Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Closed Thread

Old 8 Nov 2018, 17:01 (Ref:3861832)   #2251
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIVA GT View Post
You'll be safe I think John. For whatever reason Bauble doesn't seem to be around on here so much lately!
(This is what my wife would call 'fishing', setting the bait to see if he bites and makes a reply!)

He's probably busy writing Christmas cards to his many friends & admirers, Viva.
Old 8 Nov 2018, 17:02 (Ref:3861833)   #2252
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
OOPs! Double post!
Old 8 Nov 2018, 17:05 (Ref:3861834)   #2253
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Elwin View Post
He's probably busy writing Christmas cards to his many friends & admirers, Viva.
Good point John, I will camp out around my post box and await mine...
Old 8 Nov 2018, 17:09 (Ref:3861835)   #2254
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
You're welcome, John. I avoid the expression "be my guest", cose I think it could have different meanings… You must know about carbu.com website, supposed to help you to find the best price nationwide or around your location.

We still dont know whether Bob displays his fluoro or not… Shome shay the answer could be something like wtf!
Old 8 Nov 2018, 17:56 (Ref:3861846)   #2255
justracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
West Sussex
justracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjustracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
When the added ‘you can hear more by watching our documentary tonight’ was broadcast the whole thing made sense- Another Promo!
Paint drying
Old 8 Nov 2018, 18:33 (Ref:3861850)   #2256
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by justracing View Post
Paint drying
No, no- I’m sure it will be riveting.......
Old 9 Nov 2018, 07:23 (Ref:3861923)   #2257
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
John, do "they" have the super ethanol thing in UK? If yes how is it. Any neighbor in France using a kit? I'm very close to convert at least one car. Did anyone experience super ethanol in a race car? Cant be more corrosive than the 102!
Old 9 Nov 2018, 07:26 (Ref:3861924)   #2258
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post
John, do "they" have the super ethanol thing in UK? If yes how is it. Any neighbor in France using a kit? I'm very close to convert at least one car. Did anyone experience super ethanol in a race car? Cant be more corrosive than the 102!
I'm sorry Gerard, I don't know.
Old 9 Nov 2018, 11:37 (Ref:3861956)   #2259
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
From what I understand of the economics and moral aspects of ethanol it's useful as a performance fuel - used in the USA in particular for many years especially in oval racing - for added power from vehicles with engines appropriately built and tuned. Drag racing comes to mind.

Pretty poor on any other basis and most likely would not be in use if not mandated by governments.

I think E10 might be in fairly wide use but not necessarily labelled as such. It may allow fudged national CO2 emission numbers. Numbers are everything.

I don't think we have E85 (or at least I don't recall seeing any) in the UK.

I think it sells where the after tax price is significantly reduced compared to regular fuel grades because people think they are getting a price bargain. I wonder if they really are?

Here is a link that sort of discusses the economics aspect related to a flex-fuel car.

https://www.popularmechanics.com/car...se-to-buy-e85/

I also recall that when hi-Ethanol content fuels were introduced in Scandinavia Saab and Volvo introduced special Bio models designed to work with those fuels. It might have been simply a ruse to tap into potentially higher profit margins by those who could afford to be virtue signallers but as I recall they used different components - especially anything related to rubbery pipes and some metal items - to reduce the adverse effects of the ethanol.

As for the economics .... a decade or more age I read that if the source cropp was grown more than 50 miles from the ethanol product plant and the resulting fuel was used more then 50 miles from the plant the real cost of manufacture and distribution, compared to fossil fuels, was not competitive.

So the conclusion then would have been that it would be a great option if you could harvest material and distil the ethanol yourself but somewhat poor if not. Likewise maybe ok if doing your own car maintenance but not so good if paying others.

Whether any of that has changed I don't know. It might be worth a dedicated thread ?

ETA: If you have 25mins to spare here is an interesting take on things from Australia.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ltWcgiCm4NY

Last edited by grantp; 9 Nov 2018 at 12:01.
Old 9 Nov 2018, 12:14 (Ref:3861961)   #2260
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
A little more on ethanol from a technical POV.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ATGSBi1kBl0
Old 9 Nov 2018, 12:39 (Ref:3861965)   #2261
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
According to Classic Car Weekly this week the government minister responsible (if any are) has told them that even after E10 becomes the main fuel available here, a lower ethanol (E5 perhaps) version will still be on sale.....
Old 9 Nov 2018, 12:45 (Ref:3861967)   #2262
SamBinfield
Rookie

United Kingdom
Ludwigsburg, DE
SamBinfield should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
According to Classic Car Weekly this week the government minister responsible (if any are) has told them that even after E10 becomes the main fuel available here, a lower ethanol (E5 perhaps) version will still be on sale.....
Here in Germany I have a choice of E10 or ethanol-free 95 octane in my local Shell garage (also 98 octane, 102 octane, diesel and high-performance diesel). The ethanol-free is about 2 cents more expensive per litre.
Old 9 Nov 2018, 13:21 (Ref:3861974)   #2263
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamBinfield View Post
Here in Germany I have a choice of E10 or ethanol-free 95 octane in my local Shell garage (also 98 octane, 102 octane, diesel and high-performance diesel). The ethanol-free is about 2 cents more expensive per litre.
That’s a good selection! Never seen 102 octane on a modern forecourt here, V-Power 99 the best available.....
Old 9 Nov 2018, 14:35 (Ref:3861981)   #2264
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

Quote:
That’s a good selection! Never seen 102 octane on a modern forecourt here, V-Power 99 the best available.....

