Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 19 Dec 2019, 08:24 (Ref:3947470)   #1
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
PHILLIP ISLAND CLASSIC

I'll leave links to the event to more knowledgable tenthers nearer the location!
Old 19 Dec 2019, 12:02 (Ref:3947525)   #2
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Hehehe Mike.... Phillip Island is in Victoria, not South Australia.

Nothing much on the organiser's (VHRR - Victorian Historic Racing Register) website as yet, other than entries have opened.

Anyone looking to enter, look at Supp. Regs, wanting garages, camping site info, fuel and timer info all linked from this page following

https://vhrr.com/wp/phillip-island/
Old 19 Dec 2019, 12:26 (Ref:3947533)   #3
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Sorry Boss- South Australia geographically was what I meant!
Old 19 Dec 2019, 12:50 (Ref:3947545)   #4
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
Sorry Boss- South Australia geographically was what I meant!
Hehehe I thought that might be the case. A nice Google map of the track and where it is...

https://www.google.com/maps/place/38...5.232222?hl=en
Old 20 Dec 2019, 07:31 (Ref:3947668)   #5
Newall Andy
Rookie

Newall Andy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'll be there ! ( again, 12th year in a row )
Shipping my B6 in a week or so... can't wait, one of the best race weekends of the year for me.

Andy.
Old 20 Dec 2019, 12:26 (Ref:3947706)   #6
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newall Andy View Post
Shipping my B6 in a week or so... can't wait, one of the best race weekends of the year for me.

Andy.
Yes and your going without me. Pixxed off!!!!
Old 20 Dec 2019, 13:19 (Ref:3947715)   #7
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta View Post
Yes and your going without me. Pixxed off!!!!
You’re already going to South Africa, ffs! Want want want......
Old 22 Dec 2019, 06:26 (Ref:3947990)   #8
275 GTB-4
Veteran

Australia
South of Sydney NSW, Australie
275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newall Andy View Post

Andy.
To quote a Mafia Boss in an iconic automotive movie - "pretty car".

Enjoy your time downunder...

I have always admired the B8...what was the gestation period between the two and why the designation change?
Old 10 Feb 2020, 00:21 (Ref:3956686)   #9
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
Time to give this thread a bit of a bump, although no entry lists up yet.... should be up in a couple of weeks.

In the meantime a bit of a teaser of whats on show from the VHRR. Andy (Newall) gets a mention about his B6. Looking forward to seeing that.
Quote:
The Phillip Island Classic ‘Festival of Motorsport’ will once again have upwards of 500 entries featuring cars from every state in Australia plus entries from New Zealand, UK and America for exciting racing over three days 6 – 8 March.

With the strong support of leading automotive parts supplier Burson Auto Parts as naming rights sponsor, long term major sponsors Cooldrive, Penrite and Shannons plus a host of other national and international brands, the Phillip Island Classic enters its 31st year building success upon success.
Internationally recognised, the event has been in the top six in the world on no less than four occasions and is attracting worldwide interest and larger attendance crowds’ year on year.

Of special interest this year will be the UK Chevron B6 Sports Car of Andy Newall, USA Paddins Dowling’s 1939 Maserati 4CL Grand Prix car and the Porsche 356 from USA based Earnest Nagamatsu along with three cars from New Zealand including the JPS BMW 635 which will be driven by another Australian legend, Jim Richards and the famous BMW M3 to be driven by Greg Murphy.

Patron for the 2020 event has been announced as the celebrated Australian motorsport legend Larry Perkins, inaugural European Formula 3 Champion, Touring Car Champion and multiple Bathurst 1000 winner with Peter Brock in 1982 to1984 in the famous Holden Commodore. Larry’s son Jack Perkins will race the fully restored Holden Commodore raced in the 2003 Bathurst event by his father.

