Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 25 Jan 2002, 21:08 (Ref:204424)   #1
LucaBadoer
Veteran

United Kingdom
Harrogate, N Yorks.
LucaBadoer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
YES YES YES YES YES!!!! THe UK can now watch "Bernie TV"!!!

I'm sooooooooooo excited! Read this: (from Autosport website)

Satellite television company British Sky Broadcasting has sealed a two year deal to show live interactive coverage of Formula 1 from the start of this year. The pay-per-view, multi-angle coverage will be available on Sky Sports for all three days of a race weekend, starting with this year's Australian Grand Prix on March 3.

Formula 1's interactive coverage has so far only been available in other selected European countries including Germany and France. It features separate channels for exclusive in-car cameras, timing screens and pitlane reporters. British fans will be able to pay just one fee for each race weekend.

Formula 1 commercial boss Bernie Ecclestone said: "We're so pleased to be working with Sky and excited that F1 can offer British viewers such radically different coverage. It has taken time, with F1 investing heavily in the best broadcasting technology, so we can genuinely take fans closer. Now, alongside traditional race broadcasts, we can offer truly interactive coverage of grand prix weekends. It's going to be exceptional."

Sky Sports have already pioneered interactive football coverage over the last two years with innovations such as a 'player cam' which can follow one follow one highlighted player for an entire match. The deal to show F1 coverage on BSB will make the interactive service available to over five million homes.

Sky Sports managing director Vic Wakeling said: "F1 viewers are among the most technically aware of all sports fans and they will be excited by this new service - the depth of information available and the choice of how to watch every race. The interactive experience we have gained since the launch of Sky Digital also allows us to work together to enhance and develop the service further over the next couple of seasons."
Old 25 Jan 2002, 21:12 (Ref:204427)   #2
Speedworx
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northamptonshire
Speedworx should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't have Sky Sports and even if I did, I wouldn't watch it on Pay-per-view!
Old 25 Jan 2002, 21:27 (Ref:204437)   #3
Damon
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hampshire, England
Damon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Doh! someone beat me too it!! This is just fantastic news, I for one will definatly be tuning into this pay per view service. No mention of how much it'll cost though
Old 25 Jan 2002, 21:31 (Ref:204443)   #4
Schoey
Rookie

Schoey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
More details here too:

http://www.sky.com/skysports/article...042087,00.html

Guess the question is... how much?

£9.99 a weekend? £14.99 a weekend? My guess is on the latter.

Come on, let's face it - it ain't going to be at a bargain, knock-down price, is it?!

And PPV events on Sky aren't exactly cheap at the moment.
Old 25 Jan 2002, 21:51 (Ref:204454)   #5
BBKing
Veteran

BBKing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I was thinking in the price as well. Just thinking what to expect when they have the service avaible here in States. Then again there are quite a few cable or satellite crackers that could come handy if the prices are too high...LOL
Old 25 Jan 2002, 22:18 (Ref:204465)   #6
Schoey
Rookie

Schoey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by BBKing
I was thinking in the price as well. Just thinking what to expect when they have the service avaible here in States. Then again there are quite a few cable or satellite crackers that could come handy if the prices are too high...LOL
Sounds like a good option! Sadly, the Sky Digital platform has been built very cleverly to make it almost impossible to crack or pirate, which is no doubt one the reasons why the service has been made available to Sky (at the right price no doubt). I'm sure that Bernie Ecclestone isn't the (?) richest man in the world for letting TV companies get F1 rights for a bit of a bargain!

There isn't much competition for pay TV services in the UK, and Sky is probably the only provider with the expandable bandwidth available to provide the service, as ITV digital are saddled with a limited amount of capacity and a limited background in offering interactive services. In addition, many of the cable companies appear to be suffering from a similar problem with capacity and interactivity experience, together with substantial business/financial issues at present.

I think you'll probably end up paying a lot less in the US than we will here in the UK (when the deal is finally done), as a result of a more established PPV industry, greater competition for the interactive rights between the cable/DTH satellite operators, and the general price point of existing PPV events. I'd be thinking that the weekend is likely to cost a similar amount to a PPV boxing or wrestling event, with perhaps an additional premium for the 3 day nature of the coverage. That's the reasoning behind my guess at £14.99.

Last edited by Schoey; 25 Jan 2002 at 22:20.
Old 25 Jan 2002, 22:38 (Ref:204481)   #7
BBKing
Veteran

BBKing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Great stuff Schoey.
It would probably be worth of paying for it. Last year we had Bernievision for the US GP and was excellent. Things that you will never see in the normal Speedvision coverage.
Old 25 Jan 2002, 23:28 (Ref:204507)   #8
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
Great news at last, the only problem is that now we have to junk our cable system...
Old 26 Jan 2002, 00:50 (Ref:204527)   #9
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!
£14.99 ? To watch it on TV ?! You all have gotta be mad!
Old 26 Jan 2002, 04:10 (Ref:204578)   #10
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
how many people watch formula 1 in the uk??.............4 million?? i can't see 105 of those 4 million forking out 15 quid every other weekend!

sky have got to start off at a cheaper price to get it's customer base for the longer run. i don't mind paying a fiver every other weekend and once i get the benefit of their coverage i don't suppose i'll give it up! but if they want 15 quid (straight away) they can stick it up their a*se!!!
Old 26 Jan 2002, 09:37 (Ref:204619)   #11
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
Craig and Mr V you took the words right out of my mouth. When you already pay over £30 a month for Sky Digital I think it's a rip off to expect people to pay £15 every other weekend to watch F1. Like you I shall not be paying to watch it on principle!
Old 26 Jan 2002, 10:49 (Ref:204630)   #12
Speedworx
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northamptonshire
Speedworx should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm going to stick with ITV. Its a shame Eurosport don't have F1 anymore, as their coverage was excellent.
Old 26 Jan 2002, 13:09 (Ref:204681)   #13
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
"On race day, viewers will see live uninterrupted race coverage, choose from a range of alternative views, access a stream of statistics and gain exclusive access behind the scenes of the Grand Prix.

