Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 13 Jun 2018, 19:24 (Ref:3829051)   #51
Spanner monkey
Racer

England
Norwich
Spanner monkey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moneyseeker View Post
Temporary circuit infrastructure costs are terrifying, I can't see TOCA or a promoter commiting to that and the days of local authorities funding things like this to promote the city or area are long gone.
Swedish TCC Have all the infrastructure to build temporary street circuits and have smaller entrys and crowds than BTCC
maybe it could be hired for special BTCC events?
Old 13 Jun 2018, 19:36 (Ref:3829054)   #52
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post
There are a number of Scottish race series that could potentially cover the support package too if the F4, Clios etc. were exempted from the travel. Several BTCC teams did cry off Knockhill before the licencing system: yes, it's not exactly local for Bartie or Shaun H, but a days run in a HGV can cover the distance.
in terms of truck travel, it’s a similar cost/effort for most teams to get to spa as it is to get to knockhill. knockhill can be done for most inside a 9/10 hour drive, but it’s on the edge for anyone south of leicester who happens to hit a bit of traffic.

i’ve never understood the travel poverty plea to dodge knockhill. perhaps cars are more prone to damage but if a team is mission critical over an extra £150 of hgv fuel then they’ve got bigger issues to deal with.

i’d love an extra race at knockhill too. as long as it was in july or something, because i don’t think team kit can cope with anything other than summer up there
Old 13 Jun 2018, 19:50 (Ref:3829061)   #53
touring fan01
Veteran

touring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtouring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtouring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon411 View Post
but failing another track coming in for 2020 it would be nice to see the spare slot rotated so that other tracks get the chance of hosting a second race weekend if they wish.
yes and that is what he said in the autosport today that I cut and pasted earlier in the thread;

Series director Alan Gow said Thruxton's extra event was an experiment for 2019 but that other current circuits could get additional rounds beyond that.

"We will double up at Thruxton and see how that goes - although that 'spare' date that we now have isn't set in stone," he explained.

"We will try Thruxton, but equally we could double up at other venues in years to come.

"We have had two rounds at places like Oulton Park before, and that has worked well."

Gow said it was highly unlikely that any tracks currently outside the BTCC calendar would be added in the near future.

"Given the infrastructure of the BTCC and the demands it places on circuits, the ones on the schedule presently are the only ones that can properly accommodate the championship," he added.

"We are not ignoring the other tracks around the UK, we simply wouldn't be able to fit into them.
Old 13 Jun 2018, 20:26 (Ref:3829087)   #54
Matt K
Veteran

Matt K should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMatt K should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The problem is that in BTCC there's little money. I don't compare it to F1 or other World Championships but you can just have a look at DTM or Supercars. Both are national series (well, Supercars clearly is) and they visit several countries, Supercars pushes for a few Asian rounds, they travel to New Zealand. No one complains about reasonability of it from sponsors point of view, no one complains about costs to travel somewhere.
Old 13 Jun 2018, 21:44 (Ref:3829153)   #55
Craner Curves
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kelso
Craner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt K View Post
The problem is that in BTCC there's little money. I don't compare it to F1 or other World Championships but you can just have a look at DTM or Supercars. Both are national series (well, Supercars clearly is) and they visit several countries, Supercars pushes for a few Asian rounds, they travel to New Zealand. No one complains about reasonability of it from sponsors point of view, no one complains about costs to travel somewhere.
You cannot compare those to the BTCC. The Dtm catering and hospitality budgets are probably more than a seat in the BTCC!
Old 14 Jun 2018, 04:17 (Ref:3829202)   #56
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
If you look at the nationalities of the drivers in BTCC, DTM and Supercars, it becomes clear where the interest from outside national boundaries lies.

Arguably BTCC should consider a NI round, but a suitable track is needed first.

