783294)   #18
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT6 View Post
The Guardian is reporting Santander have decided not to renew is contract as title sponsors of Ferarri
https://www.theguardian.com/business...ce-formula-one
I wonder could they be going to a team with a Spanish driver?
Old 26 Nov 2017, 23:25 (Ref:3783306)   #19
Armco Bender
Llama Assassin and Sheep Botherer
Veteran

New Zealand
International Sheep Ambassador
Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!
I thought Phillip Morris was the primary sponsor,they pump in more money than Santanders did.?.
Old 27 Nov 2017, 08:45 (Ref:3783399)   #20
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armco Bender View Post
I thought Phillip Morris was the primary sponsor,they pump in more money than Santanders did.?.
I don't believe that as a tobacco company, Philip Morris, are permitted to be known as sponsors, and therefore their involvement is as an "investor".
Old 27 Nov 2017, 09:01 (Ref:3783401)   #21
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
I don't believe that as a tobacco company, Philip Morris, are permitted to be known as sponsors, and therefore their involvement is as an "investor".
On Ferrari's official website, they are listed under their Partners Section, as a 'Sponsor' at the top of the list. They don't appear on the home page though under the list of sponsors though.

Alfa Romeo are second, with Santander being third - so it would be wrong to refer to Santander as a title sponsor.
Old 27 Nov 2017, 09:54 (Ref:3783427)   #22
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
I noticed a four leaf clover logo on Vettel's overalls but there is only a small Alfa logo almost hidden on the engine cover of Ferrari. Santander is one of the most prominent names on the car.
Old 27 Nov 2017, 10:58 (Ref:3783443)   #23
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfhound View Post
I noticed a four leaf clover logo on Vettel's overalls but there is only a small Alfa logo almost hidden on the engine cover of Ferrari. Santander is one of the most prominent names on the car.
I agree that Santander appears to be the most prominent. It just seems strange the order of precedence given on their website, in placing them third.

I would imagine Philip Morris is the closest to a 'title' backer they have.
Old 27 Nov 2017, 10:58 (Ref:3783444)   #24
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
I see this as no big deal, Ferrari have more than enough to dosh to worry about sponsors
Old 27 Nov 2017, 11:52 (Ref:3783458)   #25
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
I have long wondered what Philip Morris gains from this partnership. As long as the Ferrari cars and team feature on TV programmes within the EU, no promotional material can be used, so how does Philip Morris benefit?

And how does Ferrari get away with claiming that Philip Morris are a sponsor, when the EU forbids it? And has been battling with Ferrari over the issue since at least 2007 !