Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > National & International Single Seaters

Old 1 Aug 2005, 19:52 (Ref:1369571)   #1
Jock Loon
Rookie

Jock Loon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Is GP2 Bernie's F1 Puppy Dog?

Given the unquestionable farce that F1 has descended into over the past few years, is it fair to suggest GP2 is merely a carbon copy, intended to groom drivers for the inevitable circus act that they hope to reach one day?
Old 1 Aug 2005, 20:11 (Ref:1369591)   #2
Russfeld
Veteran

Russfeld should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If Bernie's dog is a 3-legged unwanted stray he likes to kick when he's bored....
Old 1 Aug 2005, 20:25 (Ref:1369602)   #3
sceptic
Veteran

sceptic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russfeld
If Bernie's dog is a 3-legged unwanted stray he likes to kick when he's bored....
So true...
Old 1 Aug 2005, 20:36 (Ref:1369618)   #4
Jock Loon
Rookie

Is there any truth in the story that should F1 teams stick to their guns and decide to go it alone, Bernie will turn GP2 into the new F1 as he holds the rights to stage races at certain circuits throughout the season.
Has the nasty wee man got the whole thing stitched up, hence the reason for similar rules and technology in GP2 to F1?
Old 1 Aug 2005, 20:57 (Ref:1369637)   #5
ensign14
Veteran

British Antarctic Territory
Deception Island
ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!
I believe Formula One Management (Bernie's mob) has registered "GP1" as a trademark...
Old 1 Aug 2005, 21:04 (Ref:1369649)   #6
Jock Loon
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ensign14
I believe Formula One Management (Bernie's mob) has registered "GP1" as a trademark...
Ah, that rings a bell now. What a stunning c... sorry a cunning stunt
Old 2 Aug 2005, 05:25 (Ref:1369820)   #7
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
He's registered GP1 as a trademark certainly, primarily to stop anyone else using that.

As for the original question - I don't think F1 is a farce, and similarly I think GP2 is an excellent series - and it's certainly been some of the best single-seater racing around this year.
Old 2 Aug 2005, 08:03 (Ref:1369885)   #8
Jock Loon
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kicking-back
He's registered GP1 as a trademark certainly, primarily to stop anyone else using that.

As for the original question - I don't think F1 is a farce, and similarly I think GP2 is an excellent series - and it's certainly been some of the best single-seater racing around this year.
I would disagree about F1, but that's not for this particular forum section I presume.
As for GP2, there has been some decent races, but I think the qualifying scenario is a bit lame. I don't see the need to 'tinker' with racing to the point where it rewards those who finish mid pack.

Any ideas or suggestions on how it could improved next season? I'd banish this reverse grid situation for a start and have two qualifying sessions on the Friday. It's unfair to punish those who may have been taken out on the 1st lap of the main race and send them to the back of the grid.
Old 2 Aug 2005, 08:43 (Ref:1369908)   #9
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The first race is good - it lets the drivers show their skills in a "normal" race.

The second race is about sheer entertainment for the fans - and it usually delivers - but as it is not "pure" there are fewer points on offer.

It seems a fair compromise.

GP2 seems to have realised the worth of putting on a good show, to get people interested in the series, rather than simply being another processional feeder formulae watched by one-man and his dog, a la F3 on many occasions.
Old 2 Aug 2005, 09:41 (Ref:1369948)   #10
flexible-flyer
Veteran

Northern Ireland
the british isles/ireland/ze vorrrld
flexible-flyer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
only thing i would change in gp2 is try and squeeze more friday track time in as half an hour per session isnt alot of time. im not too much of a fan of the fastest lap points either as increasingly those points are being handed to the person who has finished last in the race and won purley because they hada clear track. it aint right.

as for the race 2 format i beleive it couldnt be better. the race 1 top guns are not being punished too much. the leader is still in sight and a good start and some overtaking will please everyone. why have a race 2 with the grid positions unreversed? it would make for almost carbon copy results and while that may show who the better driver (or in gp2's case, team) is, it could get boring. with the reverse grid, a driver who might have suffered badly in qualifying and fought his way up to 8th in race won could still have a chance of victory. i think thats great. premat started smack last on saturday yet won the race on sunday.
Old 2 Aug 2005, 10:20 (Ref:1369978)   #11
Jock Loon
Rookie

I dunno, I'm all for making racing interesting for spectators and sponsors, but not at the detriment of the essence of sport. F1 has become comical in it's attempts to address the falling numbers of spectators and TV viewers. They fail to see that the fact that Sunday qualifying, using the same engine for two races, having to use your race fuel for qualifying, cut slicks etc etc, all have had a detrimental effect on the sport. I'd hate to see GP2 become a poor man's F1 and rather it was a springboard and stage for the best young drivers in the World, providing us with great entertainment.
Did F1 need all these gimmicks 10 years ago? Did it heck. They kept it simple and let the drivers do the talking. It's such a shame that the FIA pandered to Ferrari's attentions and introduced re-fuelling. That for me was the start of the charade that F1 has become.

GP2 in my opinion has the opportunity to become the purist form of racing as it is a one make series in rapid cars. Let's not spoil that by adding on reverse grids, compulsary pit stops and the like. Enthusiasts like racing, not circus acts.
Old 2 Aug 2005, 10:39 (Ref:1369994)   #12
N I Tram
Veteran

N I Tram should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think the reverse grid system is terrific. Race 1 is "the essence of the sport" which race 2 is "making racing interesting for spectators and sponsors", to use your words. The Premat example is excellent - when you're starting out in a new championship, poor qwualifying shouldn't spoil your weekend. Also,w e get to se whether the really fast guys cna overtake, and whether the guys who start up the front in race 2 carn defend or pull away given a clear track. F3000 desperately needed an overhaul to make it exciting and relevent, and GP2 has done that marvellously.
Old 2 Aug 2005, 10:53 (Ref:1370004)   #13
Kicking-back
Veteran

Exactly.

F3000 raced in a "pure" format for a long-time and no-one cared.

If GP2 can be entertaining and become commercially successful, maybe some teams will work out they could get sponsors themselves, rather than sitting back and waiting for drivers.
Old 2 Aug 2005, 12:40 (Ref:1370099)   #14
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
for me the interesting thing about gp2 is the branding and marketing. they're marketing it as a whole rather than f1 which is marketed by individual teams, so the two could never be similar from that basis alone.
Old 2 Aug 2005, 14:07 (Ref:1370167)   #15
DanFlag
Veteran

Canada
Montréal, Québec, Canada
DanFlag should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDanFlag should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
GP2 Rulez!!!!
Old 2 Aug 2005, 16:17 (Ref:1370249)   #16
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Not sure I'd go that far Dan, but it's been a big improvement on F3000 in every way, including as a measure of driver skill relative to other drivers. I can't imagine anyone who can't score points in a season of GP2 doing well in F1 later the way ALbers has, for example.
Old 4 Aug 2005, 02:47 (Ref:1371565)   #17
Mekola
Veteran

Kiribati
Atlantis
Mekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kicking-back
If GP2 can be entertaining and become commercially successful, maybe some teams will work out they could get sponsors themselves, rather than sitting back and waiting for drivers.
Nonetheless some current GP2 teams have sponsors by themselves, like Arden International (Red Bull), Super Nova (Nova Group), Racing Engineering (Repsol-YPF, Telefónica) and Campos Racing (Lease Plan).
Old 4 Aug 2005, 05:20 (Ref:1371611)   #18
Boro
Racer

Boro should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanFlag
GP2 Rulez!!!!

another fan here.

ever since imola i find myself glued to watching gp2 more than i do f1