Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > General Forums > Virtual Racers

View Poll Results: What's your gearbox settings for your racing games?
Manual 17 56.67%
Automatic 13 43.33%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Old 16 May 2001, 04:28 (Ref:93083)   #1
Sharky
Veteran

Sharky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSharky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSharky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Automatic or manual gearbox?

Well, I'm sure that most of you guys here play a lot of racing games and every game has the option of running it with a manual or automatic gearbox. So which do you use?

As for me, I had always used automatic until I sold my old trusty joystick and bought myself a steering wheel with F1 type shifters. Now I run every game with manual gearbox.

BTW. Another reason fro this poll is to use the poll function which I still haven't used

Last edited by Sharky; 16 May 2001 at 04:30.
Old 16 May 2001, 08:13 (Ref:93101)   #2
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
It has to be an automatic box, so that you can consedtrate on keeping the car on the road and watching what is going on around you.
Old 16 May 2001, 09:43 (Ref:93111)   #3
Minardi fan
Veteran

England
Llamaville, Kent
Minardi fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I recently started practising with the manual gearbox on F1 '97, and I'm getting there slowly... Otherwise, I use the automatic every time.
Old 16 May 2001, 09:52 (Ref:93114)   #4
DNQ
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
DNQ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Always Auto. Although the other day I did a forty lap race around Indianapolis in Grand Prix 2 with no aids and finished at the front of the field. Although, it was pretty easy, apart from the start and pitstops, I was in sixth the whole time!
Old 16 May 2001, 15:29 (Ref:93239)   #5
kuchi
Veteran

Colombia
Bogota, Colombia
kuchi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well Sharky, when I play racing games on my computer I also use a joystick, so it is hard to use manual gearboxes, but when I go to my cousin's, I play on manual, because he has a force feedback steering wheel, which I enjoy a lot. And when I use my play station I also put manual on every game.
Old 16 May 2001, 15:53 (Ref:93246)   #6
Sharky
Veteran

Sharky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSharky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSharky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The only time I had previously used a manual gearbox was when I played Ayrton Senna's GP on a friend's Sega Genesis. Choosing the 7 speed manual gearbox was the only way to get to the top teams and win the championship in the hardest skill level. And I did!
Old 16 May 2001, 16:47 (Ref:93263)   #7
badoer fan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
badoer fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I use the automatic, I'm not coordinated enough for manual. On F1 Championship Season 2000 if you press gear down whilst in automatic mode it pops the engine into neutral(!?)
Old 16 May 2001, 22:30 (Ref:93393)   #8
SL
Veteran

SL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Manual every time.

When you have the power to slip to third at 70 mph and breeze passed the wheezing car ahead it is a great feeling.

As this is mainly Aussie area an Auto maybe the answer on the long roads you have, but the tight confines of the UK roads makes an auto seem very slow. 'cept in London City that is.

Simon
Old 17 May 2001, 05:06 (Ref:93488)   #9
Buckshot
Veteran

Australia
Cambridge Gardens, NSW, Australia
Buckshot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBuckshot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm only really playing 3 racing games at the moment. Gp3 and SCGT I drive on manual..only way to play but on CMR2 I use auto until I get more used to it - then I'll be switching to manual for that as well.
Old 20 May 2001, 14:42 (Ref:94493)   #10
robert2000
Racer

England
Cambridge, UK
robert2000 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If you get a choice, then manual is always quicker. A lot of games auto-shift prematurely and your lap times are slower.
Old 25 May 2001, 08:29 (Ref:96400)   #11
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
DAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Just like real cars eh?
Old 11 Jun 2001, 20:33 (Ref:104053)   #12
knowlesy59
Racer

Wales
WALES
knowlesy59 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
toca 1 -manual
toca 2 -manual
world touring cars-manual
f1 2000 -auto
f1 98 -auto
f1 97 -manual
f1 -manual
le mans -auto
cmr -auto
cmr2 -auto
gran turismo -manual
gt2 -manual

and if i use my steering wheel on any of these i always use manual.
Old 24 Jun 2001, 19:45 (Ref:109229)   #13
mjstallard
Veteran

England
London
mjstallard should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm currently using automatic because I snapped my joystick in half in a barney with DC :/

But when I get my wheel, I'll be a manual driver again...GP3's auto gears suck ;(
Old 30 Jul 2001, 22:35 (Ref:124052)   #14
Ed G
Racer

Ed G should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Playing GPL... you can't really try to drive using the automatic.... it will shift right in the middle of a coner for you which unbalances the car ... and off you go.