The event will celebrate the 60th anniversary of Frank Coad’s win in the Armstrong 500, later to become the Bathurst 1000 and the event will acknowledge the 40th anniversary of Alan Jones World Championship win. Peter Brock will also be remembered, as 2020 represents the 40th anniversary of his first Bathurst win. Super Sprints for 5 litre Touring Cars will also be featured over the race days.
Once again there will be more than 1,000 cars on display with the VHRR receiving overwhelming support from Australian Car Clubs of every marque including the Marcos Car Club, 403 Peugeot and Commodore Car Club.
The VHRR Phillip Island Classic ‘Festival of Motorsport supports a charity each year with special rides around the track and this year all funds raised will go to support ‘The Male Bag Foundation’ headed up by AFL Legend David Parkin.
https://vhrr.com/wp/phillip-island/
Old 10 Feb 2020, 09:20 (Ref:3956715)   #10
champcarman
Veteran

champcarman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridchampcarman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Is it just me or has this event lost a bit of its OOMPH in recent years? We used to have heaps of nice cars coming from around the world (remember the International Sports Car Challenge) but now we are excited by 3 cars? I know we have a lot of great race cars in Australia but this event seems to be relying more on Australia's preoccupation with Touring car racing than it did in the past. maybe this gets people through the gates but is this the way the event should be going?
Old 11 Feb 2020, 02:11 (Ref:3956893)   #11
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by champcarman View Post
Is it just me or has this event lost a bit of its OOMPH in recent years? We used to have heaps of nice cars coming from around the world (remember the International Sports Car Challenge) but now we are excited by 3 cars? I know we have a lot of great race cars in Australia but this event seems to be relying more on Australia's preoccupation with Touring car racing than it did in the past. maybe this gets people through the gates but is this the way the event should be going?
Certainly the overseas contingent seems to wax and wane annually, but to be fair many o/s cars are racing without any pre publicity. Of course certain years the entry is spectacular due to a European or overseas manufacturer special anniversary involvement (ie Alfa, who seemed to bring half their museum including WDC winners to their 100th anniversary year.... they also brought a number of factory drivers and engineers that year) Porsche have also supported some of their anniversaries, F5000 is always well supported from O/S as are big sports cars.

The entry is still promised at well over 500 cars (I have heard 540 mentioned) which is no less than recent years.

Of course these anniversaries also feature Touring Cars from time to time, ( I think last year celebrated the 60th anniversary of the first Australian Touring Car Championship) so that would see some focus there. Also last year was a world anniversary for Formula Ford also featured.

It is still a superb meeting on a great track, and there are always a superb variety of local and overseas cars, publicised or not.
Old 11 Feb 2020, 09:48 (Ref:3956921)   #12
champcarman
Veteran

champcarman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridchampcarman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I know it will still be a great event with some great racing by some great cars but when I look at what is happening at some overseas Historic events one wonders if PI could just be a bit better.
Old 11 Feb 2020, 10:17 (Ref:3956924)   #13
blinkybm
Rookie

Australia
Melbourne
blinkybm should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I know it will still be a great event with some great racing by some great cars but when I look at what is happening at some overseas Historic events one wonders if PI could just be a bit better.

You’ve got to remember Australia is a very small country in Historic racing terms, there just aren’t enough open wheelers and sports racing cars (despite the number of unused cars in sheds) to have the big fields we see overseas. Secondly touring car racing has always been the mainstay of spectator interest here, and the economics of running this event simply mean you need large grids and lots of punters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12 Feb 2020, 01:34 (Ref:3957113)   #14
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.B View Post

Of course these anniversaries also feature Touring Cars from time to time, ( I think last year celebrated the 60th anniversary of the first Australian Touring Car Championship) so that would see some focus there.
Just realised that this year is the 60th Anniversary of the ATCC, with the first ever ATCC held at Gnoo Blass in rural NSW back on February 1st 1960.... it was a title decided on a one race format in those days. (It did not become a multi event championship series until 1969.)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1960_A...r_Championship
Old 18 Feb 2020, 11:12 (Ref:3958193)   #15
drbob
Racer

drbob should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Phillip Island Classic

