Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 28 Oct 2013, 11:37 (Ref:3324175)   #1
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Best race drive/race performances of recent seasons?

Biscuits in a red bull's post in the congrats to Seb thread mad me think it warranted a thead on its own...

What are the best race drives we've seen in the last few years?

Any takers?

I think Webber's Nurby drive in 2009 or 10 was sensational.

Vettel at Abu Dhabi last year....

Hamilton's at Nurby in 2011...

Button Montreal 2011?

Alonso and Perez, Sepang 2012

Kimi, Melbourne this year?

There must be a raft of contenders......
Old 28 Oct 2013, 11:47 (Ref:3324185)   #2
Biscuits In A Red Bull
Veteran

United Kingdom
Biscuits In A Red Bull should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBiscuits In A Red Bull should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
1 - JB @ Montreal 2011. He was thousands of leagues ahead of everyone that day, no matter what luck he had. The best win in Formula 1 history.

2 - Vettel @ Abu Dhabi 2012. Car or not, he screwed up in the race, and could've won if it wasn't for pitting just before the final safety car.

3 - The Hulk basically anywhere. Brazil 2010, Brazil 2012, Monza and Korea this season, he has embarrassed every single driver he has raced bar Vettel and Jenson Button.

4 - Grosjean @ Suzuka this season. I know you're questioning this, but he could actually fight the Red Bulls, lead the race, and he has matured into the best driver who isn't German.

5 - JB @ Australia 2010. Amazing judgement, tyre sustainability, pace, etc

And add Perez at Monza 2012 into this. If it wasn't for the unreal talents of the Hulk, Perez would've been the most highly rated youngster after 2012...

I know I'm generally pretty blunt and opinionated, so please feel free to use your own opinions. They're there for a reason!

Last edited by Biscuits In A Red Bull; 28 Oct 2013 at 12:04.
Old 28 Oct 2013, 12:23 (Ref:3324212)   #3
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Sutil at Australia this year was quite impressive, leading the race after being out for a season.

Vettel at Brazil 2012.
Old 28 Oct 2013, 14:02 (Ref:3324256)   #4
stripedcat
Veteran

stripedcat should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridstripedcat should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
1. Hamilton @ Hungary 2013 - On a track which he does seem to excel at, here he just seemed to always be in control. Getting pole and then the lead, then fighting through traffic and regaining the lead after the pitstops.

2. Vettel @ Singapore 2013 - Just on amasing form. Gets pole, able to cope with the safety car periods and still pull away with a 30 seconds gap at the end. Nobody could touch him.

3. JB @ Canada 2011 - Superb victory from him in the wet. Just amasing from that day.

4. JB @ China 2010 - Another wet/dry victory from JB. He seems to like those conditions. Pitting at the right time and on the right tyres gave him another victory.

5. Alonso @ Spain 2013 - A superb victory from him. Took the lead early on and went on to a superb win.

6. Webber @ Silverstone 2010 - "Not bad for a Number 2 driver" - Yes, Mark, it wasn't. A superb drive from him on an inferior car to his teammate. Showed just what he could do.

7. Webber @ Hungary 2010 - Another drive which benefited from pitting early and dropping into the pack. A superb win from him.

8. Hamilton @ Austin 2012 - His ding-dong with Vettel for lap after lap made for a great race. His final pass on him was timed right. They both have fairly equal cars that day and it was a colossal fight between two top drivers.
Old 28 Oct 2013, 14:55 (Ref:3324278)   #5
m355y
Racer

m355y should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridm355y should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridm355y should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Button's win in Canada 2011 is surely the best. Safety car bunching up the field or not. Raikkonen in Japan 2005 was superb too.
Old 28 Oct 2013, 21:04 (Ref:3324432)   #6
p-matt
Veteran

p-matt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by stripedcat View Post
7. Webber @ Hungary 2010 - Another drive which benefited from pitting early and dropping into the pack. A superb win from him.
I've never understood why people think this was a stunning drive from Mark. He got caught out by the safety car and Vettel held the pack up to let Mark break free at the restart. Vettel got a penalty for holding the pack too much, Mark proceeds to pull away in a car that was the best part of a second quicker than any other that weekend and emerges from the pits in the lead. Any decent driver with that Red Bull at their disposal could have got the gap he needed.
Old 28 Oct 2013, 23:39 (Ref:3324512)   #7
jsTrecu
Veteran

jsTrecu should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjsTrecu should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
No particular order, just some I remember form the last three years listed by driver.