When I was playing ICR2 I found that the only way to play with any fuel strategy on ovals was to run manual... you can set up the car for cruising in one gear and passing in another. Did blow a few engines on yellow flag restarts concentrating on hitting the gas at the right time I forgot to shift.
Old 31 Jul 2001, 00:50 (Ref:124093)   #15
Raven
Veteran

England
Raven should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I usually switch around quite a lot. On GP2 I use auto for qualifying and quick laps, but Ed is right about the fuel. You can save so much more fuel by shifting early and not using the maximum RPM, which is what automatic does.
Old 31 Jul 2001, 21:38 (Ref:124483)   #16
jonboyG
Racer

jonboyG has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
As this is mainly Aussie area an Auto maybe the answer on the long roads you have, but the tight confines of the UK roads makes an auto seem very slow. 'cept in London City that is.
SL - you know we're talking about computer racing?

As for me, auto all the way (its just a bit easier).
Old 1 Aug 2001, 09:47 (Ref:124649)   #17
Marshal
Veteran

Marshal should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMarshal should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Always Manual. Not only does it help judge corner speed better, but it gives you the option to use engine braking to help slow down more quickly, as well as trhe previously mentioned benefits in acceleration.
Old 4 Aug 2001, 17:39 (Ref:125843)   #18
Mekola
Veteran

Kiribati
Atlantis
Mekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I used to be automatic gearbox at my first racing games, but I now use the manual gearbox on GP2 (I don't have the GP3, and my Pentium 100 don't have enough resources to run it).
Old 4 Aug 2001, 17:42 (Ref:125847)   #19
Mekola
Veteran

Kiribati
Atlantis
Mekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Mekola
I used to be automatic gearbox at my first racing games...
OK, OK, but ¿what must I write? ¿Perhaps "used to be USE automatic gearbox..."?
Old 4 Aug 2001, 17:43 (Ref:125849)   #20
Mekola
Veteran

Kiribati
Atlantis
¿Or "used to USE automatic gearbox..."?
Old 4 Aug 2001, 21:33 (Ref:125930)   #21
DNQ
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
OK, I hate to admit it, but I just about always use automatic. I just can't stand changing gears on a keyboard, and I like to concentrate on my steering and braking
Old 5 Aug 2001, 06:51 (Ref:126038)   #22
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Jay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I used to use Automatic shifting, but learned manual in GP2 a while ago, and now going to automatic would just cheapen it for me. I use a wheel with F1 shifters though, so it's easy... If you dont have a good controller, I can see staying with automatic.
Old 6 Aug 2001, 06:30 (Ref:126458)   #23
DNQ
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
Yes, changing gears with a keyboard is silly - if I had a wheel, then I'd use manual gears.
Old 6 Aug 2001, 06:52 (Ref:126462)   #24
Jozo
Rookie

Jozo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Manual, of course. I suppose it depends on what sim you play and how you play (wheel/joystick/keyboard). But, for the sim of sims, GPL, you have the use manual shifting (and wheel) to be really quick.

Quote:
Originally posted by Ed G
Playing GPL... you can't really try to drive using the automatic.... it will shift right in the middle of a coner for you which unbalances the car ... and off you go.
I think it has to do with how good the sim's physics engine is, i.e. how well it models reality. No sim, except perhaps Papy's latest, NASCAR 4, beats GPL in this aspect.

Anyway, if you're a beginner, it's probably easier to start with automatic while learning the tracks and how the cars behave. At this point, shifting just gives you to many things to think of. Once you've learnt that you can switch to manual shifting.
Old 5 Oct 2001, 18:14 (Ref:156375)   #25
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
It just has to be manual, every time, every game. (Sorry, I'm catching up on posts that's why I'm two months late!).

I even went out and bought a steering wheel just to play GPL.