Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 3 May 2019, 17:54 (Ref:3901553)   #226
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Nico is always willing to talk about it. At least he was dedicated to it as it shows by him shaving his legs to go faster. But as you say, it took it all out of him
Old 10 Jun 2019, 13:27 (Ref:3909074)   #227
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
European Capital of Culture 2008
steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!
Hmm. This thread had dropped off the front page for some reason. Maybe because perhaps the "New" Bottas is actually the same as the old one after all? Or can he still turn things around and put up a title challenge this season? (I hope the answer is yes, because it is looking increasingly like no one else will).

2 consecutive races where not only was Bottas beaten by his teammate, but other cars also finished ahead of him.

“It’s not ideal so maybe it’s a bit of a wake-up call again, for sure I can always learn for it."

He should not need any "wake up call" at this point in his career.
Old 10 Jun 2019, 14:48 (Ref:3909111)   #228
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Maybe he’s just another Berger/Patrese/Barrichello in that he can beat his superstar team mate when he’s really on it, but struggles to keep that consistency quite often
Old 10 Jun 2019, 15:14 (Ref:3909116)   #229
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
Hamilton plugs into Mercedes with just one click. He's a plug n' play driver. He's one of those drivers that does that with a team. Hamilton is all that Mercedes needs. They'd almost just field one car if the rules permitted it.

It's not team-driver intrigue or anything conscious by the team against Bottas. And of course, Bottas has his deficiencies, his talent is temperamental.

But I think if one driver fits hand-in-glove with a team - unless the other guy is a real sparkling Fangio whizzkid type - the other guy is inevitably going to get somewhat sidelined from the team. Bottas is unlikely to be driving a car finely honed to his tastes.
Old 10 Jun 2019, 15:20 (Ref:3909119)   #230
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
Maybe he’s just another Berger/Patrese/Barrichello in that he can beat his superstar team mate when he’s really on it, but struggles to keep that consistency quite often
Would agree. Lewis on an off day can still do well. Bottas seems very hot or very cold.

Richard
Old 11 Jun 2019, 00:54 (Ref:3909252)   #231
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Bottas is good. Hamilton is elite.
Old 11 Jun 2019, 03:30 (Ref:3909273)   #232
sizzle
Veteran

Australia
Darwin
sizzle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsizzle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
Bottas is good. Hamilton is elite.
So few words, so much truth.
Old 27 Jun 2019, 13:24 (Ref:3914433)   #233
F1Pete
Veteran

Canada
Sudbury, Ontario, Canada
F1Pete should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridF1Pete should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Okay, Bottas was a few seconds behind in last weekend's race....

What the heck was all that blue smoke billowing out of Bottas' car prior to race? The camera caught it a couple of times. Once leaving the pit lane and the other during the formation lap.

Sometimes Brundle comments it is due to overfilling of oil, but no one made any comments on this at all.

Anyway, it wasn't normal operation. Could there have been some power loss resulting in losing x amount of tenths per lap? Hammy was steadily pulling away each lap for no apparent reason right from the get go. Again, this wasn't normal...

Sent from my SM-G955W using Tapatalk
Old 27 Jun 2019, 13:39 (Ref:3914434)   #234
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by F1Pete View Post
Okay, Bottas was a few seconds behind in last weekend's race....

What the heck was all that blue smoke billowing out of Bottas' car prior to race? The camera caught it a couple of times. Once leaving the pit lane and the other during the formation lap.

Sometimes Brundle comments it is due to overfilling of oil, but no one made any comments on this at all.

Anyway, it wasn't normal operation. Could there have been some power loss resulting in losing x amount of tenths per lap? Hammy was steadily pulling away each lap for no apparent reason right from the get go. Again, this wasn't normal...
A couple of explanations have come out of the Mercedes camp this week.

Mercedes explain why the Virtual Safety Car cost Bottas four seconds
'Bottas was at risk of receiving a penalty and had to slow down suddenly, which left him four seconds “positive” to the target time when the VSC period suddenly ended.'

Tyre management

'So had take care a lot of the fronts in many of the corners and maybe being a lot on the conservative side, losing some big chunks of time, just by managing and being on the safe side. And in the end, that’s why it became a bit close with Charles [Leclerc], closer than we wanted.'
'We were suffering with some front tyres blistering in the last stint. We were a little bit concerned and just wanted to be on the safe side so we would definitely make it to the end without any failure on the front tyre.'
Old 27 Jun 2019, 16:25 (Ref:3914453)   #235
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
I think occasional oil smoke from the current PUs on start up is of less concern to the engineers than the fans. Could be several reasons, cylinder to piston clearance being one. Not sure about the ‘overfilling’ suggestion though. If it doesn’t happen during the race, then I can’t see that it would suggest a ‘down on power’ PU.

Certainly from what I’ve read tyre management was the issue later in the race, but maybe LH was just driving better at the beginning.....