In Italy, we get DTM shown on our TV - but most Italians I speak to have never heard of BTCC.
Old 14 Jun 2018, 06:30 (Ref:3829214)   #57
KA
Veteran

KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by porsche962fan View Post
back in 2005-2006 British GT had races in France, how the heck was this possible and not BTCC
Apart from the differences in business model between BTCC and BGT that kipper talked about a few of posts back, quite a few of British GT's overseas adventures have been aided by commonality of regulations between GT series, which meant the BGT could link up with other series and run shared grids (although there have been standalone races at Spa as well)- the Magny-Cours 'BGT' round in 2005 was actually one class of BGT running as part of the FIA GT round, and the trips to Pau and Magny-Cours did the same thing running with the broadly equivalent classes in French GT- Some of the Spa BGT rounds have also seen joint grids with the Belgian GT series etc. That's not going to be so easy with BTCC running to a unique rulebook
Old 14 Jun 2018, 08:23 (Ref:3829220)   #58
850Estate
Veteran

Sweden
GBR/SWE
850Estate should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
If you look at the nationalities of the drivers in BTCC, DTM and Supercars, it becomes clear where the interest from outside national boundaries lies.

Arguably BTCC should consider a NI round, but a suitable track is needed first.

In Italy, we get DTM shown on our TV - but most Italians I speak to have never heard of BTCC.
Assuming Lake Torrent doesn't become another Circuit of Wales it would be an interesting addition. There's a big fanbase for motorsport in Ireland, and if the ferry transport could somehow be subsidised for the teams then it would be quite appealing to them I'd think.

The BBC in NI have given Turkington and Smiley a really decent amount of coverage, and I reckon that they'd really kick that up a gear (Jackson, 2012) if they had a home race to shout about.

It's also an hours flight from me when I'm home, so that's quite handy too
Old 14 Jun 2018, 08:29 (Ref:3829221)   #59
Matt K
Veteran

Matt K should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMatt K should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by 850Estate View Post
Assuming Lake Torrent doesn't become another Circuit of Wales it would be an interesting addition. There's a big fanbase for motorsport in Ireland, and if the ferry transport could somehow be subsidised for the teams then it would be quite appealing to them I'd think.

The BBC in NI have given Turkington and Smiley a really decent amount of coverage, and I reckon that they'd really kick that up a gear (Jackson, 2012) if they had a home race to shout about.

It's also an hours flight from me when I'm home, so that's quite handy too
Well, it seems Lake Torrent is alright, WSBK signed a three year deal with the circuit, starting from 2019.
Old 14 Jun 2018, 08:32 (Ref:3829222)   #60
antnee
Veteran

antnee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridantnee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think Silverstone International circuit could be used, paddock can spill out onto the Stowe circuit, when the hardstanding area looks comparable to most other circuits (from a very scientific look on googlemaps ).

I would like to see some of the layouts at other circuits tried, I always like to see the GP loop included at Donington.
Old 14 Jun 2018, 09:05 (Ref:3829227)   #61
RS67
Veteran

RS67 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post
Has a reason been given for the Rockingham decision?
The track might be put up for sale.
Old 14 Jun 2018, 09:10 (Ref:3829229)   #62
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
It's good to see Gow considering a replacement circuit for 2020. Just a shame Pembrey doesn't look like happening, as that produced two great races when it was on the calendar in 92 and 93
Old 14 Jun 2018, 10:34 (Ref:3829240)   #63
Redshift
Rookie

Redshift should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'd personally prefer to see Snetterton 200 layout used rather than an additional visit to Thruxton.
Without the infield section it would be a pretty fast circuit although not up to Thruxton speeds.
Old 14 Jun 2018, 15:36 (Ref:3829308)   #64
psq43
Veteran

psq43 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshift View Post
I'd personally prefer to see Snetterton 200 layout used rather than an additional visit to Thruxton.
Without the infield section it would be a pretty fast circuit although not up to Thruxton speeds.
I agree. The extended length does little to improve the racing other than break the cars up a bit. A run on the 200 layout could be quite good and we'd probably get 2 or 3 more laps out of a race. Just a huge shame that the flow of turn 2 has been changed as a mistake there often lead to a great battle down the straight and into the esses.
Old 14 Jun 2018, 17:18 (Ref:3829343)   #65
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Well, it seems Lake Torrent is alright, WSBK signed a three year deal with the circuit, starting from 2019.
That doesn't necessarily mean anything. Circuit of Wakes signed a multi-year deal with MotoGP!

