Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 29 Mar 2018, 09:44 (Ref:3811713)   #3501
BobJones
Veteran

BobJones should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craner Curves View Post
Snett clashes with Super GT in Thailand
Ha, that's spoilt all the fun!
Old 29 Mar 2018, 09:48 (Ref:3811715)   #3502
BobJones
Veteran

Everyone at Brands today for a collective pre-season test. Here's the timing. http://livetiming.tsl-timing.com/181342

Cook currently fastest but not near the pole time from last season.
Old 29 Mar 2018, 09:49 (Ref:3811716)   #3503
Craner Curves
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kelso
Craner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobJones View Post
Ha, that's spoilt all the fun!
Hartley or Ghasly available?
Old 29 Mar 2018, 09:53 (Ref:3811718)   #3504
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
That's one heck of a splitter.

In the end, the sills are much slimmer than other cars. Overall, some strange and trick aero details.

Trackside at Brands it looks huge compared to the other cars. Also looks to have less ground clearance (but that could be braking heavier into paddock).
Old 29 Mar 2018, 10:08 (Ref:3811720)   #3505
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
The placement of the Dunlop stickers on the Civics of Norlin and Eurotech caught my eye. The difference suggests that Norlin are running the TD variant of ducting at the bottom of the bumper, whereas Eurotech have a different approach?

I would have thought - given the links in the past - that they would follow TD's design?
Old 29 Mar 2018, 10:10 (Ref:3811722)   #3506
antnee
Veteran

antnee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridantnee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Snett clashes with Super GT in Thailand
Whats the time difference? Could a quick plane get him there in time?
Old 29 Mar 2018, 10:21 (Ref:3811727)   #3507
BLiTZ
Racer

United Kingdom
BLiTZ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
The placement of the Dunlop stickers on the Civics of Norlin and Eurotech caught my eye. The difference suggests that Norlin are running the TD variant of ducting at the bottom of the bumper, whereas Eurotech have a different approach?

I would have thought - given the links in the past - that they would follow TD's design?
They've always had their own take on things. They were running different bonnet vents last year compared to the TD cars.
Old 29 Mar 2018, 10:33 (Ref:3811729)   #3508
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Looks like Norlin are running the same bumper/vent as last year's Dynamics cars, which makes sense as they are using last year's Dynamics cars. Eurotech are using the same set-up as they used last year.

Did Eurotech use that duct/vent set-up last year as they were running the Swindon engine, which will have a different requirement to the Neil Brown engine?

However, just to shoot my own argument down, Eurotech are now using Neil Brown engines so would have expected them to use the Dynamics set-up, and Norlin are suing the Swindon engines so need the Eurotech set-up.
Old 29 Mar 2018, 12:12 (Ref:3811743)   #3509
gregc
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bedford
gregc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgregc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Re. the Honda splitter - just been having a look at my photos, and the size of the 'extra' splitter is the same as the other cars in terms of how far it protrudes in front of the original bodywork. It just looks massive because the Civic already has it's own one as part of the shell.

Old 29 Mar 2018, 12:27 (Ref:3811745)   #3510
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Smith - understandably - not testing.

No Alfa though?
Old 29 Mar 2018, 12:28 (Ref:3811746)   #3511
RS67
Veteran

RS67 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Everyone at Brands today for a collective pre-season test. Here's the timing. http://livetiming.tsl-timing.com/181342

Cook currently fastest but not near the pole time from last season.
Only 30 cars hit the track this morning. No sign of Rob Austin, haven't worked out who else is missing.
Old 29 Mar 2018, 12:31 (Ref:3811747)   #3512
Robin Marriott
Veteran

Robin Marriott should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

The Norlin cars and the Eurotech cars have exactly the same bumper. Norlin have cut two circular holes in the ‘foglight’ area presumably for brake ducts, if Eurotech’s are anything like they were last year, the brake ducts are behind the main lower grille.

Looking at last year’s Dynamics car, they had a flat blank where the fog lights would be, the same as Eurotech do this year.

Most of the air from the lower grille is ducted through the radiator then up through the intercooler, so Norlin MAY have a slight advantage there as they’re not stealing some air from there for the brakes...
Old 29 Mar 2018, 12:35 (Ref:3811749)   #3513
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Marriott View Post
The Norlin cars and the Eurotech cars have exactly the same bumper. Norlin have cut two circular holes in the ‘foglight’ area presumably for brake ducts, if Eurotech’s are anything like they were last year, the brake ducts are behind the main lower grille.

Looking at last year’s Dynamics car, they had a flat blank where the fog lights would be, the same as Eurotech do this year.