Just in case anyone is interested...but probably not....
I have just finished restoring this Group A BMW 635 CSi.
It is the Charlie O'Brien Bumpa T Bumpa 1985 Bathurst 1000 car that he bought from Frank Sytner in 1985. It was the C.C Motorsport/ BMW UK then Sytner car.
It is in Bathurst 1986 colour scheme and specs of 1986.
Charlie O'Brien is driving it at Phillip Island.
Attached Thumbnails
front 3qtr.JPG   rear 3qtr.JPG   induction system 1.JPG  

induction system 2.JPG   IMG_8699.JPG   IMG_8710.JPG  

Old 18 Feb 2020, 11:35 (Ref:3958195)   #16
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by drbob View Post
It is the Charlie O'Brien Bumpa T Bumpa 1985 Bathurst 1000 car that he bought from Frank Sytner in 1985. It was the C.C Motorsport/ BMW UK then Sytner car.
It is in Bathurst 1986 colour scheme and specs of 1986.
Charlie O'Brien is driving it at Phillip Island.
Im certainly interested, and look forward to seeing it down there. It looks great.
Will you be there at PI drbob?
Old 18 Feb 2020, 21:11 (Ref:3958330)   #17
GreenMachine
Racer

Australia
Canberra
GreenMachine should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGreenMachine should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'll be heading down there, just paid my share of the house rental. Been an annual event for me for quite a few years and I'm looking forward to another dose!
Old 18 Feb 2020, 21:41 (Ref:3958334)   #18
drbob
Racer

EB, Greenmachine
I will be there. Come and say hello
Old 19 Feb 2020, 00:31 (Ref:3958353)   #19
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
EB, Greenmachine
I will be there. Come and say hello
Will do. Thanks.
Old 20 Feb 2020, 12:37 (Ref:3958732)   #20
Cliff Ryan
Veteran

Cliff Ryan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCliff Ryan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
That looks lovely, great job
Old 26 Feb 2020, 04:21 (Ref:3959934)   #21
johnh875
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
johnh875 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Thanks for the photos drbob, I will make sure to have a look at PI likely on the Saturday all going well.
Old 27 Feb 2020, 04:43 (Ref:3960114)   #22
drbob
Racer

Thanks Cliff
John come and say hi
Old 28 Feb 2020, 03:13 (Ref:3960271)   #23
champcarman
Veteran

Are VE Holden Commodores really Historic? As far as I know you cannot race a FF built later than 1989 or carbon tub Formula Holdens such as Reynard 90D but you can race a 2007 Holden Commodore at the PI Historic meeting.
Old 28 Feb 2020, 03:51 (Ref:3960273)   #24
bludvl_x19
Veteran

Australia
umop apisdn
bludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridbludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridbludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridbludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Are VE Holden Commodores really Historic? As far as I know you cannot race a FF built later than 1989 or carbon tub Formula Holdens such as Reynard 90D but you can race a 2007 Holden Commodore at the PI Historic meeting.
You can't race it, but you can super sprint it

At some point they will become historic, and that is ok. But lets not have them for a while yet.
Old 28 Feb 2020, 14:09 (Ref:3960360)   #25
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
Just checked the vhrr website for the entry list. Not available yet but says available early March, so just a few days before the meeting opens next Friday. Ill post a link as soon as it is available.

In the meantime they have published an updated press release. Noticed Andy Newall is not mentioned in the UK drivers attending. Hope his plans to be there are still intact and it is an oversight in the press release. He has become a regular in these parts for this meeting. Looking forward to seeing the Chevron too.

Anyway I will be there and look forward to catching up with any tenthers attending (dr bob and john that I know of)

The press release I mentioned

Quote:
Close competitive racing assured at Phillip Island as champions and legends compete

The Phillip Island Classic ‘Festival of Motorsport’ historic racing over the long weekend in March is shaping up to be highly competitive with many past champions and legends of the sport competing in classic cars of yesteryear.

