Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 13 May 2018, 00:35 (Ref:3821925)   #1
kramer
Racer

kramer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The Kid Retires

https://myaccount.news.com.au/sites/...n&v21suffix=pn

Crap. Won't copy.
Old 13 May 2018, 00:37 (Ref:3821926)   #2
kramer
Racer

kramer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/mo...d933613723c4a3
Old 13 May 2018, 00:52 (Ref:3821928)   #3
Driver TBA
Veteran

Driver TBA should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
No paywall with this one.

https://www.sbs.com.au/news/lowndes-...driving-future

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
Old 13 May 2018, 04:12 (Ref:3821943)   #4
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Lowndes dismisses Supercars retirement claims
Old 13 May 2018, 04:27 (Ref:3821945)   #5
Kingair
Veteran

Kingair should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridKingair should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Better still when will Mr Phelps retire?

Bring back The Truth newspaper.
Old 13 May 2018, 04:35 (Ref:3821946)   #6
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingair View Post

Better late then never.

I'll believe Lowndes retiring when I hear it from his own mouth. Until then its everyone else scrabbling to make a headline out something that probably will happen in the future but they have no idea when. Only CL knows
Old 13 May 2018, 04:37 (Ref:3821947)   #7
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
So James "I'm not a dribbling idiot, I just look like one" Phelps strikes again?

Even if the story was true, shows a complete lack of respect to not allow Craig to announce it himself.

Amazing that this "journalist" gets it wrong so many times and yet still has a gig.
Old 13 May 2018, 04:42 (Ref:3821948)   #8
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
i fill like we have heard this before

But i also feel james Phelps announces something, party denies it. Happens anyway
Old 13 May 2018, 05:08 (Ref:3821950)   #9
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by peckstar View Post

But i also feel james Phelps announces something, party denies it. Happens anyway

That’s happened I think once hasn’t it? Even a broken clock is right twice a day.

Definitely a possibility that Craig might stop full time in the timeframe so could go either way & like I say, even if true, shows a massive lack of respect.
Old 13 May 2018, 05:23 (Ref:3821951)   #10
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourer View Post
That’s happened I think once hasn’t it? Even a broken clock is right twice a day.

Definitely a possibility that Craig might stop full time in the timeframe so could go either way & like I say, even if true, shows a massive lack of respect.
Mustang was a pretty big once
Old 13 May 2018, 06:21 (Ref:3821956)   #11
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Quote:
Mustang was a pretty big once

For sure - depending of course when he did the article, may have just been the same as Fogarty breaking an embargo.
Old 13 May 2018, 07:32 (Ref:3821964)   #12
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
What chance 888 are/were looking to put together a 2019 retirement tour for Mr Lowndes, and Mr Phelps let the cat out of the bag early?

Stranger things have happened...

Can Simona hang on in the krate for another year, that is the real question...
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 13 May 2018, 08:07 (Ref:3821975)   #13
Forda
Veteran

Forda should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/mo...d933613723c4a3

Supercars great Craig Lowndes to retire as full-time driver at end of next year

JAMES PHELPS, The Sunday Telegraph
May 12, 2018 5:34pm

Subscriber only

THE chequered flag will drop on one of Australia’s greatest motor racing careers at the end of next year with Craig Lowndes revealing he will retire as a full-time driver

The most popular driver since Peter Brock and an undisputed legend of the sport, Lowndes, 43, declared he would become solely an endurance round driver in 2020 in a move that will mark the end of a V8 era.
The Holden immortal revealed his retirement plan when asked about the prospect of extending his race start record to 700.
“I didn’t think I would have had a career as long as this,’’ said Lowndes, whose contract with Triple Eight Race Engineering expires in 2019.
“And I didn’t ever think I would achieve a number like that. But hopefully I get this year and next year (as a full-time driver) and then we might get to 700.’’
The three-time champion will next week become the first driver to reach 650 race starts when he races at the Winton SuperSprint in Victoria, beginning on Friday.

Holden driver Craig Lowndes celebrates winning race 2 in Tasmania last month.

Debuting with the Holden Racing Team as a full-time driver in 1996 when he was 22, Lowndes will end his championship career on 698 races should he retire next year.
Set to continue as an endurance only driver, Lowndes is likely to rack up his 700th race start at Bathurst in 2020.
“There will be another 31 starts next year,’’ Lowndes said
“So we will go close to achieving that milestone. Hopefully it becomes a reality because once I finish the main game side of it. I will go into the enduros and that will still give me a chance to accumulate.
“It would be nice to be in the 700 bracket by the end of my career.’’
But right now Lowndes is not thinking about milestones.
Sitting fourth in the championship standings, the Autobarn racer is out to continue his solid season start as he vies to becomes a four times Supercars champion.
“It is a big number and I think it will become more apparent as to what it represents as I get closer to hanging up my helmet,’’ Lowndes said.