Vettel :
- Singapore 2013, he made everyone believe he had Traction Control
- Brazil 2012 was amazing, he stormed through the field on that first stint on a damp track, with slick tyres and a broken car.
- Abu-Dhabi 2012 was great too, P24 to P3.

Alonso :
- Spain 2013 was great.
- Many of those terrific races when he qualifies far behind and always seems to end on the podium.

Kimi :
- Australia 2013 was very good, nobody noticed he was coming until it was too late.

Lewis :
- Hungary 2013, was fun too watch.

Button :
- Montreal 2011, when everyone else is struggling he is one of those drivers who can excel.

Schuey :
- Monaco 2012, I was very happy to see him get the pole even if he lost it due to a grid penalty. That was some vintage Michael.
Old 29 Oct 2013, 07:43 (Ref:3324601)   #8
Biscuits In A Red Bull
Veteran

United Kingdom
Biscuits In A Red Bull should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBiscuits In A Red Bull should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I totally fail to understand how Vettel's drive at Brazil last year was as good as Button's or Hulkenberg's. Both had a 40 second lead because they had the talent to be faster than those on wet tyres whilst running on slicks.

If people want to put pure dominance on here, Button @ Melbourne 2012 is surely a fine example. But I think wins where the driver really has to work for it are so much better than pure dominance, because that's mainly the car nowadays.

If someone can argue against JB's Canada win being number 1, I'd love to hear it!
Old 29 Oct 2013, 07:45 (Ref:3324602)   #9
Biscuits In A Red Bull
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by p-matt View Post
I've never understood why people think this was a stunning drive from Mark. He got caught out by the safety car and Vettel held the pack up to let Mark break free at the restart. Vettel got a penalty for holding the pack too much, Mark proceeds to pull away in a car that was the best part of a second quicker than any other that weekend and emerges from the pits in the lead. Any decent driver with that Red Bull at their disposal could have got the gap he needed.
It wasn't a stunning drive by Mark. Max Chilton could've won in that car if his teammate got a penalty.
Old 30 Oct 2013, 00:51 (Ref:3324950)   #10
jsTrecu
Veteran

jsTrecu should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjsTrecu should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biscuits In A Red Bull View Post
I totally fail to understand how Vettel's drive at Brazil last year was as good as Button's or Hulkenberg's. Both had a 40 second lead because they had the talent to be faster than those on wet tyres whilst running on slicks.

If people want to put pure dominance on here, Button @ Melbourne 2012 is surely a fine example. But I think wins where the driver really has to work for it are so much better than pure dominance, because that's mainly the car nowadays.

If someone can argue against JB's Canada win being number 1, I'd love to hear it!
It was for me. Each own his opinion but for me Vettel's performance during that race, specially the first two stints, was one of the best I've seen in the last ten years.
And I re-watched it this week so I can make a "quick" comment on it

The pressure of being fighting for the title, his own team mate squeezing him in the first corner letting both Ferrari pass. Senna colliding with him and damaging his car on turn 4. He was 22nd with a whole race ahead.
And there he goes, starts lapping faster than the undamaged faster McLarens who were leading and locked the front row in qualifying, on a damp track, on slicks, while coming through the field. He sets a fast lap, and by lap 8 he is already P6 behind both Ferraris.
He pitted on lap 10 and was p18 at that time, then 6-7 laps later he was already p5 again behind Alonso (most cars in front pitted, but had to overtake some).

After the SC the track dried and he was losing more than a second per lap to the leaders due to the damage and being help up by Kobayashi and Massa who was deliberately driving slow to defend Alonso who was in front of him. Then the team screwed Seb's race a little more by putting on the wrong tyres and he had to pit twice in a row to fall back into P10.
And again, came back and in 8-9 laps he was P6 once more.

He had literally everything against him but kept fighting until the end and never gave up. Personally I think it's his best race on par with Monza 2008, the way he managed the pressure and overtook all those cars on track in very difficult conditions was beautiful to watch.

