Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 22 Feb 2004, 23:07 (Ref:882241)   #1
RM40
Racer

RM40 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
FIA Bans

I am not really knew to F1. I have watched it in the past, but don't get it any more. I merely watched it for the cool cars, but am now more interested in the technical aspects of the cars. After reading the thread on the Launch-Control ban I was curious as to what else has been banned.

What I have so far:
- X-Wing (97 Tyrrel)
- Vesitgal Wing (94 McLaren, don't even know what it looks like)
- Launch-Control
- Electric Fans on the back of the car (created vacuum and downforce, right?)

Now I am not talking about regulations restricing to certain engine, tire, wheel sizes and types, but what has been out-and-out banned by the FIA. I would appreciate any replies.
Old 22 Feb 2004, 23:12 (Ref:882243)   #2
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
"third brake pedal" system, pioneered by Mclaren, and run by Williams and Jordan in 1998, but a protest by Ferrari had the item banned by the FIA.
Old 22 Feb 2004, 23:16 (Ref:882250)   #3
RM40
Racer

RM40 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What exactly did it do? Can you recommend a website with information like this on it?

And I just remembered one more; any type of moveable aerodynamic devices, right?
Old 22 Feb 2004, 23:29 (Ref:882265)   #4
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
It allowed the driver to operate the rear brakes independantly from the front brakes.
Ferrari and the rest of the teams had the item banned.

Also Active suspension was banned in 1994.
Also V12 engines are "no longer allowed".
Old 23 Feb 2004, 00:54 (Ref:882307)   #5
type49
Rookie

type49 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
High mounted wings acting on hubs, moveable aero divices all types, the original ground effect venturi tunnels
Old 23 Feb 2004, 01:04 (Ref:882317)   #6
CVT
Rookie

CVT should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i think those Ferrari Delta shaped front wings of 98-99 got banned as well
Old 23 Feb 2004, 04:40 (Ref:882426)   #7
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Obvious one: More than 4 wheels. (eg. 6 wheels)
ABS.
4WD is illegal too I believe...right?
As for engine I thought they said specifically 3.0L V10? Meaning no V12s and no I3s.

Last edited by Snrub; 23 Feb 2004 at 04:41.
Old 23 Feb 2004, 11:23 (Ref:882672)   #8
Raglanparade
Veteran

Australia
Raglanparade should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
When Toyota joined f1 they wanted to run a V12 unit and bernie told them where they could put that idea.
I think it would be good for the sport if they were allowed to run whatever engine configurations they liked, as long as they were 3.0L . what is the harm in variety?
There should be a rule that the team needs to keep the same engine configuration all season.
that way you could see the V12 teams up the front at monza, and the v8 teams up the front at monaco and hungary..
it would be interesting to see what would happen if they opened up that rule.

Pit to Car date transferral is banned now.
Launch control banned.
tyrell winglets banned.
skirts are banned
difusers must be of standard size.
fuel cannot be rocket fuel.
drivers must wear fire protection and helmets.
not to mention seat belts.
the drivers arent allowed to pass anywhere but in the pit lane
in the event of michael schumacher looking like losing the world title all drivers must pull over and let him pass.
i think these are most of the major rules.

-jason
Old 23 Feb 2004, 12:21 (Ref:882706)   #9
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Fans (off the Brabham fan car)

Slick tyres
Old 23 Feb 2004, 13:26 (Ref:882761)   #10
cos
Veteran

England
cos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
These crazy wing things:
Attached Thumbnails
1.jpg  
Old 23 Feb 2004, 13:28 (Ref:882763)   #11
cos
Veteran

England
cos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
And again...
Attached Thumbnails
2.jpg  
Old 23 Feb 2004, 15:17 (Ref:882859)   #12
Phoenix1
Veteran

Phoenix1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by racer69
Fans (off the Brabham fan car)
Not banned. Knowing Bernie he probably got something in exchange for not running them apart from the publicity in the papers at the time!

