Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Old 6 Jul 2011, 14:17 (Ref:2922865)   #51
Dan Rear
Veteran

Dan Rear should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ossy/Andy, I was quite friendly with Kim M in the late 70s/early 80s, and still maintain some contact with him occasionally. I don't ever recall him in a wedge Lotus, I think his first outings were in a BT38C. His elder brother Mike also raced in Northern Libre, in various single-seaters, did he use a Lotus 61?
Old 6 Jul 2011, 14:56 (Ref:2922886)   #52
Andy Clegg
Racer

Andy Clegg should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi Dan,
I don't remember Kim's name being mentioned much before the Aurora/Grp 7? racing. I was more interested in Special Saloons and the BTCC. I came down to Oxford because I'd been to Silverstone a couple of times and thought that it was a better idea (living down here)than what I was doing at the time. An Uncle was running a pub just outside Bicester so I came down and helped him.
Andy
Old 6 Jul 2011, 18:31 (Ref:2922979)   #53
Chris Townsend
Veteran

United Kingdom
London
Chris Townsend should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Rear View Post
Ossy/Andy, I was quite friendly with Kim M in the late 70s/early 80s, and still maintain some contact with him occasionally. I don't ever recall him in a wedge Lotus, I think his first outings were in a BT38C. His elder brother Mike also raced in Northern Libre, in various single-seaters, did he use a Lotus 61?
Dan

I've got somewhere an FF field from Oulton with Kim and Eric Mather in Lotus 61s

Although Mike was the quick elder brother [he was already using a Libre/Atlantic Chevron at this point] I've come across Eric Mather's name a few times in the early 70s.
Was he Mike and Kim's dad?

Chris
Old 7 Jul 2011, 09:25 (Ref:2923193)   #54
Dan Rear
Veteran

Chris, yes he was. Kim told me some time ago that Eric had co-driven on the Monte Rally in the mid-50s, the driver being quite well known, tho' I've forgotten who now! Kim also told me in passing that Mike died quite young, apparently he liked a drink or 2...
Old 10 Jul 2011, 13:45 (Ref:2924525)   #55
Eric Horsfield
Rookie

United Kingdom
USA
Eric Horsfield should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by big andy View Post
this is defiantly croft no question

eric you will like this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_RVAg...2vU_k&index=21
Hello
Thanks for the link but its blocked 'copyright' here in the US. Shows ELO Mr Blue Sky instead!! Hahh! Which is not bad at all!

Cheers Gents
Eric
Old 10 Jul 2011, 22:19 (Ref:2924811)   #56
big andy
Veteran

United Kingdom
doncaster
big andy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbig andy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
try this

http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...o+footage&aq=f
Old 11 Jul 2011, 22:10 (Ref:2925324)   #57
Dermot Healy
Rookie

Dermot Healy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Clegg View Post
Same meeting at Longridge. Any ideas of the car and who drove it please?
I'm fairly sure the blue car 47 was described in the '70s as a Piper F3. I know it was purchased in the mid '70s from a farmer in the Swindon area by a Rob Morgan from Leominster (who kindly supplied me with a photograph from his period of ownership which appears identical to car 47 -albeit minus the LDMC lettering on the nose) and tells me it came to him with an F3 restricted Vegantune TC 1600 engine & a spare Crossflow. Morgan never used it & sold it after about 9 mths to 'two guys from Liverpool' who he believed subsequently severely damaged it at Aintree. I would assume T. Dootson was the 'Liverpool' purchaser (though i suspect he may have been from Clitheroe) & may be the Tom Dootson who earlier raced a Huffaker FJ on a few outings in 1975. The car looks rather different from the part completed mallite monocoque Piper F3 car shown in the late 60s at the Race Car Show - so may already be a 'bitsa' - but there are basic similarities. My interest in this arises from the fact i have a mallite Piper F3 (previously owned by Richard Brown & Norman Parkinson) and every so often get excited about delving into its origins....only to be become very confused very quickly!
Old 12 Jul 2011, 14:55 (Ref:2925606)   #58
Andy Clegg
Racer

Hi, this is the only programme I've got left from Longridge (23/05/1976).
The Dootson in Clitheroe was Brian who also lived in the same village as me. I worked for Brian when I left school. I wouldn't know if Tom was a relation. Brian and his wife Hazel passed away I think in the late seventies/early eighties. Sorry I know no more than this.
Andy
Attached Thumbnails
F.jpg  
Old 12 Jul 2011, 16:26 (Ref:2925662)   #59
allenbrown
OldRacingCars.com
Veteran

allenbrown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridallenbrown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Who is that at No 76 Andy? I can't read the writing.
Old 12 Jul 2011, 20:09 (Ref:2925754)   #60
Chris Townsend
Veteran

United Kingdom
London
Chris Townsend should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenbrown View Post
Who is that at No 76 Andy? I can't read the writing.
Charlie Munroe?

Tom Dootson later bought the March 733 being run by Peter Dugdale at this meeting
Old 13 Jul 2011, 06:57 (Ref:2925873)   #61
Andy Clegg
Racer

Hi, yeh it's C. Munroe. Looks like he was to drive an Imp in Special Saloon race, but Jimmy Jack ended up racing the Imp.
Old 13 Jul 2011, 23:27 (Ref:2926273)   #62
Eric Horsfield
Rookie

United Kingdom
USA
Gents
Here is a picture you may find amusing. A very tired Hoss after many late nights and to many late fish & chip suppers about to go out in my Modus for the first time.
Just for a few laps, the tyres only had about 20 laps left. (note the latest high tech racing suit!)
I floored it, flew out the pits straight across the track and into a ditch!

Regards
Eric
Attached Thumbnails
P7130035.jpg  
Old 14 Jul 2011, 09:55 (Ref:2926433)   #63
Dan Rear
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Horsfield View Post
Gents
Here is a picture you may find amusing. A very tired Hoss after many late nights and to many late fish & chip suppers about to go out in my Modus for the first time.
Just for a few laps, the tyres only had about 20 laps left. (note the latest high tech racing suit!)
I floored it, flew out the pits straight across the track and into a ditch!

Regards
Eric
Eric, any idea what happened to the Modus after you?
Old 14 Jul 2011, 10:30 (Ref:2926457)   #64
Eric Horsfield
Rookie

United Kingdom
USA
Hello Dan
Cam Binnie told me it ended up climbing hills. Speaking of which, what happened to him?
I only raced against him a couple of times. Following him in practice once I remember thinking 'this Scottish lad is bloody quick' and wish I had a Van Diemen!..hah!

Cheers
Eric
Old 14 Jul 2011, 11:02 (Ref:2926471)   #65
Dan Rear
Veteran

Eric, agreed on Cam Binnie, he was fast, as were you in that lovely Tiga! Binnie did FAt/Libre til about 1981 in Andy Barton's March, don't recall him out much after that. He went well in it against more modern cars as he did when he came 'down south' in FF, against the leading 'National' FF stars