Home Mobile Forum News Cookbook FaceBook Us T-Shirts etc.: Europe/Worldwide. eBay Motorsport Links Advertising  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 26 Jun 2019, 17:39 (Ref:3914307)   #61
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anyopenroad View Post
I suspect your final point is true.

The light doesn't convey any information, it is simply a blue beacon designed to warn the driver ahead that a much faster car is approaching.
Ah, Ok.

In both the in car videos (where it seemed to flash a lot) and the external shots they looked like panels that displayed characters that changed in some sort of cyclical fashion.

Might simply have been an effect of the video recording frame rate I suppose? But the changes as I perceived them (and assuming they exised!) certainly suggested that they were presenting some sort of information for use by someone.
Old 26 Jun 2019, 17:53 (Ref:3914309)   #62
Mike Bell
Race Official
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by grantp View Post
Ah, Ok.

In both the in car videos (where it seemed to flash a lot) and the external shots they looked like panels that displayed characters that changed in some sort of cyclical fashion.

Might simply have been an effect of the video recording frame rate I suppose? But the changes as I perceived them (and assuming they exised!) certainly suggested that they were presenting some sort of information for use by someone.
The panel cycles through driver name, class position and flashing light(s). I don’t think it hinders the driver, as it’s mounted flush against the screen, so there shouldn’t be any scatter. Let’s be honest, in this day and age, if there were any safety concerns it wouldn’t be there!
Old 3 Jul 2019, 08:22 (Ref:3915613)   #63
Simon Hadfield
Veteran

Simon Hadfield should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSimon Hadfield should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ok, so, having watched the replays of the Grand Prix at the weekend how would would you react when a kid in a Formula Ford in a club race does the same as Max Claire? Because the ISC which was used to ok this devolves to the MUK regulations. Can we miss the apex and push the other car off the road?

With your imaginary wall that could not have happened........
Old 3 Jul 2019, 09:55 (Ref:3915624)   #64
midgetman
Veteran

England
Rural Wiltshire
midgetman is going for a new lap record!midgetman is going for a new lap record!midgetman is going for a new lap record!midgetman is going for a new lap record!midgetman is going for a new lap record!midgetman is going for a new lap record!
With a wall or even grass there Leclerc would have lifted and undercut. Acres of tarmac? I'll just keep my foot in and see what happens.

That was a very common karting move, Charles was "podded" off.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Old 3 Jul 2019, 10:10 (Ref:3915628)   #65
Simon Hadfield
Veteran

Simon Hadfield should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSimon Hadfield should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So is “podding off” (ohh er missus) an accepted or acceptable move?
Old 3 Jul 2019, 10:28 (Ref:3915635)   #66
bauble
Veteran

England
Luton, which is nowhere near ,,,?
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Hadfield View Post
Seems to me it was less 'with in the rules', than having screwed one GP by penalising the winner, 'they' (whoever) could not do it again for fear of even more of an outcry. Or maybe it is Ferrariphobia a well know hate crime.

Viewing a lot of club racing thorough a camera lens, I have to say I do not see many instances of poor driving standards, at least in terms of aggressive behaviour. In terms of race craft …………………?
Old 3 Jul 2019, 10:34 (Ref:3915637)   #67
Gerard C
Veteran

Wallis & Futuna
Paris area
Gerard C should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Neither, nor I fear Simon. May be its common in modern racing, accepted or not, but should be banned in Historic imo. I guess we have some names…
Old 3 Jul 2019, 10:43 (Ref:3915640)   #68
Mike Bell
Race Official
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
I was going to ask on the F1 forum what would have happened had there been a wall on the outside of the corner, but difficult to get an objective discussion sometimes on there...