Last edited by Phoenix1; 23 Feb 2004 at 15:17.
Old 23 Feb 2004, 15:54 (Ref:882889)   #13
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
You're not allowed turbos
Old 23 Feb 2004, 17:49 (Ref:883008)   #14
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Slick tyres.
Old 23 Feb 2004, 17:50 (Ref:883010)   #15
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Suspension can't be used as a wing.....think that came in for the 1997 season.
Old 24 Feb 2004, 08:22 (Ref:883673)   #16
golem
Veteran

golem should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yep.
Current regs state engine capacity not in excess of 3000cc with ten cylinders, which must be four stroke reciprocating type, can not be supercharged (which includes turbocharging, and must have circular cross section. Oval pistons are not allowed for example. Finally, 5 valves per cylinder max.

No variable geometry manifolds, no artificial induction temperature droppers, no carbon/aramid allowed in the block/head/piston, cranks and rods must be steel or cast iron.

However, I think you could quite feasably run a VW style W10 motor with a ceramic fibre composite for example... it doesn't actually say that it needs 2 banks of cylinders, and that the composites banned are only aramid and carbon types.
If you could make it work (which I think is very possible), you could have a flat 10. There is no mention of a V configuration.

No part of the bodywork is allowed to move while the car is in motion, meaning static aerodynamic configs, but allowed to change in the pits. No part of the suspension is allowed to generate downforce.

Flat underbodies, so no venturi tunnels etc.
Fuel is now very strictly controlled in it's content. (No more late eighties/early nineties 'rocket' fuel.)

No Continuously variable tranny's, must be at least 4 gears and max of 7, no torque splitting diffs.
Gawky supermodels may look stunning in the right clothes, on the right catwalk, in the right city, but in an M&S jumper, on a crowded street, on a wet Wednesday afternoon, only classic good looks will catch the eye. - Ian Eveleigh.
Old 24 Feb 2004, 08:37 (Ref:883683)   #17
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
The thing is, whats stopping ford making a 3010cc engine, I mean do the FIA actually check or measure the fuel/air capacity within the cylinders?
Old 24 Feb 2004, 11:40 (Ref:883859)   #18
Raglanparade
Veteran

Australia
Raglanparade should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thats a good point, but i would feel that before each season each team would have to give there engine to the FIA and they would check to make sure the capacity was legal.
whats to stop the teams boring out there engines about 3000cc ? well there is the risk of being caught for a start, not to mention how finally strung a F1 engine is that any change in Geometry would screw it up majorly.

Isn't there a rule about deformable structures ?
Old 24 Feb 2004, 16:05 (Ref:884130)   #19
golem
Veteran

golem should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There's heaps more, take a look at www.fia.com and find the section marked technical regulations, then the pdf under the F1 banner. You'll find it there.
Gawky supermodels may look stunning in the right clothes, on the right catwalk, in the right city, but in an M&S jumper, on a crowded street, on a wet Wednesday afternoon, only classic good looks will catch the eye. - Ian Eveleigh.
Old 24 Feb 2004, 19:31 (Ref:884349)   #20
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I could have sworn the connecting rods were titanium?
Old 24 Feb 2004, 19:49 (Ref:884380)   #21
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally posted by The Monster

Also V12 engines are "no longer allowed".
Rather ironic that one. All the teams voted against re-fuelling with the exception of one team...........Ferrari. Ferrari were running a V12, the only team to do so, so re-fuelling was ideal for them. The ironic thing, Ferrari no longer use V12's, V12's are in actual fact now banned and the sport is stuck with re-fuelling.
Old 24 Feb 2004, 19:56 (Ref:884399)   #22
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
V12's or re-fuelling? Hmmm....
Old 24 Feb 2004, 20:03 (Ref:884411)   #23
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
jhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I believe they also banned six wheel cars. Do the regs now read that a car must have four wheels?
Old 24 Feb 2004, 20:11 (Ref:884426)   #24
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Yes.