Most of the air from the lower grille is ducted through the radiator then up through the intercooler, so Norlin MAY have a slight advantage there as they’re not stealing some air from there for the brakes...
Are you sure it's that way around? Usually the air goes through the (cooler) intercooler first...
Old 29 Mar 2018, 14:33 (Ref:3811751)   #3514
Robin Marriott
Veteran

Robin Marriott should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
On the Eurotech cars the intercooler is at the top, like the picture in this (old but relevant) article http://www.speedhunters.com/2012/10/btcc-2/

Edit - though this may have changed with the Honda engine over the TOCA one.
Old 29 Mar 2018, 15:05 (Ref:3811762)   #3515
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
On the Eurotech cars the intercooler is at the top, like the picture in this (old but relevant) article http://www.speedhunters.com/2012/10/btcc-2/

Edit - though this may have changed with the Honda engine over the TOCA one.
OK Robin, thanks for that. I'd assume though that there will be a split feed so some of the air goes (directly) the the water radiator, the rest (directly) to the intercooler. Otherwise the air exiting the radiator would actually warm up the incoming air through the intercooler.
Old 29 Mar 2018, 15:24 (Ref:3811765)   #3516
BobJones
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RS67 View Post
Only 30 cars hit the track this morning. No sign of Rob Austin, haven't worked out who else is missing.
I make it 23 from the timing. Unless someone ran without responders or something strange like that.

Smith, Austin, all three Subarus, all four VWs absent.
Old 29 Mar 2018, 15:29 (Ref:3811766)   #3517
Craner Curves
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kelso
Craner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
I make it 23 from the timing. Unless someone ran without responders or something strange like that.

30 cars were in session 1. Austin and Brett Smith were absent. Check out the pdf on the tsl page for the test.
Old 29 Mar 2018, 16:31 (Ref:3811776)   #3518
BobJones
Veteran

Quote:
30 cars were in session 1. Austin and Brett Smith were absent. Check out the pdf on the tsl page for the test.
Ah cheers, was looking at the 'live' website results from the afternoon.
Old 29 Mar 2018, 21:15 (Ref:3811816)   #3519
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:

With the weather, a lot of teams decided to run less in the afternoon due to the risk of damage.
Old 29 Mar 2018, 21:19 (Ref:3811819)   #3520
luckn002
Veteran

England
South England
luckn002 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Apologies if I'm a little too eager, but is the Annual Prediciton game happening this year...?
Old 29 Mar 2018, 21:21 (Ref:3811820)   #3521
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:

They had holes in the bumper - as shown on Simpson's car below. This is also present on the Norlin cars this year.

Old 29 Mar 2018, 22:20 (Ref:3811829)   #3522
3marinadrive
Rookie

3marinadrive should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
JST 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckn002 View Post
Think the changes to the JST will see a great improvement. Should be really close between Hill, Bushell, Thompson, Cammish and Proctor.

Proctor not eligible as he won it last year;

JST for 2018;

Cammish
Jackson
Smelt
Oliphant
Butcher
Caine
Thompson
Bushell
Hill
Smiley
Smith
Simpson
Price
Old 30 Mar 2018, 19:30 (Ref:3812009)   #3523
RS67
Veteran

RS67 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
With the weather, a lot of teams decided to run less in the afternoon due to the risk of damage.
The Subarus didn't come out in the morning until it started raining. Bit of an odd move. Track was wet but not raining when the afternoon session started. No idea what the weather did after 2:30 as I had left.

Perhaps Subaru were given half their days testing fee back and asked not to go out in the afternoon, just like the bloke the previous day who had gone on a track day in his works van.
Old 31 Mar 2018, 11:16 (Ref:3812104)   #3524
AmD Tuning
Rookie

AmD Tuning should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Wonder if any of the posters on here, who seemed to go out of there way to criticise our BTCC MG programme over the winter, will have the balls to say something positive now that we've presented well prepared cars, good drivers and Top 10 pace? Doubt it.

We can't guarantee the results but I suppose if it was easy everyone would be doing it?!

Cheers Shaun
Old 31 Mar 2018, 11:33 (Ref:3812106)   #3525
850Estate
Veteran

Sweden
GBR/SWE
850Estate should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmD Tuning View Post
Wonder if any of the posters on here, who seemed to go out of there way to criticise our BTCC MG programme over the winter, will have the balls to say something positive now that we've presented well prepared cars, good drivers and Top 10 pace? Doubt it.

We can't guarantee the results but I suppose if it was easy everyone would be doing it?!

Cheers Shaun
You can't?

Pffftt, what sort of team are you?

All the best Shaun - good to see Mr Boardman back in the series.