Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > National & International Single Seaters

Old 2 Apr 2002, 07:43 (Ref:249622)   #1
Sid The Manager
Racer

Sid The Manager should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
F3 driving standards

So already we have the pre season favourite, James Courtney, thinking he is Schumaker. I don't know if he is being protested, but the TV pictures for the second race at Brands yesterday clearly showed Courtney chopping Kerr twice and hitting him twice before the first corner, lifting off mid corner to make Kerr brake, weaving 5 times down one straight and "brake testing" him towards the end of the race.
We can only presume being totally outclassed by Kerr has got him rattled.

I think the stewards should do something sooner rather than later to show that it is not acceptable.
Old 2 Apr 2002, 08:25 (Ref:249654)   #2
paulzinho
Veteran

Brazil
Larkfield, Kent, UK
paulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpaulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Which TV pictures?
Old 2 Apr 2002, 08:57 (Ref:249663)   #3
Sid The Manager
Racer

There were some TV monitors showing a live feed on the pitwall. Courtney was scary.
Old 2 Apr 2002, 09:13 (Ref:249666)   #4
pitbit
Rookie

pitbit should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Re: F3 driving standards

Quote:
Originally posted by Sid The Manager
for the second race at Brands yesterday clearly showed Courtney chopping Kerr twice and hitting him twice before the first corner, lifting off mid corner to make Kerr brake, weaving 5 times down one straight and "brake testing" him towards the end of the race.
We can only presume being totally outclassed by Kerr has got him rattled.
The view from Paddock Hill grandstand showed how dirty Courtney drove off the start, he should have had a penalty!

I think Courtney has got a lot to worry about with Kerr. I couldn't believe Courtney throwing it off in the 1st race trying to keep up.
Old 2 Apr 2002, 09:18 (Ref:249667)   #5
Francesca
Veteran

Ajman
Hampshire
Francesca should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Listening to the commentator on Tocatour radio - he was disgusted by Courntey's 'weaving' and fully expected him to be penalised for it.
Old 2 Apr 2002, 09:18 (Ref:249668)   #6
rlinter
Racer

rlinter should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Sid The Manager
There were some TV monitors showing a live feed on the pitwall. Courtney was scary.
Those of us who are members of the 4th estate also saw the pic and were not impressed.

Even the Commentary team picked up on the cooper straight change of direction debarcle.

Courtney's driving was a disgrace - I for one have always said they he didn't have the head to cope with the preasure and would crack - But I must admit I was expecting him to crack in the season but obviously he I even more unstable that I was lead to believe.

On the bright side - Well done Bruce Jouanny!!!!

Noel
Old 2 Apr 2002, 09:26 (Ref:249674)   #7
Francesca
Veteran

Ajman
Hampshire
Quote:
Originally posted by rlinter

Courtney's driving was a disgrace - I for one have always said they he didn't have the head to cope with the preasure and would crack - But I must admit I was expecting him to crack in the season but obviously he I even more unstable that I was lead to believe.
I'm not sure I'd say Courtney has 'cracked' - that's a little dramatic...but it did sound like he did a few, shall we say 'over-defensive' moves.

Last edited by Francesca; 2 Apr 2002 at 09:27.
Old 2 Apr 2002, 09:33 (Ref:249679)   #8
rlinter
Racer

Quote:
Originally posted by Francesca
I'm not sure I'd say Courtney has 'cracked' - that's a little dramatic...but it did sound like he did a few, shall we say 'over-defensive' moves.
I would have to disagree with you there - Look at the start - Skippy was so worried about Kerr getting past he had forgotten about Bruce and let him fly through the INSIDE an error of Rookie Proportions.

The 'over defensive' tactics could easily have resulted in both of them on the kitty litter - again signs of a driver under immense amounts of preasure. It is not as if he was defending the lead!
Old 2 Apr 2002, 09:43 (Ref:249682)   #9
Francesca
Veteran

Ajman
Hampshire
It's just a shame the race had to be re-started - Robbie would have won otherwise and Courtney would've probably landed up 3rd.
Old 2 Apr 2002, 09:50 (Ref:249686)   #10
Sid The Manager
Racer

Quite agree, that would have added a bit more to the history that Robbie made on Sunday.
No scholarship winner has ever won a main championship race before!
Robbie ia also the first British championship leader since Hynes.

We really need to get some BRITISH support going for Robbie!
Old 2 Apr 2002, 10:31 (Ref:249720)   #11
Francesca
Veteran

Ajman
Hampshire
Well sort that fan club out for a start then Sid!

Now's the time.

Oh and Robbie needs to get along to some more functions...will he be attending the Queen Mum's funeral next week?
Old 2 Apr 2002, 10:35 (Ref:249724)   #12
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
any support is good support, sid, i'm sure you're aware of that...

hey, some of us can't support everyone you know...

but on the original topic, i suspect that james is under a lot of pressure, and when you're under a lot of pressure, especially from yourself what do you do? you make mistakes...
Old 2 Apr 2002, 13:59 (Ref:249931)   #13
BennyBoy1978
Veteran

England
Sydney
BennyBoy1978 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Totally agree with Bella although I'm a newish fan to f3 (sorry it took so long) I remember watching courtney at FF festival when he had a good couple of rounds but I belive he was one of the favorites to win then as well so may he just doesn't like the pressure (I know I wouldn't). I recall he made a bit of a lunge towards the end on mark taylor that took them both off!
But to be honest whats the deal with this country (england) we make people out to be favorites and everything and then after one weekend we take a big old gun and shoot them down from the high position we put them in the 1st place.
He may not be english but he gets my vote if he can keep his cool he should win the championship!
Old 2 Apr 2002, 14:56 (Ref:249963)   #14
Sid The Manager
Racer

Bennyboy

My point was more the fact that Courtney had been built up pre season to the extent that nobody was expected to get near him. Why can't we get behind Robbie, who is British, struggles for budget (Courtney has no problems, paid for by Jag) and has still managed to win 4 championships in the last 5 or so years.

