Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Closed Thread

Old 21 Jun 2008, 15:09 (Ref:2234127)   #1
Down F0rce
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Down F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Five place penalty for Kovalainen

Deemed to have impeded Mark Webber.

http://www.grandprix.com/ns/ns20502.html
Old 21 Jun 2008, 15:09 (Ref:2234128)   #2
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
It's almost becoming tedious now isn't it?
Old 21 Jun 2008, 15:16 (Ref:2234132)   #3
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Webber lost nothing because he'd already done his lap. No practical reason to issue a penalty. I wonder how much Bernie's wife will give for this one?
Old 21 Jun 2008, 16:41 (Ref:2234160)   #4
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BootsOntheSide
Webber lost nothing because he'd already done his lap. No practical reason to issue a penalty.
Indeed.

Anyone would think that someone had it in for McLaren...
Old 21 Jun 2008, 17:02 (Ref:2234165)   #5
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Love this quote from Grandprix.com

"This means that he will start 10th, unless there are other penalties between now and the start of the race."

Last edited by Marbot; 21 Jun 2008 at 17:04.
Old 21 Jun 2008, 17:03 (Ref:2234166)   #6
paddy
Veteran

England
Nottingham
paddy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridpaddy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I did notice that Kimi was driving slowly down the back straight on the racing line during quali. I can't remember whose on board we were watching at the time, but he had to go off line to pass the Ferrari. I thought that this was now unacceptable? No penalty there though.
Old 21 Jun 2008, 17:05 (Ref:2234168)   #7
Hazard
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Hazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by BootsOntheSide
Webber lost nothing because he'd already done his lap. No practical reason to issue a penalty. I wonder how much Bernie's wife will give for this one?
That's verbatim what James Allen said but that was totally wrong.
Old 21 Jun 2008, 17:06 (Ref:2234169)   #8
Alan Raine
Veteran

England
Hale, Cheshire
Alan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Total rubbish.

All these penalties are taking the pee out of car racing!!!!!!!!!!

Might just watch Moto GP tomorrow instead
Old 21 Jun 2008, 17:08 (Ref:2234172)   #9
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I seen this penalty coming a mile off.
Old 21 Jun 2008, 17:12 (Ref:2234177)   #10
Hazard
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Hazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by touringlegend
Do you know why you did?

Because it was warranted

An unfair penalty will be one that no one saw coming.
Old 21 Jun 2008, 17:13 (Ref:2234178)   #11
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by touringlegend
Is it you that's sitting on the hillside with the binoculars?
Old 21 Jun 2008, 17:19 (Ref:2234186)   #12
Ultimo
Veteran

Ultimo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridUltimo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have thought about it, and I'm pretty sure this should be a penalty.

It shouldn't make a difference whether it mattered to Webber or not - what if he had been out and needed a hot lap or there were others that could bump him?

Wouldn't the real nitpicking be if the stewards started to see if it was penalty or not based on if there were others at the end of the session that could have possibly eclipsed Mark's laptime?

Are they gonna write the rules so that you can impede someone while they are on a hot lap if it doesn't matter to them? Is this not a safety hazard?

Was Heikki's laptime within the 107% laptime?

Heikki made an error and did something he surely knew would get penalized for and has now received a penalty.

Not open and shut, but still the right choice I'd say.
Old 21 Jun 2008, 17:26 (Ref:2234191)   #13
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
There's no doubt that Webber was impeded,but what the hell was Heikki supposed to do?

Looking forward to Silverstone and both McLaren's getting five place grid penalties because their cars are too 'silvery'.
Old 21 Jun 2008, 17:30 (Ref:2234195)   #14
Pingguest
Veteran

Netherlands
Heemstede, The Netherlands
Pingguest should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This is ridiculous. Traffic is just a part of the job. With this sort of actions the FIA take more and more the purity and natural flow out of the sport.
Old 21 Jun 2008, 17:36 (Ref:2234200)   #15
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid

It is starting to become a joke.
Old 21 Jun 2008, 17:37 (Ref:2234201)   #16
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Yes, the amount of times people blocked in qualifying (accidentally or not) in the past you'd need a book to list them. To list the punishments, however, would require no ink.

Still, we are in the age of "every minute incident must be punished so we are seen to be doing something and placating the dullwitted simpletons" decisions, so it goes with the territory I suppose. Sad but inevitable.

Whatever next I wonder?
Old 21 Jun 2008, 17:44 (Ref:2234205)   #17
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Considering Webber even made it to Q3 i don't understand why the stewards even needed to get involved.
Old 21 Jun 2008, 17:46 (Ref:2234207)   #18
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Because it was a McLaren?
Old 21 Jun 2008, 17:48 (Ref:2234212)   #19
Clunk or Zilly
Rookie

Scotland
Mornington Crescent
Clunk or Zilly should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It all became a joke a long time ago.
Given the options that HK had open too him, I think he made the best possible effort to get out of Webber's way.
Whatever became of the team skill of putting your car into a gap in traffic to give you the clearest run available.
Now the car in front is to blame and takes the penalty.
Fiddled It Again.
Old 21 Jun 2008, 17:54 (Ref:2234214)   #20
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowlesy

Whatever next I wonder?
McLaren get further five place grid penalty penalties for accumulating too many penalties.
Old 21 Jun 2008, 17:57 (Ref:2234215)   #21
doug911
Racer

United Kingdom
York
doug911 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marbot
There's no doubt that Webber was impeded,but what the hell was Heikki supposed to do?

Looking forward to Silverstone and both McLaren's getting five place grid penalties because their cars are too 'silvery'.
Or if they end up on the front row they'll be penalised for not being red enough
Old 21 Jun 2008, 18:05 (Ref:2234222)   #22
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
duke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridduke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Yet more lunacy from Ferrari International Assistance ...
Old 21 Jun 2008, 18:09 (Ref:2234225)   #23
Hazard
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
I'll do a knowlesy here...

*yawn*

He impeded a driver in qualifying, the precedent has been set - you get a penalty. He didn't mean to, but that doesn't matter.
Old 21 Jun 2008, 18:13 (Ref:2234229)   #24
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Kovalainen was on the outside of the corner going round it. Whats he meant to do, either stop on track, or drive off it to let the other guy through?
Old 21 Jun 2008, 18:24 (Ref:2234232)   #25
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Dare I say this penalty is complete nonsense..What are these chaps supposed to do?
Closed Thread