Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 17 Sep 2018, 17:10 (Ref:3851088)   #126
SamBinfield
Rookie

United Kingdom
Ludwigsburg, DE
SamBinfield should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
Thanks Mike.

Yes indeed a serious reminder. Let's hope the driver recovers soon.

Light metallic green E-Type, think I have seen it run in GTSCC previously. It was being loaded onto a trailer as I arrived back at the circuit on Sunday. I asked after the driver and was informed they were "not good". Didn't wish to pry any further - hopefully there is some positive news soon. Side impact into a concrete wall at considerable speed is never going to result in a particularly pleasant outcome for the driver.

On a lighter note, we had a great time at Spa - as always the highlight of the season. Qualified P97 (15th in class), avoiding the chaos as we went, and ended up P46 (6th in class). We were into the 3:13's this year, and the best sectors put us in a 3:12 - not bad for a bit of old Welsh fibreglass! Sadly the prolonged safety car period took up most of my stint, but I enjoyed playing with a few 911's and a not so fast Grantura in the final few laps.

Counting down the days until next year now
Old 17 Sep 2018, 19:01 (Ref:3851123)   #127
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Back home now. Like you Sam cant wait until next year. I have had a very privileged year, Monaco, Le mans, Goodwood but for sure this meeting is the best.
We only lost one car Brabham BT 2 FJ. "could be ex Roy James " but its not.Broken cam shaft. We had a E Type in 6 hour along with Cooper Maserati and a couple of Sports 2000 in HSCC races. All finished. Happy days.
So for my 6 hour story.Go back to Members meeting and FISC Racer sometimes known as Richard Evens asked me if I would be interested in sharing his Marcos. "Daft question ". Did not here from him for some time as it was not known whether regular partner was driving or not. Anyway few weeks back I got the call and deal was done.
Richard went out and set a great time in Qualy. After a few laps he was in with fan belt missing. Me and his crew replaced fan belt " good job I have mechanics fingers" sure was hot.I then got sent out in pitch black dark having never driving this car.
It was a bit daunting I can tell you. Lights being flashed , yellow flags, blue flags flipping heck. Settle down Rowley, I soon realized that the blue flag being waved was not for me but cars in front of me as this Marcos is blooming quick, "happy days "and get out of my way. I was still some way of Richards pace but after a couple of laps Qualy was red flagged so I pitted and was told by pit crew to pull my finger out. That was good for me to have a rest and think about car and track ,gears braking points ect.
Green light and I got a couple more laps and got down to two seconds of Richards best time.
All good and Richards team prepped the car for the race. Richard started and drove well for an hour running P2 in class and made his way up the leader board. Pit stop and Alternator hanging off. Bracket broken that is bolted to the block.We all set too getting broken parts off and of coarse this is now a very hot engine.
We needed a mig welder and would you believe it the Dutch team next door were welding up their TVR chassis. We were loaned the mig welder then the wire got tangled inside. I was going to do the welding but Mike from the team pushed me out the way and got stuck in and did a great job. The boys fitted bracket and alternator back on but on starting the red light was on so they had to then swap alternator. They did a great job but we lost nearly an hour.
I got sent out for around two hours and just had so much fun. I remember coming up to a gaggle of four cars and was thinking I am going pass them one by one then thought "sod it ". somehow i passed all four under braking at the bust stop.I had a good old ding dong with a couple of Elans and a Morgan plus four,not sure if Mike was in the car or not.I had to pit early as we had a bit of oil surge the boys topped her up and Richard let me carry on. After a few more laps the water temp started to go up as I went around some of the slow corners so I pitted again and with race gloves and a rag got the cap of topped up header tank and Richard went of to fuel up and finish the race.
He was overjoyed to finish as we all were, Champagne was sprayed and lots of hugs and pats on the back as this was his first finish in six years of trying. I have just looked at results and we were 3rd in class. "sounds good"
Be great to go again next year, I really did enjoy driving the car.
Old 17 Sep 2018, 19:32 (Ref:3851128)   #128
exnigel
Rookie

exnigel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamBinfield View Post
Light metallic green E-Type, think I have seen it run in GTSCC previously. It was being loaded onto a trailer as I arrived back at the circuit on Sunday. I asked after the driver and was informed they were "not good". Didn't wish to pry any further - hopefully there is some positive news soon. Side impact into a concrete wall at considerable speed is never going to result in a particularly pleasant outcome for the driver.:
The e type was car 163 driven by Charles Gillett, well known and very experienced VSCC chain gang and HGPCA racer. Other than that he was airlifted to hospital, I have heard no news, good or bad, as to his well being.