“It is really just a number right now but it is great that I have had a career in Supercars that looks like it will be long enough to do that.’’
Lowndes kept himself in contention to break his 19-year championship drought last round when he went from 25th to third to pull off one of his greatest rescue missions.
Lowndes stormed through the Perth field to claim the stunning podium after starting on the last row of the grid.

Craig Lowndes pictured at Bathurst in 1995, the year before he became a full-time driver.

The six-time Bathurst 1000 winner is out to continue his charge at Winton this week.
“Winton is a great track for me,’’ Lowndes said.
“It was my home track while I was growing up so it has always been a special place. It was my club track in Formula Ford and I was lucky enough to win that championship there.
“I have also done go-kart races there and production class races there so I have so many found memories of the place.’’
Old 13 May 2018, 09:54 (Ref:3822001)   #14
Average Punter
Veteran

Australia
a drug store in Wagga
Average Punter should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAverage Punter should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAverage Punter should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingair View Post

Reminds me of an interview I once saw with Mark Day, co-owner of The Truth.

When asked why he called the paper "The Truth" he replied "if I called it absolute bulls***, nobody would buy it..."
Punters Beer Fest. Indy 02, Clipsal 03, Winton 04, Paperclip 05, Darwin 06, Oran Park 07, Phillip Island 08, Sandown 09, Townsville 10, Symmons 11, Eastern Creek 12, Winton 13. Townsville 14. Paperclip 15, Sandown 16, Symmons 17, PI 18, The Bend 19
Old 13 May 2018, 13:01 (Ref:3822079)   #15
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Thanks Forda for posting that - couldn't see behind the pay wall before that.

Sounds like Mr Phelps has simply taken CL's comments re the length of his current contract and number of races in that period and turned that into a retirement announcement.

Hmmm - sounds more like adding 2 + 2 and getting 63 to me.
Old 13 May 2018, 23:43 (Ref:3822223)   #16
Axeman444
Veteran

Australia
Calling a spade a spade...
Axeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAxeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Mr Lowndes' rebuff saying he hasn't even spoken to Phelps. How is he still employed? Can only be for clickbait worthiness
Old 14 May 2018, 00:02 (Ref:3822227)   #17
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axeman444 View Post
Mr Lowndes' rebuff saying he hasn't even spoken to Phelps. How is he still employed? Can only be for clickbait worthiness
But yet there was quotes from Lowndes
Old 14 May 2018, 01:04 (Ref:3822235)   #18
Axeman444
Veteran

Australia
Calling a spade a spade...
Axeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAxeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
So one of them is lying then
Old 14 May 2018, 02:02 (Ref:3822239)   #19
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axeman444 View Post
So one of them is lying then
I guess we will know in 18 months
Old 14 May 2018, 08:57 (Ref:3822283)   #20
one five five
Veteran

one five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridone five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I thought the quotes sounded like they were from a press conference after a session, perhaps conducted at Barbagallo?
Old 14 May 2018, 11:09 (Ref:3822300)   #21
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Quote:
Originally Posted by one five five View Post
I thought the quotes sounded like they were from a press conference after a session, perhaps conducted at Barbagallo?
Yeah, sounded that way to me as well.

I reckon Mr Phelps has over-extended beyond all his previous over-extensions on this one.
Old 14 May 2018, 23:50 (Ref:3822465)   #22
Razor
10-10ths official Trekkie
Veteran

Australia
Behind the wheel
Razor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Hearing from the Lowndes family that there might be lawyers involved over this. This isn't the first time Mr. Phelps has dragged Craig's name through the proverbial mud. (Anyone remember the article about Craig's family dramas that Mr. Phelps penned?)
Old 15 May 2018, 00:49 (Ref:3822478)   #23
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor View Post
Hearing from the Lowndes family that there might be lawyers involved over this. This isn't the first time Mr. Phelps has dragged Craig's name through the proverbial mud. (Anyone remember the article about Craig's family dramas that Mr. Phelps penned?)
Mr Phelps arguably isn’t saying anything the paddock isn’t already saying privately
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 15 May 2018, 04:35 (Ref:3822505)   #24
Razor
10-10ths official Trekkie
Veteran

Australia
Behind the wheel
Razor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
Mr Phelps arguably isn’t saying anything the paddock isn’t already saying privately
Ah yes but that is conjecture and can be defended as "personal opinion". What James did was presented as fact which can be a liability and grounds to be sued.
Old 15 May 2018, 05:47 (Ref:3822518)   #25
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:

You mean like the time he announced Volvo was staying V8s?