Lets get a bit of flag waving going!
Old 2 Apr 2002, 15:10 (Ref:249972)   #15
BennyBoy1978
Veteran

England
Sydney
I'm not saying I won't get behind Robbie for sure his a good driver and it would be nice to see him win the title, but I'd have to give the nod to Courtney.

And as you say he was built up to the extent of that nobody was going to touch him, but thats not his fault is it thats down to the boys in the press.
Old 2 Apr 2002, 15:34 (Ref:249982)   #16
pitpopsie
Racer

United Kingdom
Indiana
pitpopsie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Courtney wasnt the only one driving dirty!! anyone notice Ernani???
Old 2 Apr 2002, 15:40 (Ref:249986)   #17
rlinter
Racer

As a bonefide member of the Press Corp - I can assure you that 95% of the hype around skippy was generated by either the Alan Gow or Carlin organisations.

And lets face it the paper motorsport press as it is (ie Autosnort & Motorsnort news) are not exactly reknowned for the objective journolistic style. So they print what ever they percieve to be the facts based on the average of 5 press releases a week that they recieved for the last month or so. Everytime Skippy blew his nose his PR machine went in to over drive.

On the other hand Robbie's preseason PR has been delibrately subdued and look at the results.

Go Robbie...
Old 2 Apr 2002, 15:56 (Ref:250002)   #18
BennyBoy1978
Veteran

England
Sydney
May be its just me but did they ever come straight out and say oh we can win every race, I think even Trevor Carlin said that they'd be lucky if they got a carlin 1,2,3 so surely you can't blame the driver for what the PR boys do, which backs up the point that bella made earlier his under alot of pressure to performe so his going to make a few mistakes.
I don't even race in the media spotlight but if someone tells me I should be in the top 3 I think oh **** well if thats what people think then thats what I have to do and I make mistakes
If people let him get on with his job rather then saying he should be doing this he should be doing that I'm sure he'll do well, James knows what he has to do and like any racer he wants to win and after only one round its still abit early to tell. But if this weekends anything to go by its gonna be a fight to the finish.

But this has swayed off the orginal point I didn't see any thing with regards to driving standards so I can't comment on that situation (didn't have a tv) but for sure it looked a little hairy coming into paddock

Just out of curiosity is it worth taking a little hand held TV to donington?
Old 2 Apr 2002, 16:10 (Ref:250023)   #19
Mr Hahn
Racer

Mr Hahn should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I seem to remember reading that James said he didn't feel any extra pressure (from the press build up) this year, as he always puts pressure on himself.
Old 2 Apr 2002, 16:16 (Ref:250030)   #20
rlinter
Racer

Quote:
Originally posted by BennyBoy1978
May be its just me but did they ever come straight out and say oh we can win every race, I think even Trevor Carlin said that they'd be lucky if they got a carlin 1,2,3 so surely you can't blame the driver for what the PR boys do, which backs up the point that bella made earlier his under alot of pressure to performe so his going to make a few mistakes.
The PR guys work for the driver as technically do the team. Therefore a driver (or at least his management) should be involved with all publicity. PR coming out of the Skippy count used terms like 'Unstopable' and 'Champion Elect' etc. I have even had word on the grapevine that once of his sponsors was promised he would wipe the floor with the opposition.

Quote:

I don't even race in the media spotlight but if someone tells me I should be in the top 3 I think oh **** well if thats what people think then thats what I have to do and I make mistakes
Precisely - The media frenzy round Courtney was huge (by F3 Standards) going into the 1st round based largely on the Hype and Kerr had been all but written off.

Quote:

If people let him get on with his job rather then saying he should be doing this he should be doing that I'm sure he'll do well, James knows what he has to do and like any racer he wants to win and after only one round its still abit early to tell. But if this weekends anything to go by its gonna be a fight to the finish.
It is 2 rounds actually but I that is a common misconception. I am convinced that James will show the occasional flash of brillance but a future champ.... Nah.

Quote:

Just out of curiosity is it worth taking a little hand held TV to donington?
Maybe but it all depends on how they do the TV if they do it as Live then yep but if they do what they did last year and put it all to tape then cut it later then no.
Old 2 Apr 2002, 16:31 (Ref:250056)   #21
BennyBoy1978
Veteran

England
Sydney
ok all fair points but didn't they say all the same things last year about sato and he won the championship.
Old 2 Apr 2002, 16:34 (Ref:250061)   #22
BennyBoy1978
Veteran

England
Sydney
also just to add I assume I have **** in my text due to language just like to make a quick apologie I guess I have the typing version of turrets
Old 2 Apr 2002, 16:44 (Ref:250076)   #23
rlinter
Racer

Quote:
Originally posted by BennyBoy1978
ok all fair points but didn't they say all the same things last year about sato and he won the championship.
Yep but Sato had a sorted and many say 'trick' car, with all the teams working with what is ineffect an all new car then that should level the playing field.
Old 2 Apr 2002, 17:02 (Ref:250093)   #24
formula3fan
Rookie

formula3fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think sid the manager forgot to tell us that he manages some of the F3 drivers, and so he opionions are still very biased!
Old 2 Apr 2002, 17:28 (Ref:250113)   #25
Francesca
Veteran

Ajman
Hampshire
Isn't everyone's opinion slightly biased in some respects?