Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > National & Club Racing

Old 16 Jan 2017, 21:49 (Ref:3703024)   #26
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunder View Post
.....He only owns a third of MSV I think....
Not so.
A few minutes with google will tell you that MSV is 100% part of MSV Group.
MSV Group has 2 shareholders, JP being one and he holds over 75%.
Old 16 Jan 2017, 23:19 (Ref:3703039)   #27
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I got the info about three folks owning MSV from the same place I think

But I stand corrected

It matters not, but fill your boots. You usually do.
Old 17 Jan 2017, 00:03 (Ref:3703045)   #28
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Well apart from the fact that all the 'prophecies' here are pure fiction there's one thing that's been overlooked.

I hold to the future theory propounded by James May. The internal combustion engine will go the way of the horse - mostly driven off the road and kept for leisure purposes only. This will cement the importance of the race circuit or airfield venue in motoring - the only place for petrol heads to exercise their horse (power). I foresee a strong future for track days, race meetings and car meets at existing and maybe even new venues.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
Old 17 Jan 2017, 04:12 (Ref:3703075)   #29
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post
Well apart from the fact that all the 'prophecies' here are pure fiction there's one thing that's been overlooked.

I hold to the future theory propounded by James May. The internal combustion engine will go the way of the horse - mostly driven off the road and kept for leisure purposes only. This will cement the importance of the race circuit or airfield venue in motoring - the only place for petrol heads to exercise their horse (power). I foresee a strong future for track days, race meetings and car meets at existing and maybe even new venues.
But how do you get your toy there?

And where do you get fuel?

(Both at an affordable cost for the mass market obviously. For the super rich it won't matter so much.)

And then there is the question - why would you care about ICE power when an electric toy is likely to be so much quicker?

And so much more acceptable to the locals in terms of noise ...
Old 17 Jan 2017, 12:35 (Ref:3703128)   #30
andrewc
Veteran

andrewc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
For the same reason that people like analogue watches, vinyl records, manual gearboxes - there is something about internal combustion engines that stirs the soul.

Its why my day job is spent restoring classic Italian cars, mostly from the 1950's-70's occasionally much earlier, despite being superseded in all aspects that can be quantified and compared against current cars.
Old 17 Jan 2017, 18:04 (Ref:3703214)   #31
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
It isn't that cheap to keep a horse, so I presume people will afford very expensive petrol in the way that people afford horse nuts, stabling and farriers.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
Old 25 Jan 2017, 03:24 (Ref:3704903)   #32
socram
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
socram should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsocram should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
As one of the board of directors of the NSCC who ran the re-opening car meeting May 1977, I have a soft spot for the place. (I wonder if they'll celebrate that reopening May 2017 - especially as I should be around!) I have had a lot of race organisation experience since, but my last visit to Donington as a spectator was for an AMOC meeting two or three years ago.

What a disappointment that was, compared to the 1970's/early 80's. Stuck behind wire fences and very little shelter from the heavy rain is not much use for those wanting to watch, or take photographs.

If much of that fencing was installed to bring the circuit up to F1 standards, then I sincerely hope JP rips it out where it isn't necessary.

Getting home after dark Woolley, I sympathise with, but the only other meetings I have been to in the UK and Europe over the last few years were at Goodwood and the Monaco Historics.

Both are extremely frustrating for the same reason and also have an effect on Woolley's problem and also are the reason for sky high entry fees.

They are obsessed by running to the clock. Any analysis of actual track time compared to the length of the meeting will show an extremely poor percentage. They could run two or three extra classes quite easily.

We have just had another successful Festival of Motor Racing here in NZ and on most two day meetings, there are 12 classes/grids, with 12 practice sessions and each driver gets three races per class. (Some enter in more than one class.) For the mathematically challenged, that is 24 sessions per day. Each driver gets 4 lots of track time. OK, sometimes a bit tight for time, and practice sessions are quite short but all meetings are normally over well before 6pm.

You do not need to be a mathematician to work out where break even is for running a race meeting, but I'll never go to a Monaco Historic meeting ever again.

