Valtteri Bottas 0 0%
Esteban Ocon 0 0%
Pierre Gasly 0 0%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Old 7 Apr 2024, 03:33 (Ref:4204026)   #1
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Driver of the Grand Prix: Japanese Grand Prix 2024

Who gets your vote?
Old 7 Apr 2024, 07:24 (Ref:4204041)   #2
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Yuki Tsunoda, for getting into the points at his home Grand Prix.
Old 7 Apr 2024, 09:15 (Ref:4204045)   #3
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Sainz was excellent again - saw him make the move on Russell at Spoon (it's funny how much difference in speed you can see in the braking zone in person between two cars) and his move on Leclerc on a big telly on our way back round the circuit. I'm going to go with a bit of sentiment here in Japan, though, for Tsunoda. Excellent comeback and calm drive to get a well-earned point at home.
Old 7 Apr 2024, 10:14 (Ref:4204047)   #4
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Yuki for me, with kudos to Leclerc for making a different strategy work, plus of course Carlos had another great race.
Yuki got my vote though..... he had a great weekend, Q3 and then a points finish in his home race and thousands of fans. Oh and some great round the outside passes to boot. Who needs DRS, not Yuki!
Old 7 Apr 2024, 13:51 (Ref:4204063)   #5
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Leclerc for me - making the one-stop strategy (almost) work when others simply couldn't do it was mighty.

Honourable mention to Perez for that pass on Hamilton into 130R - that was full-bore.
Old 7 Apr 2024, 14:10 (Ref:4204066)   #6
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Yuki for me. Feisty and determined. Kudos to Carlos, the real Ferrari #1 beats his #2 teammate once again.
Old 7 Apr 2024, 15:19 (Ref:4204081)   #7
TrapezeArtist
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
TrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I can't get why Tsunoda gets so many votes. He came 10th in an almost-Red Bull. Carlos Sainz gets my vote for speed, tyre management and being first non-Red Bull.
Old 8 Apr 2024, 03:56 (Ref:4204142)   #8
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapezeArtist View Post
I can't get why Tsunoda gets so many votes. He came 10th in an almost-Red Bull.l
First Japanese countryman to get points in his home Grand Prix in like forever.
An RB is definitely NOT a Red Bull made by the mafioso..
And Honda is kept sweet, for when Mr Tsunoda takes Mr Stroll’s race seat..
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 8 Apr 2024, 08:11 (Ref:4204167)   #9
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Like others here it came down to either Tsunoda or Sainz. Tsunoda got the nod, some great passes and he picked up the only points slot that is up for grabs if everyone stays reliable (Red Bull, Ferrari, McLaren, Mercedes and Alonso take up 9 places - leaving one points slot for the others to squabble over).
Old 8 Apr 2024, 08:16 (Ref:4204168)   #10
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Tsunoda made some great passes and deserves the praise. However I'm giving it to Max for his flawless drive
Old 8 Apr 2024, 09:07 (Ref:4204181)   #11
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!
I opted for Charles Leclerc for his daring strategy.
Old 8 Apr 2024, 09:26 (Ref:4204188)   #12
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
European Capital of Culture 2008
steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!
Yuki - for a point in his home GP. But if it was not his home GP, I would have gone for one of the Ferrari drivers probably.
Old 8 Apr 2024, 16:57 (Ref:4204238)   #13
Dutch chap
Veteran

European Union
Holland
Dutch chap should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Despite the brave achievement of others, Pole. fastest lap and the win means something. My vote goes to Max. Still looking forward to someone beating him.
Old 8 Apr 2024, 18:13 (Ref:4204246)   #14
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Currently the best driver in currently the best car and with a powerful self-belief that he can take pole and win every race. That's a pretty unbeatable combination.
Old 8 Apr 2024, 22:54 (Ref:4204268)   #15
Oldtony
Veteran

Australia
Gold Coast Australia
Oldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Nando, for having the strategic brain and the technical ability to put the Aston in the position it finished.
Old 9 Apr 2024, 00:45 (Ref:4204273)   #16
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldtony View Post
Nando, for having the strategic brain and the technical ability to put the Aston in the position it finished.

To be fair he was helped by Merc cocking up their strategy
Old 9 Apr 2024, 10:58 (Ref:4204314)   #17
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
To be fair he was helped by Merc cocking up their strategy

How was he helped by Mercedes cocking up their strategy?
Old 9 Apr 2024, 12:47 (Ref:4204331)   #18
S griffin
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
How was he helped by Mercedes cocking up their strategy?
Because it made it easier for him, it might have been harder had they gone with the right strategy. It was evident early on Merc had made the wrong choice and had to endure the consequences
Old 9 Apr 2024, 13:07 (Ref:4204335)   #19
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
Because it made it easier for him, it might have been harder had they gone with the right strategy. It was evident early on Merc had made the wrong choice and had to endure the consequences

How did it make it easier? He qualified 5th ahead of both Mercs, Hamilton 7th, Russell 9th and got a good start and restart. Mercedes did pick the wring strategy but I don't see how that had any bearing on Alonso.
Old 9 Apr 2024, 13:36 (Ref:4204343)   #20
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
How did it make it easier? He qualified 5th ahead of both Mercs, Hamilton 7th, Russell 9th and got a good start and restart. Mercedes did pick the wring strategy but I don't see how that had any bearing on Alonso.
After lap 16, both Mercedes cars were ahead of Alonso.

I think the argument S griffin is making, is that had Mercedes had a better strategy, they may have stayed ahead of Alonso.
Old 9 Apr 2024, 14:09 (Ref:4204350)   #21
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
After lap 16, both Mercedes cars were ahead of Alonso.
Alonso, who was on softs, pitted on Lap 13 which is why they got ahead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
I think the argument S griffin is making, is that had Mercedes had a better strategy, they may have stayed ahead of Alonso.
Possibly but it all seems to have gone sour for Mercedes after both cars pitted and Russell and Hamilton found themselves behind Piastri, though Russell did get Piastri on the last lap.
Old 9 Apr 2024, 14:56 (Ref:4204358)   #22
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
the tire strategies overall were quite interesting given the track conditions, track temp, and running in spring rather than fall (lack of data perhaps). trying to think of another race where numerous drivers ended up using all three compounds during the race.

add in that Merc had said before hand that their car would struggle here, im surprised that they opted to send both drivers out with basically the same tire strategies (should add thats what i believe they did - hope im right on that otherwise ignore the point im about to make lol).

while that sort of thinking works when you are the top of the field but when you are not, i dont really get the logic of doing the same thing with both cars...Merc have always been way to conservative imo and as a result i sort of think they are always cocking it up.

are they the new keystone cops?
Old 11 Apr 2024, 17:45 (Ref:4204660)   #23
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
never voted for yuki before but this week he gets my vote
Old 12 Apr 2024, 07:46 (Ref:4204717)   #24
S griffin
Veteran

Merc seem to have forgotten how to run a great strategy. Maybe frustration is clouding their judgement and that's why they are making so many mistakes in strategy
Old 14 Apr 2024, 00:26 (Ref:4204893)   #25
Guthrie
Rookie

United States
Atlanta
Guthrie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yuki Tsunoda got my vote. He seems to keep getting better with every race.