Nigel B
Old 17 Sep 2018, 19:33 (Ref:3851129)   #129
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Excellent result Iain. And a great report. Richard must be pleased with that.
Old 17 Sep 2018, 20:15 (Ref:3851132)   #130
Wriggley Monkey
Rookie

Wriggley Monkey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have been in contact with Charles Gillett's wife.

He was moved to Liege hospital and has been in an induced coma since the accident. The medical staff are monitoring a number of injuries and he is expected to be "woken up" shortly after which they will make further assessments.

If you know Charles and would like more detail (I only have a little more) please PM me.

We all wish Charles a speedy recovery.

Brian White
Old 17 Sep 2018, 20:49 (Ref:3851136)   #131
gary396
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northallerton
gary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks for the update Brian. I've had the pleasure of watching and photographing Charles drive in many VSCC events - a terrific and entertaining driver. Fingers crossed for a positive outcome.
Old 17 Sep 2018, 21:01 (Ref:3851145)   #132
FISCracer
Racer

Wales
Surrey
FISCracer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You drove very well Iain. A pity about the broken bracket which cost us over an hour. If we'd done 19 laps in that hour we would have been top 12......If.
A thoroughly enjoyable weekend and glad to hear Charles Gillett is OK, albeit in poor shape.
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta View Post
Back home now. Like you Sam cant wait until next year. I have had a very privileged year, Monaco, Le mans, Goodwood but for sure this meeting is the best.
We only lost one car Brabham BT 2 FJ. "could be ex Roy James " but its not.Broken cam shaft. We had a E Type in 6 hour along with Cooper Maserati and a couple of Sports 2000 in HSCC races. All finished. Happy days.
So for my 6 hour story.Go back to Members meeting and FISC Racer sometimes known as Richard Evens asked me if I would be interested in sharing his Marcos. "Daft question ". Did not here from him for some time as it was not known whether regular partner was driving or not. Anyway few weeks back I got the call and deal was done.
Richard went out and set a great time in Qualy. After a few laps he was in with fan belt missing. Me and his crew replaced fan belt " good job I have mechanics fingers" sure was hot.I then got sent out in pitch black dark having never driving this car.
It was a bit daunting I can tell you. Lights being flashed , yellow flags, blue flags flipping heck. Settle down Rowley, I soon realized that the blue flag being waved was not for me but cars in front of me as this Marcos is blooming quick, "happy days "and get out of my way. I was still some way of Richards pace but after a couple of laps Qualy was red flagged so I pitted and was told by pit crew to pull my finger out. That was good for me to have a rest and think about car and track ,gears braking points ect.
Green light and I got a couple more laps and got down to two seconds of Richards best time.
All good and Richards team prepped the car for the race. Richard started and drove well for an hour running P2 in class and made his way up the leader board. Pit stop and Alternator hanging off. Bracket broken that is bolted to the block.We all set too getting broken parts off and of coarse this is now a very hot engine.
We needed a mig welder and would you believe it the Dutch team next door were welding up their TVR chassis. We were loaned the mig welder then the wire got tangled inside. I was going to do the welding but Mike from the team pushed me out the way and got stuck in and did a great job. The boys fitted bracket and alternator back on but on starting the red light was on so they had to then swap alternator. They did a great job but we lost nearly an hour.
I got sent out for around two hours and just had so much fun. I remember coming up to a gaggle of four cars and was thinking I am going pass them one by one then thought "sod it ". somehow i passed all four under braking at the bust stop.I had a good old ding dong with a couple of Elans and a Morgan plus four,not sure if Mike was in the car or not.I had to pit early as we had a bit of oil surge the boys topped her up and Richard let me carry on. After a few more laps the water temp started to go up as I went around some of the slow corners so I pitted again and with race gloves and a rag got the cap of topped up header tank and Richard went of to fuel up and finish the race.
He was overjoyed to finish as we all were, Champagne was sprayed and lots of hugs and pats on the back as this was his first finish in six years of trying. I have just looked at results and we were 3rd in class. "sounds good"
Be great to go again next year, I really did enjoy driving the car.
Old 17 Sep 2018, 22:22 (Ref:3851156)   #133
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
Just back from Spa, Jackie & I were pit crew for the Grays (father & son) with an E type. As others have said, qually was chaotic due to starting in the pitch dark. Hopefully this trial wont be repeated. We were around P38 overall and P13 in class, just glad to have avoided any trouble.
The race went reasonably well having adjusted the strategy when we realised it was only going to be the 'Spa 5 hours and 20 minutes'. Went for an early driver change and refuelled at an empty fuel station, by the time the 100 litres was in there was a queue of 5 cars. Near the end of a long middle stint it spun on oil at Paul Frere - backwards through the gravel and brushed the tyre wall, but skilfully Mike extracted it and only needed a short pitstop to make adjustments to the brake ducting and reassure him that the rear lights were still attached (one side only just!).
Second change and refuel was just before the above mentioned long SC period leaving a 15 minute dash to the end. Final result, 21 overall and P5 in a very competitive class. Possibly the highest-placed finisher not being run by a pro team, we were all very 'appy. The sense of fun being much enhanced by sharing a garage with Delta, Richard and the Marcos mob, everyone mucked in and helped whenever needed.
Old 18 Sep 2018, 11:40 (Ref:3851246)   #134
Juha
Rookie