Not saying that it won't happen, but lets wait until it's actually built first.
Old 14 Jun 2018, 20:04 (Ref:3829459)   #66
Matt K
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by redshoes View Post
That doesn't necessarily mean anything. Circuit of Wakes signed a multi-year deal with MotoGP!

Not saying that it won't happen, but lets wait until it's actually built first.
Didn't know that. Also I don't know much about Lake Torrent, I assumed that everyrhing is done and dusted there.
Old 20 Jun 2018, 08:28 (Ref:3832041)   #67
thlbtcc
Veteran

thlbtcc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by 850Estate View Post
I reckon that they'd really kick that up a gear (Jackson, 2012)
Classic!
Old 21 Jun 2018, 15:10 (Ref:3832341)   #68
touring fan01
Veteran

touring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtouring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtouring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Didn't know that. Also I don't know much about Lake Torrent, I assumed that everyrhing is done and dusted there.
it’s obvious now why Gow didn’t include it in the calendar;
http://www.tyronecourier.uk.com/articles/news/64962
Old 22 Jun 2018, 08:34 (Ref:3832451)   #69
BobJones
Veteran

BobJones should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by touring fan01 View Post
it’s obvious now why Gow didn’t include it in the calendar;
http://www.tyronecourier.uk.com/articles/news/64962
Thanks for sharing. Very interesting, hope they can proceed with the project but a good idea to skip it for now.
Old 22 Jun 2018, 10:44 (Ref:3832470)   #70
Matt K
Veteran

Yeah, now it's clear. I just lacked such information. Hopefully Lake Torrent won't be a repeat of CoW plans. I'd love to see a new circuit in the UK, appearing in the BTCC calendar. They need new circuits. Maybe in 2020 the track will be ready to show up in the BTCC.
Old 22 Jun 2018, 14:29 (Ref:3832508)   #71
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Looks like Lake Torrent is a whole different kettle of fish to CoW in that they've actually broken ground, so they're about a thousand years ahead.

It looks like it'll be a good track, if the developers manage to crack the problems they've got.
Old 28 Jun 2018, 10:53 (Ref:3833430)   #72
Alfisti
Veteran

England
North Yorkshire, England
Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!
Speedworks. Discuss.

So several of us, me for starters, misinterpreted Toyota PR mans comment for Speedworks running something else this year. How wrong we were as the trusty Avensis is still here and performing well.

The Avensis road car production ends in the coming months so the Derbyshire factory will be producing the new Auris hatch and estate. The Camry saloon will be on sale here too in 2019 as an indirect Avensis replacement. But a bit bigger, possibly quite a bit bigger than the HARD CC.

I'm wondering if Toyota might be looking at the opportunity for more involvement and exposure with factory involvement and the Auris on the grid? Certainly the made in Britain flag can be played as Dynamics have done with Honda.

I would think the Camry as a less likely candidate due to size and the fact it will be imported into the UK.

Or will the Avensis be back?
Old 28 Jun 2018, 11:39 (Ref:3833431)   #73
Pdh
Racer

Pdh should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPdh should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPdh should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
To be honest I can’t see Toyota coming in as a works team or putting any money into speedworks the only reason is that their car is at the front and winning races and championships and it’s costing them nothing so why would they risk putting money into a team when they don’t have to
Old 28 Jun 2018, 15:27 (Ref:3833466)   #74
medius
Veteran

England
Media Office hiding from the rain
medius should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmedius should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Nothing is stopping Speedworks forging a deal bring a new brand to the grid in 1019, maybe an Asian car manufacturer? Easy enough to pull apart the Toyota shells and place the guts into something different? HMS did it to create the Alfa funded by the Alfa dealer network.

Hyundai and KIA both have cars with could be NGTC-used. I30N being the obvious candidate but Hyundai as a brand are already doing WRC and TCR as a factory effort with it and may not see the benefit of a single national programme for brand exposure. But nothing stopping Speedworks staying Independant and going it alone, if they feel the desire to go down that path. Hyundai Dealer Team with Speedworks sounds good!
Old 28 Jun 2018, 22:53 (Ref:3833513)   #75
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
I think if Toyota wanted to run a works team with Speedworks it would have happened by now. Still you never know