Momentum 99 at Tesco.

Other retailers seem to offer 97 octane as their top offering.

2 cents per litre price reduction for 3% or so less energy content does not seem like a good deal to me ... about par on total cost per km I suppose.
Old 9 Nov 2018, 15:08 (Ref:3861986)   #2265
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Lots of my engineering /racing mates swear by the 99 Tesco fuel .
Old 9 Nov 2018, 15:50 (Ref:3861996)   #2266
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
And some racers don’t.....
Old 9 Nov 2018, 15:57 (Ref:3861997)   #2267
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Thanks all for the wise advices and interesting links. To my knowledge, we have only one car available here equipped from new, a Golf model.
We are "encouraged" to drive clean, we have a lot of beetroots and we'd like to pay less taxes. So lets go for it!
If you want to convert an existing car you must:
Buy an electronic homologated device, plus taxes, have it installed by an authorized dealer, plus taxes, change your V5, plus taxes, and send a letter to your insurance company, plus taxes…

At the end of the loooong day, phew, based on the average mpg of a mid size car, you "could" start to have your investments back after roughly 30k kilometers. But -there is a but!- all this works on today's super ethanol price. If you dont reach the 30k kilometers very quickly, you might see a price increase and a… new tax on it too because of the success!
Old 9 Nov 2018, 16:04 (Ref:3861999)   #2268
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
When using beetroots, I guess a good side effect would be a strong fudge smell alerting you when the head gasket is going! Who knows! Replace the oxygen sensor by popcorn, may be…

Lucky German, they know how to feed race horses.
Old 9 Nov 2018, 16:07 (Ref:3862000)   #2269
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post
Thanks all for the wise advices and interesting links. To my knowledge, we have only one car available here equipped from new, a Golf model.
We are "encouraged" to drive clean, we have a lot of beetroots and we'd like to pay less taxes. So lets go for it!
If you want to convert an existing car you must:
Buy an electronic homologated device, plus taxes, have it installed by an authorized dealer, plus taxes, change your V5, plus taxes, and send a letter to your insurance company, plus taxes…

At the end of the loooong day, phew, based on the average mpg of a mid size car, you "could" start to have your investments back after roughly 30k kilometers. But -there is a but!- all this works on today's super ethanol price. If you dont reach the 30k kilometers very quickly, you might see a price increase and a… new tax on it too because of the success!

You might also need to check hoses and gaskets and, indeed, the manufacturer's specification for the engine and fuel system, filters and so on. Especially for anything more than about 6 years old.
Old 9 Nov 2018, 17:35 (Ref:3862021)   #2270
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
You're right, Grant. In a perfect world, we could adjust the timing too and may be the camshaft and/or CR. Ignition timing is supposed to be monitored via the knock sensor(s) and adjust at its best.
Bio ethanol has more energy and the octane rate is higher but in a standard engine, the mpg is lower.

The first test I was invited to, was the initiative both of Ford France and representing people of bio energy in France. When passing from 95 to bio carburant on the C-Max, the results were terrible (10 years ago).

In principle, the reliability of the engine should be at least the same if not better with a smoother running. The solution of adding the homologated device is reversible though. Changing the calculator settings is less conservative. The solution of mixing 50% bio and 95 for instance could be good but I couldn't find any feedback about that.
Old 9 Nov 2018, 23:15 (Ref:3862072)   #2271
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
A little excitement on the A11 along Six Mile Bottom: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-eng...near-cambridge
Old 10 Nov 2018, 02:58 (Ref:3862091)   #2272
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
And some racers don’t.....
Ah! But some girls do.
Old 10 Nov 2018, 06:42 (Ref:3862102)   #2273
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
A little excitement on the A11 along Six Mile Bottom: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-eng...near-cambridge
What the heck was going on there! That’s where the old A11 joins from Newmarket going south. As an aside, in the video you will see 50mph limit signs at the junction. These have been there for months, and go down to a 40mph limit for a short stretch. Thing is, there is zero obvious reason for them being there, and no ‘explanation’ by means of a sign. So it leads to regulars cruising through at slightly less than 70, while those not familiar slam their brakes on to reduce speed. Would be safer if they took the signs away, IMHO...
Old 10 Nov 2018, 09:23 (Ref:3862114)   #2274
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
What the heck was going on there!

I'm guessing that the driver of the off-roader (is it a Land Rover?) drifted onto the centre reservation, over reacted by swinging too violently towards the left with the result to be seen. The camera picture does seem to suggest that the gap between the two cars was far greater than the car that previously passed.
Old 10 Nov 2018, 10:28 (Ref:3862122)   #2275
morninggents
Veteran

England
Up north, near York.
morninggents should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That's my take on it too, Mike. But the question is why was he/she too far right? On the phone? Texting? Falling asleep?
If none of the above and he/she was just reacting to the 50 sign why brake so hard to lose control? There was sufficient distance to the car in front to lose speed more gently.

Dashcam guy was lucky he/she wasn't taken out. Also tranny driver probably needed a change of trousers.
Closed Thread