Goodwood only redeems itself because there is so much to see off the track, but if you are stuck out on the far side, there is a huge amount of down time between track sessions. Seeing cars do just one practice and one race over 3 days isn't exactly spectator friendly.

But hey, who really cares about the paying spectators?

Last edited by socram; 25 Jan 2017 at 03:38.
Old 25 Jan 2017, 10:47 (Ref:3704952)   #33
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Donington Calendar for 2017

http://www.donington-park.co.uk/events/2017-calendar/

So far.

End of April is the Historic Festival.

May seems to be all bikes.

Here is a mention of the Anniversary activity.

http://www.donington-park.co.uk/news...rsary-in-2017/
Old 25 Jan 2017, 11:05 (Ref:3704957)   #34
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

Donington Fences

The extension of fencing is not an F1 thing but an FIA licence matter.

After the Gillet fiasco the recovery plan required not only groundworks and track surface patching in places but re-application for a licence as the previous one had been allowed to lapse.

That meant that old safety standards were no longer acceptable so the Esses had to be moved and reprofiled, the old Dunlop bridge straight widened, more run-off area at Redgate and elsewhere and so on.

Plus fences and since then continued fence creep although to be fair there have been a few rather serious incidents where the fences probably proved their worth in one or two places. Notably Holly Wood where I have witnessed one or two surprising racing decisions by drivers in the first and second laps in a packed grid that resulted in quite heavy impacts and bits of shattered car flying about.

The revised requirements, compared with the previous standards, also moved the spectator barriers further back from the safety fences in many places - notably Redgate where the space created is used to return to return the recovery vehicle to its station after deployment.

Those familiar with the paddock area will recall that there are rental suites on the outside of the circuit between the pit exit and Redgate.

The Redgate end of those suites cannot be allocated for anything other than storage use (apparently used by the cleaning contractors) as they are now deemed to be too close to the edge of the track.

That probably relates to an incident a few years ago where a cartwheeling racer landed on or close to the adjacent marshal post.

As I have understood things a lot of the additional run-off areas have been at the behest of the Biker's organisations - not unreasonable I suppose given that they tend to be the biggest and best attended meetings of the year with the possible exception of the BTCC.

And the Download music festival.
Old 9 Feb 2017, 11:55 (Ref:3711195)   #35
88racing
Rookie

United Kingdom
nr Milton Keynes, UK
88racing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The "fence creep" is down to regulations of international series - like Blancpain - that require fences. So no, you're never going to see less fencing at MSV circuits.

Donington needs more grandstands - with roofs - especially now the infield has been cleaned up. There should be one at the top of Craners so you can see all the way from Redgate down to OHP.
Old 12 Feb 2017, 15:54 (Ref:3711698)   #36
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Had my first experience today of the changes at Donington since JP took over. Popped up at lunch time to see a mate who was taking part in a track day. Not allowed to drive in and had to park outside on the grass. The chap on the gate was very apologetic and directly stated it was the new owners policy. Not a big issue maybe, but it was hardly very busy. Race meetings not allowing paddock parking is understandable, but a track day? I didn't stop long.
Old 13 Feb 2017, 07:38 (Ref:3711793)   #37
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
JP loves his grass

No, he really loves his grass. Really.
Old 13 Feb 2017, 08:57 (Ref:3711804)   #38
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunder View Post
JP loves his grass

No, he really loves his grass. Really.
Agreed, so it would have made more sense to let me in to park in the empty Paddock than on the wet grass outside the Paddock gate.

God knows what JP will think about his grass after the Download concert in June - he will have a fit!
Old 13 Feb 2017, 12:40 (Ref:3711826)   #39
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

Andy,

Is it still the same security company on site?

This sort of change seems to be applied either on change of security contractor or as a "new year restart".

That said with Formula E and Book-a-Track Caterham's presence inside the paddock gate there may be other considerations in play. Or maybe the track day organisers made the request?
Old 13 Feb 2017, 13:15 (Ref:3711832)   #40
Truckosaurus
Veteran

England
North Hampshire
Truckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Is the ban on spectators cars from the paddock perhaps a follow on from that lad who managed to gate crash the race at Brands?
Old 13 Feb 2017, 13:34 (Ref:3711833)   #41
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
Quote:
Originally Posted by grantp View Post
Andy,

Is it still the same security company on site?