During qualifying and practice, viewers will be able to choose between different live feeds, view race preparations and access key highlights." - SKY sports

No more terrible producers.
No more Jim Rosentile
No more James Allen
No more Jangle Jangle
I'll miss Brundle though.

"The frustration of having to sit passively in front of a television set - wanting to know more, wanting to see something different - will be a dark and distant memory." - from SKY sports.

I will be signing up!

Of course if you don't want to get it then you don't have to!
Old 26 Jan 2002, 13:16 (Ref:204685)   #14
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
The problem is, I have cable at the moment.
Should be easy enough to change.
Old 26 Jan 2002, 13:21 (Ref:204687)   #15
timbo2001
Racer

timbo2001 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
BUT WHAT AM I SUPPOSED TO DO?!!?!? I LIVE IN AUSTRALIA FOR CRYIN' OUT LOUD! IT WILL BE YEARS BEFORE WE SEE IT HERE DOWN UNDER..I DON'T KNOW IF I CAN STAND MUCH MORE OF JAMES ALLEN EITHER...
Old 26 Jan 2002, 13:35 (Ref:204694)   #16
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
Of course, at the end of the day we each have to make our own decisions as to whether to pay for the Sky coverage or to stick with ITV who I think do a pretty good job given the circumstances.

For me it's a matter of principle. Because I pay the top rate for Sky Digital (over £30 per month) I don't see why I should be asked to pay even more to watch a Grand Prix. The same applies to Boxing which is almost exclusively Pay Per View. If I have to pay for the Grand Prix, then why do I pay £30+ per month?
Old 26 Jan 2002, 13:39 (Ref:204698)   #17
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
My parents will be especially off when I tell them this! F1 coverage on top of £37 per month!

I'll probably give it a go and see if i like it.
Old 26 Jan 2002, 13:39 (Ref:204699)   #18
LucaBadoer
Veteran

United Kingdom
Harrogate, N Yorks.
LucaBadoer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A little help??

Which package to choose???

http://www1.sky.com/skycomhome/getsk...products04.htm
Old 26 Jan 2002, 13:42 (Ref:204701)   #19
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Quote:
Originally posted by Stephen Green
then why do I pay £30+ per month?
for all the other channels?
Imagine if you didn't like GP and your subscription went up by a quid to pay for it!
But, as you say, you don't have to pay.
I would object if the GP coverage was PPV only, but it's unlikely that will ever happen due to the manufacturer/sponsors wanting the maximum exposure.
Old 26 Jan 2002, 13:48 (Ref:204705)   #20
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Adam, I take your point about all the other channels, but to be brutally honest it's not really worth the £37 a month if you look at the number of 'classic' channels and repeats. I choose to continue to pay for two reasons:

1. I take the movie channels and now won't pay for my kids to rent videos.
2. I like to see Champ Cars and other motorsport that never gets shown on ITV or BBC

If you look at the number of times each program is repeated it really isn't as good a deal as it looks. Still I can watch Sky News, CNN et al before setting off for work at 06.20 in the morning.
Old 26 Jan 2002, 13:59 (Ref:204711)   #21
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
My parents have often thought of getting rid of the movie channels, then just getting a movie of box office when required.

Without the music or sports channel, Sky would be boring. But my parents insist on keeping Sky as it is the future.
Old 26 Jan 2002, 14:05 (Ref:204712)   #22
Rob29
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire,UK
Rob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by AdamAshmore

for all the other channels?
Imagine if you didn't like GP and your subscription went up by a quid to pay for it!
But, as you say, you don't have to pay.
I first signed up for Sky TV in March 1989,and it was free.A year later,they charged for the movie channel,but at least you go to see fairly recent movies without breaks.About another year or so later,they bought the rights to Premier League soccer,so decided to charge for the Sports channels.So since then I have to pay for the bloody footie that I don't watch in order to see the odd bit of motorsport!

Last edited by Rob29; 26 Jan 2002 at 14:08.
Old 26 Jan 2002, 16:57 (Ref:204795)   #23
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Good point Rob. At least Eurosport is still free but they seem to show less and less motor racing these days.
Old 26 Jan 2002, 18:09 (Ref:204815)   #24
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
i've still got the old analogue system installed as well as digital and i get to see the warm ups (albeit in german) on rtl and dsf for free but i can see that going on too much longer
Old 26 Jan 2002, 18:49 (Ref:204828)   #25
Tristan
Veteran

Tristan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I couldn't care less about this. I could not. Care. Any less.

Who cares about viewing the race through an in car camera??

I'D MISS THE WICKED PASS BY JPM ON TGF!!!

Cars going round and round and round. I honestly can't think of anything more dull. PLUS you have to pay for the privilage.

Gimme my free service with a person who shows me the race, changing camera angles and stuff without me having to press a sodding button.

Sky Sports extra's football coverage has bombed. No one watches it. No one will watch this either. At least I won't.