Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > ChampCar World Series

Old 2 May 2000, 18:55 (Ref:5618)   #1
KC
Veteran

United States
Tulsa, Oklahoma, USA
KC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The major stock holder in the Rockingham Speedway venture has announced that he will file suit on behalf of the investors with the European Courts in an effort to block the Lausitzring from gaining German government backing to hold the one European CART event to be held next year. Apparently the case has valid standing because it violates competition rules set forth that limit government support in private business ventures. CART itself could be named in the suit as the stockholders claim to have a gentleman's agreement with CART to hold the race at the Northhamptonshire circuit.

I think CART needs to go ahead and hold a race at each of the circuits one week apart to limit their travel time and get the best of both worlds. Mercedes gets to have a home soil race (like all the other manufacturers) and the Brit race fans get a chance to see super high speed oval racing.
Old 2 May 2000, 19:46 (Ref:5619)   #2
fatbloke
Veteran

fatbloke should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
And bloody right too! If the British goverment are not allowed to bail out Rover - who have been dropped in it by the krauts - why should their goverment be allowed to bankroll their country's ventures ?
Old 2 May 2000, 22:23 (Ref:5620)   #3
jamie928
Rookie

jamie928 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Don't forget every chasis in CART except for the Swift is built and designed in the UK!! Rockingham deserves the race more than Germany. Scotland and England are also represented in CART. I think there are more CART fans in the UK than in Germany.
CART's problem is there are to many track's around the world that want a race but not enough races in a season to make everyone happy.
Old 2 May 2000, 22:49 (Ref:5621)   #4
Lizzerd
Rookie

Lizzerd should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I vote for Rockingham too. What representation does Deutschland have in CART other than the silver star on the Ilmor valve covers? None that I can think of. In the US we have a growing problem with The Government meddling in private business. Little by little, they are sticking their grubby paws where they don't belong. Keep fighting for your race, Brits. You deserve it, and don't let Big Brother get involved.
Old 2 May 2000, 23:01 (Ref:5622)   #5
Lizzerd
Rookie

One more thing... Although having two European races a week apart sounds like a good idea, what would happen if a chassis is trashed, or worse yet, two chassis at the first of the two races? Assuming that CART (FedEx) pays for delivering the teams to the races, what about the damaged cars? Shipping them back to the US, fixing them and returning them to race two would be almost impossible, especially for the lesser funded teams that probably bring every car they have to the first race. Not only that, but much of the crew would be at the race. Wow, talk about jet lag. CART goes to three other continents, and I don't see how they could realistically stay in Europe for two races back to back.
Old 3 May 2000, 01:25 (Ref:5623)   #6
jamie928
Rookie

jamie928 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Lizzard...If CART ran back to back races in Europe and there were some damaged cars,it woud be cheaper to send them back to the UK for repairs.
When a Champcar sustains major damage in the States, its shipped to the shops in England for repair anyway.
Germany is closer to the UK than the US.
The stuff teams put ont the cars themselfs, like suspensions, electronics,shocks and wings don't cost as much as shipping a chasis.
Old 3 May 2000, 03:57 (Ref:5624)   #7
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Jay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Anybody know what either of these tracks look like?
Old 3 May 2000, 05:21 (Ref:5625)   #8
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Round.

I think the English one is a bit of a long, wonky trioval, while the German one might be a bit like a traditional oval round at both ends....but dont take that as the truth.
Old 3 May 2000, 05:27 (Ref:5626)   #9
Lizzerd
Rookie

jamie,
Thanks. I didn't know, I asked, and got an answer. It makes sense...
Race on!!!

P.S. You spelt my name rong.

[This message has been edited by Lizzerd (edited 03 May 2000).]
Old 3 May 2000, 09:51 (Ref:5627)   #10
Stouffer
Rookie

Stouffer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Guys, Rockingham has it's own website with
pictures of the track layout.
www.rockingham.co.uk
Old 8 May 2000, 08:48 (Ref:5628)   #11
floid2000
Racer

floid2000 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I went to Rockingham's site. GO BRITS !
It looks like a cool layout. Kinda like Darlington with a twist.