I agree with Max that Leclerc would have lifted and gone for the undercut, as the commentators love to call it nowadays. As for whether the MV move was legitimate or not, my guess is that in single seater club racing it wouldn’t have even been questioned? If I had been in Leclerc’s position, I would have lifted and tucked in, but I’m a long long way from that level of racing!
Old 3 Jul 2019, 11:40 (Ref:3915653)   #69
midgetman
Veteran

England
Rural Wiltshire
midgetman is going for a new lap record!midgetman is going for a new lap record!midgetman is going for a new lap record!midgetman is going for a new lap record!midgetman is going for a new lap record!midgetman is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
It's a fine art. Doing it while making it look as if the other driver was the aggressor is the skill. You must ALWAYS push your arm out straight with the palm up shouting "what the....."

The other bane of any karter's life is that oft-misquoted phrase from Senna:

"If you no longer go for a gap that exists you are no longer a racing driver. "

Everyone forgets the words "that exists!"

Old 3 Jul 2019, 13:01 (Ref:3915667)   #70
bauble
Veteran

England
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
[QUOTE=Mike Bell;3915640]I was going to ask on the F1 forum what would have happened had there been a wall on the outside of the corner, but difficult to get an objective discussion sometimes on there...

Mike! You must be a very brave man indeed to even consider venturing on to the F1Forum, and in any case the word 'wall' would have confused most of the posters there.
Old 3 Jul 2019, 13:48 (Ref:3915676)   #71
The Fat Clerk
Veteran

England
Mallory Park
The Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
It certainly is in Karting Simon, I see it every month when I'm Stewarding in England & Wales and am not expecting anything different @ Nutts Corner on Saturday. C'est la vie as they say in foreign parts.

If it's necessary or not is another matter, the BRSCC FFord race @ Mallory a few weeks ago involving yourself, your son, Peter Daly, Jack Wolfenden, Stuart Kestenbaum, Mark Bates et al was an absolute classic and had a worthy winner
Old 3 Jul 2019, 13:57 (Ref:3915678)   #72
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
There's a further issue here that helps confuse the situation. Motorbikes.

To stop cars using the kerbs what we need is big, uncomfortable ones that they'd rather keep off. Unfortunately bikers don't like them (for understandable reasons) so we have stupid flat ones which just become part of the track. And then FIA events allow them to use not just that but large parts of the run-off as well (I was track limits at WEC a while back, F3s were given to the edge of the green paint as a limit, about 3 car widths outside the track, and were also given three goes at it.

It should be the same as rugby. Touch the white line, take a driver through. End of. Possibly we could write a rule which allows for avoidance, but only if someone can come up with a way that it's not used as a loophole.
Old 3 Jul 2019, 14:14 (Ref:3915683)   #73
midgetman
Veteran

England
Rural Wiltshire
It's not only bikes, it's things like track days and corporate days. Driving skills (not standards) are *sometimes* lower and often drivers/operators don't like the thought of their cars clunking on a huge kerb. It's not for nothing that the Bedford Autodrome is the most liked corporate venue in the UK. With its billiard smooth grass you can push to the limit without risk of damage.

Old 3 Jul 2019, 14:38 (Ref:3915687)   #74
bauble
Veteran

England
Not my area of expertise, but I always think that an off track excursion of this nature should carry a penalty, perhaps 'run off' areas should be designed to slow a car down in some way, without causing a danger.
Some sort of surface that increases drag, the current smooth surface does nothing to deter it's use.

Where's me hat?
Old 3 Jul 2019, 16:07 (Ref:3915699)   #75
Mike Bell
Race Official
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by bauble View Post
Not my area of expertise, but I always think that an off track excursion of this nature should carry a penalty, perhaps 'run off' areas should be designed to slow a car down in some way, without causing a danger.
Some sort of surface that increases drag, the current smooth surface does nothing to deter it's use.

Where's me hat?
Well, Circuit Paul Ricard / Le Castellet has beaten you to it, Baub. The garish stripes outside the track are clever rather than pretty. (Definitely not pretty ) The blue stripes are more abrasive than the track, and the red stripes extremely abrasive- enough to damage your tyres if you’re not going in a straight line. All designed to slow an out of control car, rather than use gravel traps.....