Belgium
Belgium
Juha should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post
Merci Juha, c'est super sympa. Les deux derniers docs font penser "instantanément" Ã* une lithographie de Alain Mirgalet. La T Septante est dans le ton du repos entre deux actions. Je pense que tu vois Ã* quoi je fais référence Ã* moins que tu ne sois comme je le suppose très jeune. Bonne continuation.
Merci Gerard. J'ai dû me servir de Google pour voir, je ne suis né "que" vers la fin des années 80.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
I saw elsewhere that the race start was delayed. What was the reason and what time did it start?

Great result Mike.

Juha, some very good pictures as always.
Thanks Peter. The race started late because of delays earlier in the day. I'll look up the exact start time later.

I've uploaded a few photos on my website. I've seen every group at least once on Friday or Saturday except for the Jaguar race, so if anyone's looking for a specific car there's a chance I have something (number and especially car colour would make the search a bit easier).
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0359.JPG   IMG_0660.JPG   IMG_0876.JPG  

IMG_1145.JPG   IMG_1291.JPG   IMG_6745.JPG  

Old 18 Sep 2018, 12:03 (Ref:3851253)   #135
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juha View Post
J'ai dû me servir de Google pour voir, je ne suis né "que" vers la fin des années 80.
Si tu as cherché Mirgalet Ferrari 250TR, tu as compris. Je pense que cette litho s'est aussi bien vendue que celle de Don Quichotte d'après Dali, par exemple! Je me doute que tu as aussi compris que je ne cachais aucune critique négative. J'ai beaucoup roulé chez un autre Gérard, du côté de Steppe et j'ai eu pour équipier José Close… Merci encore et bonne continuation. Cheers!
Old 18 Sep 2018, 12:08 (Ref:3851256)   #136
Juha
Rookie

Belgium
Belgium
Juha should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
C'est bien ce que j'avais trouvé, et je ne voyais absolument pas de critique négative.
Old 18 Sep 2018, 12:28 (Ref:3851260)   #137
retrognome
Racer

retrognome should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridretrognome should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Light metallic green E-Type, think I have seen it run in GTSCC previously. It was being loaded onto a trailer as I arrived back at the circuit on Sunday. I asked after the driver and was informed they were "not good". Didn't wish to pry any further - hopefully there is some positive news soon. Side impact into a concrete wall at considerable speed is never going to result in a particularly pleasant outcome for the driver.

On a lighter note, we had a great time at Spa - as always the highlight of the season. Qualified P97 (15th in class), avoiding the chaos as we went, and ended up P46 (6th in class). We were into the 3:13's this year, and the best sectors put us in a 3:12 - not bad for a bit of old Welsh fibreglass! Sadly the prolonged safety car period took up most of my stint, but I enjoyed playing with a few 911's and a not so fast Grantura in the final few laps.Counting down the days until next year now
This must be you enjoying youreslf. Copyright Peter Baker (www.retro-speed.co.uk)
Attached Thumbnails
DSC_6268_2.JPG  
Old 18 Sep 2018, 13:42 (Ref:3851275)   #138
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Thank you for the pics, Guys!

On a different note- Reading through comments, from our experiences at the time, and from what was said by others at the circuit, the new qualifying format was a disaster. I can only think it was changed from the normal daylight qually, followed by an untimed night session to set lights or get acclimatised, to fit in an extra grid- Masters Endurance Legends.

I sincerely hope the format is not repeated!

Other disappointment- once again due to timetable delays the race started 30 minutes late. Not satisfactory when competitors have paid for 6hrs and most calculated their fuel requirements accordingly! OK, the latter can be adjusted during the race, but you get my point.....
Old 18 Sep 2018, 15:23 (Ref:3851290)   #139
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
Other disappointment- once again due to timetable delays the race started 30 minutes late. Not satisfactory when competitors have paid for 6hrs and most calculated their fuel requirements accordingly! OK, the latter can be adjusted during the race, but you get my point.....
Agreed; actual start was 16:36 and the chequered flag out at 21:55. There were 5 safety car periods totalling 110 minutes so just under 3 1/2 hours of actual racing. Not sure what the attrition rate would be if flat out for 6 hours!
Old 18 Sep 2018, 18:47 (Ref:3851315)   #140
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Thank you for the picture Juha . 😀
Old 18 Sep 2018, 20:07 (Ref:3851328)   #141
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Thank you for the pics, Guys!