But again, just my opinion
Old 30 Oct 2013, 07:38 (Ref:3325001)   #11
Biscuits In A Red Bull
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsTrecu View Post
It was for me. Each own his opinion but for me Vettel's performance during that race, specially the first two stints, was one of the best I've seen in the last ten years.
And I re-watched it this week so I can make a "quick" comment on it

The pressure of being fighting for the title, his own team mate squeezing him in the first corner letting both Ferrari pass. Senna colliding with him and damaging his car on turn 4. He was 22nd with a whole race ahead.
And there he goes, starts lapping faster than the undamaged faster McLarens who were leading and locked the front row in qualifying, on a damp track, on slicks, while coming through the field. He sets a fast lap, and by lap 8 he is already P6 behind both Ferraris.
He pitted on lap 10 and was p18 at that time, then 6-7 laps later he was already p5 again behind Alonso (most cars in front pitted, but had to overtake some).

After the SC the track dried and he was losing more than a second per lap to the leaders due to the damage and being help up by Kobayashi and Massa who was deliberately driving slow to defend Alonso who was in front of him. Then the team screwed Seb's race a little more by putting on the wrong tyres and he had to pit twice in a row to fall back into P10.
And again, came back and in 8-9 laps he was P6 once more.

He had literally everything against him but kept fighting until the end and never gave up. Personally I think it's his best race on par with Monza 2008, the way he managed the pressure and overtook all those cars on track in very difficult conditions was beautiful to watch.

But again, just my opinion
JB was 22nd with half a race ahead. Both had a safety car, but JB was always on it and cracked Vettel, taking the best win in F1 history...
Old 30 Oct 2013, 18:48 (Ref:3325229)   #12
jsTrecu
Veteran

Quote:
JB was 22nd with half a race ahead. Both had a safety car, but JB was always on it and cracked Vettel, taking the best win in F1 history...
But Vettel did not benefit from the SC in Brazil...
He was already P6 on lap 8, and P5 on lap 20-21 having done two pit stops already. The SC came out on lap 22.

Both were nice performances tho
Old 30 Oct 2013, 23:45 (Ref:3325322)   #13
cds_uk
Veteran

England
Kesgrave, Suffolk, UK
cds_uk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
taking the best win in F1 history...
Are you quite sure?
Old 31 Oct 2013, 00:35 (Ref:3325331)   #14
Razzzor
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
Razzzor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazzzor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazzzor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:

Lol Biscuits don't hold back on making it clear that you're a huge JB fan aye. Yeah it was a great drive that day, helped by a safety car from memory (or was that the red flag race?) of course and then Vettel running off the road on the last lap. Perhaps if he'd actually passed Vettel it would have been more epic, I don't view this as the greatest drive of all time.

Vettels drive at Singapore was the best of this season, but my memory isn't good enough to remember every race performance of the few years. Hamilton at Hungary 2013 wasn't that great. Kimi at Australia was fun to watch him come out of nowhere, but if Alonso wasn't held up by Vettel and Massa all race long then it could have been a different story.

Button at Brazil 2012? I barely even remember him in that race, I remember Vettel surging through the field and Hulkenberg and Hamilton fighting for the lead - one of them in a car that should have been mid-pack. But Button... I remember him getting passed by Hamilton Button maybe he did lead by 40sec, but that must have been after Hamilton/Nico collided out of the lead? Epic race though, overall.
Old 31 Oct 2013, 08:24 (Ref:3325421)   #15
Biscuits In A Red Bull
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razzzor View Post
Lol Biscuits don't hold back on making it clear that you're a huge JB fan aye. Yeah it was a great drive that day, helped by a safety car from memory (or was that the red flag race?) of course and then Vettel running off the road on the last lap. Perhaps if he'd actually passed Vettel it would have been more epic, I don't view this as the greatest drive of all time.

Vettels drive at Singapore was the best of this season, but my memory isn't good enough to remember every race performance of the few years. Hamilton at Hungary 2013 wasn't that great. Kimi at Australia was fun to watch him come out of nowhere, but if Alonso wasn't held up by Vettel and Massa all race long then it could have been a different story.

Button at Brazil 2012? I barely even remember him in that race, I remember Vettel surging through the field and Hulkenberg and Hamilton fighting for the lead - one of them in a car that should have been mid-pack. But Button... I remember him getting passed by Hamilton Button maybe he did lead by 40sec, but that must have been after Hamilton/Nico collided out of the lead? Epic race though, overall.
Okay, yes, I'm a HUGE JB fan, but I still fail to understand how he's so underrated and how all of his great performances, when on that day he is quite clearly the best on the grid and nobody can stop him, go unnoticed, but whenever Alonso and Hamilton do something great they get loads of credit.

