Home Mobile Forum News Cookbook FaceBook Us T-Shirts etc.: Europe/Worldwide. eBay Motorsport Links Advertising  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 15 Jan 2020, 12:05 (Ref:3951736)   #271
steve nielsen
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam- Holland
steve nielsen should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.B View Post
Stats often shield the truth..... one of those 4th places Max was behind his teamate (Sainz) until Sainz had a car failure.
No he was NOT, in Hungary Sainz qualified 12th where Max qualified 9th, and Sainz retired on lap 60 when he was behind Max(Max just behind the lead group), at COTA Sainz finished 7th
Old 28 Jan 2020, 20:40 (Ref:3954282)   #272
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterelise View Post
The RIC decision from summer 2018 seems pretty straightforward to me. Justifiably thought Red Bull wouldn’t have a car capable of winning the championship, was feeling like RB wanted to focus on VES anyway, and there was one alternate seat available that paid top dollar (more than RB apparently) for two years until the next round of top drives came up for grabs. In addition, there was no doubt a hope that Renault got their act together and may themselves become a contender. Issue for him was/is to make sure that he was still viewed as a top driver by the time teams are signing drivers for 2021 in the event Renault were still mid-fielders.

He has one more year to prove he still has it. In my view he comfortably beat Hulk but the team bosses poll shows that despite that, his star has fallen a little. He will need to handle Ocon comfortably to be in with a shot for one of the top teams (or maybe Renault themselves can come good such that he wants to stay there). Even if he has a great year, my suspicion is that Mercedes will be more inclined to partner HAM with their next young star in RUS so the main seat for RIC is to hope Ferrari think they can have a better and more harmonious combination with RIC and LEC partnered than they have had with VET (and that is definitely my view - I think RIC is better than VET and his time with VES shows he can get along with a highly talented team mate). If OCO matches or beats RIC by the time 2021 seats are being signed, then RIC’s chances of a top drive would appear to be over.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Happy new year, everyone.

I think those are fair points. Ultimately, teams have data at their disposal to judge, but in Formula 1, you can quickly be forgotten as an upcoming star if you spend a time mired in the midfield. It is often all about perception and you go from being a "potential champion" to a "strong midfield driver', good on their day, like Hülkenberg may have become branded.
Old 28 Jan 2020, 20:49 (Ref:3954283)   #273
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin has a real shot at the championship!S griffin has a real shot at the championship!S griffin has a real shot at the championship!S griffin has a real shot at the championship!S griffin has a real shot at the championship!S griffin has a real shot at the championship!
Thanks BR. I think this could be a make or break year for some. Certainly there are some that have found themselves solidly in the midfield. They have been plenty that have looked good lower down the formulae that have been stuck in a rut. For me though Hulkenberg should have had a better opportunity, even if he wasn’t quite on a par with the best of them
Old 28 Jan 2020, 21:30 (Ref:3954288)   #274
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
Veteran

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
Max is of course good enough to go there but for my part, im taking Max's re-signing as confirmation that LH will be with Merc for a couple of more years.
If Hamilton wants to equal and beat Schumi's record of 7 WDCs, he needs to be with Merc for at least 2 years, or possibly more if he can't do it by 2021. However, if he does do it by 2021, that's when he might hang up his helmet and driving gloves.
Old 28 Jan 2020, 23:35 (Ref:3954304)   #275
Skam85
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
Skam85 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSkam85 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSkam85 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
If Hamilton wants to equal and beat Schumi's record of 7 WDCs, he needs to be with Merc for at least 2 years, or possibly more if he can't do it by 2021. However, if he does do it by 2021, that's when he might hang up his helmet and driving gloves.
Part of me thinks he's going to get caught up in the romance of beating Schumacher's WDC record in a Ferrari.
Old 29 Jan 2020, 00:14 (Ref:3954310)   #276
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebroadrun96 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebroadrun96 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebroadrun96 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebroadrun96 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebroadrun96 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebroadrun96 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebroadrun96 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebroadrun96 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebroadrun96 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skam85 View Post
Part of me thinks he's going to get caught up in the romance of beating Schumacher's WDC record in a Ferrari.
That would not surprise me at all, 7 with MB power and then want to get 8th in a Ferrari and drive off in to the sunset
It was fun while it lasted, have enjoyed the people I've met but the measuring contests and arguments over who's more insider and who's smarter has just made it not worth the effort any longer. It should be fun, not work and it's just work to find actual information.
Old 29 Jan 2020, 00:19 (Ref:3954312)   #277
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
Veteran

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
I suppose he could but he would be well out of his comfort zone, what with the 2021 car and the unfamiliarity of a new team.
Old 29 Jan 2020, 00:53 (Ref:3954317)   #278
Skam85
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
Skam85 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSkam85 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSkam85 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
I suppose he could but he would be well out of his comfort zone, what with the 2021 car and the unfamiliarity of a new team.
I'll be as diplomatic as I can by saying someone with Lewis' ....let's say 'confidence in self'... would back himself into winning it in a Ferrari.