On a different note- Reading through comments, from our experiences at the time, and from what was said by others at the circuit, the new qualifying format was a disaster. I can only think it was changed from the normal daylight qually, followed by an untimed night session to set lights or get acclimatised, to fit in an extra grid- Masters Endurance Legends.

I sincerely hope the format is not repeated!

Mike,

I thought it was a tradition that it only lasts about 5 1/2 hours.

However the safety car periods seem to have been unfortunately long compared to usual.
Old 19 Sep 2018, 05:10 (Ref:3851369)   #142
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by grantp View Post
Mike, I thought it was a tradition that it only lasts about 5 1/2 hours.

However the safety car periods seem to have been unfortunately long compared to usual.
I'm still a bit of a newbie, having only done the race 5 times, but this was the shortest yet. The circuit does have a curfew, so however late the race starts, it has to finish on time. IMHO the organisers need to work on the timetable a bit. At the briefing they blamed last year's late start on competitors being slow to get onto the grid. This year we were 1/2 hr late being allowed onto the grid, so don't think we could have done any more!
Old 19 Sep 2018, 08:56 (Ref:3851398)   #143
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
I'm still a bit of a newbie, having only done the race 5 times, but this was the shortest yet. The circuit does have a curfew, so however late the race starts, it has to finish on time. IMHO the organisers need to work on the timetable a bit. At the briefing they blamed last year's late start on competitors being slow to get onto the grid. This year we were 1/2 hr late being allowed onto the grid, so don't think we could have done any more!
I was there with the Delta crew some years back and as I recall the race started about 20+ minutes late then and maybe finished, effectively, a few minutes early.

I think I've looked at the results for most years - maybe all years - since then and as far as I recall the pattern has always been much the same give or take a few minutes.

Of course if one was running a potentially winning car with a high fuel consumption and wished to try to avoid at least one fuel stop the shortened race and a few safety car laps might not be considered a bad thing - at least in concept. Especially if the driving team was adept at night racing.

Old 19 Sep 2018, 13:58 (Ref:3851434)   #144
retrognome
Racer

retrognome should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridretrognome should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The Nick Sleep/Joel Wykeham/Alex Montgomery Ford Shelby Mustang 350GT lighting up the entry into the 'Bus Stop. Image copyright Peter Baker
Attached Thumbnails
DSC_8961.JPG  
Old 22 Sep 2018, 11:13 (Ref:3851946)   #145
dwh43scale
Veteran

United Kingdom
Milton Keynes
dwh43scale should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddwh43scale should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
First couple of albums from last weekend on Flickr covering F1 and Endurance. Six Hours album to follow soon.

https://flic.kr/s/aHsmsoGukm

https://flic.kr/s/aHskEUFFbT
Old 9 Oct 2018, 15:08 (Ref:3855691)   #146
SamBinfield
Rookie

United Kingdom
Ludwigsburg, DE
SamBinfield should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by retrognome View Post
This must be you enjoying youreslf. Copyright Peter Baker (www.retro-speed.co.uk)

Thanks for the photo Peter! I have a request to pass on from the Gilbern Owners Club, who would like to reproduce this image in their magazine, accompanying a race report (properly credited of course). Would this be agreeable, and furthermore could we have a high-res copy of the image?

Unfortunately one of the downsides to the "night shift" is that there are very few photos from my stint. Does anyone know who the photographers are that frequent La Source? I was blinded by camera flash pretty much every lap, so there must be some pictures hosted somewhere
Old 21 Nov 2018, 13:03 (Ref:3864738)   #147
dwh43scale
Veteran

United Kingdom
Milton Keynes
dwh43scale should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddwh43scale should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
https://flic.kr/s/aHsmwfyrAg

Finally, finally, got my Spa Six Hours gallery completed. Includes among other things a flaming Mustang, delta and an illuminated Gilbern. There's probably other 10/10ths'ers in there as well.

Albums for supporting races can be found here -
https://www.flickr.com/photos/dwh38/albums
Old 29 Nov 2018, 10:23 (Ref:3866809)   #148
retrognome
Racer

Quote:
Thanks for the photo Peter! I have a request to pass on from the Gilbern Owners Club, who would like to reproduce this image in their magazine, accompanying a race report (properly credited of course). Would this be agreeable, and furthermore could we have a high-res copy of the image?

Unfortunately one of the downsides to the "night shift" is that there are very few photos from my stint. Does anyone know who the photographers are that frequent La Source? I was blinded by camera flash pretty much every lap, so there must be some pictures hosted somewhere
Apologies, I overlooked this post, if its not to late contact pwb@retro-speed.co.uk