Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Old 16 Jan 2014, 09:41 (Ref:3354620)   #176
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Surf 1275 View Post
Yes it's the same Brian Harvey of Grand Prix Models and I think your information is correct and that Harvey must have sold it to Goodman by the time this race took place. I am in touch with Brian and will check my facts.

My car can just be seen in the bottom left corner of this Richard Styles shot, possibly from the same meeting as yours ?

No, Richard's picture is not from the same race meeting as mine, although funnily enough my shot is also taken from the pit roof looking down into the collection area. Richard & I seem to have had an uncanny habit of taking pics of the same cars in the same places over the years!

From what I can see of the race number on the GLTL Lotus 47 that is the Formula Libre race at the West Essex CC meeting on 30 June 1968. And if anyone is interested that appears to be Charles Carling's Brabham BT18 alongside the Lotus.

I've had a quick run through my 1968 Snetterton programmes & found the following entries for your car. Piers Forrester also entered some races in what I think was a yellow Unipower.

30.06.68 West Essex Car Club Car Races
Formula Libre Race 15 Laps
41 G.L.Goodman Unipower G.T.S. 1133cc Red

14.07.68 750 MC
Scratch Race for Sports and GT Cars 8 Laps
121 Graham Goodman (Dvr: Gideon Lloyd)
Unipower GTS BMC 1140

28.07.68 BRSCC Clubman's Car Races
Special Grand Touring & Special Sports Car Race 8 Laps
121 Graham Goodman Unipower GT 1140

06.10.68 BRSCC Clubman's Car Races
Scratch Race for Special Grand Touring & Special Sports 8 Laps
115 Graham Goodman (Dvr: Gideon Lloyd)
Unipoer G.T. 1149cc

That's the entries as they appear in the programmes - the engine size seems to fluctuate a bit! I hope there is something of help there.

JOHN ELWIN
Old 16 Jan 2014, 22:24 (Ref:3354952)   #177
Surf 1275
Rookie

Surf 1275 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That's great John, thank you and yes Forrester did race a very similar car to mine at Snetterton but as you say in yellow. He liked the car so much he bought the company and in 1969 attempted to qualify a Unipower Gt for Le Mans ! Mine ran an overbored 1071 Cooper S engine whilst with Goodman at 1140cc, not sure why all the variations listed above.

Here's the Autosport ad from late '69 when my car was for sale :

Last edited by Surf 1275; 16 Jan 2014 at 22:26. Reason: cock up
Old 1 Mar 2014, 16:03 (Ref:3373668)   #178
nicanary
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Newtownards Co.Down
nicanary has a real shot at the podium!nicanary has a real shot at the podium!nicanary has a real shot at the podium!nicanary has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Kitson View Post
Hobbs and Ferguson were in the sportscar race at Lombank F1 meeting March '61, but no e-types. They were back in June and July '61 ( Scott Brown memorial meeting ) with E-types.
Just to bore you all rigid - after haunting E-bay for years I have tracked down a programme for the Scott-Brown meeting of '61, and Andrew Kitson had it spot-on. So I have a copy of my very first race meeting - and I'm sitting here smug as a Cheshire cat. It's made my day, and then some. Nothing like the memory of that first great day.