In the JK, LB and Invitation events close racing is expected with Nick McDonald in the Repco Holden, David Reid in the Faux Pas and Andrew Makin in his first outing in the Nalla Special. Also racing in this class are two highly competitive ladies with Samantha Dymond, winner of the 2019 Diana Davison Ladies Trophy in the VHRR Club Championship, in the Lola Mk.1. against Elisabeth Bailey from NSW, racing the GAS Formula Vee plus some eight other Formula Vee’s.

Within MO and Invitation Racing, two-times Bathurst 1000 winner, John Bowe will drive Peter Strauss’s Formula1 BT31 (ex Jack Brabham), Laurie Bennett will be in the Elfin 600B, Sean Whelan in the BT30 Brabham, Andrew Robins and Andrew Robson in BT30 Brabham’s and the hard charging Penrite BT16 Brabham will be driven by Keith Simpson. Of great interest will be the competition between Nick Bennett in the Elfin 600 and his father Laurie.

Event Patron and six-time Bathurst 1000 Winner, Larry Perkins will be challenged in the 5 litre Touring Cars by Chris Stillwell, Touring Car Champion and son of Australian Motorsport legend Bib Stillwell driving the ex Dick Johnson AU Falcon, Ed Singleton, President of the Heritage Car Association in the GRM Valvoline Cummins VT Commodore, Brad Till driving the ex Ford Tickford Racing AU Falcon and Allan Nash and Garry Collins will be driving the ex Jack Daniels VE Commodores.

Historic Touring Car racing will feature Western Australian Paul Stubber who has just returned from the USA after competing in 40 race meetings. He will be driving his very fast 1969 Camaro against local legend John Mann in his 1969 Camaro. Also in the category are the fast Torana XU1’s of Andrew Williams, Daniel Van Stockrom and Garry Edwards.

Amongst Group C & A are three of the fastest Group A Ford Sierra cars in Australia driven by Bryan Sala, Chris Stillwell and Metodia (Tony) Karanfilovski who will be challenged by four-time Bathurst 1000 winner Greg Murphy in his first full historic race meeting. Greg will be at the wheel of Peter Sturgeon’s M3 BMW. Bathurst legend Charlie O’Brien will race a 365 CSI BMW, seven-times Bathurst 1000 winner Jim Richards will drive the JPS 635 CSI BMW. The crowd will also be treated to the sound and spectacle of two Jaguar XJS V12 cars of Mike Roddy and Anthony Pallas.

Under the historic Q & R category the fastest historic sports car in Australia, the McLaren M8F 8000cc 850BHP will be driven by young Harrison Jones from Queensland and he will be challenged by the two Porsche cars of Russell Kempnich (956c) and George Nakas (962). Also under this category there are 10 Sports 2000 racing.

Tom Tweedie in the Chevron Formula 5000, Guido Belgiorno-Netti in the1985 Ferrari 156/85 and Ian Ross in the Formula 1 Lola will be strongly challenged by five Formula A cars driven by Andrew McInnes, Geoff Doulman, Luke Doidge, Rohan Carrig and Ben Terbutt. Also in this category is the Indy Car, March 86C driven by Ian Buddery and of special interest will be the Kaditcha AF2 driven by Malcolm Oastler.

Throughout the weekend nine ladies will be racing with Clair Greg – Formula Ford, Angela Corradine – Formula Ford, Elizabeth Bailey – Formula Vee and Samantha Dymond – Lola Mk.1. and regularity competitors Deb Louing – Alfa Romeo, Jessica Penn – Caterham Seven, Louise Raper – George Reed Ford, Joanne Coad – Vauxhall Special and Helen Linder – Mini-Cooper S.

Seven overseas drivers including Adrian Reynard – UK, Richard Tarling – UK, Xavier Michel – France, Chris Hodgen – UK, Donald Boyack – UK Martin Whitlock – UK and Jaap Blijleven – Netherlands will race against the best in Australia to provide a spectacular weekend of historic motorsport at the Phillip Island Classic ‘Festival of Motorsport’, an event internationally recognised as one of the best in the world.

ENDS

27 February 2020
Some interesting profile pics ahead of the entry list.https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...16NkM0Uk9HNmlB