Maybe it's because he's less spectacular with his driving? Or maybe it's because when he wins races in style, he's so dominant in terms of pace that everyone blanks it out, like with Vettel, and just say "It's just the car." Generally, if you win a Formula 1 race, you've got a bloody awesome car!!!

When was the last time Alonso won in the most difficult conditions you'll find from 8 seconds behind an HRT (or about 15 seconds behind a Marussia) with less than half a race to go?

The only win that, imo, compares to JB's Canada is Villeneuve's epic win at Spain in 1981 (?) where, again, he didn't have the fastest car (far from it!), but drove the best defensive drive in Formula 1 history to win.

Again, this is just my opinion, but I put it more bluntly than everyone else here (it seems), so I can understand why you guys are getting upset.
Old 31 Oct 2013, 09:13 (Ref:3325436)   #16
jsTrecu
Veteran

Nobody is getting upset, but claiming it was the best win in F1 history will inevitably generate some hostility.
I don't know if any current driver's been even close to that feat...
Old 31 Oct 2013, 11:15 (Ref:3325468)   #17
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
But Button still favoured massively from the strange conditions encountered on the day, it wasn't a simple on the day fight back from the back was it?

Even Senna' in 1993 was remarkable because of the oddity of the race day weather but he did make everyone else look like rank amateurs!

The best drives have surely got to be ones when someone annihilated the field in pure dry conditions or pure wet with no safety cars or spanners thrown in the works to help them?

I can think of quite a few from waaay back in time but in RECENT SEASONS?
Old 31 Oct 2013, 12:42 (Ref:3325494)   #18
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Button's win in Canada must be up there with the best of any F1 drives. That's the one I like to see re-runs of. In fact, the more you watch the reruns, the more remarkable a race it is.
Old 31 Oct 2013, 13:23 (Ref:3325510)   #19
Biscuits In A Red Bull
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marbot View Post
Button's win in Canada must be up there with the best of any F1 drives. That's the one I like to see re-runs of. In fact, the more you watch the reruns, the more remarkable a race it is.
Well, it was Vettel's to lose, and he lost it
Old 31 Oct 2013, 13:45 (Ref:3325521)   #20
werner
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam, the Netherlands
werner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridwerner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Does 1996 count as 'recent'? I guess not, but if so, Shumachers first win in a Ferrari at a soaking wet Barcelona is up there. Starting mid-pack, overtaking everybody in 5 laps or so, and lapping everybody exept 1 or 2 other rainspecialists. At the same time his great rival and title-favorite Hill calls it a day after his third spin of the day ends in the wall.
Old 31 Oct 2013, 13:54 (Ref:3325523)   #21
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
im a bit conflicted between Canada 2011 and OZ 2010.

at the time the common thought was that LH was going to trounce JB and then to see Button make a call to to pit despite what the team was telling him was just so inspired. completely changed the discourse surrounding that driver pairing. as a stand alone race Canada was the better drive but in hindsight i feel like Oz was the more important win.

Brazil and Abu Dhabi 2012 were iirc the only recent races i gave 10s and still they remain my favorites. going back to 2009, i gave JB and Brawn a 10 at OZ as well as the Honda/Brawn saga was captivating imo.

Japan 2005 i suspect is going too far back but its a fair point that Chunterer brings up that most recent races has some aspect of unusualness to them which makes them great.
Old 31 Oct 2013, 14:01 (Ref:3325526)   #22
Biscuits In A Red Bull
Veteran

United Kingdom
If there's something I love watching, it's the Murray's Memories series on the BBC Sport website. I like to compare recent races to ones like that. Canada 2011, Abu Dhabi 2012, Brazil 2012 are certainly ones I'd put in lists of great races.
Old 3 Nov 2013, 01:59 (Ref:3326445)   #23
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:

Again, this is just my opinion, but I put it more bluntly than everyone else here (it seems), so I can understand why you guys are getting upset.
I don't see anyone getting upset and I I haven't seen anything wrong with your posting style.
Old 3 Nov 2013, 08:50 (Ref:3326493)   #24
Biscuits In A Red Bull
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born Racer View Post
I don't see anyone getting upset and I I haven't seen anything wrong with your posting style.
Maybe it's just a couple of the other threads then
Old 4 Nov 2013, 08:09 (Ref:3326873)   #25
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Sebastian Vettel, Abu Dhabi 2013, owned the whole field! Untouchable!