Which will lead to a lot of very confused tifosi for a few races I'm sure!
Old 29 Jan 2020, 01:39 (Ref:3954321)   #279
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
Veteran

United States
London, England
Quote:
I'll be as diplomatic as I can by saying someone with Lewis' ....let's say 'confidence in self'... would back himself into winning it in a Ferrari.

Which will lead to a lot of very confused tifosi for a few races I'm sure!
He's got a better chance of that staying with Mercedes, particularly with the 2021 car. He will be with Mercedes from its inception. If he goes to Ferrari, he won't be.
Old 29 Jan 2020, 12:18 (Ref:3954387)   #280
Greem
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGreem will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGreem will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGreem will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGreem will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGreem will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGreem will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGreem will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGreem will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGreem will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGreem will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I've said it before and I'll say it again today: I just can't ever see Hamilton racing for the Red Team. It's way too much of a risk for both of them.

He's been with Mercedes in one form or another since he started climbing the ladder, whether in the McLaren driver development programme, with McLaren themselves, or with Mercedes F1. His time in F3 with Manor was with a Mercedes engine, his time in F3 with ASM/ART was with a Mercedes engine, in fact his only big-league year not with a Merc engine was his year in GP2 because the only engine supplier was Mecachrome. He was still aligned with Mercedes via his relationship with McLaren.

So I don't think Mercedes would let him, for one, and I would expect Ferrari would have to throw so much money at him to entice him across that they'd make a mess of their own finances. Unless Philip Morris want to splurge some hidden cash, of course...

Nope, just can't see it happening. There's too much in terms of reputation at stake for too many people.

Of course, if Mercedes were to stop racing altogether, it would be an open goal for Ferrari!
Old 29 Jan 2020, 15:10 (Ref:3954413)   #281
Richard Casto
Subscriber
Veteran

United States
Durham, NC, USA
Richard Casto will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameRichard Casto will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameRichard Casto will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameRichard Casto will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameRichard Casto will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameRichard Casto will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameRichard Casto will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameRichard Casto will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameRichard Casto will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameRichard Casto will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameRichard Casto will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greem View Post
Of course, if Mercedes were to stop racing altogether, it would be an open goal for Ferrari!
I can see the allure of winning for Ferrari, but I think he would have to be unhappy with or unable to race for Mercedes to jump ship. You hit one of the two. As to the other, I see no reason for him to be unhappy with his current situation.

Richard
Old 29 Jan 2020, 15:37 (Ref:3954423)   #282
Mike Bell
Race Official
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
History will eventually show that some of us were right, and some of us were wrong! I’m in the ‘never in a month of Sunday’s’ camp........
Old 29 Jan 2020, 15:48 (Ref:3954426)   #283
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famechillibowl will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famechillibowl will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famechillibowl will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famechillibowl will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famechillibowl will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famechillibowl will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famechillibowl will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famechillibowl will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famechillibowl will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
i feel as though Merc are about to offer him the most lucrative contract extension of all time.

but money aside, the biggest risk to LH in leaving Merc might just be that he will have to leave an open Merc seat behind.
Old 29 Jan 2020, 15:59 (Ref:3954428)   #284
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin has a real shot at the championship!S griffin has a real shot at the championship!S griffin has a real shot at the championship!S griffin has a real shot at the championship!S griffin has a real shot at the championship!S griffin has a real shot at the championship!
Merc will decide how much they need him. They need to start thinking of the future. There’s plenty out there who could lead the team to title glory
Old 29 Jan 2020, 16:17 (Ref:3954434)   #285
Greem
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGreem will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGreem will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGreem will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGreem will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGreem will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGreem will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGreem will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGreem will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGreem will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGreem will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
Merc will decide how much they need him. They need to start thinking of the future. There’s plenty out there who could lead the team to title glory
Go on then, I'll bite. Give us a decent reasoned argument as to exactly who these "plenty" are and how they might bring that glory along, because right now I can only really see two and they're completely embedded in the only two teams that are anywhere close to giving Mercedes a fight.