Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Racers Forum

Old 12 Jan 2009, 13:54 (Ref:2369933)   #1
PTRACER
Racer

England
Romford, Essex, U.K.
PTRACER should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Jays Racewear not selling non-Jays branded racewear/helmets this year

I sent an enquiry to them as I still need to buy helmet/gloves/shoes/fireproof underwear etc.

They told me as of last week, they have decided to not replace their stock of helmets, gloves or shoes for the coming season and due to the cost of materials sky rocketing (thanks to the Pound becoming weak against the Euro), they've had to increase their prices all round for their own brand name stuff.

I'm starting to wonder whether 2009 is the right time to start my motor racing career after all.
Old 12 Jan 2009, 14:06 (Ref:2369938)   #2
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
2010 could be worse so if you have the money now, give it a go.
Old 13 Jan 2009, 20:50 (Ref:2370894)   #3
Eddy V
Veteran

Belgium
Belgium & UK
Eddy V should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridEddy V should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
*cough* Snell 2010 is coming. *cough* So who will stock "old" helmets?
Old 13 Jan 2009, 23:29 (Ref:2371000)   #4
RF_Racer
Veteran

RF_Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Buy your racewear now, as UK stock dries up, new stock will attract a stupid mark up due to the weak pound against the Euro and price on Arai helmets are going through roof, the yen was 240 to the pound last summer, now its as low as 127.
Old 15 Jan 2009, 19:56 (Ref:2372239)   #5
jerryk
Racer

United Kingdom
jerryk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy V
*cough* Snell 2010 is coming. *cough* So who will stock "old" helmets?
nasty cough Eddy not bronchitis i hope . need to rub your chest with camphorated oil and brown paper.
Old 15 Jan 2009, 21:06 (Ref:2372295)   #6
Eddy V
Veteran

Belgium
Belgium & UK
Eddy V should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridEddy V should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Old 20 Jan 2009, 17:40 (Ref:2375456)   #7
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Straight from the horse's mouth.....Jays bought their "non-Jays" stock from GPR which makes selling them difficult now. They were basically running it as a convenience for their customers anyway.

Jays have put their prices up quite substantially. The website's back online with new prices, the raw material prices have soared because of the £.

So I'm not profiteering, honest guv!
Old 22 Jan 2009, 09:39 (Ref:2376664)   #8
socram
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
socram should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsocram should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
We have just put up the prices of all our racesuits, but the NZ dollar isn't too strong either! Our suits are made in NZ not China, but we still have to import fabric.

Have you thought about a new helmet but a secondhand suit?
Old 22 Jan 2009, 14:48 (Ref:2376860)   #9
PTRACER
Racer

England
Romford, Essex, U.K.
PTRACER should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've since already got a brand new helmet, gloves and shoes, already have the suit, just need the fireproofs now. Hate to say it, but I think I might be going to DT's for those. I'm going for the cheapest I can find of everything, because that's all I can afford. Hence by the time I'm done, I will have spent under £500 for everything I need.
Old 23 Jan 2009, 10:57 (Ref:2377434)   #10
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Grab what you can. Jays underwear prices have increased a bit, Sabelt have gone through the roof. Nothing's going to come down in the foreseeable future...

Try Nick at AWS, his prices used to be a bit less than others as long as you don't mind a duller finish to the fabric. I stopped selling it 'cos my customers prefer genuine ecru or white finish but you all may change your mind when you've looked at 09 prices!