Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Motorsport Art & Photography

Old 7 Mar 2003, 21:57 (Ref:528146)   #1
woodyracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
uk
woodyracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
panning shots

assuming you use autofocus, do you keep the autofocus working while panning shots ? or does that depend on the camera ? my Canon USM lens is supposed to have a pretty quick autofocus.
Or should I focus on the car when i see it then just follow it through with the focus set ?

thanks for any advice.
Old 7 Mar 2003, 22:55 (Ref:528225)   #2
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
On the EOS 30 make sure it's set to AI Servo. If you are using the Sports pre-set this is already done for you. Half-press the shutter as the car approaches and keep it held down. The camera will adjust the focus as necessary until you fully depress the button.

You might have a slight problem if you are very close to the car or it's travelling very quickly but in general the EOS should have no problems keeping up.
Old 8 Mar 2003, 01:33 (Ref:528381)   #3
woodyracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
uk
woodyracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
right, ok thanks.
I remember when i last used it, i was keeping the autofocus pressed.
Old 8 Mar 2003, 06:53 (Ref:528577)   #4
Red
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest, Romania
Red should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It works nicely with AI servo (eos 50 here) if you take 1 shot per panning. But if you take multiple shots you'll find that 4 frames per second much reduced (and what's more annoying is that the camera actually fires when it decides that's the right time) I usually use Autofocus, but 1-shot setting. Or prefocus the area and use manual focus.
Old 10 Mar 2003, 14:30 (Ref:531426)   #5
KC
Veteran

United States
Tulsa, Oklahoma, USA
KC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I manually focus on panning shots as my Canon and the aftermarket lens just are not fast enough. The camera does not have predictive focus. After some practice I have gotten pretty good at focus tracking fast moving race cars.
Never forget #99