This sort of change seems to be applied either on change of security contractor or as a "new year restart".

That said with Formula E and Book-a-Track Caterham's presence inside the paddock gate there may be other considerations in play. Or maybe the track day organisers made the request?
Must admit i didn't take any notice of who the company was, but the chap I spoke to said it was a direct instruction from the new owners.

Formula E and Bookatrack have been there for a while now so not sure why that would matter. Indeed if I was running a Caterham show room which is open at weekends, then I might be a bit miffed that potential clients could not drive in on non race days. Same goes for other businesses on site like 750mc and the the Grand Prix RCewear company (although not sure the latter is trading there yet.)
Old 13 Feb 2017, 13:56 (Ref:3711835)   #42
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
Never tried to park there in all the years I went there, always used to park outside.

I do recall a rather officious individual a few years ago at the Historic meeting, trying to barack me about walking over a roadway near the exhibition centre coz he could see a car 18 miles away that might be turning in there. And giving him a piece of my mind!!

but they are usually very friendly and helpful at Donington.
Old 13 Feb 2017, 17:02 (Ref:3711854)   #43
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Interesting that you weren't allowed in, Andy. I can only compare with Snetterton, and on many previous visits during a track (or test) day the main gate has never been manned! I'm now wondering if it will be next visit!

There is one difference, of course- at Snett the main gate is some distance from the paddock, Donington not.

I'd email MSV and ask why the change!
Old 13 Feb 2017, 19:34 (Ref:3711888)   #44
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy97 View Post
Formula E and Bookatrack have been there for a while now so not sure why that would matter.
Not unless they have had some problems. I've not heard anything but ...

Maybe too many people are driving in to hook up their Tesla's to the charging system inside the gate!

More likely, I suppose, a Leaf driver trying to get from Melbourne to Castle Donington.
Old 20 Mar 2017, 12:57 (Ref:3720164)   #45
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
Fresh Tarmac going down in the Redgate Paddock to smooth out the broken concrete. It was probably about 50% finished last Saturday.
Old 20 Mar 2017, 14:10 (Ref:3720187)   #46
mark_l
Veteran

England
mark_l should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmark_l should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This year will be the last for the blue/white livery, it is only being retained because it is the 40th anniversary of the reopening.

The resurfacing of the paddock is a sign that JP is willing to invest in the circuit.

I noticed last Thursday that the retail unit nearest the petrol station is empty. At the end of last year there was 'Grandprix Racewear' sign above the door and they planned to move in for the start of this season, this appears now not to be the case.
Old 20 Mar 2017, 15:02 (Ref:3720193)   #47
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark_l View Post
This year will be the last for the blue/white livery, it is only being retained because it is the 40th anniversary of the reopening.

The resurfacing of the paddock is a sign that JP is willing to invest in the circuit.

I noticed last Thursday that the retail unit nearest the petrol station is empty. At the end of last year there was 'Grandprix Racewear' sign above the door and they planned to move in for the start of this season, this appears now not to be the case.
Maybe somebody tried to put the rent up before they'd even started...
Old 20 Mar 2017, 15:15 (Ref:3720198)   #48
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
That was my guess, too!
Old 17 May 2017, 09:44 (Ref:3734029)   #49
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
It looks like the plan has hit a brick wall with the Competitions Watchdog launching an enquiry according to The Leicester Mercury Link Here.
It'll be a shame for Donington if this plan doesn't go through...
Old 17 May 2017, 13:10 (Ref:3734065)   #50
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIVA GT View Post
It looks like the plan has hit a brick wall with the Competitions Watchdog launching an enquiry according to The Leicester Mercury Link Here.
It'll be a shame for Donington if this plan doesn't go through...
The Mockery is a bit slow off the mark there, as that news surfaced in February IIRC. Standard practice, but it does slow things down somewhat.