Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 11 Dec 2003, 23:31 (Ref:809691)   #1
muggle not
Veteran

United States
North Carolina, U.S.
muggle not should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmuggle not should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
New Sports Car Series

I picked this up from another site:
Quote:
It appears that a group of owners, drivers and business men have decided that the future of Trans-Am style cars would be better served by creating a new series. The group is in the process of creating the required rules and schedule to perhaps be on track by 2004.

Overview: Currently a large field of tube frame GT style cars exists with out an owner friendly venue. The field consists of Grand-Am GTS, Trans-Am and SCCA GT-1 cars. The cars are colorful, high horsepower, purpose built, tube frame, composite bodied, racecars, with silhouettes resembling American Muscle Cars. Currently slight variations exist from the various sanctioning bodies.
After discussions with several drivers, and car owners there is support for a new series featuring GTS/ Trans-Am/GT-1 type cars.

Initial Input: The series could combine sprint and endurance weekends with most of the races being sprint races. The goal would be to maximize track time for everyone. A typical weekend would encompass a practice/tune day and a race day. Race day would include a short practice, qualifying, a short heat race, and a feature. The feature would typically be a tank of gas. If there is enough interest a couple of three to four hour enduros could be added through out the season.

See the remainder of this letter here:

http://www.tainternetleague.com/comm...229832d1a69921
edited at muggle not's request

Last edited by paul-collins; 13 Dec 2003 at 15:03.
Old 11 Dec 2003, 23:46 (Ref:809699)   #2
gttouring
Veteran

gttouring should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Wow what an Idea?
um the real Trans-Am maybe- Gentilozzi better get off his MotoCrock Arse and talk to this guy and make it happen Trans-Am needs this.
Old 12 Dec 2003, 00:00 (Ref:809702)   #3
gttouring
Veteran

i almost forgot! how cool would it be to get a winter series in NorthAmerica to follow- No competition from other series, and something for all of us to watch
Old 12 Dec 2003, 02:57 (Ref:809762)   #4
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
Good Bye Trans Am, you are out of business.

Good move by the owners of these cars, who are undoubtably upset at the moves made in T/A the last couple of years. I hope they do well.

Hey, what about getting that Victoria Day in May event on at Mosport, it is normally a good draw.
Old 12 Dec 2003, 03:54 (Ref:809777)   #5
gttouring
Veteran

Paul Gentilozzi has dellusions of DTM for the Trans-Am- it is a great series and with a more open regulation book it can be spectacular, where are the V6's and all the different V8's he complains that T/A is the only series that uses 311cu.in. V8's -well? don't go crazy and adopt 4.5 litre DOHC engines and alienate the GT1 and SCCA guys who make Trans-Am the cool thing it always was.
the big engines are great but what wrong with 302cu.in and 289's and 350's? (5.0L 4.6L and 6.0L- with spec ignition boxes rpm limit is no problem to govern.)
they could run together and have in the past, fuel injection or carburettor- PG is a bit misguided with his aspiration for this series, especially now with the CART debacle.
Old 12 Dec 2003, 07:33 (Ref:809848)   #6
cybersdorf
Veteran

Austria
Vienna, Austria
cybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
"Fragmentation?" - Anyway, for the competitors's sake, I wish this venture luck, maybe this group will get it right.

"with silhouettes resembling American Muscle Cars" - in other words, a No Jag Zone?
Old 12 Dec 2003, 21:31 (Ref:810556)   #7
muggle not
Veteran

United States
North Carolina, U.S.
muggle not should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmuggle not should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Scott Pruett has now bailed out of Trans Am. He and Max Papis will be racing in Grand Am for Chip Ganassi in a DP next year.
Old 12 Dec 2003, 21:36 (Ref:810562)   #8
RM40
Racer

RM40 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Not a good sign when CART/Trans-Am drivers are leaving, which is an echo of what's been said earlier.
Old 12 Dec 2003, 21:50 (Ref:810574)   #9
gttouring
Veteran

PG had the idea of making trans am like it was in the earlier 90's and eigties- a series with manufacturer support and all- well fathead The ALMS get factory supports GTS cars, and GT not you, Trans-Am should get an infusion of new tech DOHC, fuelinjection etc. but the beauty of it is the brutal power be it OHV or OHCm it is rear drivers with detroit lockers no Traction control and just one big wing, the series is good, the races are fun, but T/A is not an EliteClub for a even a select few of racers, the Basis of TA is grassroots road racing, and the GT1 crowd should be included evry race- If you have a GT1 car come and race, pass minimum weight and size, engine rules and race - none of his malarky about only his what 5 rocketsports cars being the only ones able to win- that's poop, and its hurting his series under his mis management- OH ****- that means CART will be introuble because of him.
And pruett and Papis- good pairing and its good to see them in a full time drive- they should clinch the daytona 24, and almost every race between them.
Old 12 Dec 2003, 23:07 (Ref:810625)   #10
muggle not
Veteran

United States
North Carolina, U.S.
Quote:
Originally posted by RM40
Not a good sign when CART/Trans-Am drivers are leaving, which is an echo of what's been said earlier.
Especially not a good sign when last years Champion leaves Rocketsports for a different racing series. Underlying thought is what does Pruett know that we don't.
Old 13 Dec 2003, 03:59 (Ref:810731)   #11
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
GP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Geez, first CART and now Trans Am!? Two of the great all-American series could be vanishing right before our eyes.

Could it be that Gentilozzi is not the Superman we thought he was? Has he bitten off more than he can chew?

Road racing in America is certainly going to look different in the coming years...

Danica Patrick